Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

lunaticthegame

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 93

Post by lunaticthegame » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:35 am

I liked it. The action made was an improvement from last weeks (Which I thought was good) and while the art looked a little off at some points, I thought the episode was overall pretty solid.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:50 am

I wonder if any of these might be Kaoru Sumeragi;
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Either way, I wonder if Kaoru Sumeragi is going to be another regular.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:54 am

it could be Ichizō KOBAYASHI, he has a pretty big resume.
Edit: Just realized he has a twitter account too lol.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... hp?id=5834

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:01 am

Sodhi wrote:it could be Ichizō KOBAYASHI, he has a pretty big resume.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... hp?id=5834
Didn't even think to look up that person when I was looking up the new animators.
Weird to have this person debut as an assistant supervisor, wonder if they were already on for a future episode but they needed some extra help on this one.

Lookerman

Post by Lookerman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:04 am

Sodhi wrote:Those really are bunch of no names and TAP. I won't be surprised if it took a lot of hard work to correct lol.
Don't forget Higashide or Shimanuki.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:07 am

Yea I know. I was talking about majority of the staff :)
ArchedThunder wrote: Didn't even think to look up that person when I was looking up the new animators.
Weird to have this person debut as an assistant supervisor, wonder if they were already on for a future episode but they needed some extra help on this one.
A good possibilty that just like Manabe, he was just here for help. He could very well be working with manabe in #101.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:08 am

Not a bad episode. Was saved by the amazing ending.
The animation was at best mediocre and the lack of detail in some scenes ruined them.
The storyboard and the direction were boring and no I can't say that this was a huge improvement from last week.
Some shots were extremely good but at some points the bodies got too skinny.

I wonder whether all the "bank haters" will return to complain about the 30 secs of bank used today.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:12 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:Not a bad episode. Was saved by the amazing ending.
The animation wasn't bad but still nothing impressive.
Some shots were extremely good but at some points the bodies got too skinny.

I wonder whether all the "bank haters" will return to complain about the 30 secs of bank used today.
I don't think anyone here has a problem with BANK animation in general, I think it has more to do with how it's implemented into an episode. Thankfully, this episode succeeded in implementing BANK to an acceptable degree.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:24 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote:I wonder whether all the "bank haters" will return to complain about the 30 secs of bank used today.
I don't think anyone here has a problem with BANK animation in general, I think it has more to do with how it's implemented into an episode. Thankfully, this episode succeeded in implementing BANK to an acceptable degree.
I don't think it even has that much to do with the implementation. I, for one, was looking forward to the tournament because I wanted to see the fruits of the nearly 5 months of conservative episodes, only to find that it wasn't building to anything grand, and conservatism is apparently just Super now, but on the whole, everything is of equal or lower quality now than it was for the recruitment, even though it has the crutch of bank animation. I think many others are annoyed at the quality of these last two episodes because there seemed to be an implied promise with this arc that the staff clearly just weren't ready for, and this tournament shouldn't have been pushed so heavily if that's the case.
Retired.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:36 am

I thought many parts of this episode's art and animation was pretty decent. Just a few weird looking parts imo but nothing too too bad.

It looks like Toshio is writing episode 99, I hope it's a good one!

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:39 am

The episode was solid throughout.. I feel like the fight was GOOD overall, even though there was nothing particularly outstanding, it was ok and the choreography was awesome.. I loved the part where Goku blasts Basil and then throws 2 backflip ki blasts at him.. That looked awesome to me and how Vegeta eliminated the cat girl... It all looked cool!! There wasn't a Shida moment, but everything looked consistently good and that's all i ask for. a lot better than the insanely overhyped and overrated episode 39 for example.

Also, gotta love Goku's backflips.. He's an excelent dancer in the ring, no doubt about that. Reminded me of all those weird flips and twists during the fight with Kid Buu back in DBZ.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:05 am

Hit!! wrote:The episode was solid throughout.. I feel like the fight was GOOD overall, even though there was nothing particularly outstanding, it was ok and the choreography was awesome.. I loved the part where Goku blasts Basil and then throws 2 backflip ki blasts at him.. That looked awesome to me and how Vegeta eliminated the cat girl... It all looked cool!! There wasn't a Shida moment, but everything looked consistently good and that's all i ask for. a lot better than the insanely overhyped and overrated episode 39 for example.

