Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:34 pm

Amir wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Amir wrote:Tate delivered it well, that punch to the ground was powerful as fuck and superb. The first half had so much reused animation though, it blended well but still very noticeable.
That man hasn't disappointed me this arc at all.
Yeah he really started to live up to his talent in this arc. His animation is super snappy with great anticipation for movements, only problem is the choreography, he uses too much looped frames. Still very good work.
Everyone has somewhere to improve on. Cough Yamamuro cough.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:41 pm

The animation was good while characters were fighting, but man that hole on both Saonel and Pirilla stomachs were awful, it look like it was made on MS Paint for F's sake.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:48 pm

-Episode 118-

Okay episode.

The direction was great. Seeing two Universes get erased in the same episode is something I wanted since the beginning because it makes everything more impactful, and they handled it well.
The writing was also top notch. My only complaint is that U6 erasure could have been more emotional but other than that, fantastic job.

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:08 pm

Noah wrote:The animation was good while characters were fighting, but man that hole on both Saonel and Pirilla stomachs were awful, it look like it was made on MS Paint for F's sake.
I noticed that too, they were literally just black circles. They probably were made digitally.

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Post by King Jacku » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:41 pm

After hearing the staff list on 118, I expected so much more. There was so much re-used stuff here it wasn't even funny. I had a hope that Tate would finally blow my mind with Gohan's fight scene, but nope, I'm never gonna be a fan of his newer work.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:40 am

So uh... thought this episode was supposed to be amazing? What happened? It just looked like an average episode. Nothing bad, and nothing great either.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:47 am

This was one of the most impactful punches I've ever seen in the entire franchise of Dragon Ball. Incredible. It moved me from my seat at the moment of the clash.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:05 am

I only noticed one instance of re used in the first half, it wasn't that bad.
PMD wrote:This was one of the most impactful punches I've ever seen in the entire franchise of Dragon Ball. Incredible. It moved me from my seat at the moment of the clash.

Yeah that was definitely the highlight of the episode. Tate keeps delivering in this arc! His next rotation should be near the end of the ToP I'd imagine, perhaps even the finale!

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:35 am

Everything Is lookin' so perfect at the moment, I only wish Vegeta was drawn like his Buu saga counterpart.
Credit to Tate though, I'm starting to appreciate his choreography a lot more.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:24 pm

If you guys haven't watched Ajay's latest video, go watch it. There's some pretty juicy news: Takahashi will be back to Super, and he will be in the latest episode of this year (121 or 122, depending if they air on the 31st) although it's unknown if he will be supervising or just providing key animation.
He also said he worked on 114 just for 3 weeks, which is insane considering how good the episode turned out. If he works the full 7-8 weeks for his next episode, I wonder how good it will turn out! I'm definitely hyped.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:20 pm

3 weeks to pull off something that made the whole fanbase jizz seems unbelievable to be honest...but that just means he's perfect for DBS.
He's like an upgrade version of Yashima. We need to clone him as soon as possible.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:31 pm

emperior wrote:If you guys haven't watched Ajay's latest video, go watch it. There's some pretty juicy news: Takahashi will be back to Super, and he will be in the latest episode of this year (121 or 122, depending if they air on the 31st) although it's unknown if he will be supervising or just providing key animation.
He also said he worked on 114 just for 3 weeks, which is insane considering how good the episode turned out. If he works the full 7-8 weeks for his next episode, I wonder how good it will turn out! I'm definitely hyped.
Takahashi only hard three weeks on work Episode 114? Yikes. The animators involved in Super are still really working against the clock. He must have worked on that episode straight after the 109/110 double episode special. But Episode 114 did have three supervisors. So'm guessing the mentally was to throw in Takahashi so he could do as much as possible, then leave the rest to the other supervisors (Paul Ano-nuevo and Eugene Ayson), so he would have more time to work on future episodes.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:24 pm

emperior wrote:If you guys haven't watched Ajay's latest video, go watch it. There's some pretty juicy news: Takahashi will be back to Super, and he will be in the latest episode of this year (121 or 122, depending if they air on the 31st) although it's unknown if he will be supervising or just providing key animation.
Hmm. Do we want him as a half supervisor again or just to go completely wild on a cut? Tbh I'd like the latter more.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Hmm. Do we want him as a half supervisor again or just to go completely wild on a cut? Tbh I'd like the latter more.
I prefer to see him as a supervisor while still providing some cuts. Super's supervisors aren't as good as Takahashi. Having Takahashi just providing a good cut wouldn't be helpful for this show's schedule - that would be like having Naoki Tate step down to his supervisor role just to provide cuts, sure he would provide something better than his usual but at what cost? Considering someone like Kitano was kept as a supervisor until recently, it's not a stretch to say the show definitely needs more/better supervisors. In Takahashi's case, I would rather see his awesome art for 24 minutes than a single, awesome cut of 1-2 minutes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:40 pm

Kinda dissapointing episode, I expected a full action packed fight and it was, but they abused of reused shots, the part of gohan solo fighting and the double kamehameha cut was nice though

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:18 pm

emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I prefer to see him as a supervisor while still providing some cuts. Super's supervisors aren't as good as Takahashi. Having Takahashi just providing a good cut wouldn't be helpful for this show's schedule - that would be like having Naoki Tate step down to his supervisor role just to provide cuts, sure he would provide something better than his usual but at what cost? Considering someone like Kitano was kept as a supervisor until recently, it's not a stretch to say the show definitely needs more/better supervisors. In Takahashi's case, I would rather see his awesome art for 24 minutes than a single, awesome cut of 1-2 minutes.
If he's solo supervising then that 100% but if he's only doing half an episode then I'd rather sacrifice 10 mins of good art for 30 secs of something truly amazing.

It's unkown if he's gonna be a regular on DBS yet so that Tate example I don't think quite works. Though with all that said what he was able to accomplish in 3 weeks maybe he can supervise and produce a truly amazing cut with the regular 8 weeks?

Actually now that I think about it, if he supervises and has some awesome action animators like Higashide that would be pretty good too.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Man, doing 114 in 3 weeks? what the actual fuck, that guy is a god, if the end result was that amazing how could it be in the regular time? :shock:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:41 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Takahashi only hard three weeks on work Episode 114? Yikes. The animators involved in Super are still really working against the clock. He must have worked on that episode straight after the 109/110 double episode special. But Episode 114 did have three supervisors. So'm guessing the mentally was to throw in Takahashi so he could do as much as possible, then leave the rest to the other supervisors (Paul Ano-nuevo and Eugene Ayson), so he would have more time to work on future episodes.
Keep in mind that 3 weeks isn't the norm for supervisors on the show, it's more 7-9 weeks.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:55 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Takahashi only had three weeks on work Episode 114? Yikes. The animators involved in Super are still really working against the clock. He must have worked on that episode straight after the 109/110 double episode special. But Episode 114 did have three supervisors. So I'm guessing the mentally was to throw in Takahashi so he could do as much as possible, then leave the rest to the other supervisors (Paul Ano-nuevo and Eugene Ayson), so he would have more time to work on future episodes.
Keep in mind that 3 weeks isn't the norm for supervisors on the show, it's more 7-9 weeks.
It's crazy how well Episode 114 turned out taking this into consideration.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:15 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Takahashi only had three weeks on work Episode 114? Yikes. The animators involved in Super are still really working against the clock. He must have worked on that episode straight after the 109/110 double episode special. But Episode 114 did have three supervisors. So I'm guessing the mentally was to throw in Takahashi so he could do as much as possible, then leave the rest to the other supervisors (Paul Ano-nuevo and Eugene Ayson), so he would have more time to work on future episodes.
It's crazy how well Episode 114 turned out taking this into consideration.
Indeed it is crazy...Crazy HYPE. This guy is extreeemmmee. He's like a monster. Inhumane. A demi-God in disguise. Zeno himself (although i might go too far on this one). If the animation quality produced in a certain amount of time by an animator would be equal to the amount of destruction a weapon could cause, this man would be on 'Solar system destroying meganuke' level. While people like Shida would be equal to an Earth shattering nuke (perhaps taking the moon and Sun with it) and Tate would be a missile being able to take out Europe as a whole. What. A. BEAST.
How i got into this shit: