Episode #0098 (14 October 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:08 am

So I've been away from the forums for a while now but have listened to these podcasts religiously. But god...I don't know if you guys have seen this on YouTube yet, but you really need a new ad campaign...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VqHGuLE6dbc

I'm so sorry...
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:42 pm

I have to disagree about volume 9. The whole Baba saga seemed like pointless filler. In fact, the only part of the RR saga that I actually liked was the Tao Pai Pai / RR base part. For me the whole thing is more like 'hurry up so I can get to the Tenshinhan and Piccolo arc'.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:30 pm

Glad to hear you guys like the FUNimation dub of One Piece. It's freaking awesome. As well, I was thinking the exact same thing that Julian was when I saw the first dubbed episode. "Why couldn't they have done this for Dragon Ball?"

Never read volume 9, but from the sounds of it, it's pretty damn cool. I'll have to pick it up if I ever see it in a bookstore.

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:57 pm

XxAtarisCorexX wrote:Eek, sorry Mike, but I gotta disagree with the who pronunciation of Naruto. When you hear the incorrect pronunciation of Naruto you hear the emphasis on the second syllable "Ru" instead of emphasis on the first syllable "Na" from the correct pronunciation. It's not mispronounced, the emphasis is just put on the wrong syllable. Just seems almost the same as the "mistake" made with Goku's name to me.
The thing is with the pronunciation of Goku its not something you notice the difference as easily, to be honest I never noticed a difference until this episode. With Naruto the difference in pronunciations is so different it sounds like another word, not to mention hes called Naruto in the dub not Na-roo-to.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:20 pm

To be honest, when I'm talking to people I just say Japanese things the English way. So I say "Na-roo-to" and "Super Say-an". If conversation swings that way I may well mention that it isn't actually said that way in Japan but I'm not going to go around pronouncing things all Japanese any more than you'd say "Paris" as "Pa-rhee" with that throaty French "r" sound or, if you're American, switch to a British accent whenever you say "London" or "Dr Who" or whatever. Ok, so that last two examples are kinda different, but it still sounds as silly as suddenly jumping into a Japanese accent to say certain things.
I have to disagree about volume 9. The whole Baba saga seemed like pointless filler. In fact, the only part of the RR saga that I actually liked was the Tao Pai Pai / RR base part. For me the whole thing is more like 'hurry up so I can get to the Tenshinhan and Piccolo arc.'
Well the way I see it, DB was so light-hearted and fun-lovingly irreverent to logic or rules that the notion of filler sort of goes out the window. I mean, the whole "Boss Rabbit" bit was basically just for one gag and there's actually very few necessary parts to the DB manga. It's all just mostly directionless fun. When it does get more serious with the Piccolo Daimao arc, it seems to sort of rush it out and not really develop it that much, then *bang* you're in the Saiyajin arc and there's a much stronger line drawn between "proper story stuff" and "comic relief".

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:54 pm

XxAtarisCorexX wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
XxAtarisCorexX wrote:Eek, sorry Mike, but I gotta disagree with the who pronunciation of Naruto. When you hear the incorrect pronunciation of Naruto you hear the emphasis on the second syllable "Ru" instead of emphasis on the first syllable "Na" from the correct pronunciation. It's not mispronounced, the emphasis is just put on the wrong syllable. Just seems almost the same as the "mistake" made with Goku's name to me.
To me, a flat "Naruto" and "nuh - ROO - doh" are two completely different pronunciations, and I'm going to be stubborn about this until my soul leaves my body.
Haha, I do see where you're coming from actually. It may be the fact that I live in Alabama in which case whenever the two letters n and a appear together in a word it's automatically pronounced "nuh." Even I do it...damn my Southern accent.
I used to do the same. Then the dub premiered and I started to say his name properly. Same was with Sakura, though that was due to influence from American Street Fighter cartoon.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:00 pm

masenko wrote:So I've been away from the forums for a while now but have listened to these podcasts religiously. But god...I don't know if you guys have seen this on YouTube yet, but you really need a new ad campaign...

