"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Raphael_Z wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:It might be too early to say, but is it weird that I kind of think the manga version of the ToP is having the opposite problem that the arc in the anime had? The problem with the ToP in the anime was that it ended up dragging on for too long that it began to feel tedious. The manga, on the other hand, has so far been breezing through the eliminations, to the point where some of the fighters have already been eliminated offscreen. I don’t know if I’d really consider that to be a good thing, even if it means that the arc will most likely end up feeling like less of a chore to get through when compared to its anime counterpart.

I like that as long as he spends full chapters on the really big fights, ex. Goku vs kefla, goku vs jiren, vegeta vs toppo. I hated having to watch episodes around goku fighting weaklings or even the trio de baldies in the anime among many others.
Other than Goku vs Jiren, there is 0 guarantee that those other fights will happen. For all we know, Vegeta is the one to take down Kefla and UGohan, Frieza and A17 will handle Toppo.

Remember that Kale, Kefla, SSBE Vegeta and G.o.D Toppo were Anime inventions and weren't created by Toriyama.
Kale was suggested by Toei but she's in the manga so not sure what you are talking about. She is canon

SSBE and GoD transformation don't have to happen in order for vegeta and toppo to fight.

Kefla will probably show up, the kai doesn't have earings iirc at the start of the tournament

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:36 pm

TKA wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:I know Jiren is the main antagonist and all but I just didn't really care for his fight with Goku in the anime, due mostly to how dragged out their fight was in the final act. So I doubt I'll care much for the fight in this version and I hope that it doesn't get as much focus here as it did in the anime.
Okay, first of all, what Jiren vs Goku needs is MORE focus. Let's just make that clear.

The problem with the anime is it was drawn out in pieces over so many episodes, over the course of 1 year that it became fucking boring. Also, the focus was always on how Jiren's power is maximum, rather than focusing on his character or his relationship to Goku. The manga has already started being different, so there's little to worry about.
That's pretty much my whole issue with how they handled Jiren as well and why I was so negative towards him for most of the tournament in the anime. If the manga focuses more on that aspect of Jiren throughout the tournament and his fight with Goku, unlike the anime which decided to show that stuff at the very end of the damn tournament, then I'll be okay with their fight getting more focus here. Also apologizes for the late reply.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:42 pm

One other thing I’ll say about the manga version of the tournament is that I like how U11 hasn’t lost any of its fighters yet. The anime was in too big of a hurry to get everyone who wasn’t in the top three out of the way as quickly as possible, which kind of made it difficult to take the idea that they were the top dogs of the tournament seriously.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:11 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:
Exline wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:I have a feeling Hit is gonna get absolutely humiliated by Jiren, he won't even trap Hit in the time cage imo.
He claimed he was getting stronger. I'm hopeful he'll do surprisingly well in the manga version of the fight, rather then getting bodied like in the anime.
I mean he was about equal to ssg goku if not a bit stronger last time so even if he improved, i could see him being about on par with ssb goku which isn't gonna work and toyo unlike the anime has one sided fights, he doesn't care about making someone look good for example piccolo vs frost or vegito vs m zamasu both which were much more one sided in the manga
What about Goku MSSB vs. Merged Zamasu? Or Trunks vs. Dabura? But I agree, thinking about it now, most of the fights have felt one-sided.
WittyUsername wrote:One other thing I’ll say about the manga version of the tournament is that I like how U11 hasn’t lost any of its fighters yet. The anime was in too big of a hurry to get everyone who wasn’t in the top three out of the way as quickly as possible, which kind of made it difficult to take the idea that they were the top dogs of the tournament seriously.
I mean they didn't look like they were doing so well in Chapter 33 against Super Saiyan Goku. However that could change. I actually want Toppo to be more mindful of his team and actually defend them unlike in the anime. I never understood why an established team that works cooperatively were the easiest to get rid of.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:24 pm

I re read chapter 33 of the manga, and i have to say that i really like how jiren seems like an ordinary opponent, even while he is fighting. You dont get the feeling that he is this immesurable powerhouse beyond the powers of a god of destruction. A nice way to decieve readers into thinking he isnt all that strong, until he is shown blinking a Completed ssb away effortlessly.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:28 pm

If it wasnt for the fact that toppo outright stated in chapter 29 that he is in fact above a god of destruction.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:37 pm

So,toyotaro is appearing in Special research police JUMPolice.If someone could tell if there was a interiew or some stuff.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:47 am

Hawk9211 wrote:So,toyotaro is appearing in Special research police JUMPolice.If someone could tell if there was a interiew or some stuff.
Apperantly its how to draw goku... i dont know if theres more, but thats what herms has tweeted so far.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:11 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjgYXy1qiMk
This was uploaded Nov 10, 2017. But looks like it's the same thing :roll:

Appearently Marcarita was supposed to be Belmoud's lover. Sorry if this is old news.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:16 pm

OverHeaven wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjgYXy1qiMk

Appearently Marcarita was supposed to be Belmoud's lover. Sorry if this is old news.
Yeah that was a nice interview with gold details , yesterday he just draw Goku and looks like next week he’ll draw vegeta
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:08 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I too also enjoyed that Kale moment! I don't think that Kale is going to fight Goku using Blue at all. I think if they do fight, Goku will mostly likely use SSG.
I am curious about how Kale's personality will be worked into the manga, so far so good with making her more of a character who is a stoic watchdog and servant to Caulifla but apathetic to everyone else around her as opposed to being just insecure (with no backstory basis). It being under Caulifla's own nose makes a lot of room for development if their relationship wasn't already established from the start like it is in the anime, but progressively as things get in between them in order to get Kale angry. What will trigger her Berserk transformation? I don't like the scenario of Goku just "training" Caulifla and yelling at her to leave, because its a battle royal, she is supposed to gang up on whomever she wants. That was just another dumb thing from the anime.
I kinda enjoyed Goku teaching Caulifla because Vegeta did the same for Cabba.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:50 pm

majinwarman wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I too also enjoyed that Kale moment! I don't think that Kale is going to fight Goku using Blue at all. I think if they do fight, Goku will mostly likely use SSG.
I am curious about how Kale's personality will be worked into the manga, so far so good with making her more of a character who is a stoic watchdog and servant to Caulifla but apathetic to everyone else around her as opposed to being just insecure (with no backstory basis). It being under Caulifla's own nose makes a lot of room for development if their relationship wasn't already established from the start like it is in the anime, but progressively as things get in between them in order to get Kale angry. What will trigger her Berserk transformation? I don't like the scenario of Goku just "training" Caulifla and yelling at her to leave, because its a battle royal, she is supposed to gang up on whomever she wants. That was just another dumb thing from the anime.
I hope that training scenario won’t happen here , if that happen at least somebody else attack them from the back ,because is not serious in a survival battle that chit chat and the world around stoped and watch
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:07 pm

OverHeaven wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjgYXy1qiMk

I wonder if someone is kind enough to translate?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:40 pm

prince212 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: I am curious about how Kale's personality will be worked into the manga, so far so good with making her more of a character who is a stoic watchdog and servant to Caulifla but apathetic to everyone else around her as opposed to being just insecure (with no backstory basis). It being under Caulifla's own nose makes a lot of room for development if their relationship wasn't already established from the start like it is in the anime, but progressively as things get in between them in order to get Kale angry. What will trigger her Berserk transformation? I don't like the scenario of Goku just "training" Caulifla and yelling at her to leave, because its a battle royal, she is supposed to gang up on whomever she wants. That was just another dumb thing from the anime.
I hope that training scenario won’t happen here , if that happen at least somebody else attack them from the back ,because is not serious in a survival battle that chit chat and the world around stoped and watch
Writing a good story is all about balance. It wouldn't be enjoyable if every interesting character got knocked off immediately in the confusion, but it wouldn't be good if the tournament of power dragged on because it showed each and every character and their whereabouts. There should be some character moments in the arc, it doesn't always have to be intense and urgent.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:13 pm

Bergamo wrote:
prince212 wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I kinda enjoyed Goku teaching Caulifla because Vegeta did the same for Cabba.
Writing a good story is all about balance. It wouldn't be enjoyable if every interesting character got knocked off immediately in the confusion, but it wouldn't be good if the tournament of power dragged on because it showed each and every character and their whereabouts. There should be some character moments in the arc, it doesn't always have to be intense and urgent.
Finally, somebody who speaks my language haha.

However I'm gonna have to agree with prince212 about Goku training Caulifla. It's a pretty awkward character moment in the anime. I'd rather Caulifla get her ass handed to her for being so cocky and then it pushes her to SSJ2 and becomes more of a challenge for Goku, making him interested in fighting her.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Goku training an opponent in a tournament about survival is dumb as hell. Atleast in Vegeta case, the tournament didn’t risk their lives.

Goku helping hit but not helping Roshi twice in the anime

Goku letting Caulifla and kale escape in 101

Goku training Caulifla

These were both dumb as hell and Goku saving Roshi from frost gives me hope that Toyo will skip all that crap.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:17 pm

Bergamo wrote:
prince212 wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I kinda enjoyed Goku teaching Caulifla because Vegeta did the same for Cabba.
Yes, but not all characters are there to be equally relevant. The problem with the TOP is that it didn't really establish who is and who isn't actually important, but we can only guess by those whom are featured the most. It clearly was the Trio-De-Dangers, Ribrianne, Universe 6 & 7, and U9. Everyone else was just there to be fodder just like in all the other Tournament arcs. Though DB did a bit more but not just straight up treating the characters like fodder, the ones that were the focus were the ones kept around the most. I think balance is important but Super's issue is that it doesn't even give balance to even the most featured characters, as for whatever reason it just gave Goku & 17 the most importance with no real story correlation. The TOP probably could have been better set up if they at least established who are the good guys, who are the antagonists and who are the neutrals to give story positions between the relevant universes. Though it was clear universes like U10 that didn't even prepare logically for the TOP were not made to be focused on.

ToshioWrites wrote:Goku training an opponent in a tournament about survival is dumb as hell. Atleast in Vegeta case, the tournament didn’t risk their lives.

Goku helping hit but not helping Roshi twice in the anime

Goku letting Caulifla and kale escape in 101

Goku training Caulifla

These were both dumb as hell and Goku saving Roshi from frost gives me hope that Toyo will skip all that crap.
So far the manga does over what I hated the anime did with Goku. He is taking this as seriously as necessary in combat purely and only glancing at Jiren but still seeing everyone else as an immediate threat. That is how Goku was in the early movies and that is what makes sense in a royale. Goku just picking 1 character to fight over everyone else from day one, and him wanting to train a girl he literally just met at the tournament to show her how to beat him theoretically was just bad. Everyone should be your enemy in this arc.

What may not happen but something I wish I could appoint to consider are interactions with Freeza and the U6 Saiyans. Just to see him bully them seems like what you would expect from both contrasting characters, that they never met an evil like Freeza before who hates Saiyans. That would be reasonable tension to push Kale & Cabba into desperation to fight in ways we want to see them struggle. Not have Cabba just be the throw away so Kefla (Gotenks 2.0) can take over. I don't want this event.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 pm

Exline wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
prince212 wrote: I hope that training scenario won’t happen here , if that happen at least somebody else attack them from the back ,because is not serious in a survival battle that chit chat and the world around stoped and watch

However I'm gonna have to agree with prince212 about Goku training Caulifla. It's a pretty awkward character moment in the anime. I'd rather Caulifla get her ass handed to her for being so cocky and then it pushes her to SSJ2 and becomes more of a challenge for Goku, making him interested in fighting her.
I personally thought that the Goku and Caulifla fight in the anime was perfect as it is, but I can understand why someone wouldn't like it. It reminded me of the fights in Dragonball where Master Roshi would mentor his opponent while he was battling them.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Exline wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Writing a good story is all about balance. It wouldn't be enjoyable if every interesting character got knocked off immediately in the confusion, but it wouldn't be good if the tournament of power dragged on because it showed each and every character and their whereabouts. There should be some character moments in the arc, it doesn't always have to be intense and urgent.

I personally thought that the Goku and Caulifla fight in the anime was perfect as it is, but I can understand why someone wouldn't like it. It reminded me of the fights in Dragonball where Master Roshi would mentor his opponent while he was battling them.
It just doesn't seem appropriate doing that and out of place for the setting's demand. It forces the frustration in asking why are they not trying to ring each other out??? If that was a needed plot-point, then she should have just been in a fight and watch Goku from afar glance or something to try and copy him. Something like that in the high speed setting ould have fit better, like when Vegeta tried to copy UI Goku on the spot, not stop and ask Goku to break it down for him. Or, Goku can just curbstomp through Caulifla and then force her to realize her cockiness made her ignorant. Breaking the ace in her would be needed to counteract the "sheer potential" in someone like her, rather than rewarding it. That would probably fix her character to a lot of people. The same way Beerus humbled Goku in the BOG movie when Goku got full of himself with SS3 and was dumbfounded by god tiers.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:35 pm

One of the things I am curious about is Belmont, while in the anime he just provides more of the voice for Jiren as ordering him to take out Goku and provide his back story, the manga makes it feel like he is plotting something. The have panels upclose to him smiling like he has an overall plan or things are going his way.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy