Trunks/Bardock digitally remastered double feature cover art

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:32 am

You're just going to be that guy that always has to single out people huh? Take it easy.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:41 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:You're just going to be that guy that always has to single out people huh? Take it easy.
You're singling yourself out by constantly beating us over the head with your opinion on the matter.

Now, in more on-topic news, I figure I'm going to pass on this set, Madman's box with the two specials and movie 13 is only $39.95, and I don't see this costing less than that (the season sets themselves are $60 here)

..I do already own the Trunks special, but with Christmas coming up, I'll just throw my old copy at my younger sister (the trunks special AND The Muppet Christmas Carol?... I may happen to be the greatest brother...ever)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:13 pm

Yeah I gave you my opinion. You don't see me going, "now choke on it!" It's just that it feels like nobody's reading. And then people go ahead and tell me that I'm wrong. I'm wrong that they're making tons of money with it? So I re clarify, but then someone else says something, so I re clarify once more. It's not my fault that I have to keep repeating myself until people understand what I'm trying to say.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:26 am

Dragonballz.com just updated, along with Season 4 stuff, a section on this with a trailer. Their picture of the box looks very tin indeed.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:38 am

Hero 004 wrote:Dragonballz.com just updated, along with Season 4 stuff, a section on this with a trailer. Their picture of the box looks very tin indeed.
These season sets don't look so bad in teeny-weeny eye-strain-o-vision. I just hope that when the Blu-Ray versions eventually come out that maybe it was a bad down-conversion all along and the only real problem will be some chili peppers once in awhile and a few awkward shots due to cropping here and there as opposed to foam, outline-loss, and really bad contrast. Maybe then I might buy them.

Arcwave
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arcwave » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Trailer is up:

http://www.dragonballz.com/index.cfm?page=bardokTrunks

Looks pretty promising if you ask me. 8)
Jesse
tricofilms.com

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:19 am

Arcwave wrote:Trailer is up:

http://www.dragonballz.com/index.cfm?page=bardokTrunks

Looks pretty promising if you ask me. 8)
I like how they spelled Bardock wrong in the url. I wonder if the "Original Japanese Audio" line means they're offering the dub with Japanese music? Not that it matters to me. >_>
­

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:24 pm

Eric Vale's really forcing his voice in that trailer.. :?

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:26 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Eric Vale's really forcing his voice in that trailer.. :?
Yeah, that didn't really sound right to me at all. Too bad, I actually think his voice for Trunks is one of the best for the dub.
Trans rights, now!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:00 pm

I guess when they make those videos they don't want to sound like their characters. I mean anyone remember the first three? Chris Sabat (I think it was him) didn't sound like any of the characters he played. And they never want to use their real voice either for some reason.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:12 pm

Hmm? Vale's Trunks voice is quite similar to that. The main difference is that in the Trailer, Vale's trying to sound very Epic...and, uh...Trailer guy'ish.

Anyway I find it funny that Funimation's screwed up on their own site. Read the description for the History of Trunks in that Double Feature section. They make it sound like Goku is the last Z-Warrior to die. Rather than then first.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:26 pm

lol Whoever they pay to type that crap up, they didn't pay him enough.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:44 pm

Wow...that trailer is horrible. Yet again, it's "the way it was meant to be seen" :P

-Corey

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:12 pm

Whenever there's a trailer for a show that lasts longer than a commercial it's horrible usually. This whole "I'll try to explain what it's about without actually telling you" is an awful marketing strategy.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:34 pm

Wow they are still really driving that whole "the way it was meant to be seen" point home aren’t they?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:55 pm

"The original film masters" lol What happened? The original film masters cut the top and bottom off of each film? Or did they go back and use whiteout on the lines? Obviously this isn't the way it was meant to be seen. The way it was meant to be seen if it was made in 2 years in HD format maybe, but not the way the show was really meant to be seen. It irritates me that they actually advertise it as such.

I'm just curious. If they got the original film masters, that must mean they got Dragon Box footage right? And they turned the Dragon Box footage into that. So that means, that they have the Dragon Box footage and simply slaughtered it. Sorry, doesn't look like a US Dragon Box is coming out because if they really do have the original film, then they already have the Dragon Box basically. Or am I missing something?

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:09 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I'm just curious. If they got the original film masters, that must mean they got Dragon Box footage right? And they turned the Dragon Box footage into that. So that means, that they have the Dragon Box footage and simply slaughtered it. Sorry, doesn't look like a US Dragon Box is coming out because if they really do have the original film, then they already have the Dragon Box basically. Or am I missing something?
How did you come up with that one? :shock: From what posts of yours that I've read in other threads, you already know what Funimation means when they say "remastering" and "original film masters." Why bring it up again? :roll:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:30 pm

Perhaps you don't get what I'm saying...

The original film = film used for Dragon Box right?

So if FUNimation got the "original film", that would mean they had the Dragon Box footage in their fingertips... And they decided to turn that into the Season Sets that so many people hate so much. So wouldn't that mean that they basically bullshitted fans one way or the other? Either they bullshitted fans by saying that they got the original film masters, OR they bullshitted fans by saying that they don't have access to the Dragon Box footage because wouldn't they be one in the same?

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:37 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Perhaps you don't get what I'm saying...

The original film = film used for Dragon Box right?
Not necessarily. Funimation most likely did not have access to the same masters that Toei did when they telecined the Dragon Box footage. More than likely they had 2nd or 3rd generation masters. No company in their right mind would give up their original masters.
TheGreatness25 wrote:So if FUNimation got the "original film", that would mean they had the Dragon Box footage in their fingertips... And they decided to turn that into the Season Sets that so many people hate so much. So wouldn't that mean that they basically bullshitted fans one way or the other? Either they bullshitted fans by saying that they got the original film masters, OR they bullshitted fans by saying that they don't have access to the Dragon Box footage because wouldn't they be one in the same?
Fact is they did bullshit us by fucking up the masters they really do have. Not only that, they blatantly lied to us about it. They lied with the season sets and their lying to us with this upcoming "double feature."

I won't be buying it, I already own the 4:3 DVD releases.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:39 pm

Funi does not, nor will they EVER get the ORIGINAL film masters.

What they refer to as the 'original' film masters are THEIR masters that they got 13/14 years ago, that are at best 2nd gen, and at worst 4th gen copies (did anyone ever decide what gen they probably are?, with the difference in colors I'd guess 3rd).

The masters used for the Dragonbox were in cold storage in Japan and Toei removed them a few years ago, scanned them all in digitally (at 480p if I recall). Then they PROPERLY remastered them.

Dragonbox- Original Masters, Digitally Scanned, Remastered by removing film errors.

Funi Season Sets- Nth gen film copies, Digitally Scanned, tops and bottoms cropped off to remove film damage, picture blurred in an attempt to remove as many glitches in the film as possible, no ACTUAL remastering was done, as is noticeable when you still see a sizeable amount of obvious dirt, rips, etc on the print that ANY competant remastering artist would notice.