Why arent TFS VA's allowed to work with Funimation at all?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Why arent TFS VA's allowed to work with Funimation at all?

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:42 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
sintzu wrote:
DB1984 wrote:I thought they kinda did with some versions of the Cell Games reenactment dub, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNNT0QYKzRs
That was in Kai's Buu arc and was removed on the last second before airing on Toonami and didn't even make it into the home release. I have no idea why they or Toei decided to pull the plug on that.
Because it was a meme fest more than anything else.
I still believe the real reason it was cut was the use of TFS actors and Goku's "this is the best show i've ever seen!" comment. If the memes were the problem, they wouldn't be in Latino Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Maybe Toei think's the English dub would have more of an international impact if blatant parody stuff is left unchecked, I can see that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
sintzu wrote:
That was in Kai's Buu arc and was removed on the last second before airing on Toonami and didn't even make it into the home release. I have no idea why they or Toei decided to pull the plug on that.
I still believe the real reason it was cut was the use of TFS actors and Goku's "this is the best show i've ever seen!" comment. If the memes were the problem, they wouldn't be in Latino Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs.
Why would that line be a problem? I can't see it.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Is it online anywhere? Maybe Toei didnt like the voices?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:14 pm

sangofe wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
Why would that line be a problem? I can't see it.
It's almost indirectly endorsing DBZ Abridged. I don't think Toei wants a fan made production like DBZ Abridged to be promoted by the licensed cast. If Funi didn't use the TFS actors there, Toei would probably have let things stay as they were.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:With Sabat bringing Brian back for Copy Vegeta, guys like Laniraptor and co would be perfect choice as temporary cast members for the ToP Dub arc.
Whut?What does one have to do with the other?Brian has years of more experience than them and he was brought back for a nostalgia callback.
Why do the TFS members have to voice someone?

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:53 pm

Whatever wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:With Sabat bringing Brian back for Copy Vegeta, guys like Laniraptor and co would be perfect choice as temporary cast members for the ToP Dub arc.
Whut?What does one have to do with the other?Brian has years of more experience than them and he was brought back for a nostalgia callback.
Simple; fan bias for the DBZA series over the Funi series. My cousin is similar; doesn't care for the Funi VAs, prefers DBZA VAs, and neutral on the Japanese ones. And doesn't like to watch the actual, non-abridged series either. :thumbdown:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:11 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Whatever wrote:
Simple; fan bias for the DBZA series over the Funi series. My cousin is similar; doesn't care for the Funi VAs, prefers DBZA VAs, and neutral on the Japanese ones. And doesn't like to watch the actual, non-abridged series either. :thumbdown:
Thats somthing I dont really understand. You can like the voices (as their Goku is much more natural being goofy and I like their beerus voice) but people seem to forget it's a parody. I admit I'm not much of a fan of DBZA or abbridges in general but people who prefer it over the real show I dont really get.

In regards to the topic, Id have to assume its because they arent too fond of DBZA, I dont mind them guest starring/cameo

Lookerman

Post by Lookerman » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:05 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Is it online anywhere? Maybe Toei didnt like the voices?
The original scene? It's on YouTube. Someone managed to capture it from the Xfinity airing before it was taken down.

Also regarding TFS and Funi. I know they did some extras in One Piece, Ping Pong and Heavy Object, with Kaizer also voicing one of the leads in the Danganrompa 3 anime (and a minor role in RoF, something I'm surprised Toei overlooked). So I dunno why they aren't in more non-DB Funi dubs. Maybe Sabat and co. doesn't want to risk losing a license even if it's not DB. Hell if I know.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:18 am

Jackalope89 wrote:
Whatever wrote:
It's such a strange thing, since it's only really funny if you understand where the jokes come from. That, and the voices are amusing because of whom they are parodying. That gets lost if you don't even know who or what they are making fun of...
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:
Whatever wrote: Whut?What does one have to do with the other?Brian has years of more experience than them and he was brought back for a nostalgia callback.
It's such a strange thing, since it's only really funny if you understand where the jokes come from. That, and the voices are amusing because of whom they are parodying. That gets lost if you don't even know who or what they are making fun of...

I think that became my biggest dislike about DBZA. I really never found them that funny (give or take) and its everywhere, you can watch a DBZ video without most of the comments being quotes from DBZA or even VA comparisons of Ocean/Funi/DBZA which never made any sence to me and it's even crept on the DBkai ocean thread lol.

I know I'm in the minority here and it's great they've gotten so much sucesses in what must be fun to make but it's like when your favorite movie gets rebooted and you cant stand it but everyone loves it and does nothing but mention it whenever you mention the original :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:17 pm

I'm pretty certain that some of the TFS cast have had small roles in Kai, Xenoverse and Resurrection F.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:27 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Maybe Toei think's the English dub would have more of an international impact if blatant parody stuff is left unchecked, I can see that.
I heard that Japan isn't fond of direct parodies. They banned Osomatsu-san's first episode because it was a Japanese pop culture mishmash.

So yeah, I can see that Team FourStar, no matter how good they are, won't get work at the actual DB studio.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I'm pretty certain that some of the TFS cast have had small roles in Kai, Xenoverse and Resurrection F.
Minor roles in the film, maybe the series, and provided 1 voice in Xenoverse 1, and 3 voices in Xenoverse 2.