I'm so sorry...
Ha Good stuff, I'll probably revise it at some point just to include Mike and Meri's comments on what the podcast is about. I knew it wasn't good quality to begin with but free publicity is free publicity. I was basically trying to get people to know the podcast exists. If anyone wants to make a better one feel free. :lol:

Edit: Go figure my 200th post will be commenting on my suck XD
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:20 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
masenko wrote:So I've been away from the forums for a while now but have listened to these podcasts religiously. But god...I don't know if you guys have seen this on YouTube yet, but you really need a new ad campaign...

I'm so sorry...
Ha Good stuff, I'll probably revise it at some point just to include Mike and Meri's comments on what the podcast is about. I knew it wasn't good quality to begin with but free publicity is free publicity. I was basically trying to get people to know the podcast exists. If anyone wants to make a better one feel free. :lol:

It's not so much that it sucks as it's just that it's hard to advertise a purely audio experience via something which is meant to have visuals as well. I mean, to advertise an action film you just splice together action scenes to the tempo of the music but to advertise a fairly long radio show (or any length of radio show, for that matter) using a visual medium is something else. I guess if maybe you picked out some interesting, striking or catchy parts from the podcast and then put them over relevant scenes from the anime it may work.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:25 pm

Teclo wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:

I'm so sorry...

It's not so much that it sucks as it's just that it's hard to advertise a purely audio experience via something which is meant to have visuals as well. I mean, to advertise an action film you just splice together action scenes to the tempo of the music but to advertise a fairly long radio show (or any length of radio show, for that matter) using a visual medium is something else. I guess if maybe you picked out some interesting, striking or catchy parts from the podcast and then put them over relevant scenes from the anime it may work.
That's true but there is also some bad editing and immature humor in there too.
But hey that isn't what this topic is about and I don't want to piss Mr.EX off anymore then he already is after noticing the awful promo I made. :lol:
Anyway nice podcast. I always find you guys interesting and informative.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

kuchi

Post by kuchi » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:26 pm

Hmm. I know ya'll are busily debating pronunciations and advertising, but I thought I'd drop a quick note about the manga review, and that is: if the "I'm a cross" shtick by Upa seems a little out of place, take a look at one of Toriyama's more recent short manga shots called "Cowa" (I believe it's on Toriyama's World). I know the cross idea itself is pretty straightforward, but I was definitely able to roll with the idea when I read it in the Dragonball manga the first time after having seen the same issue addressed in one of Toriyama's other works.

Just an "extra credit" suggestion for anyone interested.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:06 pm

fps_anth wrote:Glad to hear you guys like the FUNimation dub of One Piece. It's freaking awesome. As well, I was thinking the exact same thing that Julian was when I saw the first dubbed episode. "Why couldn't they have done this for Dragon Ball?"
Some people will forever have a chip on their shoulder against FUNimation because of all the stuff they did to Dragonball Z. Sad, really. But what can I say. (For the record, I like the new One Piece dub now that a competent company has the rights to the episodes.)

My input: The Japanese BGM's been restored on the English dub for the DBZ Season Box Sets (except Cha-La, which I can live with thanks to that shiny, candy-like "audio" button on my remote), and they did a good job with Dragonball.

About pronunciation stuff - it's almost like how the British pronounce certain words differently from us Americans, and dialect, and all that. The British will insist a word is pronounced one way while the Americans will insist it's pronounced another way. My take on it -- unless they're pronouncing it absolutely incorrectly in any context or language, either pronunciation is correct to me. "Krillin" is just as correct as "Kuririn"; even Mike's funny-to-me pronunciation as "Curry-rin" is correct. Saiyan pronounced "cyan" or "sayin'" are both correct to me.

I will concede, though, that "K.O. Ken" is not as correct as "Ki-O Ken" for Kaio-Ken.... and that "Tullece" is more correct than "Turles"...