Also, gotta love Goku's backflips.. He's an excelent dancer in the ring, no doubt about that. Reminded me of all those weird flips and twists during the fight with Kid Buu back in DBZ.
This explains what I had in mind. The direction of the episode is actually pretty good, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would be. The animation is solid, and the episode itself is a plus for me.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:56 am

Goku shooting two ki blasts at the opponent was so satisfying, you could feel the weight of each blast.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:43 am

kinisking wrote:Goku shooting two ki blasts at the opponent was so satisfying, you could feel the weight of each blast.
If the camera was a little closer and the shot was a little more detailed, it would look amazing. Still, seen something that dynamic is so satisfying. The tournament needs more of these moves. There got 3 characters that we knew and they didn't have a long cut with Goku fighting them at the same time. I feel like they spend their best animation on useless scenes. Instead of the butterfly, we could have a cut that dynamic for the trio the danger vs goku

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:07 pm

There were also many moments where they used older storyboard moments to create new scenes.
Goku punching Lavenda at some moment was the same scene as Gohan punching Lavenda.
The begging of the fight (the teleportation) was taken from Shida's storyboard vs Frieza.
There was also a scene where the three brothers were flying and talking which was from episode 57.
Many storyboard elements, which they chose to reuse and fit quite well

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:43 pm

I think as the ToP goes on, we might not have much episodes with reused animation, I guess.

ArchedThunder wrote:I wonder if any of these might be Kaoru Sumeragi;
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Either way, I wonder if Kaoru Sumeragi is going to be another regular.
I like the way she draws noses it looks better than most animators IMO.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: I don't think it even has that much to do with the implementation. I, for one, was looking forward to the tournament because I wanted to see the fruits of the nearly 5 months of conservative episodes, only to find that it wasn't building to anything grand, and conservatism is apparently just Super now, but on the whole, everything is of equal or lower quality now than it was for the recruitment, even though it has the crutch of bank animation. I think many others are annoyed at the quality of these last two episodes because there seemed to be an implied promise with this arc that the staff clearly just weren't ready for, and this tournament shouldn't have been pushed so heavily if that's the case.
We didn't have 5 months of conservative episodes, there are a lot of very heavily animated episodes this arc.
We're only at the beginning, things are going to get better, trust me.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:45 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:We didn't have 5 months of conservative episodes, there are a lot of very heavily animated episodes this arc.
We're only at the beginning, things are going to get better, trust me.
There were high points, especially at the end of the recruitment. However, on the whole, it has been 5 months of fairly consistently unremarkable episodes. Even if the show were to get better now, it's too little too late. The momentum is gone, the beginning of the tournament is done, and it's so boring. There's barely a story here, so this show needs to be fun to look at, and just isn't.

I'm not even that bothered by it anymore, but I don't think this sentiment is mine alone. Saying "just wait, it's eventually gonna get better" doesn't do much when that wait was supposed to be over last week. How long will it be? Another month? Two months? How long until everyone realizes they've wasted their time? (Which is essentially where I'm at.) You can't just delay gratification forever, there has to be tangible payoff eventually.
Retired.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: There were high points, especially at the end of the recruitment. However, on the whole, it has been 5 months of fairly consistently unremarkable episodes. Even if the show were to get better now, it's too little too late. The momentum is gone, the beginning of the tournament is done, and it's so boring. There's barely a story here, so this show needs to be fun to look at, and just isn't.
The average quality of episodes this arc has been much higher than previous arcs and very few of the episodes have actually been conservative, the improvements to the production have been clearly visible in nearly every episode. The only time we had a long string of conservative episodes was the 10 weeks between the last arc and this one, and that lead to us having the longest string of episodes with no massive dips in quality.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'm not even that bothered by it anymore, but I don't think this sentiment is mine alone. Saying "just wait, it's eventually gonna get better" doesn't do much when that wait was supposed to be over last week. How long will it be? Another month? Two months? How long until everyone realizes they've wasted their time? (Which is essentially where I'm at.) You can't just delay gratification forever, there has to be tangible payoff eventually.
We've been getting a pretty consistent stream of new staff (Not just animators) these past few weeks, a fair few from Tiger Mask even. Looking at production timelines, episode titles and the staff we know, the tipping point will probably be somewhere from episode 101 to episode 104.
This is only the opening of the tournament, the opening of tournaments in Dragon Ball are never the highlight.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:32 pm

-Episode 98-

Cool episode. I had completely forgot it was Shimanuki's turn!

That ki blast spin Goku did to Basil was awesome and that Final Kamehameha was epic af!! :clap:

They also reused stuff in this episode, but they have been doing it in such a smart way that I can't be mad.

So far, so good!

I'm expecting this Tournament to be long so I'm waiting for Shimanuki to still supervise another ToP episode.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.