What is your opinion of Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: What is your opinion of Super?

Post by DHM211 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:47 pm

For the Anime version I'd say overall 6/10.

Battle of Gods arc: 3/10

Resurrection 'F' arc: 3/10 (without episodes 16 and 18, 1/10)

Universe 6 arc: 5/10

Potaufeu arc: 4/10

Goku Black arc: 9/10

9 weeks of peace arc: 8/10

Universal Survival arc(so far): 8/10

For the Manga version I'd say overall all 3 arcs have been a solid 7 so it rounds out to 7/10.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:42 pm

Oh crap, I forgot to mention the manga version in my first post.

Well, to be blunt, it's honestly the better and definitely the most enjobably version of Super. Toyotaro's start was rough, but he's getting better and better and the art's really catching my eye. At this point, I'd probably rank it a 7.6/10. It could be better, but it's definitely getting up there in terms of quality. The anime gets a 4.9/10 IMO.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed May 31, 2017 11:50 pm

Disregarding the first two arcs of the anime version, Dragon Ball Super has been a great deal of fun and has facilitated some of the greatest moments in all Dragon Ball history. I would not choose to return to a world without Super Saiyan Rose', Arale kicking Vegeta's ass, or #17 sparring with Goku. The good has significantly outweighed the bad.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Wed May 31, 2017 11:54 pm

I'm very happy to see Dragon Ball back and with new style animation. I'm talking about the anime because I don't follow the manga. But the 3 biggest misses for me:

1) Not bringing in a strong new character for Universe 7 in the battle against Universe 6

2) Not bringing in a strong new character for the Tournament of Power when they chose to sit Buu down for Frieza which overall is a massive mistake

3) SSJ Rage not making any sense on a power scale level. How can it be on par with the power of Gods?
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:11 am

Solid 7/10 all around aside from 9/10 on Zamasu arc.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:22 am

It's kind of early, but as of now....it's just a fun side thing if you want new Dragon Ball. The anime version is extremely inconsistent, and the manga version is extremely safe.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:29 am

I'll give it a 4/10. Everything from storytelling to music to art and animation falls flat on its face. Super does an awesome job of introducing cool and fresh new premises and ideas yet fails in the execution in almost every way. If toei gave the attention and respect the name Dragonball deserves to super, you'll be looking at a worthy successor to Z. As of now due to its fast pace, senseless power scaling and failure to fully flesh out its ideas and lore it ranks no better than GT. Also this is something more of a personal taste but i cannot stand u6 saiyans. Just so lame.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:10 am

Zephyr wrote: The broad, overarching story beats and plot points; that which has come from Toriyama's mind and hands themselves:
I think that, when viewing each arc's draft/outline as an individual chapter, Toriyama's overarching "story arc" here is pretty cool. I enjoy the personality that a lot of these characters have, and the accompanying worldbuilding. The only problem I have with this dimension of Super is the time frame. It's an interquel. At best, it can only complement the already-existing ending that Toriyama seems deathly afraid of moving past. I think these bits of worldbuilding would make infinitely more sense in a post-GT timeframe. In GT, we explored our entire universe. In Super, we move beyond our universe. It makes sense from an out-of-universe perspective that we've increased the scales as such, but in-universe, it just seems odd to go from something incredibly large in scope, to something so much smaller in scope. All that being said, I won't hold that over Toriyama's head with too much severity, as since this new material is all created and published after GT, I believe it is also rightfully consumed after GT as well. So from the viewer's perspective, things increase in scale in a reasonable order, despite the in-universe details.
Yeah but you know, for some people GT like, doesn't count?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:23 am

Saturnine wrote:
Zephyr wrote: The broad, overarching story beats and plot points; that which has come from Toriyama's mind and hands themselves:
I think that, when viewing each arc's draft/outline as an individual chapter, Toriyama's overarching "story arc" here is pretty cool. I enjoy the personality that a lot of these characters have, and the accompanying worldbuilding. The only problem I have with this dimension of Super is the time frame. It's an interquel. At best, it can only complement the already-existing ending that Toriyama seems deathly afraid of moving past. I think these bits of worldbuilding would make infinitely more sense in a post-GT timeframe. In GT, we explored our entire universe. In Super, we move beyond our universe. It makes sense from an out-of-universe perspective that we've increased the scales as such, but in-universe, it just seems odd to go from something incredibly large in scope, to something so much smaller in scope. All that being said, I won't hold that over Toriyama's head with too much severity, as since this new material is all created and published after GT, I believe it is also rightfully consumed after GT as well. So from the viewer's perspective, things increase in scale in a reasonable order, despite the in-universe details.
Yeah but you know, for some people GT like, doesn't count?
As best as we can tell, it certainly doesn't count to Toriyama, the author of the general body of work that is Dragon Ball, so I think it's best to keep that in mind when evaluating new stories. That said, GT does exist, and I'm the last one who you'll see advocating to disregard non-Toriyama material just because it makes the continuity more convenient.
Retired.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:59 am

I'm sticking around, so it goes without saying I've got a tiny bit of interest in the series even though that interest is mostly towards behind the scenes stuff and not the product overall.

