Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:24 pm

zamasu121 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
Imo The only positives is if they leave is that blood will return and the show will be "more mature".
No it wouldn't. Nakamura and Nagamine have only been series directors since the start of this arc, the choice to be light on blood was not theirs.
And "more mature"? The show isn't any less mature than Z.
That is false in my opinion. We saw an example of a director that wanted to make the show slightly more mature and actually have some blood, it sucks since it seems like he is not part of the staff of the show anymore.
The show isn't any less mature and the Future Trunks arc only had the tiniest amounts of blood. The show has gone through quite a few directors and the blood usage hasn't really changed much, it's Toei themselves that want the blood to be light, probably for foreign licensing purposes.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:47 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
zamasu121 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: No it wouldn't. Nakamura and Nagamine have only been series directors since the start of this arc, the choice to be light on blood was not theirs.
That is false in my opinion. We saw an example of a director that wanted to make the show slightly more mature and actually have some blood, it sucks since it seems like he is not part of the staff of the show anymore.
The show isn't any less mature and the Future Trunks arc only had the tiniest amounts of blood. The show has gone through quite a few directors and the blood usage hasn't really changed much, it's Toei themselves that want the blood to be light, probably for foreign licensing purposes.
I was actually talking about the filler after the future Trunks arc. You are right that that the decision to have a lot less blood came from Toei, but that doesn't mean that the current director should eliminate blood completely.
In the 20 episodes since the starts of the tournament there was not a single drop of blood, to me that kind of censorship is really pushing it to the limit and it is starting to effect my enjoyment a lot more than it should.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:53 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
zamasu121 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: No it wouldn't. Nakamura and Nagamine have only been series directors since the start of this arc, the choice to be light on blood was not theirs.
He's talking about Kohei Hatano. In every of his episodes, there was blood at the time he was still on the show. And when he was series director, the amount of blood increased: look at Beerus vs Champa (episode 70), or Krilin's blood in episode 75.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:52 pm

So how good can we expect the action to be in the weeks episode

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:20 pm

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Super will never reach the highs of the handdrawn artwork of the best sequences in DBZ, but I guess it doesn't matter. At least nowadays the show doesn't look ugly or have blatantly off-model shots anymore like it did for the entire first year.

The Champa arc has aged really poorly, it's almost unbearable to go back to now after this tournament.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:39 pm

precita wrote:Super will never reach the highs of the handdrawn artwork of the best sequences in DBZ, but I guess it doesn't matter. At least nowadays the show doesn't look ugly or have blatantly off-model shots anymore like it did for the entire first year.

The Champa arc has aged really poorly, it's almost unbearable to go back to now after this tournament.
I'm not so sure I can agree with that at all. I'd put episodes 16, 57, 66, 86, 94, 95, 109, 110, 114 and 116 of Super over anything I've ever seen in Z in terms of quality animation or artwork.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Just a reminder, but the animation for Dragon Ball Super is still drawn by hand, on paper. Like lots of anime today!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:16 am

pacz360 wrote:So how good can we expect the action to be in the weeks episode
With the best regular animation supervisor and key animator, as well as the best regular episode director, those titles going to Naoki Tate and Masato Mitsuka, you can at least expect the action to be noteworthy.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Do you guys think that we're gonna see more special like (in quality) episodes once Goku vs Jiren round 2 starts? Or is that too much to expect?
Also, can i expect Super to look this great (if not better) after the TOP arc?
How i got into this shit:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:22 pm

FartiliciousManChild wrote:Do you guys think that we're gonna see more special like (in quality) episodes once Goku vs Jiren round 2 starts? Or is that too much to expect?
I'm sure we'll get some real quality for the grand finale of the arc. As for after, I think it depends how the staffing situation works out with the new Precure in production.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:00 pm

FartiliciousManChild wrote:Do you guys think that we're gonna see more special like (in quality) episodes once Goku vs Jiren round 2 starts? Or is that too much to expect?
The big "climax" episode, the 39/66 equivalent, will probably have the best animation in Super yet.
BlueBasilisk wrote: I'm sure we'll get some real quality for the grand finale of the arc. As for after, I think it depends how the staffing situation works out with the new Precure in production.
There is always a PreCure show going, the one next year is just replacing the one that is airing right now, there is nothing to worry about.
We are just as likely to gain some people when the current PreCure ends as we are to lose people to the new one.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:51 am

BlueBasilisk wrote: I'm sure we'll get some real quality for the grand finale of the arc. As for after, I think it depends how the staffing situation works out with the new Precure in production.
There is always a PreCure show going, the one next year is just replacing the one that is airing right now, there is nothing to worry about.
We are just as likely to gain some people when the current PreCure ends as we are to lose people to the new one.[/quote]
yayy :)
How i got into this shit:

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:48 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
pacz360 wrote:So how good can we expect the action to be in the weeks episode
With the best regular animation supervisor and key animator, as well as the best regular episode director, those titles going to Naoki Tate and Masato Mitsuka, you can at least expect the action to be noteworthy.
Did you just say Tate is the best ki animator in Super?
Better than Higashide, Nikaido and Karasawa? No way. He is the 4th fiddle.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Episode 118

Animation Supervisors
Joey Calangian
Noel Ano-nuevo
Naoki Tate

Key Animators
Toei Phils
Naoki Tate
Tu Yong-ce
Yoshitaka Kato
Masashi Yamada
Osamu Ishikawa

-

That first half wasn't great. Probably the most distracting use of reused animation since the first two episodes of this tournament. Not too surprising considering Toei Phils' involvement, but not ideal.

Second half more than made up for it, I think. Masato Mitsuka's direction really is just above and beyond most of the other directors on this show. He really knows how to frame action, and hey, I actually felt real emotion towards the end, there.

Naoki Tate and Yong-ce Tu did great work together. Really awesome animation in that second half. Wasn't expecting to see Ishikawa there, but his work was nice enough, too.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Tate delivered it well, that punch to the ground was powerful as fuck and superb. The first half had so much reused animation though, it blended well but still very noticeable.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Gohan punching Saonel into the ground was so impactful that I felt it hit me as well. Good lord.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Amir wrote:Tate delivered it well, that punch to the ground was powerful as fuck and superb. The first half had so much reused animation though, it blended well but still very noticeable.
That man hasn't disappointed me this arc at all.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Ajay wrote:Episode 118

Animation Supervisors
Joey Calangian
Noel Ano-nuevo
Naoki Tate

Key Animators
Toei Phils
Naoki Tate
Tu Yong-ce
Yoshitaka Kato
Masashi Yamada
Osamu Ishikawa

-

That first half wasn't great. Probably the most distracting use of reused animation since the first two episodes of this tournament. Not too surprising considering Toei Phils' involvement, but not ideal.

Second half more than made up for it, I think. Masato Mitsuka's direction really is just above and beyond most of the other directors on this show. He really knows how to frame action, and hey, I actually felt real emotion towards the end, there.

Naoki Tate and Yong-ce Tu did great work together. Really awesome animation in that second half. Wasn't expecting to see Ishikawa there, but his work was nice enough, too.
Thanks for your opinion about the episode's animation and continue the great work man!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:26 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Amir wrote:Tate delivered it well, that punch to the ground was powerful as fuck and superb. The first half had so much reused animation though, it blended well but still very noticeable.
That man hasn't disappointed me this arc at all.
Yeah he really started to live up to his talent in this arc. His animation is super snappy with great anticipation for movements, only problem is the choreography, he uses too much looped frames. Still very good work.