Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Araki
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Araki » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:09 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Three animation supervisors
Eh, i don't know, that seems to be par for the course these days.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:33 pm

I know this is not related to the thread, but I loved the writing of this episode, who was it? Also art and animation were on point, way better than last week.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Noah wrote:I know this is not related to the thread, but I loved the writing of this episode, who was it? Also art and animation were on point, way better than last week.
Yoshitaka Toshio.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:04 pm

-Episode 112-

Much better episode than the last one. It feels good to know they can deliver episodes like this, despiste the great Special we had two weeks ago.

Those shots of Vegeta vs Cabba first fight can't compare to how the show looks now.
Nagamine/Nakamura should just do a tutorial about how to improve the look of a show with bad schedule using filters.

Shida didn't animate anything like I was hoping, but his storyboard and Toshio's writing delivered it as always.

SSJ2 Cabba's Galick Gun stood out with those scribble (impact?!) frames there. And it's always good to have battle damage.

Next episode looks cool too.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Miuma's part was nice, especially how he did a black-and-purple sketch style for a few drawings. I wish Cabba's attack on Freeza had been animated better, though. If Miuma had had more time it would've been a lot better. The series still feels like its being made at the last second and it's hurting when and where it should not.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:00 am

Weird, I thought the animation this week was just okay, nothing special.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:07 am

HeroR wrote:Weird, I thought the animation this week was just okay, nothing special.
It was above the average for the tournament thus far. It was polished and extremely competently put together with some interesting bits here and there.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:46 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

From the preview. The pointy cheeks here makes it look similar to late DB/Early Z. Goku looks like he's fighting Freeza on Namek. I love it <3 No round faces in DB.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:55 am

A lot people were worried that this arc would be impossible to do and shows with even good schedule struggle to do something like this, but what we have gotten so far shows that in fact we're getting the opposite and Toei are pulling this off (and well) so is it now moot to still worry about the schedule? Regardless of what's happening behind the scenes what're getting is good and nothing this arc has imploded like it did in the past. Like I don't think anyone predicted the special would be that good, something that good coming out of the poorly scheduled DBS? Makes me think no point worrying about it now.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Weird how amazing the animation was this week.
I didn't expect such quality so fast after the special.
Makes you think what is the situation with the schedule.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Just watched the dub of #38, some parts in the Vegeta vs Hit fight look even worse than I remember.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:29 pm

That little change to white and purple on Cabba's hand with the Galick Gun was so un-Dragon Ball like, and I loved it. I can't recall ever seeing that sort of thing in this franchise. Forgive me for not knowing the specific terminology, because I know that's probably a specific animation technique with a name.
JulieYBM wrote:Miuma's part was nice, especially how he did a black-and-purple sketch style for a few drawings. I wish Cabba's attack on Freeza had been animated better, though. If Miuma had had more time it would've been a lot better. The series still feels like its being made at the last second and it's hurting when and where it should not.
Agreed. This show is totally fine, for sure, but it feels like every great animator they get isn't usually able to give it there best. Whenever they bring on guys like Ken Otsuka, Shida, etc., their cuts are almost always lacking compared to what they're able to do on other shows, and it's a bit disappointing. The big names are consistently seemingly forced to cut some corners for this show. I dream of a day where Shida can do a One Piece level cut in Super, but at this point I don't know how likely that is.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:46 pm

Artorias wrote: Agreed. This show is totally fine, for sure, but it feels like every great animator they get isn't usually able to give it there best. Whenever they bring on guys like Ken Otsuka, Shida, etc., their cuts are almost always lacking compared to what they're able to do on other shows, and it's a bit disappointing. The big names are consistently seemingly forced to cut some corners for this show. I dream of a day where Shida can do a One Piece level cut in Super, but at this point I don't know how likely that is.
The show keeps getting better and better looking and the staff keeps growing, I don't know why anyone would still doubt that the show will get to the point that it can match OP.

Razyos

Post by Razyos » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:45 am

No rush, but are there any plans to update the front page soon? I always did enjoy looking at that :)
Spread positive vibes~ ^.^

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:52 am

Super's quality has reached new heights, and it doesn't look like it's going to have anymore "breakdown" episodes. While the Future Trunks arc did have improved animation, including some awesome Shida/Tate stuff, it still had episodes like 62 and 67, which were pretty terrible. And speaking of those episodes, has Kitano done anything as of late? It seems like they wiped him out of Super completely these past few months.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:55 am

#38:
Disappointing actually. Tate stuff was decent but not nearly as good as I was expecting maybe 'cuz spoiled over his better stuff later? Tsuji needed to be more present here there some really rough art in this episode, can no one draw base Goku hair properly in this arc? Yeash. Watching this arc simultaneously with the current JPN one probably makes it more worse than it is, or maybe not I don't know but I haven't really been too impressed with the animation and the like in the U6 arc on this re-watch, some decent storyboarding here and there and that is about as good as it got. #39 in 2 weeks, I remember that being okay not great, but that moment probably makes up for the whole episode.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:56 pm

MajinMan wrote:Super's quality has reached new heights, and it doesn't look like it's going to have anymore "breakdown" episodes. While the Future Trunks arc did have improved animation, including some awesome Shida/Tate stuff, it still had episodes like 62 and 67, which were pretty terrible. And speaking of those episodes, has Kitano done anything as of late? It seems like they wiped him out of Super completely these past few months.
Kitano has been decreased now to only a Key Animator, as opposed to once being not only a KA bt also an Animation Superviser. I guess the series directors knew that he just wasn’t that good.

And Kitano did pretty much almost the entire Spirit Bomb scuffle between Goku and Jiren as he did the last couple of minutes of episode 109. He also did a few things in episode 103.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:53 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
MajinMan wrote:Super's quality has reached new heights, and it doesn't look like it's going to have anymore "breakdown" episodes. While the Future Trunks arc did have improved animation, including some awesome Shida/Tate stuff, it still had episodes like 62 and 67, which were pretty terrible. And speaking of those episodes, has Kitano done anything as of late? It seems like they wiped him out of Super completely these past few months.
Kitano has been decreased now to only a Key Animator, as opposed to once being not only a KA bt also an Animation Superviser. I guess the series directors knew that he just wasn’t that good.
That, and there was also extra (and more talented) animators to spare. As supposed to Super having to feed off of scraps for the best part of the first 18 months the show existed.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:15 pm

I never seen any Shida cut better than the one he made in ep66, including other shows. Can someone post here one that the majority of you think is one of the best?

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:51 pm

He was in 109, you can see him during the Spirit Bomb scene.