Anyone know if it's possible to buy the entire Oceans dub

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Anyone know if it's possible to buy the entire Oceans dub

Post by mystic trunks » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:34 pm

Please help.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:11 pm

If you're referring to seasons 1 and 2, then yes, though may take you a while and may need to shop around.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:23 pm

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:58 pm

He means the UK/Canadian dub afterward, I think. Unfortunately the only ones of that available are home-made recordings, and those are rare.

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:24 pm

bkev wrote:He means the UK/Canadian dub afterward, I think. Unfortunately the only ones of that available are home-made recordings, and those are rare.
Yeah. It's unfortunate, but the later Ocean dub has never been commercially released in any form and likely never will be. FUNimation owns the distribution rights to all DBZ products in North America (including Canada) so any releases of the Ocean dub wouldn't be sold in Canada despite having aired here, but from what I understand there's no reason it couldn't be released in Europe (and if it were, I'd import it in a fucking heartbeat).

The various home recordings that people made during the time it aired is the only way to find it, and yeah, good luck finding them.

The sad truth is that eventually this dub will be forgotten and lost, just like the Harmony Gold Dragonball dub from the late 1980s.

Ambassador Vegeta

Post by Ambassador Vegeta » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:41 pm

I think the internet is probably your best bet, I've seen a lot of Ocean dvds on Half.com. I've also seen a few used ones mixed in with the Funi singles at game stores and FYE.

As for the Ocean dub being forgotten, maybe the 'over 9000' craze will keep it around or at least save it from total obscurity.
"No one escapes from my mighty legs!"
-Chun-Li, SF II

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:45 pm

Ambassador Vegeta wrote:I think the internet is probably your best bet, I've seen a lot of Ocean dvds on Half.com. I've also seen a few used ones mixed in with the Funi singles at game stores and FYE.

As for the Ocean dub being forgotten, maybe the 'over 9000' craze will keep it around or at least save it from total obscurity.
Again, we're talking about the later Ocean dub of episodes 108/123-276/291 that aired in Canada and Europe. None of those episodes are available on DVD. You're thinking of the original seasons 1 and 2 that Ocean dubbed with FUNimation that are available on DVD.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:47 pm

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:
The sad truth is that eventually this dub will be forgotten and lost, just like the Harmony Gold Dragonball dub from the late 1980s.
From what I heard of that dub, that's not totally bad. Oolong sounded like Edward G. Robinson.

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:03 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:
From what I heard of that dub, that's not totally bad. Oolong sounded like Edward G. Robinson.
While it probably wasn't great, I'd be interested in seeing the Harmony Gold dub anyway. It'd be quite the contrast to FUNimation's dub and would likely be a much different experience.

The name changes would irritate me to no end though.

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mystic trunks » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:19 pm

Yeah. I already have the first two seasons but can't find the rest.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:17 pm

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:
Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:
While it probably wasn't great, I'd be interested in seeing the Harmony Gold dub anyway. It'd be quite the contrast to FUNimation's dub and would likely be a much different experience.

The name changes would irritate me to no end though.
Yeah, even though it was done during the time of when my friends say they don't judge them, I still think it would irritate them too.

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:46 pm

mystic trunks wrote:Yeah. I already have the first two seasons but can't find the rest.
The only other thing you can get is movies 1-3 Ocean dubbed.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:02 pm

Azure wrote: The only other thing you can get is movies 1-3 Ocean dubbed.
I remember those dubs being great. It would've been great if the TV series was done the way those movie were, then I would have watched the dub. Sadly, the TV series sucks dub wise.

It would be really nice to have some of the later Ocean episodes because Brain Drummond is much better as Vegeta for various reasons.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]