Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:39 am

Bura wrote:Will there be a Muten Roshi...?! :shock: Maybe he'll be their teacher... And has Bulma for detention all the time! :shock:
Well, if all of this is true, then he'll be the beggar that trains Chatwin's character.
And every small bit of information unveiled so far seems to lend credence to that article being an accurate description of how they intend to portray the characters.

So, I guess we can assume the plot of the movie is going to go like so...
Chatwin's character is going to have some awkward moments in school, specifically Unitech High School, including a fight with bully and a bit of sexual tension with his lifelong love interest, Chi-chi. We'll establish that he's the unpopular sort, but has an unspoken knack for martial arts.

Sometime afterwards, "Lord Piccolo", who is apparently the ruler of a demonic alien race who tried taking over the world 2000 years ago, refered to as 'Namek-Jins', will send his 'High Ninjas' to kill Chatwin's character's as-yet-uncast grandfather, Gohan.
Why not do it himself, you ask? Well apparently, this Piccolo is still trapped in... something. Despite this, he seems to have plans that involve getting all 7 Dragonballs and uh... an eclipse (Sure. Why not throw an eclipse in there?) to free himself from whatever binds him.

With his dying words, Chatwin's character's as-yet-uncast grandfather sends him on an adventure to get the Dragonballs before "Lord Piccolo".
Oh and uh...Sometime between the fight with the bully and now, Chatwin's character's going to get hit with a car. We'll assume it's Emmy Rossum's Bulma.
Emmy Rossum's Bulma has apparently already had her five-star ball stolen, which is totally preventing her from changing the world like Einstein or Edison. Seriously. She has a DBE, though, which can track the Dragonballs.

Together, they "enlist the help" of Master Roshi, a beggar-looking martial arts master who'll put Chatwin's character through rigorous training.
Sometime after this, the three of them fall into a hole. They're teased by the Lady's Man, Joon Park's Yamcha, who just won't throw down his rope ladder to them! However, after a stirring recount of the events of the last invasion by the Namek-Jin's demon army by Master Roshi, he joins them!
He brings with him his swiss-army utility truck, which can apparently sprout any tool or gear imaginable from it's body.

I'd assume that somewhere around here is the "Tournament of Champions", where Chatwin's character and his motley crew will meet up his life-long love interest, Chi-chi! Things get steamy when Chatwin's character and his life-long love interest, Chi-chi, have a training session.

Here's about where the filler comes in... Eriko Tamura's Mai, Piccolo's "Chief Enforcer", who uh... can shape-shift (Why not?), will take the place of Chi-chi and cause mass confusion and awkwardness. When this little ruse is up, she gets her ass handed to her.

Now we'd see some battling with High Ninjas over some left over Dragonballs... Blahblah, come to the conclusion, Piccolo informs Chatwin's character that he's a Saiyan, destined to be his right-hand man and assist in "destroying and enslaving" the planet... Clash..bash..bam.. Master Roshi dies to destroy Piccolo, saving the day.

Credits Roll...

Teaser image of a giant ball crashing in the middle of nowhere, out steps a beefy man with a tail. (Because we can't have an adaption of a popular franchise without AT LEAST making it a trilogy, right?)

:?
How's my little summary?
Last edited by MisterFlashdude on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:49 am

How's my little summary?
... :( :cry:
Probably 80+% correct. :(
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:58 am

Namek Ninja's :cry:
Anyway, what was wrong with the name " DragonRadar" ? Geez.

The entire plot sounds stupid... But I'll wait and see.

VEGETA_DTX
Beyond Newbie

Post by VEGETA_DTX » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:00 am

DominatorLost wrote:
VEGETA_DTX wrote:Badgers Badgers Badgers
Seriously, why the hell hasn't this guy been banned yet?
Comment of the the classic noob who wanted to play smart-guy and get some attention and reputation.

Maybe I am wrong...
DESTROY ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AMV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMROjUPpgg
http://vegetareviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/bardock.html

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:06 am

This is easily turning into another prime example of why anime fans in general simply can't have a solid discussion for this amount of pages on a message board. Same thing happened with the boxsets, and same thing happened with the last video game.

I really don't have a problem just locking it and not allowing further discussions (possibly even doing some member "clean-up" in the process). It creates a lot less overhead work for me, in the end. Sure, the onus could be on me from the beginning for even allowing it to get to this point, but we typically have such a pretty good self-moderating community that it's rarely necessary, though this seems to prove it is...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Shenron
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shenron » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:37 am

Xyex wrote:About movies made only to earn money
Ok, my mistake. We agree on this point, then.

But not on this point :
Xyex wrote:
Shenron wrote:Maybe the movies made in the last ten years.
No, try ever made, ever, period. Do you have any idea how many movies never see the light of day because the production companies say "This wont even cover costs of production" and toss it in the garbage? It doesn't matter what those involved in the creation of the movie do with it to make it great. At the end of the day the only reason any movie exists is profit.
Don't forget I was talking about movies made after TV series or comics. The main inspiraton source for movies is, and has always been books or novels. Of course, some comics and series have been adapted, but it has never been the core of the production. In fact this fashion is quite new.

And you know, the only reason why you exist is because your parents wanted a child. But once you were conceived, they didn't stop to take care of you, did they ? I think it's the same for a movie.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Blue+Shenron][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/Blue+Shenron.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://vanesshenron.deviantart.com/]Deviantart[/url]

VEGETA_DTX
Beyond Newbie

Post by VEGETA_DTX » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:50 am

VegettoEX wrote:This is easily turning into another prime example of why anime fans in general simply can't have a solid discussion for this amount of pages on a message board. Same thing happened with the boxsets, and same thing happened with the last video game.

I really don't have a problem just locking it and not allowing further discussions (possibly even doing some member "clean-up" in the process). It creates a lot less overhead work for me, in the end. Sure, the onus could be on me from the beginning for even allowing it to get to this point, but we typically have such a pretty good self-moderating community that it's rarely necessary, though this seems to prove it is...
I am sorry for my mistakes, especially for this previous offtopic post.
If anyone want to ban me, do it please anytime, I don't want to feel unwelcome, I am aware that, first of all, my grammar is terrible so basically I deserve it judging by the rules...

And I really wonder what you VegetoEX think of this all!? I mean live action movie? - http://www.dragonballmovieblog.com/
I would appreciate if I could hear your opinion
DESTROY ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AMV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMROjUPpgg
http://vegetareviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/bardock.html

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:03 am

In all seriousness I actually genuinely liked the Chinese Dragonball movie. Then again it looks like that movie will follow the plot a LOT closer then this one...which says something.

However this looks like an interesting take on the show no matter how weird it may seem. Goku wearing his signature colors is a nice nod to Goku's original outfit so hopefully if nothing else there will be a lot more of those small cameos in the movie.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:09 am

I really can't wait for this movie to come out.

It's the only way I'll be able to convince my friends to watch the anime (I made them do the same when Transformers came out) and admit it doesn't actually suck.

I'm really trying to stay positive about this, but I can't get over the whole High school thing..

I mean, why do the creatively impaired that are America's screenwriters insist on adapting the creative works of actually talented people into movies?
Oh well, I'll still pay to see it..

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:11 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm really trying to stay positive about this, but I can't get over the whole High school thing..
Extremely.

Small.

Factor.

This movie is NOT going to be just a super-powered episode of the OC, like everyone seems to think it will.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:34 am

I don't understand the outrage myself. I mean really, what do you want them to do?

Start at the beginning and make a movie out of the Pilaf Saga? You can't have a live action movie where a little kid goes through the beatings Goku did nowadays.

Or you could start at the beginning of Z and have a 5 minute summarization of the entirety of Dragon Ball during the opening credits to give the audience a vague understanding that there are 7 Dragon Balls that summon a dragon to grant a wish when they are gathered together, Goku is a very strong martial artist that has saved the world, and these are his friends, wife, son, teacher, yadda yadda...

The best they can do is just pick and choose parts of Dragon Ball and try to piece together a movie out of what they've got. Some of you are getting so upset when you need to sit back and realize that there is absolutely no chance of a live action Dragon Ball movie pleasing the long time fans that are readers of the manga and lovers of the original Japanese version of the show.

It's just not gonna happen people. It never had a chance, never will have a chance. That is why I can love this new live action endeavour to death and laugh my ass off at everything I see. I can't freaking wait.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:03 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:I'm really trying to stay positive about this, but I can't get over the whole High school thing..
Extremely.

Small.

Factor.

This movie is NOT going to be just a super-powered episode of the OC, like everyone seems to think it will.
I don't find such a dramatic change in character origin and setting to be a "small factor", however for me it's not a deciding one, if this movie is enjoyable on it's own merits, I'll enjoy it.

My personal problems with the movie is that I simply don't understand the choices being made, I'm not expecting anything faithful to the Japanese version, or even that close to the dub, but what I was expecting was a middle-ground (which in my opinion despite my doubts beforehand, Transformers achieved, largely in part to Peter Cullen's participation) however an orange shirt isn't really enough middle ground for me.

I'm fine with changes, when they can actually be justified.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:00 pm

Honestly, as long as the movie follows the DragonBall plot at least somewhat closely, and has a couple cool "things for the fans" thrown in, I will be pleased. I know they are changing the setting of DragonBall, to a more modern style, but that's what they do with everything, I mean it's not like Transformers took place in the eighties and all the robots look like block men.

As for the Namek Ninjas, I am just going to assume that they are going to be people under Piccolo's control, or some kinda of mutant monsters IE Tambourine and Cymbal.

Nyoibo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nyoibo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:00 pm

This movie is so reminding me of Smallville. Which isn't a bad thing.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:28 pm

Nyoibo wrote:This movie is so reminding me of Smallville. Which isn't a bad thing.
The difference is Smallville manages to stick to the Superman mythology for the most part. There are a few changes, but the basics are still there.

This movie looks like its completly ignoring the Dragonball mythos.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:03 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Extremely.

Small.

Factor.

I don't find such a dramatic change in character origin and setting to be a "small factor", however for me it's not a deciding one, if this movie is enjoyable on it's own merits, I'll enjoy it.

My personal problems with the movie is that I simply don't understand the choices being made, I'm not expecting anything faithful to the Japanese version, or even that close to the dub, but what I was expecting was a middle-ground (which in my opinion despite my doubts beforehand, Transformers achieved, largely in part to Peter Cullen's participation) however an orange shirt isn't really enough middle ground for me.

I'm fine with changes, when they can actually be justified.
I don't feel that the moving starting off with Chatwin's character in highschool is a small detail. It is a small portion of the movie, but one that I feel kicks off the film with an attitude that isn't Dragonball.
If you get to the point in your adapation where all you have to do is change the name of the characters and it doesn't even resemble it's source anymore, then it's a problem. Let's try that for a moment.

"Eighteen year old Steve, an unpopular student and occasional target for bullies at Unitech Highschool, isn't just harboring some warm fuzzies for his life-long love, Phillis! He's secretly skilled in the martial arts, and when Drackor, the leader of a demonic race of aliens known as the Funions that had tried to invade Earth 2000 years ago and failed, sends his High Ninjas to kill Steve's grandfather, Steve is launched into a race with the minions of Drackor to find seven artifacts before an eclipse that might free the demon alien leader!
Along the way, Steve meets up with a bright young woman named Linda, whose father's artifact has already been stolen! Dear Linda hopes to use the power of the artifacts to change the world for the benefit of mankind. Together, they seek out an old friend of Steve's grandfather, who teaches Steve everything he needs to know to find the artifacts! And lastly, that swingin' cat Kletis! Kletis and his awesome utility truck will be a huge help to our heroes!"

Now, really... Is that Dragonball? Let's compare.

"Twelve year old Goku, a wild boy with a tail living alone in the mountains, is one day stumbled upon by the sixteen year old Bulma! She soon discovers the amazing talents of Goku, who can withstand bullets and easily lift a car above his head, and is armed with the amazing Nyoi-bo- A staff that can extend to any length at Goku's whim! But Bulma tells Goku an awesome tale of the ancient Dragonballs that will grant any one wish to those who gather them!
Fooling the poor young idiot into thinking that protecting her on her journey is training, they set to reach Bulma's ultimate goal- To get herself the perfect man!"

It's just not the same. Goku is a moronic kid who has no grasp on society, has trouble counting, and can't even tell the difference between boys and girls without a little pat-pat. He isn't raised contently with Gohan and sent to school, he steps on Gohan when he's little because he turns into a giant monkey. Bulma is a sixteen year old girl trying to get herself a man over her summer vacation.
Kaboom is right. In the grand scheme of this movie, the "school factor" is only a small detail in the long list of why this movie should piss off Dragonball fans.
Alright, the cars in the "City of the Future" look futuristic... but do they fly? Do you really think there's going to be a single Hoi-poi capsule in the film? Will anthropomorphic animals casually live among the citizens, while being ruled by a Dog? Do you really think they'll put in giant dinosaurs in the background?
And Piccolo is the leader of an entire race of demonic aliens, bent on invading the Earth after a failed attempt 2000 years ago? He can't just be a singular, powerful entity who... occasionally barfs up a spawn of himself?
I'm sorry, last I checked the "Namek-jins" seemed like easy-going farmers contently going about restoring their planet after an apocalyptic catastrophe.

Now, I know there are a few people who are saying "Who cares? It's going to suck anyway, so why not shut up and enjoy an attempt at Dragoball?"
Because it's not that they're not capable. We've been saying for years that they'd never get a Dragonball movie off the ground, and now they have, and it's awful. Certain members in denial of his fact need to accept it.
The tragedy is that it doesn't have to be. With today's visual technology, adapting a faithful script from any part of Dragonball for the big screen wouldn't be difficult. I don't care if they start at the beginning of Dragonball, or pick up at the start of DBZ, but this isn't any of that. It's a random tangent that skewers the characters, world, and races of Dragonball.

In a decade where all fans have demanded, are demanding, and damn well shall continue to demand that their favorite series be adapted faithfully when they inevitably reach the big screen, the direction that this movie is going in is simply unacceptable.
Last edited by MisterFlashdude on Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:15 pm

MisterFlashdude brings up a point I thought of earlier - if this film is supposed to be like, our world for the most part, then...how are they gonna explain people with names like Goku and Bulma? :roll:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:56 pm

They can't, because it won't make any sense. Especially an 20something year-old American guy walking around with a Japanese name in particular.

Honestly, they COULD have just gave the movie and all of the characters different names it seems like, and simply said in the background that the movie was "inspired by" Dragonball.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:22 pm

Like Zero? :lol:

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:31 pm

Misterflashdude's post sums up the issues with this movie pretty well.
Trans rights, now!