Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
Loputousu wrote:Base Goku and Final Form Frieza seemed to be around equals when they exchanged punches when Frieza was brought back to Earth. Not the best piece of evidence, but it would have been impossible if Base Goku got nerfed at all.
They sort of caught each other off-guard with those punches though, and we've been exposed to instances in which weaker characters were able to harm much stronger ones under similar circumstances. Alternatively, they could be equals under the current scaling as well.

I'm not really certain how they're portraying Final Form Frieza at this point myself, but perhaps we'll see.
Personally, I feel like portraying the two in their base and god-level forms as completely equal is the most plausible narrative direction.

The issue then is where their base forms lie. If Freeza is maintained as extremely powerful in his base form, and if the above remains the primary direction, that in turn would ALSO mean that Goku is extremely powerful. If not, then we have a problem of the retcon kind.

Really, Freeza is the key to power-scaling. He's always used as a benchmark, and he often doesn't fall into the same kinds of "martial arts entertainment" trappings that usually confuses the power-scalers for the current anime. If we get clear confirmation of where he stands and how others relate to him, we'll have our answers. Whether or not we'll get those answers, well............ It's really a toss-up.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Maybe Base Goku is extremely powerful.

Base Cabba is on par with his strength and he knocked Nigirisshi out of the arena like he was nothing and he was supposed to be the strongest modified warrior in his Universe.

Every Tournament Goku has ever been in he's held back until the very end. He's already let his guard down twice in like 9 minutes.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Ca't wait for Gohan to job in an hour or so.
Feels over Reals.

supersaiyangodgogeta
Regular

Post by supersaiyangodgogeta » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:38 pm

So super Saiyan god came back, though it never went anywhere in the first place. Goku just simply didn't use it as was obvious.

Just a bunch of people assuming that Goku couldn't use it for some reason to substantiate the 2 base theory, which is as unsupported as ever.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:28 pm

- Android 17 and Ribrianne fight evenly
- Rozie has her fighting style used against her and Goku get the advantage on her.
- Opni use a unique afterimage technique to get advantage against Base Gohan
- Rubarut beats around Piccolo, but Piccolo no sells his assault and Piccolo casually knocks out Rubarut with his Hellzone Grenade attack
- Gohan powers up into his Ultimate form and absolutely clobbers Opni for an extend period of time and eliminates his easily with a Kamehameha.
- The NEP also shows that Dyspo is using his speed to blitz attack Hit and SSJG Goku and seems to be able to have advantage against the both of them.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Ribrianne fought on par with Android 17 so I'm guessing she's above Super Saiyan 3 level then.

Base Goku had some trouble against the one he fought but eventually turned the tables and got the upper hand once he got used to her style.

The Yadrat easily beat some fodder guy.

Piccolo had a little trouble against the guy he fought but still beat him fairly easily in the end. I'd guess that guy was also Base Saiyan level or something.

Obni seemed stronger than Base Gohan but was clearly weaker than Ultimate Gohan. I'd also wager a guess that Obni was probably Super Saiyan level. Not as strong as the Super Saiyan 2 Goku who gave Ultimate Gohan a lot more trouble. Seemingly he'd be the strongest from Universe 10.

The preview for the next episode shows Dyspo giving Super Saiyan God Goku a bit of trouble, you see him kick Goku away and he also gives Hit some trouble so Dyspo looks to be another God level character like Jiren and Toppo,

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:35 pm

They don't even know what they're doing anymore.
Red guy was completely stomping Piccolo, so how on earth could the Namekian one-shot him like that.
Everything's messed. Way worse than the Future Trunks arc.

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Bullza wrote:Ribrianne fought on par with Android 17 so I'm guessing she's above Super Saiyan 3 level then.

Base Goku had some trouble against the one he fought but eventually turned the tables and got the upper hand once he got used to her style.

The Yadrat easily beat some fodder guy.

Piccolo had a little trouble against the guy he fought but still beat him fairly easily in the end. I'd guess that guy was also Base Saiyan level or something.

Obni seemed stronger than Base Gohan but was clearly weaker than Ultimate Gohan. I'd also wager a guess that Obni was probably Super Saiyan level. Not as strong as the Super Saiyan 2 Goku who gave Ultimate Gohan a lot more trouble. Seemingly he'd be the strongest from Universe 10.

