"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Sandubadear wrote:People complain that the anime has only a couple of people fighting while everyone is apparently just standing there, but I guess it's a rule so Zen'ou can actually enjoy the fights.
Well, this was never implied in the anime and even if was, it wouldn't sound stupid that most fighters are just standing there while other people fights, waiting to make their move? I mean if Zen-Oh wanted to enjoy more the fighting, I guess he could increase 48 min timeout.
mute_proxy wrote:The amount of "eat this" and "don't get cocky" in the manga is getting out of hand :roll:
As a matter of fact these are most common in shounen.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Kanassa wrote: I was thinking more 'Shadow of Mordor' and Heles just found out Liqure is immune to ranged attacks...
Arrow proof!
Damn, slowed time focused shots from Heles's perspective would have made an awesome addition too..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:39 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Kanassa wrote: I was thinking more 'Shadow of Mordor' and Heles just found out Liqure is immune to ranged attacks...
Arrow proof!
Damn, slowed time focused shots from Heles's perspective would have made an awesome addition too..
I'm betting Liqure was wishing he was arrow proof at that moment, must have hurt like hell. The attack might not have killed him but it shore has heck put his arm out of commission. Luckily he's got his tails.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Arrow proof!
Maybe she ran out of focus trying to aim for his head.

Damn, now I just want a Shadow of Mordor-esc Dragon Ball Game.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Toyotarou probably thought he needed a reason for the "no weapon" rule to be established.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:54 pm

alakazam^ wrote:Toyotarou probably thought he needed a reason for the "no weapon" rule to be established.
Hmm though he's missing out on the no doping rule isn't he?

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:54 am

Doctor. wrote:
Meshack wrote:
emperior wrote:I didn't pay attention to the possible plot-hole of Goku suddenly not being able to sense Toppo's God Ki. Maybe Toppo's God Ki is different? Or maybe Goku can only sense the God Ki of people below his current power level, meaning he would sense Toppo's power only as a Super Saiyan Blue. Although it really looks like Toyotaro just messed up.
Gokuh can’t sense god Ki at all in his base form. He can only feel the pressure. The anime is weird about this
No, he can certainly sense God Ki in the anime, nothing weird about it. The Oracle Fish confirms Vegeta can sense God Ki back in the F arc, and if he can, so can Goku.
Dude, do you pay attention? I was clearly talking about the manga

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:59 am

HeroR wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I don't see why people are saying Toppo is different. We've seen this sort of calm behavior from Toppo in the anime too, back when he was talking to Kahseral and the Pride Troopers. The only difference here is that Toppo doesn't see Goku as an enemy/evil in the manga. If he did, I'm sure he would act in the exact same way as in the anime.
I do agree mostly. Toppo does have a calm side that people tend to forget and we have seen it in the anime. He isn't all 'justice' 24 hours. He's just shown as a ham in battle.
Meshack wrote: First, you’re comparing battles in the universe to a battle
somewhere in Zenoh’s Palace. There’s no way it could be the same because you can’t destroy anything in the place there were in except the battle stage. A battle in the universe can destroy planets and shatter the universe because it’s destructible.

Toppo has no personality? It’s only been two chapters and he was barely able to show “personality.” In Chapter 28, he was just introduced as the candidate for Hakaishin in the 11th Universe and that’s it. Halfway through Chapter 29, he was surprised to fight against Gokuh and just fought most of the time and he showed respect to Gokuh. There wasn’t really much to give to Toppo except to show that he’s respectful to his opponents. We still have next chapter and the latter chapters for the Tournament of Power to give Toppo more personality.

What’s wrong with explaining things? Do you want everything to be kept as vague and want pointless discussions about stuff? Toyotarou’s explanation for the Hakaishin not participating is not best but it’s something. Maybe Toyotarou didn’t want the same explanation as the anime and wanted another way to have the humans do a tournament as oppose to the Hakaishin. We don’t even know if the Super Dragon Balls are going to be used in the manga (probably will but still.)
Kind of an assumption and why wouldn't I assumed seeing a battle between all the Gods of Destruction to be more dynamic since they have been built up as the strongest in the multiverse outside of the angels. So seeing their fight being no different than seeing thugs fight is disappointing, especially when the manga has better and more creative fights with just mortals. I'm sorry, this just feels like a letdown to me, but I don't begrudged anyone who did enjoy it.

As for Toppo, no personality was a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but he's really generic right now. I also strongly disagree that "there wasn’t really much to give to Toppo". I mean, we got a good idea of Black was with just one line in both the anime and manga. It's called an established character moment.

Why Zen'o wants mortals to fight over the gods wasn't something that really needed explained, especially when not even casual fans asked this question and as I pointed out, the anime explained this in one sentence. So this being the reason for the God of Destruction rumble felt like weak sauce to me. It was an explanation that really wasn't needed, the reason why the Gods of Destruction fight was boring was weird and half-baked, so it makes everything feels like an excuse plot. If Toyo didn't want to used the anime excuse, that's fine, but it felt like a change that wasn't really needed.
Did you not understand what I was saying about Toppo? I was saying that he couldn’t do much character development because he was barely in the chapters. What could he have done? Nothing.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:03 am

Meshack wrote: Did you not understand what I was saying about Toppo? I was saying that he couldn’t do much character development because he was barely in the chapters. What could he have done? Nothing.
Yes they could. Other works have done it and the Super manga shouldn't get a past.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:34 am

Just not gonna bother reading any posts since the new chapter came out. I don't need to end up in a fit of rage.

New chapter was great. Diversity between Destroyers was established tremendously and I expect that such a matter will be further addressed in the future.

This version of Toppo is great, and leaves a lot of room for the character to grow. The more conservative approach to everything makes the upcoming scenario appeal to me even moreso than before.

Toyotaro really understands the flow of story established by the original manga and continues to improves with time.

Regarding power levels: I get the impression that Toppo is between Ssj God and Ssj Blue, and used an incredible dodge to compensate the difference. Seems like Goku was in "mastered" Blue (fuck me for bringing that term into the fold over a decade ago) during his last attack, but it's hard to tell one panel after a transformation. I think the general point is that Toppo can match or exceed Goku as he currently is, and Jiren is still way better. The stakes in this version, taken alone, are already well established.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:53 am

The fight between the 12 gods was such a let down. I expected to see a fight more tense and on a large scale like Champa vs Beerus

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:33 am

Noah wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:The amount of "eat this" and "don't get cocky" in the manga is getting out of hand :roll:
As a matter of fact these are most common in shounen.
I'm just the past few chapters had a bunch of them, I think now it's too much

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:12 am

Man, that panel of Goku turning Super Saiyan 3 was gorgeous.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:27 pm

Pretty good chapter. So Jiren is above Velmound in battle power but the gods have special abilities. Also, showed the difference between mortals and god battles. Zeno couldn't see or tell what's happening, some mortals have strong attributes like the gods [Ala Dyspo speed in the anime]. Beerus and Quitela were physically the last gods standing, no wonder why Quitela was not worried about Jiren in the anime. It seems the Cat and the Rat are the rivals [Tom and Jerry?] and the two strongest gods. I thought it was clever for Velmound to play KO'd after being attacked.

Nice to see Super Saiyan three again, and nice for Toppo to win. Gives U7 more hill to climb due to the danger of U11.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:19 am

db super manga need to have color. way more then dragon ball or z. because of the many levels. ssj red god. ssj blue. kaioken blue and so on. any idea where we get a colored db super manga?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:24 am

gohan_black wrote:db super manga need to have color. way more then dragon ball or z. because of the many levels. ssj red god. ssj blue. kaioken blue and so on. any idea where we get a colored db super manga?
Later in time if ever, if it ever gets that level of iconship as the other classics

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:49 am

I find that the manga angers people less often than the anime does.

I mean, it does have those moments like the gohan and goten thing but overall, it hasn't come close to the anger of the show.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:14 am

Totamo wrote:I find that the manga angers people less often than the anime does.

I mean, it does have those moments like the gohan and goten thing but overall, it hasn't come close to the anger of the show.
It's probably because it's a once a month thing. The anime is every week, so people have more to complain about. And there have been times when people were not so happy with the manga...(Future Trunks arc in general)
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:37 am

MajinMan wrote:
Totamo wrote:I find that the manga angers people less often than the anime does.

It's probably because it's a once a month thing. The anime is every week, so people have more to complain about. And there have been times when people were not so happy with the manga...(Future Trunks arc in general)
I dunno about that. A lot of friends I showed the manga to IRL absolutely despised the Black arc, yet were able to enjoy the manga because they felt it made more sense. It's the little things, yknow? Goku not using SS3 during the fight with Jiren left me feeling a bit sour and disappointed, even though it's a small thing, yet Goku actually cycles through all his forms during the fight with Toppo. It made me feel vindicated for the slight from an earlier episode.

The fact that it's pretty consistent for the most part in regards to the strength of characters is also a big help. Like, yeah Kaioken was hype, but it also sorta doomed Vegeta to forever be behind Goku. The fact SSG alone is supposed to be more than half of Beerus in terms of power also left me going "well shouldn't Kaioken close the gap then?" Meanwhile the manga has made it clear that they're still pretty close together in strength, and Vegeta might even be stronger now thanks to Goku slacking off.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 am

MajinMan wrote:

Plus less people read the manga, so you have less overall outrage.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.