Bottom line - one should know the correct pronunciation(s) of certain names in whatever anime series they choose to watch. Just as it's "Ed (Elric)" and not "Edo", and "Light (Yagami)" not "Raito", it's "Trunks" not "Torankusu".

You may now wake up from this rather pedantic discussion.....
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:00 pm

I find it hilarious when people use "Bejita" and "Gokou" and "Baruma" and "Torankasu" and " Kuririn" and such.

BTW VegettoEX, why do you pronounce Krillin" Ku-ri-rin" and Bulma (Baruma) "Bul-ma"? Weird.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:29 pm

Toniofalcon wrote:BTW VegettoEX, why do you pronounce Krillin" Ku-ri-rin" and Bulma (Baruma) "Bul-ma"? Weird.
Because I do.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Toniofalcon wrote:BTW VegettoEX, why do you pronounce Krillin" Ku-ri-rin" and Bulma (Baruma) "Bul-ma"? Weird.
Because I do.
I personally gave up on the 'r's and pronounce it Klylyn or Kulilin. :P

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:31 am

The source of this pronunciation debate stems, in my opinion, from the very source of DragonBall ; It is manga. There is no sound emitting from the pages so those sounds basically come from the reader's imagination. The anime's pronunciations are just interpretations of the sound designers own opinion. How many people pronounce "route" as "root" or "rou-te"? It's the same idea, if it's spelled the same, people will pronounce it according to how they see the letters. So until Toriyama releases a tape cassette of all the correct pronunciations, everyone should allow slight variations of pronunciation.

p.s. Mr. Satan will never look like H-e-r-c-u-l-e.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:16 pm

Well, the difference is with Japanese, the way it's spelled usually tells you exactly how to pronounce it. Unlike English words, kana are representations of non-ambiguous sounds, and even emphasis is includes in the spelling.

(I'm no expert, so if someone wants to confirm or correct this, it'd be appreciated)

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:10 am

The Lecherous Muten Roshi pretty much hit the nail on the head. Japanese is a very phonetic language. If you see the character for na, the a sound always sounds like the a in "father." NO EXCEPTIONS. While with English, on the other hand, the exceptions are so plentiful that trying to find any sort of pattern is nigh-impossible.

So to a Japanese person, there is no other way to pronounce Naruto than the way it's pronounced in the anime.

Here's a story for you. I came to Japan for the first time in the spring of 2004. I was there to study the language, and everyone else who lived in the dorm was the same way. At that time, the Naruto anime had only been out for a few months, so it didn't have the huge following in the States yet. So anyway, I would watch the show in Japan and read the few volumes of Viz's manga that had been released at that point and would always get the pronunciation that's used in the Japanese version. So would everyone else in the dorm. The thought of a different pronunciation was strange because...how else are you supposed to say it?

Well, I return to America in early 2005. One day, I was in an Asian history class and overheard someone talk about this "Na-ROO-toe" show. And seriously? I had no idea what they were talking about because the pronunciation sounded so off to me. Once they started talking about how the show is about this ninja in an orange jump suit and there's this guy "Sa-SOO-soo-KAY" and this girl named "Sa-KOO-Ra," I finally figured out what they were trying to say. The fact that they got that pronunciation evey after listening to the Japanese version of the anime (where his name is said about a dozen times per episode) boggles my mind.

So...anyways, the manga review was great ^^;; I'm surprised you guys didn't mention the Toonami version of the Invisible Man fight since it did display the most clever editing since Guldo's death. Or the censored Viz version with a bra that you guys mentioned in the episode before this one.

Can't wait until the next manga review!!
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:19 pm

It's funny, but the Baba arc, while nice and short, is one of my least favorites. I just do not like the stories were Goku is leaps and bounds ahead of all the other heroes; I prefer him when he has just a little edge (I think the 22nd Budokai is the best example).

That said, the Dracula Man and Invisible Man fights were awesome.
Trunks & Goten forever