Was God Ki Really Necessary?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soul Breaker

Re: Was God Ki Really Necessary?

Post by Soul Breaker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:01 am

I'm glad they didn't leave SSJ3 as the last transformation. The moment was great, but the design is all over the place. That being said, God Ki is 50/50 really. SSG was completely useless in its arc contrary to SSB. I understand its a stepping stone but the transformation should be a one and done thing for the guys to improve on. I love Ultra Instinct and the meaning behind it as it refers to a lesson which Whis has been trying to teach them since the beginning. I'll be very disappointed if UI Goku doesn't beat Jiren in more ways than one. The way I see it, transformations should go as followed...SSJ-SS2-SS3-SSB-UI.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Was God Ki Really Necessary?

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:28 pm

Short answer: no.

Long answer: it would have been much better if we got any sense of power scaling. In the beginning, Super Saiyan Blue was considered to be many times stronger than Super Saiyan 4 and Super Saiyan God. But now it feels like SSB is as strong or weak as the plot demands it to be, with the cop-out being that it's "perfect ki control" with absolutely no other hints to that effect besides something stated long ago and probably already forgotten by Toriyama.

God ki would also become much, much more interesting if they properly introduce demon ki/maki into the series. How awesome would it be if it turns out that maki and godly ki are mostly juxtaposed to each other to the point of one being like Kryptonite to the other, and Goku and Vegeta can't become "Super Saiyan Demon" because they've already accepted godly ki, meaning that some other characters would have to corrupt their souls to control such a force. It would allow a proper segue into the Demon arc we're seeing in Xenoverse/Online/Heroes as well as introduce us to the Makaioshin and Demon Realm in general. It would also up the stakes because it would allow for battles that can't be won with brute strength.

Then again, that's probably why we won't see it— the easiest/laziest way out is for a character's weakness to literally be that they're weaker than their opponent. Something as dangerous as Goku and Vegeta not being able to train to overcome a threat but instead having to think critically about how to approach something? It would probably scare the writers too much or get shot down as "Not Toriyama" as if the man was just some aggressively bad storyteller rather than just someone uninterested in telling a more compelling story in lieu of something simple and fun.

Sad thing is, it's not even a complex idea. It's literally just building off the concept of yin and yang. But I don't expect it to happen. I really don't expect the "hiatus" to be a "hiatus", if you know what I'm saying, so whatever chance we'll have to see these ideas toyed with will probably come from future movies and games.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.