Episode #0102 (11 November 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0102 (11 November 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Episode #0102 (download MP3)
92:27; 64 kbps, mono; 42.3 MB

Episode #0102! VegettoEX, Meri, Julian, and Jeff dive into volume ten of the "Manga Review of Awesomeness". We're into the 22nd Tenka-ichi Budokai! New characters, new interactions, and a return to the total hotness. Interesting video game news, November's releases, Meri's Top 5, hidden AMV images, and a total debunking of supposed daizenshuu "translations" round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the fantascarino *one-hundred-two* episodes, now.

Whoa! A longer-than-usual regular episode! Awesome discussions! Discussions of awesomeness! In all seriousness, I loved to death the discussion of volume ten, as there's just so much good stuff to go around. I also got a total kick out of the e-mails this week. You'll learn a lot! For good measure, here's a direct screen-cap of the scene in question from "Enter the Dragon":

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:19 am

Volume 10 starts starts the Tenshinhan Saga already? I could've sworn it was later. Though considering how many volumes DB (as in without the Z) is, I guess that makes sense. This particular saga has always been my favorite tournament, since, as mentioned in the podcast, it's like those one shot episodes of a series that pits the main characters against their "evil versions." And with the main characters pretty well developed at this point in the manga, pitting them against "themselves" isn't entirely out of place.

Going through this volume the first time, I was completely surprised to know that Kame-Sennin was given a bit of a background, what with some kind of "eternal rivalry" with Tsuru-Sennin. I would've been fine with just that rivalry, but having it extend to be an all out Turtle vs. Crane School thing was even better.

As for the lack of some kind of bridge between the time skip, I agree that it was a bit weird, but coming from a fan who's seen the multiple filler training episodes throughout DB and DBZ... it's not like I was in severe need of it. I mean, aren't the little breaks in-between the matches good enough?

My one correction I have for this section is that Arale only helped take take Tao in the movie... not the series. Heh, you guys might've confused Jeff a little with that comment.

And yeah, I was curious about those random DDR players in the background of that AMV, too. I always thought it was just some random video file you found online. Let the record show that Dragon Ball, DDR, and a disinterested Jeff makes for an awesome AMV.

My only big problem with this episode was the little goof up right before you guys started talking about the contest for Daizenshuu 2. There's normally some kind of transition music before that, but instead, there's just a good 10 seconds or so of silence. Don't let the fact that you're now in the triple digits serve as an excuse for sloppy editing (wags finger menacingly) :wink:.

But yeah, awesome episode overall (except for that last bit) :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:24 am

DaemonCorps wrote:My only big problem with this episode was the little goof up right before you guys started talking about the contest for Daizenshuu 2. There's normally some kind of transition music before that, but instead, there's just a good 10 seconds or so of silence. Don't let the fact that you're now in the triple digits serve as an excuse for sloppy editing (wags finger menacingly) :wink:.
FUCK. Me. Hard. And stuff.

I think I've only ever made something like three dumb edits like this over the entire course of the podcast :P. One in particular was during something relating to Battle Stadium D.O.N. when I meant to play the ending theme quietly in the background while we discussed it, but instead it blares in loud for half a second and then stops :P.

Anyway... yeah... *bashes head against the wall*
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:35 am

VegettoEX wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:My only big problem with this episode was the little goof up right before you guys started talking about the contest for Daizenshuu 2. There's normally some kind of transition music before that, but instead, there's just a good 10 seconds or so of silence. Don't let the fact that you're now in the triple digits serve as an excuse for sloppy editing (wags finger menacingly) :wink:.
FUCK. Me. Hard. And stuff.

I think I've only ever made something like three dumb edits like this over the entire course of the podcast :P. One in particular was during something relating to Battle Stadium D.O.N. when I meant to play the ending theme quietly in the background while we discussed it, but instead it blares in loud for half a second and then stops :P.

Anyway... yeah... *bashes head against the wall*

lol Don't worry, 3 out of 102 episodes ain't bad. (excuse the poor meatloaf reference.) :P

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:13 am

Julian,does the Spanish remastered edition of DBZ have Dragonbox footage?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:13 am

Wow, always wondered what that picture from 'Enter The Dragon' was.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

nwoo_2002
Beyond Newbie

Post by nwoo_2002 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:06 pm

Must be honest I’m not much of a Manga person, more so because of the fact that they tend to give away future events thus ruining the Anime experience for me. Seeing how Dragon Ball ended quite some time ago however, I must say that review has made me consider purchasing this volume. This part of the series has always been a blare to me, so this review really helped.

Good Podcast guys

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:08 pm

Nice episode, I always thought a cool topic for the podcast would be about the old DBZ fansub company's and how they translated the series. Including their negative and positive qualities.

PS.Nice LOZ reference.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:35 pm

I really like the 23'rd tourament. It had so much development with characters as fighters with Yamcha and Kuririn using the Kamehameha and the introduction of the flying technique. Plus the whole rivalry thing between schools gives us some backround. Very cool stuff.

The Yamcha and Tenshinhan fight is one of my favorites. It shows how powerful Yamcha got over those 3 years training with Roshi. The "Fist of the Wolf Fang Gale version two" as it is called in Viz's translation was cool, but you'l notice that in the manga not even a wolf is shown when he is using it. It suprises me that the powered up version of the attack wasn't shown elaborately. Of course, it didn't have much effect on Ten, so maybe that had something to do with it. In the anime it definatly gets decked out, though, which is a very cool scene. This is also the final time Yamcha uses the Wolf Fang Fist.

Great episode, I like these reviews. I'll send in some "Top 5" suggestions, it's one of my favorite segments!
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Oh, I thought the silence was a joke for after you said "You've been waitin' for it!.............." to screw with people XD; I found it amusing nonetheless. This one was loooong but very well done.

Also, a few minutes ago I got to the part where Meri says "you're not Superman"...and at the exact same time the opening to Scrubs is in the middle of playing complete with "I'm not Superman!"

...yeah :D;

aegoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aegoku » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:56 am

Really well done. Coincidentally, I stumbled across those supposed "translations" a few days before listening to the podcast. Good to know about the accuracy of these.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:23 am

Ah, so you got the Movie 12 book.

Will you be scanning the extra goodies in it?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:39 am

Kirbopher wrote:Also, a few minutes ago I got to the part where Meri says "you're not Superman"...and at the exact same time the opening to Scrubs is in the middle of playing complete with "I'm not Superman!"
I believe the line is "I'm no Superman"
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:52 pm

For the record, Namco did Pac-Man. :wink:

Anyway, loving the manga reviews.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:34 pm

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:For the record, Namco did Pac-Man. :wink:
I was half-right. Midway had been the American distributer. I don't know why I couldn't remember that it was Bandai... it's... a pretty basic thing to know... >.>