Episode and Movie Correlation

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeries

Episode and Movie Correlation

Post by Xeries » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:18 am

I have a question that nobody seems to be able to answer, and I figured EX or Julian may know. I presented this question to the DBZOA message boards but nobody really knows anymore than I do. My question is, after which episodes did the movies and specials air? I know they don't fit into the story, but that doesn't really matter to me. I know all of the airdates for all 4 DB Movies, all 13 DBZ Movies, the 2 DBZ specials, the 2 DBZ "OVAs", and the DBGT Movie; I just don't know what episodes the air between, which is what I am trying to find out. Getting airdates for the episodes is very hard, but I figured Julian or EX may know. This is what I have so far:

DBZ Episode 001-011
DBZ Movie 001
DBZ Episode 012-039
DBZ Movie 002
DBZ Episode 040-054
DBZ Movie 003
DBZ Episode 055-063
DBZ Special 001
DBZ Episode 064-082
DBZ Movie 004
DBZ Episode 083-099
DBZ Movie 005
DBZ Episode 100-130
DBZ Movie 006

Those first 6 movies and 1 special are most likely the correct times, but the next few get a bit confusing because I have found different information from different sources. The first few were shown to be the same by most sources. Here are the next few I have:

DBZ Episodes 131-147
DBZ Movie 007 (May have been between episode 143 and 144)
DBZ Episode 148-174
DBZ Special 002 (May have been between episode 176 and 177)
DBZ Episode 175
DBZ Movie 008
DBZ Episode 176-

Movie 7 and special 2 are the ones in question. Movie 8 most likely did air after 175.

Anyway, if anybody has any corrections to that, or knows anymore, please let me know. I have no clue where Movies 09-13 would be, where any of the 4 DB movies air (I can't find episode airdates for any of the original DB series, although I know the fourth movie, the 10th anniversary special, would air near the end of DBGT), or where the GT special would air (also, probably near the end of DBGT). I also would like to know when the VHS for the "OVAs" came out in relation to the episodes (I know according to the site they are not OVAs, but I don't know what else to call them). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a release date your site doesn't seem to have. I have had it on the DBZOA forums for a month, but never thought to let you guys know. According to DVD Planet (who, as far as I know, has had all of their dates correct thus far) they list DBZ: Cell Games - Surrender for June 29, 2004. I just thought I'd let EX or Julian know in this thread.

Peace,
-Xeries

Edit: I just added a little bit of information, so some things may be said twice, just a little differently.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:05 am

Well, I have a list of all the TV airdates for DB here. I got the dates from a Japanese site, and matched them all up with my own episode title list. I've been meaning to do the same for DBZ and DBGT, but I still haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe today would be a good day to start, though...

Anyway, if we plug these in with the movie dates:

DB Episode 001-043
DB Movie 1
DB Episode 044-070
DB Movie 2
DB Episode 071-118
DB Movie 3
DB Episode 119-153

I hope I was able to help with at least one series. :)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:35 am

One of the carddass daizenshuu actually has a little section at the bottom of every few pages, with three boxes:

- What the manga was up to at that point
- What the anime was up to at that point
- Which movie was released at that point

I'll see if I can grab the daizenshuu this weekend (technically, they're Meri's ^^) and see what cute little things it says. There's a little screen-grab for all three things, which makes it even neater.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xeries

Post by Xeries » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:29 pm

Thank you so much TripleRach :D I have been looking for original DB airdates forever (google sucks when looking for those).

BTW, I got my DBZ dates from 2 places. I got DBZ episodes 1-135 from Daimao's Website http://www.xmission.com/~daimao/dbzguide.htm and I got 136-175 from DBZOA http://www.dbzoa.net/files/airdate.txt . I get all of the movie and special dates from right here on D-EX. The thing is, according to the list on DBZOA, at least one thing is wrong for sure. It lists the Trunks Special too late (if its own airdates are correct that is).

Anyway, thanks TripleRach for those DB airdates, and thanks EX for taking your time out to look those up.

-Xeries

Edit: One last thing. The release date I told you about from DVD Planet of June 29, 2004 seems to be correct. The DBZ Specialty store has also put up that date as the set date for Cell Games: Surrender.

theslug

Post by theslug » Wed May 26, 2004 9:17 pm

Movie 9 takes place after the cell games, but most likely before the tournament in the afterlife that Goku takes part in. So it's probably right after episode 194.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 26, 2004 10:04 pm

theslug wrote:Movie 9 takes place after the cell games, but most likely before the tournament in the afterlife that Goku takes part in. So it's probably right after episode 194.
I believe he's asking about exact, specific air-dates / premiere dates, as opposed to where it just "fits in" with the storyline.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed May 26, 2004 11:27 pm

Isn't that the sort of super fun cool information that would just look spiffy on the movies section of the site?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:34 am

Just out of curiousity, when does each movie supposedly take place within the storyline?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:35 pm

PsyLiam wrote:Isn't that the sort of super fun cool information that would just look spiffy on the movies section of the site?
Yep! Do all the research for me, and I'm good to go! :P

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:49 pm

Nice comeback EX. :D
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:17 pm

Just out of curiousity, when does each movie supposedly take place within the storyline?
The reason why NOBODY considers the movie as canon or even filler is because none of them can take place in the storyline (though people argue movies 9 and 13 can, and TOEI pretended certain events in the Radditz arc didn't happen so that movie 1 could fit in the anime).

