"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntoTheFire » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Derf wrote:Incredibly saddened to hear of the hiatus. Dragon Ball Super up until now has been an imperfect, flawed, but incredibly fun series that I've genuinely enjoyed watching over the last couple of years.

Is it the most technically excellent show? No. Is its original story concepts and overall writing up to the standards of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z? Probably debatable, but also probably no. No one is saying it was a perfect show. But there are many of us, me included, who derived enjoyment from the show. I'll be sad to lose it, and I hope it isn't forever.
This is exactly how I feel. Can't say I am looking forward to a break.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Super's quality is arguable, but its impact is not. It's hugely successful. It's done nothing but good things by bringing so much attention back to Dragon Ball. While it can be said the story's, characters, and scenarios are a mixed bag, Super more than enough did the job it set out to do. As a quality series it's debatable honestly. As a important series to Dragon Ball, absolutely. The massive attention gain is great. As a money making machine, fantastic. Dragon Ball Super whether good or bad, is and will be an amazing thing for the series in general for how successful it is.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:00 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
SirTorra wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Right, a series with high ratings, made a ton of money, and got people back into the series ‘tarnished the legacy of Dragonball‘. Opinions on quality, but what you stated is factually untrue.
My second sentence is more of my opinion that many other people who understand basic story telling and basic art and animation agree with. How they handled Super was embarrassing. DB already had simple stories and characters. Super couldn't even handle that aspect well. As for the ratings, yea people watched it because it was Dragonball. It had the benefit of having a beloved franchise name attached to it. That's why people watched it, they expected Dragonball not hot garbage. As for the money, how much did Super sell on its own? Characters like hit, black, future trunks, Jiren, and all characters introduced in super, how did they sell? Less than the original characters like goku, vegeta and piccolo thats for sure. Super helped the legacy of DB as much as GT did if not less.
What the hell are you talking about? Current db has even surpassed Gundam in sales, to think that super has brought just a little to this franchise is ridiculous. Also by the way if super's popularity was only due to having the db logo, then explain to me how it has been much more succesful than Kai which was literally Z but with different music and no filler?

You're making load of assumptions here.
Super didn't revive interest in DB, BoG did followed by RoF. Super played a part just not a big a part as you think. And super has been more successful than kai because its new material and kai is inferior to Z.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:01 pm

sangofe wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
sangofe wrote:Can someone link to this announcement?
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/954086203044675584
I found something interesting there, too, that I think people have over looked: "This site likewise says the new Kitaro series will start in the 9:00 AM Sunday timeslot on April 1st, and that DB's broadcast afterwards is still "under discussion."
That's why I think they're planning whether to do another series or not. They don't really mention the Super title in that, just DB.
SirTorra wrote:Super didn't revive interest in DB, BoG did followed by RoF. Super played a part just not a big a part as you think. And super has been more successful than kai because its new material and kai is inferior to Z.
Which is why revenue for the Dragon Ball franchise has been going up every year when Battle of Gods and RoF are going on 5 and 3 years old? You don't suddenly overtake Gundam riding on the coattails of a years-old movie.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Dragon Ball Super 2 debuts on April 2019. I hope so

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:05 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
sangofe wrote:
I found something interesting there, too, that I think people have over looked: "This site likewise says the new Kitaro series will start in the 9:00 AM Sunday timeslot on April 1st, and that DB's broadcast afterwards is still "under discussion."
That's why I think they're planning whether to do another series or not. They don't really mention the Super title in that, just DB.
SirTorra wrote:Super didn't revive interest in DB, BoG did followed by RoF. Super played a part just not a big a part as you think. And super has been more successful than kai because its new material and kai is inferior to Z.
Which is why revenue for the Dragon Ball franchise has been going up every year when Battle of Gods and RoF are going on 5 and 3 years old? You don't suddenly overtake Gundam riding on the coattails of a years-old movie.
We really don't know. But what I do think is that if it's under discussion, it means that they will put Dragon Ball back on air in some way. Perhaps after this Kitaro anime ends?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:08 pm

SirTorra wrote:
HeroR wrote:
SirTorra wrote:I'm glad Super is finally ending. It tarnished the legacy of Dragonball more than it helped it. It was a train wreck from start to finish. Hopefully if they do continue it, they take atleast a year after the movie to sit down and write a decent story for once with the proper animation it deserves. It's also time for a time skip. Retire goku and Vegeta and let rhe new generation take center stage. But knowing toei and toriyama that won't happen.
Right, a series with high ratings, made a ton of money, and got people back into the series ‘tarnished the legacy of Dragonball‘. Opinions on quality, but what you stated is factually untrue.
My second sentence is more of my opinion that many other people who understand basic story telling and basic art and animation agree with. How they handled Super was embarrassing. DB already had simple stories and characters. Super couldn't even handle that aspect well. As for the ratings, yea people watched it because it was Dragonball. It had the benefit of having a beloved franchise name attached to it. That's why people watched it, they expected Dragonball not hot garbage. As for the money, how much did Super sell on its own? Characters like hit, black, future trunks, Jiren, and all characters introduced in super, how did they sell? Less than the original characters like goku, vegeta and piccolo thats for sure. Super helped the legacy of DB as much as GT did if not less.
People wouldn’t just watch Dragon Ball if they truly felt it sucked, look at GT. And GT nearly killed Dragon Ball.

And are you really comparing character sells of character that are less than a year old or just had two years to Goku who has been around for over 30 years?

Opinions, but your facts are just wrong.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:10 pm

I'll miss having weekly Dragon Ball to look forward too. Let's hope that when (if?) Super comes back it's even better than before.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Sad that we wont get to see Goku vs Beerus 3 or anything about the excluded Universes.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:14 pm

I'd heard the rumors, but I honestly didn't think it'd actually happen. I'll admit, I'm a bit shocked - but Super definitely seems to be doing way too well for the brand overall for it to just stop all together now, so count me among those expecting it to either come back (either as Super or as a new branded show) after Gegege no Kitaro ends it's run (do we know how long of a show that's aiming to be currently, actually?), or it'll move to a new timeslot of some sort. Regardless, we've got the new movie to look forward to in December if nothing else, and we've survived a lot longer gaps without new material before, so I think we'll be able to get along just fine this time too.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'd heard the rumors, but I honestly didn't think it'd actually happen. I'll admit, I'm a bit shocked - but Super definitely seems to be doing way too well for the brand overall for it to just stop all together now, so count me among those expecting it to either come back (either as Super or as a new branded show) after Gegege no Kitaro ends it's run (do we know how long of a show that's aiming to be currently, actually?), or it'll move to a new timeslot of some sort. Regardless, we've got the new movie to look forward to in December if nothing else, and we've survived a lot longer gaps without new material before, so I think we'll be able to get along just fine this time too.
Exactly. In my opinion, it'll be nice to think of Super as a series of the past, in a similar way to how Z or GT is. Having Super as a completed series is closure to me, assuming they don't announce more episodes. Besides, with the new movie, video games, manga, and the ongoing dub, as well as the overall lore of Dragon Ball - We'll all find things to still be excited and talk about.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:20 pm

So super will end with this tournament and with Vegeta/Goku vs Jiren? so sad....

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 pm

mecha3000 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'd heard the rumors, but I honestly didn't think it'd actually happen. I'll admit, I'm a bit shocked - but Super definitely seems to be doing way too well for the brand overall for it to just stop all together now, so count me among those expecting it to either come back (either as Super or as a new branded show) after Gegege no Kitaro ends it's run (do we know how long of a show that's aiming to be currently, actually?), or it'll move to a new timeslot of some sort. Regardless, we've got the new movie to look forward to in December if nothing else, and we've survived a lot longer gaps without new material before, so I think we'll be able to get along just fine this time too.
Exactly. In my opinion, it'll be nice to think of Super as a series of the past, in a similar way to how Z or GT is. Having Super as a completed series is closure to me, assuming they don't announce more episodes. Besides, with the new movie, video games, manga, and the ongoing dub, as well as the overall lore of Dragon Ball - We'll all find things to still be excited and talk about.
Can’t really say the same thing since I honestly don’t care for most of that stuff. Especially not enough to talk about it on a forum.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Post by King Jacku » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Damn.. I'm very sad. Super has played a pretty big part in my life for the last couple years. Like others have said, I honestly didn't believe the rumours, I thought there was no way DB would go on hiatus or end.

On a plus note, I'm glad that so far, they've decided not to spoil Gohan's elimination, the suspense is killing me lol.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:25 pm

I haven't liked a lot of the things the writers have done in this show, but it's been a saturday night ritual for me to watch DBS with my bro. Gonna be sad when it's gone :(

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:26 pm

No need to be sad. While super is ending soon, well get a dragon ball ultra afterwards :lol:

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:29 pm

HeroR wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:
Can’t really say the same thing since I honestly don’t care for most of that stuff. Especially not enough to talk about it on a forum.
Oh. Well, I wouldn't worry too much. They've been setting up Uub for a while now so it'd be a waste not to make at least ONE LAST Dragon Ball series where Uub, Pan, Goten, Trunks, and Bulla are main characters. It'd be a waste not to. Think about it, we've gotten Super Saiyan Kale and Caulifla also. Why wouldn't they also make established characters like Pan and Bra also go Super Saiyan? And like I said, Uub has already been setup multiple times throughout Super while Goten and Trunks haven't even been used really.

My point is, I feel like everyone needs to not go into FULL SADNESS MODE just because Super is ending. Super is not the BE-ALL and END-ALL of Dragon Ball despite what some fans or even YouTubers have been preaching. There's sure to be more, some way or another.

EDIT: And I agree with Kenneth, I always thought Dragon Ball Ultra would be a badass title for a new series and with Ultra Instinct introduced, it seems possible since DBS is possibly named after Super Saiyan. That's assuming the events of Super continue to be relevant to a new DB series. Honestly, I kinda want something that's not an adjective though. Maybe Dragon Ball V, for fifth series?
Last edited by mecha3000 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:No need to be sad. While super is ending soon, well get a dragon ball ultra afterwards :lol:
Ultimate dragon ball sounds much better :P

SirTorra wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:
SirTorra wrote: My second sentence is more of my opinion that many other people who understand basic story telling and basic art and animation agree with. How they handled Super was embarrassing. DB already had simple stories and characters. Super couldn't even handle that aspect well. As for the ratings, yea people watched it because it was Dragonball. It had the benefit of having a beloved franchise name attached to it. That's why people watched it, they expected Dragonball not hot garbage. As for the money, how much did Super sell on its own? Characters like hit, black, future trunks, Jiren, and all characters introduced in super, how did they sell? Less than the original characters like goku, vegeta and piccolo thats for sure. Super helped the legacy of DB as much as GT did if not less.
What the hell are you talking about? Current db has even surpassed Gundam in sales, to think that super has brought just a little to this franchise is ridiculous. Also by the way if super's popularity was only due to having the db logo, then explain to me how it has been much more succesful than Kai which was literally Z but with different music and no filler?

You're making load of assumptions here.
Super didn't revive interest in DB, BoG did followed by RoF. Super played a part just not a big a part as you think. And super has been more successful than kai because its new material and kai is inferior to Z.
Tell that to all the people that got introduced to the franchise throught super (yes they exist) and the people that got into the franchise again with super, hell, some of them even dropped the show when they weren't enjoying it and got back once things started changing.

The series might not have been the beginning to the new modern db Era but it definetly revived some interest.

EDIT:

I'm really sure that dbs will come back, i mean, it would explain why Toyotaro said that he would soon be ahead of the anime.
Last edited by dbs fanboy on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Say, didn't Toyotaro say in that Napoli Comicon interview that they were preparing to lead Super into the End of Z? :think:

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:Say, didn't Toyotaro say in that Napoli Comicon interview that they were preparing to lead Super into the End of Z? :think:
With regard to that, my prediction is that episode 131 will somehow connect to it, leaving an opening for a brand new series to continue past it.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack