Ultra Instinct "Omen" definitely seems to be the most positively accepted and well received SSJ Form of the new ones

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Re: Ultra Instinct "Omen" definitely seems to be the most positively accepted and well received SSJ Form of the new ones

Post by avasatu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:16 am

I like all of of Goku's forms almost equally, though SS3 is in a distant last place.

For UI specifically:
  • Goku is no-nonsense.
    The form is in general extremely difficult to achieve, even for those on the divine level, and even in comparison to any prior transformations we've seen.
    The aura, silver-tinged hair, and eyes look menacing.
    It's simple looking.
    The dodge effects are awesome.
    The accompanying music is epic.
    It's been teased for so long now.
    It's tough to master, seems to have very unique and frighteningly powerful benefits other than just "wielder gets stronger and faster."
    It seems to be multi-faceted; learning it is like peeling back the layers of an onion.
    The way Goku achieved the form, while a bit hand-wavy, was unique and emotionally convincing.
Unlike many others, I couldn't care less that it's not Saiyan-specific. I'm not sure how that would make it more interesting other than the fact that the other Z-fighters characters could someday achieve it. But can they? My guess is that one needs significant mastery of god ki to even begin bothering to try to think about tackling Ultra Instinct, and I don't see that happening. Also, god ki also isn't exclusive to Saiyans, so it's not as if this is the first non-Saiyan-specific idea introduced in Super.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Ultra Instinct "Omen" definitely seems to be the most positively accepted and well received SSJ Form of the new ones

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Ultra Instinct is the perfect embodiment of how Dragon Ball manages to take something simple on paper and make it into a meaningful spectacle that doesn't feel artificially thrown in. It's Dragon Ball's greatest example of less being more. Bonus points for it being foreshadowed so early in the show.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It's Dragon Ball's greatest example of less being more.
You mean along with Super Saiyan 2, of course.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:It's Dragon Ball's greatest example of less being more.
You mean along with Super Saiyan 2, of course.
Eh. SSJ2 was unique for one character. And right it's introduction, it became a meaningless form.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:17 pm

It's probably one of the best one's period because of it's difficulty in just attaining it and it's mechanics. It's not just a generic power up and attaining it still leaves a lot of room for logical growth.

Which means they'll ruin a lot of it when Goku masters it in 20 minutes just in time to beat Jiren.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:20 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:It's probably one of the best one's period because of it's difficulty in just attaining it and it's mechanics. It's not just a generic power up and attaining it still leaves a lot of room for logical growth.

Which means they'll ruin a lot of it when Goku masters it in 20 minutes just in time to beat Jiren.
If Goku beats Jiren with it, it really needs to be by the skin of his teeth. I want Ultra Instinct to be something Goku spends a lot of time getting used to and improving.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Eh. SSJ2 was unique for one character. And right it's introduction, it became a meaningless form.
Sure, Super Saiyan 2 has been misused and is one of the major mistakes in Dragon Ball franchise (but now thanks to Dragon Ball Super, I can finally live in peace!). However, I'm talking about aesthetic. It's still the very meaning of "less is more" too.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Best form since the original SSJ in my opinion,they recaptured that vibe. Wonder how they can beat this, but hey, I thought the same after SSJ.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Eh. SSJ2 was unique for one character. And right it's introduction, it became a meaningless form.
Sure, Super Saiyan 2 has been misused and is one of the major mistakes in Dragon Ball franchise (but now thanks to Dragon Ball Super, I can finally live in peace!). However, I'm talking about aesthetic. It's still the very meaning of "less is more" too.
The lightning aura is pretty cool. But I feel SSJ2 doesn't really work for characters like Vegeta, Gotenks, Adult Gohan or Cabba. It kinda works for characters like Goku and Future Trunks (in the Dragon Ball Super manga), though.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Man, I really love Ultra Instinct!!

- The design and concept is awesome
- It had a proper build-up since ROF arc
- The insert song and the other soundtracks pump me up
- I love how they are keeping the Oozaru's scream
- I love how serious and silent Goku gets. He looks like a fierce beast!

