When did fans referring to Toriyama on a first name basis first begin?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: When did fans referring to Toriyama on a first name basis first begin?

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:48 pm

I've said "Akira" a few times, once in a post title, but it was changed to Toriyama by moderators. I guess it's not polite or whatever to call him Akira so I always just say Toriyama-sensei, same as I say Kikuchi-sensei, Tezuka-sensei, or Murakami-sensei.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:20 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Fanboy Toriyama-Sensei ramblings.
There's no need to get bent all out of shape over some people referring to the guy by his first name. Most of us are Westerners and have the cultural acceptance of referring to people by their first names, and that's fine. If you want to refer to him as Almighty Kami Toriyama-Sensei, great, but everyone else doesn't have to call him that to be "functional adults".
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:55 am

Payne222 wrote:
There's no need to get bent all out of shape over some people referring to the guy by his first name. Most of us are Westerners and have the cultural acceptance of referring to people by their first names, and that's fine. If you want to refer to him as Almighty Kami Toriyama-Sensei, great, but everyone else doesn't have to call him that to be "functional adults".
Hi, westerner here (like Kunzait). I don't call someone I don't know by their first name unless I'm being an obtuse asshole. Hell, I still don't even call my teachers by their first names when I see them shopping and I've been out of school for nearly a decade. It's the weirdest thing in the world for me to not call my bosses by their last names.

Let's not dive into weird strawman arguments, please.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:23 am

JulieYBM wrote: Hi, westerner here (like Kunzait). I don't call someone I don't know by their first name unless I'm being an obtuse asshole. Hell, I still don't even call my teachers by their first names when I see them shopping and I've been out of school for nearly a decade. It's the weirdest thing in the world for me to not call my bosses by their last names.

It must be a matter of different perspectives, then. Because when I was in college my classmates and I were expected to call nearly all of our professors by their first names. I have *never* had a job where I didn't refer to my bosses by their first names, and that includes the vice-president of my company.

Now, I'm not saying I refer to Toriyama by his first name, nor am I advocating anyone do so. But as has been mentioned, I'm surprised at all the responses saying it never happens here, because it does happen quite frequently, and the reaction is usually ridiculously overblown, in my opinion. I'm certainly not someone who would dismiss anyone's level of comfort or cultural practices (unless they were actually harmful), and I do in a general sense agree that, unless you do know him personally and are able to make that call, Toriyama makes more sense, both as an impersonal reference and simply for the sake of clarity.

It's just that my own personal perspective on the matter is that intent is more important than the dogma of etiquette. I have people accidentally call me "ma'am" quite frequently. And then they act so embarrassed, like they just whipped out their dick and slapped me with it. And my feeling is, as long as I can tell you're treating me with respect and not specifically demeaning me, if you're not ignoring my own explicitly-stated boundaries or preferences, it really doesn't matter what terminology you use. So unless the context of the usage of "Akira" implies it's being used to denigrate, or unless Toriyama came out with a press release saying it really hurts his feelings when people he doesn't know and will never meet use his given name, it's not something I can really get that bothered about. It's typically just someone who isn't aware of Japanese cultural customs and is using the name the same way we'd use Toriyama.

Then adding on to that is the sheer what-the-fuckery confusion of Westerners flipping Japanese name order. I remember the first time I realized that as a kid, I found myself totally confused as to which rendering was which, so I had no idea which name *was* the family name and which was the given name.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:12 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Payne222 wrote:
Hi, westerner here (like Kunzait). I don't call someone I don't know by their first name unless I'm being an obtuse asshole. Hell, I still don't even call my teachers by their first names when I see them shopping and I've been out of school for nearly a decade. It's the weirdest thing in the world for me to not call my bosses by their last names.

Yes, same goes for me not calling Toriyama-san just "Toriyama". I think using anything like "Mr." or "san" or anything else is the least amount of respect someone should pay for someone as long as its not some talk about a person that you don't show any respect for or do not actually care about in the first place.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:31 pm

I don't even remember, if it was taught in school, that you shouldn't act like you're on a first name basis with people you don't know, but it's pretty normal here in Denmark to be on first name basis with your teachers, superiors etc.
I believe we make the inference, that one should address other people you don't know with their full name or last name, from reading news articles and the like, because in those publications, it's more formal, thanks to the more professional standard they have, which is also witnessed in court documents and forms etc.