We've had similar threads like this and my opinion is more or less the same as before. Dragon Ball Super is fucked at the foundation. The core elements of a series that is necessary for me to call a show above average is not there. Character designs? God awful. Music? Bland and adds nothing to the show and as pointed out, it's missing the wuxia. There are one or two tracks that are good, but it doesn't have any identity and rarely adds impact. SFX? Just bad. Totally undermines the good animation cuts. Characterization? Ranges from fine to absolutely insufferable. The time slot is problematic as well and it's probably why the producers play it so safe.

That said, I like certain things. The cast is performing much better. There are some great performances like Nozawa's Black, Yamadera's Beers even though I can't stand Beers' characterization, Koorogi's Zen'ou and Miki's Zamasu. The new female characters are promising with again great seiyuus. There are some genuinely good animation highs. Bun-Sun Lee and Sato Miyuki's art direction have been pretty damn good.

The overall product though is an inconsistent mess which is horribly planned by its production committee and the biggest reason why the product is the way it is.

If I have to give a number, I'll give it a 4. Below average.

EDIT: It doesn't hold a candle to the original series(both Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z) and not a successor worth remembering as far as I'm concerned. While I don't think the original series is the "BEST THING EVER" like fans do, I find it average infact compared to other series' -- but, it certainly had more impact and was much better produced with a vision.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:57 am

Saturnine wrote:Yeah but you know, for some people GT like, doesn't count?
That's a fair point, but it doesn't seem to explicitly "not count" in the minds of anyone who matters (i.e.: official legal rights-holders to the franchise, and those authorized to make new stories). GT stuff is still present in video games. It's still getting merchandise. Are we supposed to assume it's been "scrapped" because it no longer coheres as well in-universe? Toei seems to release a new episode that has just that defect every odd week (count the number of "power scaling issues" or extra years added onto the timeline that Toei's responsible for). Toriyama has gone on record several times saying that he has no interest in moving past the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, so I don't see him taking it upon himself to become this paragon of the cannons and "overwrite GT into a good story" any time soon. The guy drawing the Super manga, seemingly Toriyama's new protege, who is apparently frequently prodded by Toriyama himself to start adding his own ideas, who is now even designing new characters (and making very obvious GT references in that venture), got his start drawing a manga that takes GT into account.

I just really don't see them completely retconning GT out of existence, and replacing it with some completely alien story (different character designs, story beats, transformations, enemies, etc) in the exact same time frame. I could see them retelling it (god knows how they love to retell the same stories with different details), but that's about it.

I mean, admittedly my gripe (Super not taking place after GT) is a pretty small one. But I think it still has merit, since GT is evidently not going anywhere, whether they make any explicit attempt to tie the two together or not.

Misirius

Post by Misirius » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:45 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
DrakenballP wrote:
Yedis wrote:
Probably an Artistic decision not to give them tails because having a tail at this point is not really necessary, because of the SSJ transformations
But a Saiyan is born with a tail. This is disgraceful.
I'm pretty sure Vegeta and company only had tails because Goku did and his own race had to have them too.

I loved the tail though and wish it would come back. I always wanted a tail like kid goku.
Toriyama already said it's a recessive type gene. U6 Saiyans had more time to evolve, and so, because of recessive genetics, they lost their tails. It's completely plausible.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:53 am

Misirius wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
DrakenballP wrote:
But a Saiyan is born with a tail. This is disgraceful.
I'm pretty sure Vegeta and company only had tails because Goku did and his own race had to have them too.

I loved the tail though and wish it would come back. I always wanted a tail like kid goku.
Toriyama already said it's a recessive type gene. U6 Saiyans had more time to evolve, and so, because of recessive genetics, they lost their tails. It's completely plausible.
Wait what did that have to do with me? I knew that. I was just saying I dont think he ever had an idea for a species with tails...but rather since Kid Goku had one his race needed one too at the time.

After that tge tails were written out extremely quickly and Gokus had been already.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:20 am

The Battle Of Gods retelling was quite decent despite its problems, one half of the Resurrection F retelling was abysmal and one of the low points of the franchise and the other half was mildly inoffensive, the Champa/Universe 6 arc was really entertaining despite it basically being a throwaway tournament, the Future Trunks arc still kicks major ass after repeated re-viewings and is among some of the best arcs in all of Dragon Ball, 90% of the filler episode range from decent to just flat out great, and the current arc is really good.