11/10 They really knock it outta the park!

The only thing I want now is Goku to use a new technique with it. Even something like "Ultra Kamehameha" would be great, just give it another color like the 10x Kamehameha in GT.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MKJ

Post by MKJ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:34 pm

It will be interesting to see if the mastered form looks any different. That original photo we saw a couple of months back had goku without a shirt with a red aura. Also jirens aura being red leads me to believe that he has mastered it if he knows it at all. I would not be surprised if jirens meditation is significant to it on some level. Of course we still have more to learn of jirens abilities. By the way, I'm loving the form.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Arg wrote:Best form since the original SSJ in my opinion,they recaptured that vibe. Wonder how they can beat this, but hey, I thought the same after SSJ.
Hell yeah. I remember seeing Super Saiyan as a kid for the first time and I remembered how dominant it looked. More dominant than anything I had seen afterwards in Dragon Ball Z. The angry and serious vibe from Goku was quite a change for him. Not to mention, Super Saiyan was a complete surprise because even though it was alluded to prior to its introduction (just like Ultra Instinct), it still felt as if it came out of nowhere. There was also Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, who also looked dominant and angry as well, but we had already seen it before in his predecessor with Super Saiyan Goku. Super Saiyan 3, God and Blue never had that vibe, but Ultra Instinct re-captures the vibe of mystique, dominance and seriousness like Super Saiyan because it's completely different from the Super Saiyan line entirely, like how Super Saiyan was different from every transformation we saw before it.
Lord Beerus wrote:Ultra Instinct is the perfect embodiment of how Dragon Ball manages to take something simple on paper and make it into a meaningful spectacle that doesn't feel artificially thrown in. It's Dragon Ball's greatest example of less being more. Bonus points for it being foreshadowed so early in the show.
Agreed. The perfect paragon of "complexity of simplicity". The form has "simplicity" in the sense of how Goku physically changes the least in the form compared to all of his other transformations, because the form isn't even a mere hair recolor like Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue; it's a change in aura color, eye color and facial and bodily expression. The form also has "complexity" because of the form's roots in real-world martial arts, how the form branches out from the traditional Super Saiyan line, and how it alludes to Whis' explanation of having the body move on its own nearly 100 episodes back and how it justifies why Whis had Goku and Vegeta train without becoming Super Saiyan. Dragon Ball Z was filled with transformations from major enemies such as Freeza, Cell, and Majin Buu, thus Goku had to adapt by transforming as well. But Goku's most powerful opponents such as Hit, Beerus, Toppo, Jiren and Whis; neither of them transform to get stronger and are all very strong in their normal state. Thus, Goku had to adapt to that as well with Ultra Instinct. I hypothesize that once Goku masters the form, he won't have to deal with the initial symptoms of excessive body heat, physical strain and stamina drain, just like his normal state.
MKJ wrote:It will be interesting to see if the mastered form looks any different. That original photo we saw a couple of months back had goku without a shirt with a red aura. Also jirens aura being red leads me to believe that he has mastered it if he knows it at all. I would not be surprised if jirens meditation is significant to it on some level. Of course we still have more to learn of jirens abilities. By the way, I'm loving the form.
This is probably gonna be an unpopular opinion amongst those who still expect the form to be red, but I honestly think the poster we saw of Goku with red aura was a red herring. I justify this because they pulled the exact same thing with Super Saiyan God in the trailer for Battle of Gods: the aura was blue in the trailer (pics as well), but later shown to be orange in the movie onwards. I think with Ultra Instinct as it is right now, what you see is what you get. I could very well be wrong, but that's just what I think.

With that all being said, Toriyama truly outdid himself with Ultra Instinct. It's definitely my favorite form so far.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:29 pm

It is a form that feels strong and fast. Something ssj blue never was imo.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:42 pm

It's ok so far, but if it doesn't get a proper explanation I'll stop caring for it. Even worse when it becomes obvious Ultra Instinct gets treated the way Blue was overtime diminishing its importance.