The preview for the next episode shows Dyspo giving Super Saiyan God Goku a bit of trouble, you see him kick Goku away and he also gives Hit some trouble so Dyspo looks to be another God level character like Jiren and Toppo,
Ultimate Gohan wasn't going all out against SSJ2 Goku, so Opni's strength depends on if Gohan was holding back or not. If Gohan was holding back, then Opni is SSJ Goku level. If he wasn't holding back, then Opni is SSJ3 Goku level.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:38 pm

This tournament is a fucking nightmare.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:This tournament is a fucking nightmare.
Don't worry, up next's the bunny who was stomped by an octopus fighting evenly with SsjG Goku.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Bullza wrote:Seemingly he'd be the strongest from Universe 10.
That's definitely the impression I got as well, particularly since Gowasu seemed to have a lot of confidence in him even though he was Universe 10's last man standing. He also seemed to be giving Ultimate Gohan a bit of trouble, albeit briefly. I know we didn't get to see a lot from Murichim but I don't personally think he was the strongest.
Bullza wrote:The preview for the next episode shows Dyspo giving Super Saiyan God Goku a bit of trouble, you see him kick Goku away and he also gives Hit some trouble so Dyspo looks to be another God level character like Jiren and Toppo,
This too. Aragney had an advantage against Dyspo only because he caught him off-guard with his tentacles; otherwise Dypso is comfortably among Universe 11's top 3 and almost certainly a God tier fighter.

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:- Android 17 and Ribrianne fight evenly
- Rozie has her fighting style used against her and Goku get the advantage on her.
- Opni use a unique afterimage technique to get advantage against Base Gohan
- Rubarut beats around Piccolo, but Piccolo no sells his assault and Piccolo casually knocks out Rubarut with his Hellzone Grenade attack
- Gohan powers up into his Ultimate form and absolutely clobbers Opni for an extend period of time and eliminates his easily with a Kamehameha.
- The NEP also shows that Dyspo is using his speed to blitz attack Hit and SSJG Goku and seems to be able to have advantage against the both of them.
I'm glad that they made Ribrianne ~SSB level (unless 17 was holding back or some bs like that).

Rozie is disappointing. She is one of U2's top 3 fighters and she was losing to base Goku? Wtf is that?

I'm hoping that Ultimate Gohan wasn't holding back. I want U10 to have at least one SSJ3 level fighter, and that's where Opni would be if Gohan was going all out (but knowing Toei Gohan was probably holding back)

The Piccolo vs Rubarut fight was confusing. Rubarut was dominating Piccolo and then he got KO'ed by Hellzone Grenade. How could he get KO'ed by that attack if he was dominating Piccolo? I don't recall Piccolo being the type to hold back significantly and test his opponents like Goku does.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Botamo's elimination is dull and bullshit anyway.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Hakaishin Liquir wrote:The Piccolo vs Rubarut fight was confusing. Rubarut was dominating Piccolo and then he got KO'ed by Hellzone Grenade. How could he get KO'ed by that attack if he was dominating Piccolo? I don't recall Piccolo being the type to hold back significantly and test his opponents like Goku does.
Yeah, that was super weird. Maybe the subtitles will clear things up, but it looked like Rubarut was kicking Piccolo's ass, but, no Piccolo just no sells his assault entirely. I can only imagine Piccolo did that to lure Rubarut into a false sense of security, while also creating a decent amount of distance between him and Rubarut, and that made the attack of Hellzone Grenade all the more unexpected, and thus making the elimination easier for him. Sounds really over-complicated, but the main cast loving making any kind of fighting situation more challenging than it has to be.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:07 pm

We don't know for sure that Dyspo is "kicking' Goku's ass. We saw him land a kick in a preview. Goku didn't look like he took any battle damage unlike Hit. Let's wait until the episode airs before we start losing our shit over how strong this unknown Bunny Beerus look alike is. Not saying he's a weakling, but I don't think he's all that strong either.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 pm

MagmonKai wrote:We don't know for sure that Dyspo is "kicking' Goku's ass.
To be fair, I don't recall anyone in this thread making an argument as strong as that one. The preview did make it seem as if Goku blocked an attack -- possibly a speed-based one -- that Hit looked pretty helpless against (Caulifla and Champa at least seemed worried) and there was also a scene where Goku was powering up with Dyspo looking rather intimidated in response. So even with our very limited glimpses of Episode 104, we can tell that SSG Goku probably won't be completely outmatched, at least just going by what we saw.

We never can be too sure how it'll go until the episode airs though. I'm by no means attempting to jump the gun here, but there's nothing wrong with a little speculation.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:28 pm

I'm really hoping that Dyspo's ability isn't that he's just faster than light and that's why he can give people like Goku and Hit trouble.

Mainly because I know the sheer amount of shit it would cause amongst fans and the complaining that all this time they weren't light speed.

Additionally though if we are to believe that Ultimate Gohan and Android 17 are about on par with each other then I guess that would mean Ribrianne is stronger than Obni?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:46 pm

I'm glad Ribiranne at least proved she has some considerable power. She can be anywhere from SSJ3 level to slightly below Super Saiyan God. There's no real way of telling.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Ribrianne seemed like she might be SSJ2 tier at most. She wasn't even worth Vegeta's time and 17 seems to be playing around with her. I'm not impressed by her as of tonight's episode. I thought she'd be more of a formidable fighter.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Nah, 17 definitely looked a lot more serious fighting her and seems to be putting up a fight. It was a lot different than him fighting the girl from the previous ep where he was barely doing anything.

She's likely weaker than him, but as said I'd wager she could be around SSJ3 level.