The manga is also very good. And in relation to the anime, since a comparison will be inevitable, I like the manga a lot for its more consistent art style, streamlined story and workable power scale. But it comes at the cost of actual character development, or in some cases very rushed character development, and breather periods which helped the story feel more engrossing and less rushed. Yes, the manga has better pacing but the overall narrative, despite having much less fat compared to how dragged out the anime can get at time, especially if you imagine a scenario where the anime doesn't exist, feels so half baked. It just lacks that "wow" factor that the anime gave us at times and it doesn't do enough to make me care for what happens. Having power consistency is one thing, but making me care about the fate of the characters and being personally invested in them is another. And the manga just doesn't cut the mustard for me in that regard in comparison to the anime, despite the anime's many shortcomings in itself. Nevertheless, I think the manga and anime do well in complementing each other and cancelling out their weakness and playing up to their strengths and both mediums deserves their fair share of praise and criticism for what they've done well and what they haven't done well. I mean, considering that the manga is basically a promotion tool for the anime, the fact that it manages to handle some aspects of the story better than the anime is something that truly had to be admired for what is basically a glorified advertisement of a show that was blatantly created for the purpose of pimping out more toys and cards. Toyotaro is very much a fan of the franchise and his love for Dragon Ball overflows into the manga with his call backs, homages, uses of gaga and how he overall crafts and re-envisions the plot outline from Toriyama.

Super shows a lot of promise with it's lore and can be very engaging even during it's most uneventful episodes, but the show overall still has many rough edges with its inconsistent animation, occasionally flat soundtrack and the unappealing current Yamamuro artstyle. On certain days, when Super wants to be great, it can be really great. But when it's awful, holy shit, is it awful. Ever since the Champa/Universe 6 arc, the show has really pick up in terms of overall quality and Future Trunks arc has show the potential of how great Super can be. Let's just hope that direction continues for the foreseeable future.

As it stands, Dragon Ball Super (Anime) is a 7.5/10 and the Dragon Ball Super (Manga) is a 7/10. But if were to take both mediums into consideration, as a whole, Dragon Ball Super is an 8.5/10.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:55 am

Misirius wrote: Toriyama already said it's a recessive type gene. U6 Saiyans had more time to evolve, and so, because of recessive genetics, they lost their tails. It's completely plausible.
But with only 3 U6 Saiyans and them not being too far off from Goku's age (I'd estimate a 20 year age difference) where were these U6 Saiyan's during the time of Planet Vegeta. How are these beings on a separate planet? Do they not all originate in the same area? How have they had time to progress and become less primitive?
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:58 am

- Long response got erased cuz chrome was a dick -

tldr: Super is a wild ride, with highs and lows. It's lows aren't as low as GT but it's highs are definitely as high as Z's. It gets a 8/10 for now
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

supersaiyan1993

Post by supersaiyan1993 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:34 am

i have mixed feelings for the anime. some really good parts like kaio ken x10 however there is equally bad parts aswell like gokus character and that vegeta clone arc (cant remember the name ). the manga on the other hand is consistently good and imo super anime shouldve been more like.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:34 am

Despite the first 2 arcs being all over the place in terms of writing and quality, the arcs since then and slice of life episode have been satisfying enough. Far from perfect but so far I am enjoying it.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:51 am

DBS is ok at best,at times is fun and sometimes boring, Lord Beerus pretty much sums up my thoughts​ on both mediums,the Anime and Manga gets a 7 or a 6 in my book,the Anime is entertaining and the filler episode are fun and lastly the battle maybe some are bad but when is good,is really good but it has bad characterization on some character, inconsistency, padding and the animation is flat at times
    The manga,the art is consistent,the battle are funs and it offer a better streamlined story than the Anime making it easy to read, but it also have problem like the overusage of homages,too much exposition, inconsistency and lastly the pacing is off at times
    Mostly active on discord.

Grimlock
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:07 am

Dragon Ball Super is a cool work on its own and when we're referring to new material (Universe 6 and Future Trunks sagas). But it has so much potential to do further and beyond. At this point, they do know that bringing stuff that we "wouldn't" originally see or expect would work just fine but they just want to "keep its identity" for some reason, like bringing back Vegetto when easily Gogeta could be the one appearing, for example. I'll give the manga version a plus because Super Saiyan God Vegeta and the Final Kamehameha in both versions, it was the only time they left the "safe zone" for a change.

We really need more new stuff, not tournaments after tournaments. Something in the lines of Future Trunks but using other characters instead of bringing back ones that don't actually need to return. Give room for other characters to develop themselves; Dragon Ball Super needs to stop using the "nostalgia factor" which not only is not working anymore, is affecting everything else, like Goten and mainly Trunks still being short when they should be taller by this point. Goku and Vegeta returning to their old outfits when it was said that the new ones were way better and etc. Dragon Ball Super needs to get out of the safe zone more often and add the unexpected to the lore, if running out of ideas, do not repeat something from the past unless it's something that needs more development/screentime. Stop using the same old villain when there are other ones that would do better.
    We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~