Episode #0106 (09 November 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:22 am

After listening to Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, and Seth Green in a Season 4 Buffy episode commentary recently; I wholeheartedly agree with Mike and Captain Awesome. When it comes to DVD commentaries, these are really supposed to be informative thorough tracks; though keeping it light and fun is always a plus (the gang on Buffy cracked me up), don't go overdoing it with completely random and ridiculous nonsense. As Mike pointed out, this is supposed to be a DVD commentary, but Huber and Cason could've just as well recorded this as a podcast for FUNi's dragonballz.com website. Keep in mind, I do get a couple laughs out of this commentary and find it as a nifty extra, but comparing it to counterpart-material from other certain releases...it just doesn't hold a candle. Yuyu Hakusho, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Kodocha even have much better; and guess which company dubs them.

*Cough!*
14 years later

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:34 pm

Yeah, the Yu Yu Hakusho final eps commentary was cool. Though I admit makes me wonder how the guys who heard them mention John Burgmeier's mom realize the link to their characters on DB/DBZ.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:34 pm

So BTW, I've always thought one of the most shocking plot twists was the discovery of the second time machine and Cell. I mean, he just pops up out of nowhere. I can see why most "top ten" or "top five" lists would overlook it, but I just thought it deserved a mention.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:16 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:So BTW, I've always thought one of the most shocking plot twists was the discovery of the second time machine and Cell. I mean, he just pops up out of nowhere. I can see why most "top ten" or "top five" lists would overlook it, but I just thought it deserved a mention.
That's really a great point. I guess Meri's "Trunks' Timeline" thing covers that without getting specific with it. There being two Cells in the one timeline was pretty awesome (baby and other timeline's), etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:14 pm

Really enjoyed that railroad crossing story. I don't think I could have brought myself to mark the answer wrong. :lol:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:19 pm

It's odd: you mention in this episode owning the Collectible Card Game Game Boy game (game game game baked beans game), but not even remembering how or when you got it. Today I was re-listening to episode 43 of the podcost (I tend to listen to old podcast episodes when grinding in RPGs), and in it you mention getting that game off of E-Bay for three dollars along with some other cheap junk. Coincidences are fun.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:28 pm

Herms wrote:It's odd: you mention in this episode owning the Collectible Card Game Game Boy game (game game game baked beans game), but not even remembering how or when you got it. Today I was re-listening to episode 43 of the podcost (I tend to listen to old podcast episodes when grinding in RPGs), and in it you mention getting that game off of E-Bay for three dollars along with some other cheap junk. Coincidences are fun.
No, I say right in there that I got it on eBay for cheap. Meri and I are slightly talking over each other, though.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dakstarlander

Post by dakstarlander » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:17 am

Sorry I am late for my response as it is Final's week for me and that means lots of grading.

Anyways, I totally agree with the game review. It is an ok game to play, but could definetly use improvement in some areas to make it differentiate from the other two games in the Tenkaichi series. I think adding characters is a cool feature, however it does not account for some of the lacking music tracks or the similar moves between each fighter. Even in the Street Fighter Turbo series of games, we gamers are treated to some radical changes in the music, the graphics, and sometimes moves. I know the story is limited here to what Toriyama wrote, but they could have done more "what if's" or perhaps given the fighters one or two new moves which fit their image (like with what the Bleach and Naruto games did where characters had moves not found in the manga or tv series - we even see characters who have never fought before entering the ring with a full set of moves). I would give this a C+ (or average review) just because it does nothing new with the fighting series but perhaps with a few tweaks to the long range ki attacks and other minor minutae. The bottom line is that if you are a big Dragonball fan, then you probably should get this sometime if you do not already own it. If not, then just rent this or stay away.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:43 am

VegettoEX wrote: No, I say right in there that I got it on eBay for cheap. Meri and I are slightly talking over each other, though.
Oh, OK then (my memory seems to be somewhat unreliable as of late).
It's still kind of funny that I would randomly listen to the episode where you bought it after listening to this one. I guess.