Episode #0094 (16 September 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0094 (16 September 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:07 pm

Episode #0094 (download MP3)
56:32; 64 kbps, mono; 25.8 MB

Episode #0094! VegettoEX and Meri discuss, dissect, and divulge all information on the October 2007 issue of Shonen Jump's "Dragon Ball Collector" section. From an interview with Akira Toriyama, to a translation of "Neko Majin Z 5", to a whole bunch of both relevant and entirely irrelevant information, what was the purpose of this seemingly major production? Video game news, September's releases, and your e-mails round out the episode. See you next week at AWA! Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the bizarro *ninety-four* episodes, now.

"Dragon Ball Collector" has arrived...! Is it really something to be excited about? Not really. It's just a couple bucks :P. We go into pretty good detail about everything, though.

Like I noted on the home page, I totally forgot to mention during the show that the episode of Jeff's Podcast (Lo-Fidelity) that I special-guest-co-hosted with him is already online for listening. Check it out for a totally different view into our minds.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:29 pm

Wow, Burndit submitted that pic of Trunks Cola... Huh... :shock:

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:56 am

Hm... Emmys or podcast? Eh, I barely watch most of those shows anyways. Podcast it is then!

Cool stuff-age as usual, especially since I can follow along with my own copy (even though I didn't). I'm also of the mindset that Dragon Ball Collector really wasn't aimed at me, what with the cheesy "fluff" segments thrown in there, but there are some small things in there that I enjoyed. And while I'm on the topic of what age groups the series is aimed at, what age group do the Daizenshuu aim for?

Also, Mike, could you put up a list of whatever song you reference at the end of each episode? I've been listening to you say some random lyric each week, and I figured it's about time that I look up some of these songs.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:50 am

YAY! My thing about how I preferred Julian's translation of Goku's speaking pattern was mentioned. So cool. X3

I was kinda sad when Mr. Corlett got replaced with Mr. Kelamis; even though Mr. Kelamis does a better Ms. Nozawa-esque scream than Mr. Corlett. (IMO)
Like if Ocean had pulled a Funi Ginyu and had Goku's first VA do his dialogue and his second do the screams...but then that would complicate things probably.

Yeah, I'm not gonna be picking up that issue of Shounen Jump.
Infact the last time I bought it was when they had that preview of Dr. Slump; then I dropped it completely.

Those bedsheets on Meri's site; I remember seeing them years and years and YEARS ago at Target. XD
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

XxAtarisCorexX

Post by XxAtarisCorexX » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:32 am

Ah yes, I shall get a picture of my cat sleeping on my crotch as soon as I find my camera.
Elitism is a very bad personality trait. I'd rather deal with an eager to learn moron than a mean-spirited, angsty piece of shit.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:19 am

For that "Broli Double Blu-Ray" set, why not add the Japanese artwork for Movie 8? I mean, no one's seen it yet. The American artwork and the original art looks disgusting. It was like they shit on half of the original Movie 10 Art and put two logos on it.

Oh, and I totally found it at random at BlockBuster yesterday. I totally forgot about it, and being retarded, the people at BlockBuster had them all on the shelves backwards. I saw the Blue Dragon Add and thought it was the guide for Blue Dragon. I pick it up, and to my amazement Goku was on the front.

Best surprise ever.

Cosmodious

Post by Cosmodious » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:39 pm

No finding out your dump has magic powers is the best surprise ever!

That was a fun day!

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:01 pm

I loved the Lo Fidelity guest appearence, that podcast finds me tons of fantastic music (I also think I might be the member mentioned but maybe it was someone who emailed you). I'm just off to download this episode of DaizEX now. I'll post my thoughts then. *Switches computers*
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:29 pm

Julian has a Jump store near him!? Jealous. But I do have this really awesome used book slash DVD slash video game store near my apartment where I can buy old One Piece video games and Dr. Slump kanzenban and whanot, so I can't be too mad :D .

So Majin Neko Z got translated? Neato. I never checked out Julian's translation, and I'm not really able to (easily) check out Viz's version, so I may just have to go through the series in Japanese. I wonder if it's easy enough to understand? I seem to be doing ok with Dr. Slump in Japanese, so I assume Neko Majin Z won't be too different?

It is weird, though, that Viz would start with the final chapter. I agree with Meri that the fact that it has Goku in it probably led to that decision, but after what happened with Bobobo-bo Bo-bobobo, you'd think Viz would learn not to skip around so much.

Anyways, another good podcast, as always. I know you guys have plans for your 100th episode, but what about the two-year mark episode? Isn't that coming up really soon as well??  
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:48 am

Well, sounds like I'll be passing up on this Dragonball Collector. Thanks for giving the scoop on everything.

It sure would be great if the team went back to the way it was when they were doing Z unedited for the first 10 volumes...I weep inwardly.

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:03 am

I have to agree on wanting a new Dragon Ball movie, I really want to see a brand new villian (Not another return of Coola/Brolli movie).
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:40 pm

Man, this makes me so sad. Viz was what pretty much got me into Dragon Ball to begin with, so seeing them reduced to this is depressing. Unless they were always this hokey and I was just too young to notice. Seriously though: “As sure as Goku begat Gohan”? What the bloody hell?

On another note, looking at the picture of the Dragon Ball Collector on the home page, I noticed they have the kanji for “meal” (“shokuji”) on the cover (it’s the two symbols that SSJ3 Goku seems to be staring at). Is there any reason for this? It seems like kind of an arbitrary thing to put on the cover, unless it has some secondary meaning I’m not aware of.
Last edited by Herms on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aegoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aegoku » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:44 pm

Every month Shonen Jump has a "kanji of the month" which they place on the front cover. Somewhere inside the issue they tell you what it means. As far as I know what kanji gets put on the cover is arbitrary. Hope that explains everything.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:04 pm

Meri, someone oughta wash your mouth out with soap, "take a picture wit a ----- on your crotch", discusting.

Anyway, I was looking forward to listening to this episode since I saw it posted. I was really glad to see Dragonball collector added to Shonen Jump and picked up the issue as soon as I could.
Neko Majin Z was awsome, but it definatly felt too direct and it felt as though their wasn't enough improvising with the translation; as you guys mention. The "namekian special technique" thing pissed me off as well and the episode counts confused the hell out of me too. I also was suprised they didn't give Hebert credit for teen/adult Gohan as well.
All around very cool and I was pleasanty suprised to find the action figure section as a finale, as I am a huge figure colllector, all starting from Dragonball. I'm looking forward to future issues and please, please give us a one shot Neko Majin volume!

Great review!
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku