"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by TheMikado » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:23 am

I feel like this interview was released as a response to criticisms.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:35 am

TheMikado wrote:I feel like this interview was released as a response to criticisms.
Why do you think that?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:52 am

Kenneth La Torre wrote:Super will end. There will be the movie. And at least in 2 years or so, they’ll continue it in a new anime. Mostlikely not going to be called super
And in the meantime, the Super manga continues without changing its name, so when the anime starts up again, its new name is Dragon Ball SuperZ... :shock: ?
It may sound stupid, but right now I wouldn't rule it out.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Boku no Hitto

Post by Boku no Hitto » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:14 am

Is it strange that i think that Toei's mini filler arcs have been a hell of a lot better story and content wise than most of super(and the latter half of z if i'm to be perfectly honest). The hit vs goku fight that introduced a lot of Hit's powers, goku being depowered after the kaioken but because the black arc was coming up he had to return to the status quo; Most of the recruitment arc and even the early filler. It just has a charm that a lot of Toei's writers get to show when they aren't being restricted by Toriyama's outlines.

I wonder what an entire arc spearheaded by Toei's best writers in king ryu and toshio and the person who wrote the recent episode, (his name escapes me) would be?

I feel like there's a lot of talent that need's time and less restrictions from Toriyama's vague as hell outlines.

People want Toyo but honestly? I don't think he's that good. Something about the way he draw's and his writing style(which could be translation errors) bug's me. Beerus always seems like he's shouting, Goku's a prick, i hate his use of anatomy, and he's just... Bland. Nothing about him jump's out at me.

I hate the Cell arc but goddamn does Toriyama's art not pop?! He had a way of drawing his characters to where they feel real. The feel weighted and expressive. And Cell if nothings else is just a treat. Toyo does not have nor does he do that.

He shows glimpses of it(the clash of mssjb goku and merged Zamasu, his obsession with Jirens muscles, aaaand the champa and beerus fight was cool) but... He's everything wrong with the boo and cell arc's art style and writing with none of it's charm.

And i hate the way he draws Beerus.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:49 am

Agree with you, Boku no Hitto. Toyotaro is decent enough when it comes to power cohesion but the flaws with him lie in the fairly generic style of his art. Sure, it's more or less a standard Toriyama method but it doesn't seem all too striking. I personally have a difficult time taking a good bit of it seriously thanks to the smarmy way in which he portrays the characters. Honestly, the next time a character, most especially a villain, starts to scream pettily because the situation isn't going completely their way with a big ol' comically exaggerated throbbing vein in their temple, I hope their opposite number makes a gash at that vein and their vocal cords to remove them. I've also been wondering if the osteal structuring of their eye sockets is really inordinately curved. If the grumbler is still at it then maybe the opposite number could do a little osteological inspection to see whether the bone needs to be roundedly shaved into a proper humanoid design or not.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:22 am

Cetra wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Gotta agree. The whole production situation is a lot less "this party and this party doing this thing and this thing, respectively", and more of an actual collaboration.

Dragon Ball as a whole is a collaborative effort between a multitude of different people of different backgrounds.
If anything it confirms even more Toei are not those "Toriyama slaves that only do what he wants" but are equally influencing him and doing their own stuff that has value as well.
And they very well should listen to Toriyama to the degree they are. When they don't, we get stuff like a Piccolo that loses his halo when he gets condemned to hell or a Dende that forgets he can heal people.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:05 am

Boku no Hitto wrote:Is it strange that i think that Toei's mini filler arcs have been a hell of a lot better story and content wise than most of super(and the latter half of z if i'm to be perfectly honest). The hit vs goku fight that introduced a lot of Hit's powers, goku being depowered after the kaioken but because the black arc was coming up he had to return to the status quo; Most of the recruitment arc and even the early filler. It just has a charm that a lot of Toei's writers get to show when they aren't being restricted by Toriyama's outlines.

I wonder what an entire arc spearheaded by Toei's best writers in king ryu and toshio and the person who wrote the recent episode, (his name escapes me) would be?

I feel like there's a lot of talent that need's time and less restrictions from Toriyama's vague as hell outlines.

People want Toyo but honestly? I don't think he's that good. Something about the way he draw's and his writing style(which could be translation errors) bug's me. Beerus always seems like he's shouting, Goku's a prick, i hate his use of anatomy, and he's just... Bland. Nothing about him jump's out at me.

I hate the Cell arc but goddamn does Toriyama's art not pop?! He had a way of drawing his characters to where they feel real. The feel weighted and expressive. And Cell if nothings else is just a treat. Toyo does not have nor does he do that.

He shows glimpses of it(the clash of mssjb goku and merged Zamasu, his obsession with Jirens muscles, aaaand the champa and beerus fight was cool) but... He's everything wrong with the boo and cell arc's art style and writing with none of it's charm.

And i hate the way he draws Beerus.
Better writing is extremely wrong term here if you ask me.Life of slice and actual plot are way different though I will admit they are pretty good at that.

There is a lot of wrong with recruitment arc.

Starting with fact,gohan is the one that suggests to hide the truth.The same gohan who has been in life and death situations with these people.

Goku doubts krillin which is quite out of character for goku(hint 21 world tournament) and krillin regains his confidence for 3rd time in a row.Also,they potray goku as some sort of villain only for it to drop half way through.

The tenshinhan and poacher episodes were terrible.The way yamcha was treated was ridicolous.

Roshi getting over his pervertedness is not character development.His pervertedness was always played as a gag,old perverted man doing dirty things,nothing more nothing less.They blew roshi's gag out of proportion and then fixed it as character development.

Freeza did not get any development.He was potrayed as someone who got over his delusional arrogance and was playing the long game.Then,we see the same freeza being delusional against toppo and losing his shit over someone being more powerful than him.
Lionel wrote:Agree with you, Boku no Hitto. Toyotaro is decent enough when it comes to power cohesion but the flaws with him lie in the fairly generic style of his art. Sure, it's more or less a standard Toriyama method but it doesn't seem all too striking. I personally have a difficult time taking a good bit of it seriously thanks to the smarmy way in which he portrays the characters. Honestly, the next time a character, most especially a villain, starts to scream pettily because the situation isn't going completely their way with a big ol' comically exaggerated throbbing vein in their temple, I hope their opposite number makes a gash at that vein and their vocal cords to remove them. I've also been wondering if the osteal structuring of their eye sockets is really inordinately curved. If the grumbler is still at it then maybe the opposite number could do a little osteological inspection to see whether the bone needs to be roundedly shaved into a proper humanoid design or not.
Tbh,I don't have that much grasp on art,but his recent art has been an improvement.It looks better to me at least.

A lot of people,don't take into account that manga did not become it's own thing till black arc.But,toyotaro has been showing a lot of improvement.He writes characters outside of final antagonists better even in black arc.Take pilaf gang and shin.In top,he isn't playing it too safe and toppo had a decent showing so I think that this arc will at least be better than his previous arc
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:27 am

Lionel wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Lionel wrote:Maybe the producers ought to advise Toriyama to take some tyrosine supplements. Doing so would enhance the dopamine chemical in his mind which is known for helping to determine concentration, eagerness, memory retention, along with a whole host of other neurochemical functions. If he's normally so consistently inadequate and lethargic then this could potentially help him.
How did you get lethargic from this interview?
Interview? I was thinking about Toriyama's attitude in general. He seems to get a lot of flack for not giving a full committed performance so prescribing something that would help his euphoria for being involved in Dragon Ball sounded like a good idea, in my opinion.
Being lazy had nothing to do with being lethargic, especially with Toriyama who is self-described lazy and has been for decades.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:34 am

I wish the arc had focused more on the character's fear of the force of nature that Jiren was so that he could remain less of a character and more of something unknown for the characters and audience to fear.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:41 am

Saturnine wrote:
Cetra wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Gotta agree. The whole production situation is a lot less "this party and this party doing this thing and this thing, respectively", and more of an actual collaboration.

Dragon Ball as a whole is a collaborative effort between a multitude of different people of different backgrounds.
If anything it confirms even more Toei are not those "Toriyama slaves that only do what he wants" but are equally influencing him and doing their own stuff that has value as well.

And they very well should listen to Toriyama to the degree they are. When they don't, we get stuff like a Piccolo that loses his halo when he gets condemned to hell or a Dende that forgets he can heal people.
I see you’re quoting dubs..

At least we aren’t getting switched personalities or Broly inspired characters... oops...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:51 am

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Someone needs to have the balls to tell Toriyama, "No. This sounds stupid." Or, "We need more than that to work with."
Toei are being just as lazy and uncreative. This is why I think DB needs new blood working on it if it's going to continue. It needs people willing to push each other to get the best ideas possible, not this whole "Toriyama's word is worshiped", "Broly's popular so we need someone like him" and "I'm going to give very vague outlines yet still be the head writer" that's going on during their meetings. If these people, including Toriyama aren't willing to turn down each others' stupid ways of writing and push this franchise forward then they need to go and some major changes within the staff needs to take place.
Toei aren't being lazy or uncreative at all. Hell, it's the opposite considering what they have to work with. And it's the same deal with Toyotaro. Yes, some decisions are driven by marketing (Kale) or made to provide short-term appeasement for certain fans (Vegetto and SSJG Vegeta), but for the most part, everyone involved in Super creatively beyond Toriyama have been busting their ass trying to do their best in handling a long-running series (in both mediums) that was arbitrarily decided with little to no planning. Have there been some episodes or creative decisions I haven't like in the anime? Yes. Have there been some choices made in the narrative of the manga I haven't liked? Absolutely. But for the most part, Super has been, at the very least, an enjoyable, if ultimately disposable, shonen action series for millions of people around the world that has been extremely profitable and aided in spreading the Dragon Ball brand on much grander scale for more people to get into the franchise and also enjoy Dragon Ball content. And that's all Toriyama, Toei and Toyotaro really care about.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:15 am

Saturnine wrote:
When they listen to him they might get a head-blown off Cell plothole that can only be explained by made-up fan explanations so I hope you are not serious with your insignificant plotholes.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:21 am

Lord Beerus wrote:For the most part, Super has been, at the very least, an enjoyable, if ultimately disposable, shonen action series for millions of people around the world.

Super has been extremely profitable and aided in spreading the Dragon Ball brand And that's all Toriyama, Toei and Toyotaro really care about.
This is true as none of us would've kept up with it for this long had it not been enjoyable.

This is the problem. The original manga was a game changer for the industry but Instead of trying to recreate what it did and push Super to the top of the pack, everyone's goals seem to be limited to easy $$$, not being an industry leader like the old days. Instead of being a product that stands the test of time and inspires new classics like the original manga, it's just going to be another anime that's forgotten after the credits role on its last episode. As someone who considers the original manga his favorite, as someone who got into the industry through it and as someone who's wanted Toriyama to come back for years, I expected A LOT more out of him and Super but they both didn't deliver.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:46 pm

No new episode today?

Alruneia wrote:And in the meantime, the Super manga continues without changing its name, so when the anime starts up again, its new name is Dragon Ball SuperZ... :shock: ?
It may sound stupid, but right now I wouldn't rule it out.
I think Ultra would be just fine.
JulieYBM wrote:I wish the arc had focused more on the character's fear of the force of nature that Jiren was so that he could remain less of a character and more of something unknown for the characters and audience to fear.
You're expecting way too much from a children anime.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:50 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:No new episode today?
I think we're on another break, and then the last two episodes have no breaks in between.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Gohan123
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gohan123 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:51 pm

majinwarman wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: Agree with you,but he still needs an editor not from toei maybe someone from shueisha.
No offense, but I think fans put way too much stack in 'everything would be better with an editor'. Then again, editors made the Cell Saga happened and I think the Cell Saga is the weakest saga in all of Dragon Ball outside of GT. And Toriyama not listening to editors is the reason why we got adult Goku. If it was up to editor, Goku would be Ash.
I remember reading about his editor didn't want Goku to become an adult at all. But, I could be wrong so please forgive me if I am. But, the information is right though then Goku would be the Ash of anime before Ash even existed.
At least Ash have better Win / Lose ratio than Goku

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:56 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I wish the arc had focused more on the character's fear of the force of nature that Jiren was so that he could remain less of a character and more of something unknown for the characters and audience to fear.
I never understand this excuse for why DBS can't do things like that. Correct me I'm wrong but, isn't Shounen demographic targeted to children particularly boys? If so, that certainly doesn't stop franchises like Naruto and MHA from tackling similar topics.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:57 pm

Gohan123 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
HeroR wrote:
No offense, but I think fans put way too much stack in 'everything would be better with an editor'. Then again, editors made the Cell Saga happened and I think the Cell Saga is the weakest saga in all of Dragon Ball outside of GT. And Toriyama not listening to editors is the reason why we got adult Goku. If it was up to editor, Goku would be Ash.
I remember reading about his editor didn't want Goku to become an adult at all. But, I could be wrong so please forgive me if I am. But, the information is right though then Goku would be the Ash of anime before Ash even existed.
At least Ash have better Win / Lose ratio than Goku
Ash also have to win 8 badges just to get into the league.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Helios518 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
I never understand this excuse for why DBS can't do things like that. Correct me I'm wrong but, isn't Shounen demographic targeted to children particularly boys? If so, that certainly doesn't stop franchises like Naruto and MHA from tackling similar topics.
Dragon Ball did the force of nature to be feared several times from King Piccolo, Freeza, and then Buu. Not sure why we have to used that playbook again.
Kanassa wrote:

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:10 pm

HeroR wrote:
Helios518 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Dragon Ball did the force of nature to be feared several times from King Piccolo, Freeza, and then Buu. Not sure why we have to used that playbook again.
I know, I was referring to the "fear of the unknown" with Geran that Jacob seemed to be alluding to.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"