"Goku and his friends can change something"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

"Goku and his friends can change something"

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm

What do you think Whis meant when, talking to Vados, he said: "Perhaps Zeno has expectations that Goku and his friends can change something. That mortals can change"

Did he imply some deeper meaning, or was he just saying that Zeno expects mortals to change thanks to Goku's influence? This would mean that Zeno and the Angels don't a have high consideration of the mortals, like Zamasu did, but they still hold on to the faith they will change their ways.

So how do you guys interpret this line?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Goku and his friends can change something"

Post by MrBlackFox » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:10 pm

Maybe Zen'os know Goku and his friends always fight to death to restore peace and do good things, and they hope other mortals take them as an example
This just happened to Jiren and Toppo partly

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:43 pm

Change what? Goku and co were motivated chiefly by their own survival. Some of the characters may have harboured some personal intent like Vegeta desiring to revive Universe 6 and #17 aspiring to go on a cruise with his family, but none of that superseded their willingness to sacrifice other universes for their sake. Nothing about the other universes' societal firmness or their ability to negotiate in order to elevate their mortal ranking was implied to be changed from some every-man-for-himself competition with ten meatheads representing the entirety of their universe. #17 just happened to luck out with Zeno being eager to forget about his own criticisms over the oversaturation of universes and their lack of sufficient ningen evolution. Demonstrating selflessness under these circumstances doesn't make sense -- the majority of universal fighters weren't phased at all by Goku. They fought, they lost, and then they were erased.

Oracle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oracle » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:10 pm

That the eight universes that participated in the tournament can improve and eventually get a better "mortal level".

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:31 am

Zamasu thought that mortals never changed, that they would never aknowledge their mistakes and try to build a better world upon them (and he had very valid reasons behind this view, having witnessed to many examples). Zen-Oh and the Grand Priest, instead, believe that mortals can indeed change and improve and build a better world upon their mistakes. The King of All and the Grand Priest are making the same mistake of Zamasu though -- generalisation, because not all mortals can improve for the better (cough coughFrieza, Frost cough cough).

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:06 am

MrBlackFox wrote:Maybe Zen'os know Goku and his friends always fight to death to restore peace and do good things, and they hope other mortals take them as an example
Ummmm actually Jiren and Topo had been doing the thing you described right from the start, I'd even go out on a limb and say more so than the U7 guys.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:20 am

I think it's as simple as Goku and friends can inspire others to be better people, that's all. Adding to their "mortal level", whatever that is.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:31 am

Well, the entire tournament was just an elaborate way to test if the other lower-mortal level universes were really worth keeping around, it was to see if they really did have the potential to improve themselves in not only raw power, but also in terms of character.

Goku and Co have really incited these kind of changes in characters from other universes since well the universe 6 arc, where Vegeta helped Cabba improve himself and helped him unlock Super Saiyan, and Goku broke the cold shell around Hit and made him not only physically stronger, but also provided a deeper meaning to his continued existence than just doing his job. He showed Hit that he could enjoy himself.

These idea's of self-improvement are carried into the tournament as well. In terms of raw power, you had Aniraza, the universe 6 Nameks, the universe 2 magical boys, everythings the Saiyans did, but more importantly, many of the fighters developed as people, and a lot it was down to universe 7's involvement.

Hit completed a character arc around trusting others(not completely, relevant but its still an improvement from the tournament), Caulifla and Kale strengthened their bond through their fight with Goku, Cabba reached new hieghts as a warrior and a person through the help of Vegeta, Ribrianne began to appreciate different types of love through her conflict with 18, Toppo learned to toss everything aside in order to survive after being cornered by 17 and Freeza, Jiren learned to trust others and form bonds with others. Hell, I would even say Universes 7's development by people within universe 7 is pretty substantive of them improving. For example, Freeza, while still evil, has changed in the sense he now has a certain respect for Goku, instead of blind hatred. 17 had grown softer and more human throughout the tournament, even to the point of giving up on his original reason for being their. 18 learned to appreciate her husband. Goku achieved UI in a very flame and the void esque fashion. Vegeta grew past wanting everything Goku had and decided to follow his own path, along the way embracing everything that makes him. Piccolo learned humility and strengthened his resolve after being initially overwhelmed by the universe 6 Nameks. Gohan learned to be a real goddamn warrior. Roshi bowed out gracefully for his final battle. Kuririn had a decent character arc around being useful. Tien... got nothing really.

These small scale character arcs are evident in pretty much every aspect of the tournament and I think it more than demonstrates the change that the Zeno's were counting on Goku and co on bringing.
mute_proxy wrote:I think it's as simple as Goku and friends can inspire others to be better people, that's all. Adding to their "mortal level", whatever that is.
Basically this.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:37 am

Saturnine wrote:
MrBlackFox wrote:Maybe Zen'os know Goku and his friends always fight to death to restore peace and do good things, and they hope other mortals take them as an example
Ummmm actually Jiren and Topo had been doing the thing you described right from the start, I'd even go out on a limb and say more so than the U7 guys.
Toppo yes mostly, but Jiren just had proof that have trust in your mates can lead you to victory

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:12 am

JazzMazz wrote:Well, the entire tournament was just an elaborate way to test if the other lower-mortal level universes were really worth keeping around, it was to see if they really did have the potential to improve themselves in not only raw power, but also in terms of character.

Goku and Co have really incited these kind of changes in characters from other universes since well the universe 6 arc, where Vegeta helped Cabba improve himself and helped him unlock Super Saiyan, and Goku broke the cold shell around Hit and made him not only physically stronger, but also provided a deeper meaning to his continued existence than just doing his job. He showed Hit that he could enjoy himself.

These idea's of self-improvement are carried into the tournament as well. In terms of raw power, you had Aniraza, the universe 6 Nameks, the universe 2 magical boys, everythings the Saiyans did, but more importantly, many of the fighters developed as people, and a lot it was down to universe 7's involvement.

Hit completed a character arc around trusting others(not completely, relevant but its still an improvement from the tournament), Caulifla and Kale strengthened their bond through their fight with Goku, Cabba reached new hieghts as a warrior and a person through the help of Vegeta, Ribrianne began to appreciate different types of love through her conflict with 18, Toppo learned to toss everything aside in order to survive after being cornered by 17 and Freeza, Jiren learned to trust others and form bonds with others. Hell, I would even say Universes 7's development by people within universe 7 is pretty substantive of them improving. For example, Freeza, while still evil, has changed in the sense he now has a certain respect for Goku, instead of blind hatred. 17 had grown softer and more human throughout the tournament, even to the point of giving up on his original reason for being their. 18 learned to appreciate her husband. Goku achieved UI in a very flame and the void esque fashion. Vegeta grew past wanting everything Goku had and decided to follow his own path, along the way embracing everything that makes him. Piccolo learned humility and strengthened his resolve after being initially overwhelmed by the universe 6 Nameks. Gohan learned to be a real goddamn warrior. Roshi bowed out gracefully for his final battle. Kuririn had a decent character arc around being useful. Tien... got nothing really.

These small scale character arcs are evident in pretty much every aspect of the tournament and I think it more than demonstrates the change that the Zeno's were counting on Goku and co on bringing.
mute_proxy wrote:I think it's as simple as Goku and friends can inspire others to be better people, that's all. Adding to their "mortal level", whatever that is.
Basically this.
We also saw Cabba make friends with Caulifla and Kale, forming a group of three amigos where previously Cabba didn't get along with Caulifla and Kale really despised him. It's really a shame they didn't tie Tien's tournament experience into his growth and development as the master of the Tenshin-style Dojo. That was a nice direction for him.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:57 pm

I don't know what they're going to change. The multiverse is far too big to be really inspirational that way IMO.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.