"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:they still reanimated the History of Trunks special's scenes to retcon Trunks' hair color because they stupidly thought that no one would care or remember, which was stupid because Kai refreshed people's memories, as well as merch & video games
I thought the scene was reanimated because the only HD master of it is Funi's, and they didn't want to make an HD master of footage they weren't going to use much of.
Nope. I'm absolutely certain it was to keep up the lie that Future Trunks' hair was always blue. Otherwise, they would've just reused the footage. it wouldn't have taken long to remaster anyways, so I'm sticking with my theory.
They've definitely reused footage from Kai where he had purple hair in flashbacks

So far the only constant is that scenes from History of Trunks are always reanimated, and the only thing that makes it special is that the only master of that special Toei has is the SD Dragon Box

It's probably actually easier to reanimate those scenes than try to dig up their masters of the tapes, remaster them, and make an HD transfer
Especially when the animation is redone with limited budget allotted to it

Edit: seeing that flashback, I may be remembering wrong and all old footage flashbacks were sepia, but that doesn't change the fact that history of trunks is always reanimated
Last edited by AzuraRacon on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:51 pm

The dub really hates saying "Son Goku" huh. I'm worried for the Zamasu scream later on.

In any case, Farmer Zamasu sounds funny.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:55 pm

Danfun64 wrote:They reused footage from Kai that showed Future Trunks with purple hair...so.....
With a graying filter over it.

And towards tonight's episode: Love Marsters' imitation of the way Schemmel voices Goku. He nailed the squeaks in his way of voicing him & the lighthearted way Schemmel voices Goku. I also think that Schemmel has nailed his imitation of Marsters' Zamasu voice. This episode really drives home what he was trying to do, which had previously been very hit or miss. Goku just getting PISSED at Zamasu for killing Chichi & Goten was just excellent. Overall, great dub for this episode Sabat & crew brought their a-games.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:59 pm

*Clap Clap Clap* Funimation you out did yourself with that episode of Super
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:00 pm

mint0h wrote:The dub really hates saying "Son Goku" huh. I'm worried for the Zamasu scream later on.

He sounds just like Schemmel Goku, it was great

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:07 pm

How was Trunks' transformation scene?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:12 pm

IMO, everyone was perfect and did well beyond my expectations. Sean brought it and Mastered truly perfected Zamasu. Trunks ‘I’m evil’ moment, great.

I knew Sean could do this justice and I feel vindicated.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:15 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Danfun64 wrote: I thought the scene was reanimated because the only HD master of it is Funi's, and they didn't want to make an HD master of footage they weren't going to use much of.
Nope. I'm absolutely certain it was to keep up the lie that Future Trunks' hair was always blue. Otherwise, they would've just reused the footage. it wouldn't have taken long to remaster anyways, so I'm sticking with my theory.
They've definitely reused footage from Kai where he had purple hair in flashbacks

So far the only constant is that scenes from History of Trunks are always reanimated, and the only thing that makes it special is that the only master of that special Toei has is the SD Dragon Box

It's probably actually easier to reanimate those scenes than try to dig up their masters of the tapes, remaster them, and make an HD transfer

Edit: seeing that flashback, I may be remembering wrong and all old footage flashbacks were sepia, but that doesn't change the fact that history of trunks is always reanimated
Yep. It's just inconsistent that they reanimate some of the scenes, but leave the other 95% alone. I mean, they've reanimated the scenes before for, like, video games &/or later movies, right? I mean, I would've either appreciated all of the older scenes reanimated, or none of them reanimated. It's kinda like the recap of the previous arcs during Vegeta's inner monologue in the Buu Saga. They reanimated pretty much every scene they recapped for that win their newer artstyle, when they didn't need to, especially when they were shot-for-shot reanimated anyways. I appreciated that, but I still wonder why they did it when anime studios like Toei are notoriously cheap. The thing about Super's reanimation is that you expect them not to have done it, especially since the production was so rushed as it was.

Also towards this episode, anyone else notice that Schemmel talked in a quieter voice similar to what Nozawa did for Black when the body swap first happened, before talking in a normal register afterwards? That's interesting.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:27 pm

Scsigs wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Nope. I'm absolutely certain it was to keep up the lie that Future Trunks' hair was always blue. Otherwise, they would've just reused the footage. it wouldn't have taken long to remaster anyways, so I'm sticking with my theory.

Yep. It's just inconsistent that they reanimate some of the scenes, but leave the other 95% alone. I mean, they've reanimated the scenes before for, like, video games &/or later movies, right? I mean, I would've either appreciated all of the older scenes reanimated, or none of them reanimated. It's kinda like the recap of the previous arcs during Vegeta's inner monologue in the Buu Saga. They reanimated pretty much every scene they recapped for that win their newer artstyle, when they didn't need to, especially when they were shot-for-shot reanimated anyways. I appreciated that, but I still wonder why they did it when anime studios like Toei are notoriously cheap. The thing about Super's reanimation is that you expect them not to have done it, especially since the production was so rushed as it was.

Also towards this episode, anyone else notice that Schemmel talked in a quieter voice similar to what Nozawa did for Black when the body swap first happened, before talking in a normal register afterwards? That's interesting.
A couple of my friends and I actually talked about the Buu flashbacks as we watched through Kai and we all kind of agreed that Toei probably just didn't want to reuse footage from before the time skip, since the entire show seemed to do a soft reboot after Cell

As far as we could remember they never did use pre-Buu footage outside of the Last Episode recaps early in the arc

That's probably all I'm gonna say on the subject though, cause it's Veering off topic into Z territory

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:37 pm

Did Trunks say "then I'll be EVIL" in the original during his transformation?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:45 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Did Trunks say "then I'll be EVIL" in the original during his transformation?
(I think this is a rip of the Crunchyroll subs)
These subs have a different translation that's, basically, the same thing, only he's telling them that if what he did is a sin, then fine, rather than him being evil.
https://youtu.be/GsPEJ_MD4IE?t=1m36s

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:40 am

Everything was fantastic up until the transformation at the end. I have had such mixed feelings towards Eric Vale's performance as Trunks during this arc. He just did not sound pissed off at the end of the episode. Compare that to Sean Schemmel when Goku found out that Zamasu killed him and his family. Goku sounded absolutely livid. Gave me chills.

James Marsters gave his best performance yet in this episode. He sounded very wicked during that scene where Zamasu and Black were blaming Trunks for everything that had happened.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:00 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Everything was fantastic up until the transformation at the end. I have had such mixed feelings towards Eric Vale's performance as Trunks during this arc. He just did not sound pissed off at the end of the episode. Compare that to Sean Schemmel when Goku found out that Zamasu killed him and his family. Goku sounded absolutely livid. Gave me chills.

James Marsters gave his best performance yet in this episode. He sounded very wicked during that scene where Zamasu and Black were blaming Trunks for everything that had happened.
Can't understand that complaint about Vale tonight, thought this was actually one of his best episodes. I feel he has really struggled to drop that heavy rasp he added to the character in Xenoverse but has been getting better each time.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:23 am

Scsigs wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Did Trunks say "then I'll be EVIL" in the original during his transformation?
(I think this is a rip of the Crunchyroll subs)
These subs have a different translation that's, basically, the same thing, only he's telling them that if what he did is a sin, then fine, rather than him being evil.
https://youtu.be/GsPEJ_MD4IE?t=1m36s
Oh ok, thought it was something they added to the scene

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 am

Rewatching this episode in the Dub reminded me of just how much this arc was dark and how high the tension as. When the protagonists are utterly stomped twice by the same enemy, you know that the villain is not messing around. Oh my Zamasu, I miss this arc so much.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:04 am

OLKv3 wrote:
mint0h wrote:The dub really hates saying "Son Goku" huh. I'm worried for the Zamasu scream later on.

He sounds just like Schemmel Goku, it was great
I genuinely thought for a second it was Schemmel!

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:25 am

I've been kind of here or there on Marsters' Zamasu this arc. He started strong, but there were certain scenes where he just sounded bored. Future Zamasu's reveal was underwhelming and his performance in the ep leading up to Beerus erasing him was really...off.

But man, he killed it tonight. He and Schemmel were on form for Zamasu and Black's evil monologue (does it count as a monologue when it's two of the same guy?), and the scene where they have Goku pinned as they explain how he killed his family was legitimately creepy thanks to the performances. And of course, it was fun to hear him imitate Schemmel's Goku, doing a damn fine job of it.

I'm actually a little less sold on Schemmel's rage moment as Goku though. It was certainly intense and I get what they were going for, but I think it might have been overdone. It was very similar to how he handled the Super Saiyan transformation in Kai, slightly feral, voice cracking. I just don't know if that scene necessarily called for that type of anger. I guess it's the only genuine rage moment Goku gets in Super until waaaayy later in episode 130, so he might be trying to make the most of it.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:04 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I've been kind of here or there on Marsters' Zamasu this arc. He started strong, but there were certain scenes where he just sounded bored. Future Zamasu's reveal was underwhelming and his performance in the ep leading up to Beerus erasing him was really...off.

But man, he killed it tonight. He and Schemmel were on form for Zamasu and Black's evil monologue (does it count as a monologue when it's two of the same guy?), and the scene where they have Goku pinned as they explain how he killed his family was legitimately creepy thanks to the performances. And of course, it was fun to hear him imitate Schemmel's Goku, doing a damn fine job of it.

I'm actually a little less sold on Schemmel's rage moment as Goku though. It was certainly intense and I get what they were going for, but I think it might have been overdone. It was very similar to how he handled the Super Saiyan transformation in Kai, slightly feral, voice cracking. I just don't know if that scene necessarily called for that type of anger. I guess it's the only genuine rage moment Goku gets in Super until waaaayy later in episode 130, so he might be trying to make the most of it.

Why wouldn’t it be necessary for Goku to get that angry? Someone just murdered his family in his body.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:04 pm

Danfun64 wrote:They reused footage from Kai that showed Future Trunks with purple hair...so.....
Why? This wasn't on the original right? They have no reason to do so.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:59 pm

OK on Twitter people are going crazy (in a negative way) about this episode and the dub of Super in general. I don't even know what was so wrong about this weeks episodes. Added dialogue? Its to cover lip flaps. Changed dialogue? Nothing in the script is changing the overall story of the arc.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie