Complete BT3 Info and Discussion Thread [UPDATED 10/02/07]

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:56 pm

I know there's a way to mod it to put the Japanese music on, I just cant remember how :(
Also, the remixed music (at least in the DB saga) gets very annoying, because:

a. Sounds like a freakin midi.
b. Bad loop, it pauses and starts over.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:30 pm

I don't know if anyone's ever tried this but I sometimes play my CDs thru my TV when I'm playing video games. For my setup I use the whitw audio plug from one system and the red one from system that I'm playing. I turn of the music from the game and leave the voices and sound effects on.

Though I do wish I had some Dragonball sounds to play with BT3.

On a "Sparking" note, I just found out that the opening song to Tekken 5 is called Sparking by Tom Leonard and Jeff Pescetto. I think it's a cool song but I can't link to it on Youtube (stupid Wii).
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:54 pm

I wonder if this game is going to be avalible to the public on the 13, or if we are going to have to wait an extra day.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:00 pm

not having the actual soundtrack from the show is really pretty damned stupid, and whoever it is at Atari that keeps removing it still needs to be shot
I'd still like to know why people think Atari is responsible for this, especially when the person who creates the new music tracks is Japanese. How do we know that it's not a stipulation by Bandai or Toei? (And when it comes to Toei, it definetely sounds like something they'd do.)
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

kaioken12
Beyond Newbie

Post by kaioken12 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:20 pm

Well, there is one thing for certain.

Today I took a look at a playable demo in a store and read a few things from the character database.

The translations are awful... the german one at least.
They seem to have translated everything from english instead of translating from japanese.
This may not be a problem generally spoken.
BUT: It seems that these guys can't even read or understand english, let alone translate it correctly... this translation is plain crap...

For example, when I read about Ultimate Gohan, I had to smile.
Chichi says something in her comment about him like "Was that before or after he was turned to candy by Majin Boo?" (lets just ignore the fact that he was never turned to candy at all ^^).

However, the german text translates this as something like "Was that before or after he was turned to a sweet Majin Boo?"

Yeah, some slight mistakes which change the meaning of a sentence completely and which not even a 14 years old pupil would make in school.... and that's just one out of many.

I mean, people actually pay a lot of money for the game - and I, as an "older gamer", am just spoiled by the fact, that good and correct translations were very important a looong time ago, when companies still had a good name to lose and actually cared about their esteem... but well... :/

But (it was already mentioned here), what really made me laugh was the english dub of Akkuman (- "Zarbon Mk. II"), that was so awful (compared to the japanese dub), that it was quite entertaining :D
* Of course I did the store a favor and switched the voices to japanese before leaving :P *

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:24 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun May 01, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:43 pm

I haven't been keeping up with this, and I'm behind. But I'm guessing the rumor of Japanese BGM's being used in the American version was false, right?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:47 pm

Yep.

It was also rumored that you would still at least be able to unlock the games theme song "Super Survivor" but that has been taken out as well.

Drunken Master
Regular

Post by Drunken Master » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:49 pm

So the US release is tomorrow?
AKA [b]Pope Blitzkrieg XVI[/b], [b]Mr. Shades-Internet McCool[/b]

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:49 pm

Yes it is.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:26 pm

If (and that’s an if) you’re alluding to the excuse that FUNi sometimes threw out that Toei “wanted too much money for the rights to the music”, that’s an excuse I’ve never believed for a millisecond. First of all, they had no problems using said music for original DB.
Not really directed at that, no, but it is still a viable point. But it's just one of a mountain of them. I don't doubt they wanted a pretty penny more for the music than FUNi was able to shell out originally (don't forget FUNi was still a new company when they got DBZ but had developed a decent financial stance by the time they picked up Dragonball).

The one thing that stands out most to me when it comes to Toei's actions speaking louder than words it's the Sailor Moon rights. Granted, there's no fully verifible proof to it but Sailor Moon is/was a rather profitable series so I don't see a company just letting the rights slip away by not renewing them. Plus Stars was never liscensed at all with all rumors (yeah, I know, but rumors do have basis in facts somewhere) pointing to Toei either simply denying access or wanting way to damn much money. Which does make sense, no one would pass on something garunteed to make money for no reason.

And let's not forget their attempted entry into the US market on their own with dubbtilted Japanese tracks, no extras, that were over priced. Toei really hasn't done much, over the years, to make me think they give a crap about what the fans want, so long as they get what they want and lots of cash along the way.

It very well may have been Atari's choice not to include the music from the show. And if it was it was likely Toei's fault for wanting too much money for the foriegn rights to the tracks. Let's not forget that Atari's having money troubles, they can't shell out large sums of money for no real reason.

I don't know, in my experiences and from the stories I've heard related to Toei, I'm more likely to put any blame for lacking materials on them than anyone else without proof to the contrary. They've not really done much to make me think otherwise. So it's also entirely possible that Toei refused to allow the music to be included here on the game.

(I'm not certain, but I think they make greater royalties off of the domestic game sales than the US sales and you've seen how many people just on these boards would rather import than go without the original music. This is just wild conjecture and speculation though so it shouln't be given much consideration as any real motivation.)

Based off of everything I've heard and know about them. Toei is the basicly FUNimation of anime production. I would have said 4kids but I will give them some credit. :lol:
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun May 01, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 pm

Wow... The American soundtrack is.... Really good. O_O

Don't get me wrong, I love the original tunes, but a) they're midi-quality, and b) they loop too quickly.

These US tunes are longer, higher quality, and sound terrific. I really like the overture theme! This is great news.

Looks like I'll be a proud owner of BT3 for Wii in addition to the JP copy I have for ps2.

EDIT:

Who did the tracks for this game? This stuff is great.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:56 am

Smooth Criminal wrote:Who did the tracks for this game? This stuff is great.
I also need this answer, 'cause its annoying looking at your iPod and:
Shine
ATARI :evil:
Budokai Tenkaichi 3

If someone knows, please, tell us!

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:15 am

Thanos6 wrote:The Akkuman What-If is up in English.

Incredibly, it makes LESS sense now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mmqwmWSkD8

(And what the hell is up with his voice?)
I am not sure, but was Akkuman alway so repetitive and stupid in the original game? Cause, 'I call it Bad End... Hahahaha.' every time he wins, 'I am the Devil of Justice, Devilman' and the hypnotizing thing is very wrong and annoying. He sounds like Zarbon with an accent and when was 'Haaaah' 'Ooooooooo'? I just hope Arale is okay.
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Shin Moonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shin Moonwalker » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:36 pm

Sorry, this is off topic, but I couldn't find a better place to post that :

After the scouter, here comes another reference.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:00 pm

Shin Moonwalker wrote:Sorry, this is off topic, but I couldn't find a better place to post that :

After the scouter, here comes another reference.
I believe Fox's Power Level is over 9000.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:03 pm

Well I can officially tell you the game (the PS2 version at least) is out in NA. I have it in my hand but haven't had a chance to put it in yet so I'll probably update with some of my thoughts later on.

Interestingly enough, I bought it at Gamestop and it came with a "Best Fights" bonus DVD. I was aware of this existing but I thought it was a separate disc that you'd only get if you pre-ordered, but it actually came right inside of the game case. So if you're interested in it, I recommend getting it at a Gamestop (or an EB games if they haven't all become Gamestops yet)

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:04 pm

It's not at the GameStops in my area yet (central SC).
Trunks & Goten forever

baragon_kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by baragon_kun » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:42 pm

gohanku wrote:
SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:Looks like somebody's found a way to Mod BT3: http://uk.youtube.com/user/magicpar This guy has 3 modded BT3 videos. Make sure to see the Vegeta one! :P
Oh man, that is so hilarious, this gay sure like to make Vegeta gay... And Nappa's attacks.... Can't breathing. Laughing too much.
Rory wrote:http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectSnowblind80

So this dude here has uploaded all the music from the American/European version.
So guys what do you think? I personally really like a lot of this music, its got more of a happy beat, (Shine for example).
Also, songs like The Meteor (reference? who knows) sound MUCH more Budokai esque than the music of Neo (All out rock).
They are all pretty good. Sound like some nice tunes to play with when I create my own what-ifs.
yep, i actually ask him to make one of Kid chichi