The Tournament of Power arc is too ambitious.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

The Tournament of Power arc is too ambitious.

Post by Totamo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:34 pm

When this arc was announced, a lot of people were hyped. I was worried. Not because I think it be interesting. I thought the idea was too interesting for Super to execute it.

Then the battle royale was announced, my worries skyrocketed. So you are giving us 75 new characters in one arc. Bleach nor one piece would attempt that and those two are known for character bloating. You might give them, names. personalities, abilities and backstories? Because otherwise no one will care about all these characters.

Then they tried to add teamwork and tactics to mix. Now, that was also ballsy. Because it takes more effort to create a tactic or combination for 80 characters and then explain it being successful.

Then they brought back fan favorites. Now you have give them a good showing or fans will wonder why you brought them back at all. Don't forget quality screen-time as much as quantity screen-time. Fans do count. Plus character interactions.

Then there is animating all this. making the ring look chaotic so people can feel the rumble, making the choreography for all this and you basic have a production and writing hell.

Thats why I'm more lenient about some of this stuff to the point where I just want to have fun and some episodes don't give me that. And I do believe that everyone involved is trying, but when you are backed against the wall with time plus a vague plotline from someone who probably wouldn't even attempt this himself back when he was doing all this alone, I can see why they took the easy way out.

If everything I said had happened, this might have been the best arc in all of dragon ball and redeem the awful Resurrection F arc, which remains one of the 4 arcs: Super 17, The blackstar dragon ball hunt and garlic jr added, that I will never rewatch.

But sadly, Super couldn't hold it and its sad because I know this arc might be the last arc for a lot of people. There is nothing to look forward to. This was it for them and the fandom will be divided after this.

What do you guys think?

MaskedRider
Banned

Re: The Tournament of Power arc is too ambitious.

Post by MaskedRider » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:45 pm

There is some genius in it in a way. While having to introduce seventy plus new characters, they didn't. I understand why it could be called lazy I think that would be too ambitious in itself. Before the tournament we got an idea of what universe six was, universe ten, universe nine in the Zen exhibition matches, a little and soon expanded on universe eleven, a tiny tiny bit of universe four, three and two while not needing to be introduced to the universes excluded from the tournament. We got to spend some time with Roh and the Trio and get to know who they are but did doing that really, be honest, make anyone care about their erasure? Personally, I cared more about Obuni being erased as I learned more information about him and seeing how he relates to Gohan.

I don't think animation will be as big as a problem. It seems like they got it under control (compared to earlier work) and while there may be slip ups it doesn't bother me personally. Re-using animation was never a problem with me too (there is only so many ways to draw someone talking at an up close shot) but I think they did themselves a favor with working smarter and not harder by making the tournament take place in the world of void because...there's nothing. The only scenery they have to animate is the ring's ground being torn up. There is also the universe being erased where they don't have to worry about animating audiences because they won't be there anymore except the angels so I would imagine it would be less drawing and animating when there are less people on the stage and audience.

The only issue that this tournament has is not helping me be more immersed in the battle royal. When the gong sounded and we saw everyone running and throwing blasts, that was good because you got to see the ring lit up and everyone going at it. I don't even care if other universes aren't eliminating other universes, the lack of seeing fights between them is a problem, I love that the next episode is going to show a member of universe three against universe eleven members. Though I have been skimming and re-watching episodes since 77 and the whole build up to fighting universe seven and eliminating them first is out there so I suppose it isn't too much of a stretch why they are being focused on but still.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Honestly, the idea seems great to me since we haven't seen a battle royal type scenario like this in Dragonball yet. And for the first few episodes I was really hooked! One of my favorite moments was when Basil and Hit took out Narirama. That's the kind of stuff I was hoping to see.

I understand needing to focus on our team, but seeing some other fights going on would help things out immensely for me. Especially with the passage of time being as slow as it's been.

My biggest issue with this whole arc is the fact it's all taking place before the end of Z. That immediately killed any suspension I could have had. You set up an 8 universe battle royale, where the losers get erased, set during a time where we know Goku is going to meet up with Uub and go off with him to train. And since they have no plans to change that, it killed the tension for me.

It's been an exciting ride, I'm excited to see where they're going with it all (I have ideas), but I feel the execution has definitely suffered

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:03 pm

I think people's expectations were too high. Anyone who has watched any other anime knows they weren't going to give backstory or time to that many new characters.

Its like expecting the Hunter Exam in HxH to focus on everyone who entered. Logic would say it isn't happening, its too much time on things people will forget or not care about when we never see most of these characters again.

I have my own complaints about the tournament but I blame this specific reason on fan ignorance.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:18 pm

I still think it was too early into Super's run for this tournament. They should've spent some arcs in other universes first so we'd be familiar with them like we are with 6 and 10.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Chuquita wrote:I still think it was too early into Super's run for this tournament. They should've spent some arcs in other universes first so we'd be familiar with them like we are with 6 and 10.
Or maybe super's entire run could have been about the expanded multiverse?

We got what we got. Its not like they can see the future

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Chuquita wrote:I still think it was too early into Super's run for this tournament. They should've spent some arcs in other universes first so we'd be familiar with them like we are with 6 and 10.
The problem is...its corny for U7 to be involved in the issues of every universe...and If they somehow need to save each how do we take them serious as threats?

They could have done arcs not involving U7 but they would lose a lot of viewers.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:29 pm

The only thing I consider too ambitious is in regards to the animation. The show already had trouble stringing more than a couple of above average looking episodes and that was in arcs where fighting didn't need to be happening 100% of the time. The rest, it was doable.

Expecting all the new characters to have much depth is delusional. A few of them yes, a couple ones would be a tier below and the majority would be gimmick/dispensable characters.

The wolf character that almost ringed out #18 is in my opinion what the average character should be like, thematically it hit the nail on the head, had impact in the little it did and while not memorable it isn't exactly forgettable.
Dr. Rota from the last episode as a simple gag also works. Not all need to contribute in terms of fighting. A handful being one hit fodder is obligatory.

In regards to the old characters. So far they are 2 of 3. Kame-Sennin and Kuririn were very well treated. Tenshinhan not so much.

Many of the failures are due to bad writing, poor planing and forcing characters in:
  • Couldn't they make some stock animation for the background? To better the atmosphere and give it the feeling of a battle royal.
  • If Kame-Sennin got such a well-written episode, certainly Tenshinhan could have got the same treatment.
  • Hit and Dyspo fight perfectly illustrated a dynamic and based on strategy fight, again this could extend to the rest of the tournament. Specially since most of the characters have a unique trait that can be used to create, although temporary drama and struggle.
  • Time is the best resource, I assume this tournament doesn't need to have set number of episodes. Certainly they could manage themselves better to provide a better arc, even if it meant stretching here and there.
To conclude, they could have had the "perfect tournament", meaning episodes like Hit vs Dyspo. All they need was to maintain the level of writing and overall plan better for a better atmosphere and better sequencing. Sometimes it seems we are jumping wildly, following a list instead of watching a "live event".

With this said unrealistic expectations will never be matched. Fans need to have some perspective and not ask for the impossible. Sure having this tournament is pretty hype, this isn't the end game. This idea has been manufactured by fans.

Most Dragon Ball arcs feel like the ceiling of the show, it never happens:
Evil Demon who tormented the Earth hundred of years ago, Emperor of the Universe, Ultimate Scientific Creation, Ancient Evil Monster, The embodiment of Destruction, Immortal God and Evil Goku...

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:12 am

When one can fix the problems with the arc by just fixing the obviously stupid decisions in a few sentences, I don't think ambition is the problem. Incompetence is the problem. It's like GT where the concepts should have been EASY to do right, but due to pure writing incompetence, the stupidest of decisions were made, hence annoying several fans. I don't think it's that they aren't trying. It's that they are trying their best but their best isn't even close to good enough. At least that's what I think, and to me that's A LOT sadder of a way to fuck up than just having too much ambition.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:08 am

You're right overall. I think a big tournament could've worked if it wasn't a battle royal and if we got to know all these characrers before like we did with U6. The show also isn't in a position where it can handle a lot of good fights so waiting for the production to get better also would've helped.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.