Furthermore you also see this with sports stars, where they are generally known by their last name or full name unless they got an unusual first name, like Kobe, LeBron etc. or a nickname.
So it's just ingrained to call people you are not on a first name basis with their full name or their last name/family name or an acronym of that.
Calling him just Akira, really just boggles my mind and grinds my gears a bit, but I guess we're just different like that.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:45 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Payne222 wrote:

Nobody here is talking to him directly. Rules of courtesy like that are meant for when we are talking to the person directly or when in a formal environment. I am a westerner and even though I always called people like teachers and so on by their last name when I talked to them directly, when talking about them to other people informally, especially friends, it's pretty common to relax the treatment and refer to them by first name or even nicknames. And here we are, online, in a informal environment, not talking to Toriyama directly, so...

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:36 am

JulieYBM wrote:Hi, westerner here (like Kunzait). I don't call someone I don't know by their first name unless I'm being an obtuse asshole. Hell, I still don't even call my teachers by their first names when I see them shopping and I've been out of school for nearly a decade. It's the weirdest thing in the world for me to not call my bosses by their last names.

That's great for you, then. Just because you have a first name complex doesn't mean that everyone else who doesn't is an "obtuse asshole".

Is it a little odd? Yeah, sure. But it's in no way being an asshole or a non-fuctioning person like you and some others have tried to claim.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Payne222 wrote:There's no need to get bent all out of shape over some people referring to the guy by his first name. Most of us are Westerners and have the cultural acceptance of referring to people by their first names, and that's fine. If you want to refer to him as Almighty Kami Toriyama-Sensei, great, but everyone else doesn't have to call him that to be "functional adults".
Payne222 wrote:Is it a little odd? Yeah, sure. But it's in no way being an asshole or a non-fuctioning person like you and some others have tried to claim.
You do realize that nobody called YOU PERSONALLY "non-functional" or whatever, right? The fact that you're taking this weirdly personally is mystifying to me. No one was talking to you. I wasn't talking to you. I have no idea who the hell you even are.

And no, this isn't some "staying faithful to glorious Nippon traditions" thing that I'm talking about (which seems to be the implication). At all. Like I said, the idea of referring to a complete stranger casually by their first name, much less someone who is in some "esteemed" professional position, is in NO WAY exclusively a Japanese notion.

Yes the Japanese put an even STRONGER emphasis on it, sure, but we still have that very same cultural concept here in the West as well. Unless you have some well worked out familiar shorthand with them (which does happen of course), you don't address to your boss or teacher or customers you serve or local political figures or whomever by their first name as if you know them. In perhaps not all, but in a LOT Of instances, doing that would make you come across to most people as kind of a rude asshole. In polite society, its usually Mr. this or Mrs./Ms. that.

Am I "getting bent out of shape" over it, as you describe? No, I was simply impressing the distinction between how fans addressed the dude then vs how they have now and in the years since, because there's DEFINITELY a marked difference.

Yes we're a LOT less formal in the United States than the Japanese are over in Japan. We're much more lax about titles and polite forms of speech than they generally are. But just because we have LESS rigid social customs and emphasis on politeness does not mean that we have NO social customs or emphasis on politeness at all. And yes, here in the U.S., on the average overall whole, you address strangers and professionals by their last name. This idea that you can just socially get away with calling anyone and everyone you come across in life as Bob or Jim or Nancy or what have you just because you live in 'Murica is fucking absurd and incorrect.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Also Jacob didnt call anyone an asshole, he said he would FEEL like an asshole if he did call people by first name.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Rant
I'm not taking it personally at all, just trying to get you guys to calm down over something so minuscule as people online referring to a manga artist by his first name. Apparently this struck a nerve with you so I'll just drop it, I didn't mean to cause anyone to have a conniption.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Its just that Kunzait and Jacob assumed you meant to call them Weaboos. If you didnt mean any offense with what you said then indeed is case closed.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:44 pm

There are some forums where the members call him Akira. I always refer to him as Toriyama.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.