Why Raditz never got a 2nd chance by Goku?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kishido
Banned

Why Raditz never got a 2nd chance by Goku?

Post by Kishido » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Goku gave a 2nd chance for Piccolo and Vegeta... He heared the true story about the Saiyans and Frieza... And still he never gave Raditz the chance to change to something good like Vegeta. I think after Namek saga they could have revived him

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Why Raditz never got a 2nd chance by Goku?

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:44 pm

He gave Piccolo and Vegeta a second chance because he could... (He was stronger than them.)

With Raditz it's different, Goku wasn't stronger than him and the only way to stop him involved Goku's own death so...

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:44 pm

He did when he released his tail. Only Raditz proceed to break his ribs like the nice guy he was.
This was basically the same treatment Piccolo got, except Piccolo didn't immediate turn on Goku after mercy.
Vegeta is a different story with more layers to it.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Kishido wrote:Goku gave a 2nd chance for Piccolo and Vegeta... He heared the true story about the Saiyans and Frieza... And still he never gave Raditz the chance to change to something good like Vegeta. I think after Namek saga they could have revived him
He did threaten and kidnap his son. Who knows Maybe that might be the case or Toriyama simply didn't give a shit due to him being irrelevant to the plot or it's just him being lazy like usual. Interesting question though.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Marco Polo wrote:He gave Piccolo and Vegeta a second chance because he could... (He was stronger than them.)

With Raditz it's different, Goku wasn't stronger than him and the only way to stop him involved Goku's own death so...
After Namek?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:45 pm

I agree with Marco; with Piccolo and Vegeta, Goku could afford to let them go because he was evenly matched with them. Raditz however he had to recruit help, and circumstances transpired such that Raditz was killed. I'm sure if Goku had the opportunity for Raditz to leave and not bother them, he would have.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 am

Gokuh gave Raditz a chance after letting go of Raditz’s tail, only to be attacked immediately after.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 pm

LightBing wrote:He did when he released his tail. Only Raditz proceed to break his ribs like the nice guy he was.
This was basically the same treatment Piccolo got, except Piccolo didn't immediate turn on Goku after mercy.
Vegeta is a different story with more layers to it.
He gave Freeza a chance too and he tried to kill him, yet he didn't kill Freeza.

He killed Raditz because he didn't have other choice. Both Vegeta and Piccolo were defeated and he could (Or at least expected to) defeat them again. Against Raditz he didn't have another choice, or he kill him or he gets killed and he choosed both options.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Goku gave him a chance when he let go of his tail. After that, the only thing Goku could do to stop him was hold him while Piccolo killed him.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:00 pm

Like others have mentioned:
Goku was a good deal weaker than Raditz at the time, and wasn't really in a position to give him a second chance. At that point the *only* way to stop Raditz from killing everyone on earth, was to kill Raditz himself ala Piccolo's SBC. Now, had Goku actually been more powerful, he definitely would have scolded Raditz about his evil ways like he's done to most other antagonists, and offered him a second chance(especially given that Raditz was family) -- it just wasn't a possibility back then.

That said, I do find it kind of odd that Raditz hasn't been revived in *some* manner over the years, considering he is from the same gene-pool as Goku. /shrug

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:41 am

If Goku hadn't gone down, he would've obviously given Raditz a second chance. I don't think he intended to kill Raditz.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:34 am

Cause Toriyama felt he wasn't as good a villain as Vegeta, that could be kept around a little bit longer.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:16 pm

One big difference I see between the Raditz confrontation and the original Piccolo Jr. and Vegeta confrontations was that Raditz actually died, so giving him a second chance would've involved going to the effort of gathering the Dragon Balls and wishing him back. With Piccolo and Vegeta's cases, both were allowed to go freely. Raditz displayed absolutely no redeemable qualities, and remember Goku/ Saiyans don't always appear to value family in the same sense that we would, so I'm not surprised Goku expressed no interest in bringing Raditz back.

Looking at it from a more Goku's personal interest-point of view, Goku viewed Piccolo as being quite useful to him as he was about the same strength at the time and therefore could be useful as a rival to keep Goku on his toes. As the distance between Goku and Piccolo's power levels grew, Piccolo was quickly replaced as Goku's rival with Vegeta, essentially a stronger Piccolo. I recall Goku saying he saw some redeemable qualities in Vegeta, or he at least wanted Vegeta to have the same opportunity Piccolo had. Did Goku ever say he saw redeemable qualities in Piccolo, or did he literally just keep him around so he had a rival/ so Kami didn't die?

I've always felt Raditz was a character who could've been used more though.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:35 pm

But Goku saidthat Raditz could cut his tail off and scape from Piccolo's attack.
So, he didn't gave him a second chance at all
Vados Sama!

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Kishido wrote:Goku gave a 2nd chance for Piccolo and Vegeta... He heared the true story about the Saiyans and Frieza... And still he never gave Raditz the chance to change to something good like Vegeta. I think after Namek saga they could have revived him
He kind of did. Raditz was begging after Goku grabbed his tail. Goku let him

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:52 pm

TheZFighter wrote:Did Goku ever say he saw redeemable qualities in Piccolo, or did he literally just keep him around so he had a rival/ so Kami didn't die?
I believe it was primarily so Kami wouldn't die. Kami was about to kill Piccolo himself when Goku called him out like "if he dies, you do too. and that means no dragon balls." But also the idea that he's a good rival to have and if Piccolo starts trouble again Goku would stop him again.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:19 am

Goku was going to give Raditz a 2nd chance when he let go of his tail but that bitch tricked him. He has no one to blame but himself.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:49 am

With the way things are going in Super, I wouldn't be that surprised if they found a way to bring him back as well (and he'll be SSJ3 level too )

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:19 pm

If they ever brought him back, they'd really have to fix that horrible haircut.
Raditz is the only Saiyan with an ugly design. Even Nappa has an acceptable look, but Raditz' hair just wouldn't work nowadays!

And I don't know why, but his sadistic side makes me think there is no way he could turn into an ally.
Vegeta was cruel due to pride, but Raditz seemed plain sadistic and evil to the bone. Even when I try to imagine all possible scenarios, there is not one of them where I can see Raditz being something other than "mwa ha ha, I love hurting and killing just for the sake of it, I love being a horrible bastard".

I don't think it's possible to redeem that character in any way even if he has the same genes and potential than our miraculous Goku. He was seemingly just made to be unlikable even in his physical appearance and make you think "good riddance, don't ever come back".
He's really the "dull/boring evil".

I guess with less ridiculous clothes, a better haircut, and the same context than Goku (memory wiped out + lifetime with role models and friends on Earth), he could have been another Goku. But circumstances made him the opposite of the likable Goku, both physically and mentally.