"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Wow this game looks really good. We also have Golden Freeza in the trailer. So stuff from Super may be in the game after all.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bullza
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:45 pm

I don't know if this game is for me, it looks like one of those spazzy, hyperactive, flashy, ADHD games.

I also bet it has a fraction of the content of Xenoverse 2 as well. We'll see though, they should have made something more like Tekken.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:48 pm

I saw the trailer, and holy hell the Games look good,2.5 d madness with crazy combo, remind me of marvel vs Capcom
Mostly active on discord.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:48 pm

I wanna be composed a type a paragraph about how this is my dream Dragon Ball game and how this is the game I've wanted since Super Dragon Ball Z and how finally we're gonna get a real fighter again and how finally Dragon Ball might be relevant in the FGC and oh god LET'S GO, RIGHT NOW, DRAGON BALL FIGHTERZ, LET'S GO.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:55 pm

So warning for you all, SSj3 Goku and Golden Freeza might not be playable characters. They both seem to be instant-kill moves, which is a very common trope in ArcSys games. They may be playable, but I'm just warning against getting excited until official confirmation.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:56 pm

Game looks great, can't wait to see more.0

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:56 pm

Bullza wrote:I also bet it has a fraction of the content of Xenoverse 2 as well. We'll see though, they should have made something more like Tekken.
Yeah, a Dragon Ball game like Tekken would feel absolutely astonished! If I ever had to wish for a game not-Xenoverse/new content/just going by gameplay, it'd be a Tekken-type.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Bullza wrote:I don't know if this game is for me, it looks like one of those spazzy, hyperactive, flashy, ADHD games.

I also bet it has a fraction of the content of Xenoverse 2 as well. We'll see though, they should have made something more like Tekken.
90% of the trailer must have been special attacks, they are supposed to be flashy. I wouldn't make any deep judgements at this point.

It should definitely have much less content than Xenoverse 2, if the focus is to be a competitive fighting game. Although for people who like these type of games, it's arguably much more content since the game is worth many more hours.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:06 pm

LightBing wrote:I also bet it has a fraction of the content of Xenoverse 2 as well. We'll see though, they should have made something more like Tekken.
90% of the trailer must have been special attacks, they are supposed to be flashy. I wouldn't make any deep judgements at this point.[/quote]

It just looks like it's going to be that kind of fighter, all flash and no substance. It reminded me of those Marvel vs Capcom games I used to have.

All flashy moves and multiple characters flipping in and out of the screen non stop....nah that ain't for me.

That's too fast paced and hyperactive. On the opposite side I always thought fighting games like Mortal Kombat and Injustice were too slow and cumbersome.

Tekken was always the best, it had the right pace and the right amount of flash. That's what a proper DBZ fighting game should aspire to. They'd never put that amount of effort into a DBZ game though I suppose.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:11 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It's so beautiful :cry:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:16 pm

LightBing wrote:
Bullza wrote:I don't know if this game is for me, it looks like one of those spazzy, hyperactive, flashy, ADHD games.

90% of the trailer must have been special attacks, they are supposed to be flashy. I wouldn't make any deep judgements at this point.

It should definitely have much less content than Xenoverse 2, if the focus is to be a competitive fighting game. Although for people who like these type of games, it's arguably much more content since the game is worth many more hours.
Watching the trailer again, there was 15 seconds of actual gameplay. The rest was Ultimates and Insta-kill attacks. And yeah the way the trailer is layed out confirms Golden Freeza and SSj3 Goku are only for the insta-kill ultimates. And yes for people like me will get much more time out of this game then I ever have out of Xenoverse or any Dragon Ball game before.

Also Bandai announced on Twitter the game will have a closed Beta before Summer ends.
Bullza wrote: It just looks like it's going to be that kind of fighter, all flash and no substance. It reminded me of those Marvel vs Capcom games I used to have.

All flashy moves and multiple characters flipping in and out of the screen non stop....nah that ain't for me.

That's too fast paced and hyperactive. On the opposite side I always thought fighting games like Mortal Kombat and Injustice were too slow and cumbersome.

Tekken was always the best, it had the right pace and the right amount of flash. That's what a proper DBZ fighting game should aspire to. They'd never put that amount of effort into a DBZ game though I suppose.
You're comparing this to every fighting game besides the ones who publish the game. This will just be Guilty Gear/Blazeblue/Persona 4 Arena with Dragon Ball. And substance? EVO and eSports love this kinda stuff, many fighting game fans love this kinda stuff. The way the game plays is the substance in this game. Every fighting game is different, you can barely compare Tekken, Street Fighter, Smash Bros, Blazblue.

I for one don't like Tekken's fighting engine and am meh for Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, but I love MVC, Smash, Injustice and all of the ArcSys fighting games.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Bullza wrote:.All flashy moves and multiple characters flipping in and out of the screen non stop....nah that ain't for me.

That's too fast paced and hyperactive.
[spoiler]git gud[/spoiler]
For the record, there's enormous amounts of 'content' is in arc system games. The Xenoverse type of content you're talking about is purely cosmetic. I know that might be what attracts you to the game, but a roster of characters who play very differently is content, it's effort from the developers put into different areas of the game (and areas that to a degree, require a more refined skill-set from the team).
To many people, characters who's button inputs all provide different opportunities for varying gameplay styles provide hours upon hours of content.

You could say it's the most important kind of content actually, it's gameplay content.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:26 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Watching the trailer again, there was 15 seconds of actual gameplay. The rest was Ultimates and Insta-kill attacks. And yeah the way the trailer is layed out confirms Golden Freeza and SSj3 Goku are only for the insta-kill ultimates. And yes for people like me will get much more time out of this game then I ever have out of Xenoverse or any Dragon Ball game before.

Also Bandai announced on Twitter the game will have a closed Beta before Summer ends.
Yeah, that's also my impression. Taking into account the 3vs3 we should definitely have numerous hours to dedicate to the game, we have to learn(master) three different characters!

No closed beta for PC, that's unfortunate.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:38 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:And yeah the way the trailer is layed out confirms Golden Freeza and SSj3 Goku are only for the insta-kill ultimates.
Actually, this trailer shows the opposite. Look at SS3 Goku using his Super Move on Frieza. GOLDEN FRIEZA. If Frieza ony goes golden for his finishing move, why would he be in that form when Goku has him caught in his own finishing move?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:45 pm

This trailer looks fucking fantastic.
I've never played Guilty Gear / BlazBlue, but wow. I'm definitely getting this.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Kanassa wrote:Microsoft conference just showed the trailer... Looks very 'meh' to me. Especially the backgrounds, something just seems... Off. And no indication of GT or Super characters.
I actually liked the teaser, I was worried that they would just focus on Z like many DB games, but seeing Golden Freeza made me think that we'll probably get some Super characters and I hope to see some of DB, GT and the movies too. I liked the grapics too, it looks cartoonish like the anime, not that full HD mess that is present on XENOVERSE.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Rory wrote:
Bullza wrote:.All flashy moves and multiple characters flipping in and out of the screen non stop....nah that ain't for me.

That's too fast paced and hyperactive.
[spoiler]git gud[/spoiler]
For the record, there's enormous amounts of 'content' is in arc system games. The Xenoverse type of content you're talking about is purely cosmetic. I know that might be what attracts you to the game, but a roster of characters who play very differently is content, it's effort from the developers put into different areas of the game (and areas that to a degree, require a more refined skill-set from the team).
To many people, characters who's button inputs all provide different opportunities for varying gameplay styles provide hours upon hours of content.

You could say it's the most important kind of content actually, it's gameplay content.
Well Xenoverse isn't a good game itself. The fighting in that is terrible, likely even worse than it will be for this Fighters game but at least that can make up for it in other ways.

Doubtful that this Fighters game will though. So if it's just a hyperactive flashy fighting game then it's no better at all.

Dragon Ball Z just does not make for good video games.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Noah wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Microsoft conference just showed the trailer... Looks very 'meh' to me. Especially the backgrounds, something just seems... Off. And no indication of GT or Super characters.
I actually liked the teaser, I was worried that they would just focus on Z like many DB games, but seeing Golden Freeza made me think that we'll probably get some Super characters and I hope to see some of DB, GT and the movies too. I liked the grapics too, it looks cartoonish like the anime, not that full HD mess that is present on XENOVERSE.
Yeah, Xenoverse visuals are a mess. Super Saiyan aura especially. This game did it right; I loved that SSJ3!!

But Golden Freeza being in the game makes me think we'll at least get a few Super characters (prob SSJB, and Golden Freeza. Maybe Black too)

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Kanassa wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:And yeah the way the trailer is layed out confirms Golden Freeza and SSj3 Goku are only for the insta-kill ultimates.
Actually, this trailer shows the opposite. Look at SS3 Goku using his Super Move on Frieza. GOLDEN FRIEZA. If Frieza ony goes golden for his finishing move, why would he be in that form when Goku has him caught in his own finishing move?
OMG how did I miss that. Much apologies. Well if I were to speculate, the transformations could still be tied to their insta-kills. But also possible it's the awakening mechanic, in Persona 4 Arena when your health gets low your character "awakens" and gets a boost to all stats, it's possible that's how they'll handle transformations such as Golden Freeza and SSj3. I find it odd that Goku is in his modern BOG and Super Gi, yet they didn't give him SSjBlue, they'll obviously be in the game due to marketting, but I guess as their own character. Perhaps SSjBlue Kaio-Ken will be the insta-kill in that case.

Another observation, due to how the character models are flipped, Goku's gi symbol appears on his right side and is mirrored when he faces the right, I expect that to be fixed however. This game is still in production and at least 6 months away.

Now let's talk stages, we see 5 in the trailer. Namek. Cell Games Ring. Tenkaichi Budokai Ring. Mountains (From Goku VS Vegeta). And Space (I assume from Battle of Gods, but they seem to be fighting on an asteroid or something). I wonder what other stages we'll see, if we get Super content, I want the Universe 6 Ring. Kami's Lookout would make a good stage too. No one has also mentioned the destructible stages, we see the ground get torn up and Goku deflect Freeza's ki blasts on the Namek stage.
Last edited by NintendoBlaze53 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:02 pm

3 versus 3

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]