Movie 1: Between the 23rd budoukai and the arrival of Radditz (impossible since nobody knew Goku had a son in the Radditz saga, when the whole purpose of movie 1 was to save Gohan)

Movie 2: After the Saiyan saga, but before the Freeza saga (impossible since they go to Namek immediately after the Saiyan saga in order to revive people)

Movie 3: After the Saiyan saga, in a reality where nobody died so they didn't have to go Namek (obviously not what happened in the manga/anime)

Movie 4: After the Saiyan saga, when Goku goes "Super Saiyan" for the first time. (Impossible since he goes SSJ on Namek)

Movie 5: Near the end of the three year gap before the android saga. Impossible since nobody could sense strengths as big as Cooler's+Goku's, and because Goku can't willingly go SSJ, even though he could at the beginning of the three year gap.

Movie 6: Impossible since it would have to take place in the stead of the android saga.

Movie 7: After the android saga. Impossible since #17 and #18 had to have been destroyed without the need of USSJ; instead of a Cell saga we get upgrades of #13,#14,#15.

Movie 8: In the 9 days before the Cell Games. Impossible because of when it takes place. :P

Movie 9: After Goku's funeral. Impossible since Trunks had already returned to the future, and has hair still long from the room of spirit and time which disprooves any theories that he may have returned from the future.

Movie 10: Either in the training period leading up to the 25th budoukai, or after the 25th budoukai where no Boo saga took place, which is impossible. Also impossible since movie 8 can't take place.

Movie 11: Between the Boo saga and 28th Budoukai. Impossible since movies 10 and 8 can't take place.

Movie 12: Between the Boo saga and 28th Budoukai. Impossible since Goku and Vegeta are still dead.

Movie 13: Between the Boo saga and 28th Budoukai. Impossible since it explains that the sword Mirai Trunks has was given to him by Tapion, but the monster inside Tapion had to be killed by SSJ3 Goku. There's no way a Mirai Trunks in training and Mirai Gohan could kill that monster.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:22 pm

Movie 9: After Goku's funeral. Impossible since Trunks had already returned to the future, and has hair still long from the room of spirit and time which disprooves any theories that he may have returned from the future.
Bulma states that Trunks had come back from the future, so it isn't just a theory.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:23 pm

The reason why NOBODY considers the movie as canon or even filler is because none of them can take place in the storyline (though people argue movies 9 and 13 can, and TOEI pretended certain events in the Radditz arc didn't happen so that movie 1 could fit in the anime).
Hence, me asking when they supposedly happened. In other words, when they would have happened if they actually fit into the storyline. I know fully well that the movies are non-canon, as should any true DBZ fan.

Thanks for the info, though. Any idea when Gaiden would take place?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:26 pm

As said, it was STATED that Trunks had just returned from the future. As for movie 13, he has the sword in GT too, so hah. (If you say GT doesn't count, this is a movie. Enough said.)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:33 pm

Neon Z wrote:
Bulma states that Trunks had come back from the future, so it isn't just a theory.
He could have hung around in the future for a few months letting his hair grow before coming back. It's not a OMG CRAZY THEORY!!!! by any means.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Mochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mochi » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:49 am

Ya, what Liam said. So I think #9 does fit in the timeline. *nyah* :P
Yes... I am... but you don't know that...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:26 am

Oh ya, let Liam do all the work and then take the glory. :P
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:38 am

Oh...I forgot about what Bulma said. :oops: Still doesn't explain the hair. We SEE what Trunks looked like when he destroyed the androids and Cell: he had short hair. I know he could have grown it later if he wanted to, or even inbetween those years, but Trunks himself finds it gets in the way, which was why he tied it in a not in the Cell saga when possible. His hair was only that length when he had nothing to cut it with (ie: in the room of spirit and time). The instant he got out, after he lost to Cell, Bulma cut it for him.

...Then he goes back in the room of s+t the day before the Cell Games. Twit. :P
Hence, me asking when they supposedly happened. In other words, when they would have happened if they actually fit into the storyline. I know fully well that the movies are non-canon, as should any true DBZ fan.
Did you even read anything else I posted in my reply? :x
As for movie 13, he has the sword in GT too, so hah. (If you say GT doesn't count, this is a movie. Enough said.)
But the anime, therefore including GT, assumes all the movies CAN take place in the series so that neither prooves nor disprooves anything.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:11 pm

Actually, I forgot to mention something. I think movie 5 can also take place because it's possible that they were lowering their battle power somewhat, and.. didn't Goku since their ki when he was fairly far behind? As for Goku seeming unable to turn SSJ willingly.... Just ignore it and say it works for the drama.

EDIT: And I never noticed anything about how the anime assumed all the movies took place. :? Movie 12 did, considering nearly every frikkin' villain appeared, but it''s been proven that was impossible anyway, so...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:29 pm

it's possible that they were lowering their battle power somewhat
why would you hide your true strength when the time comes to fight at your strongest? Plus Goku states, when Cooler transforms, that Cooler is stronger than Freeza. How could ANYBODY with the ability to sense ki not pick up someone stronger than Cyborg Freeza?
And I never noticed anything about how the anime assumed all the movies took place.
My answer: Garlic Jr Saga