Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Resurrection "F"'s biggest issue is that 90% of it is basically two big fights, and the only thing that saves it from that narrative standpoint is the character interactions inserted during them. Otherwise it's fairly boring and drags the pacing down quite a bit in the sense that it feels like the movie is way longer than what the events happening really are.

I'd gladly take something closer the Battle of Gods structure (not necessarily a party, just the downtime). Because despite the fact that nothing significant is occurring during the majority of the film, the extended edition never once feels like it's dragging its feet. The film feels like it's over almost as soon as it starts because of how easily it is to be immersed during the viewing.

If the Super movie is more akin to Resurrection "F" than Battle of Gods, it probably won't be very high up on my list of favorites, no matter what kind of lore it introduces. Which is a shame, because I love lore.
Gotta disagree here, the extended edition makes the film a lot worse and it so drags for me, non extended cut the film lacks immediacy and this is more apparent in the extended cut, examples before Goku arrives shit gets dragged on and we get some lame rock paper scissors gag :roll: or the fact that as soon as the big "battle" between Goku and Beerus starts we get more pointless cutaways to the cast that just kill any sense of the battle. Nothing in the film screamed yes this deserved to be a movie I gotta agree with Bullza throughout the entire thing it just screamed "OVA".

Ultimately that is what I want to feel from this new movie as I finish it I want to be like yes this deserved to be a movie.
How about comparing the movie to other db movies that there have been. Considering how i think this movies will be 2 hours, we can fit multiple movie aspects into it. I would like some, Bardock, the father of Goku with some 1st Broly movie and a bit of BoG to top it all off.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: I'd gladly take something closer the Battle of Gods structure (not necessarily a party, just the downtime). Because despite the fact that nothing significant is occurring during the majority of the film, the extended edition never once feels like it's dragging its feet. The film feels like it's over almost as soon as it starts because of how easily it is to be immersed during the viewing.
Agreed. For me, what really sets Battle of Gods apart from most of the other DB movies (including Resurrection F) is that its plot never takes itself overly seriously. With its light-hearted tone, fun character dynamics and perfectly Toriyama-esque gags, the film feels like a joy ride from start to finish. It was also responsible for introducing Beerus and Whis as well as the expanded lore that would later become incorporated into the franchise as a whole, which it did pretty masterfully.

I don't expect the 2018 film to feel all that similar to it, but I'd love to see some of its tonal aspects incorporated here at least.

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Wed May 09, 2018 1:22 am

Grimlock wrote: Also, you may want to fix your quote, it breaks the thread.
I’m sorry after all this time here my formatting is off, would it be inappropriate to ask you to reformat it for me and DM me or explain where I went wrong? I don’t mean to mess with the flow.
Meshack wrote: Yamoshi never became a Super Saiyan God, only Super Saiyan.
Yeah I apologize my information was old info mixed with a bad translation, in a reply to that I addressed it. Thank you for not making me feel dumb about it though even with all my knowledge on the show the new stuff convolutes sometimes and throws me for a loop hahaha.
Super Saiya-jin 5 Toroten

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Wed May 09, 2018 1:34 am

Ss5Troten wrote:
I’m sorry after all this time here my formatting is off, would it be inappropriate to ask you to reformat it for me and DM me or explain where I went wrong? I don’t mean to mess with the flow.
Basically, you did this:

Code: Select all

[quote][spoiler]text here[/quote][/spoiler] 
while it should be this:

Code: Select all

[quote][spoiler]text here[/spoiler][/quote] 
The code that goes first must be closed last, if you don't the page will become messed up, but I had reported to the mods and they fixed it for you, just be careful next time.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed May 09, 2018 7:03 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Resurrection "F"'s biggest issue is that 90% of it is basically two big fights, and the only thing that saves it from that narrative standpoint is the character interactions inserted during them. Otherwise it's fairly boring and drags the pacing down quite a bit in the sense that it feels like the movie is way longer than what the events happening really are.

I'd gladly take something closer the Battle of Gods structure (not necessarily a party, just the downtime). Because despite the fact that nothing significant is occurring during the majority of the film, the extended edition never once feels like it's dragging its feet. The film feels like it's over almost as soon as it starts because of how easily it is to be immersed during the viewing.

If the Super movie is more akin to Resurrection "F" than Battle of Gods, it probably won't be very high up on my list of favorites, no matter what kind of lore it introduces. Which is a shame, because I love lore.
Gotta disagree here, the extended edition makes the film a lot worse and it so drags for me, non extended cut the film lacks immediacy and this is more apparent in the extended cut, examples before Goku arrives shit gets dragged on and we get some lame rock paper scissors gag :roll: or the fact that as soon as the big "battle" between Goku and Beerus starts we get more pointless cutaways to the cast that just kill any sense of the battle. Nothing in the film screamed yes this deserved to be a movie I gotta agree with Bullza throughout the entire thing it just screamed "OVA".

Ultimately that is what I want to feel from this new movie as I finish it I want to be like yes this deserved to be a movie.
I don't want the usual trope of Goku coming at the last minute to the final battle. It has gotten stale to me and not very interesting to watch.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri May 11, 2018 5:30 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I don't want the usual trope of Goku coming at the last minute to the final battle. It has gotten stale to me and not very interesting to watch.
Gokou is the main character so he has to be in the final battle somehow. I don’t mind it too much since I am aware Gokou will be the main focus unless Toriyama wand the focus to be primarily on someone else.

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Fri May 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Meshack wrote: Gokou is the main character so he has to be in the final battle somehow. I don’t mind it too much since I am aware Gokou will be the main focus unless Toriyama wand the focus to be primarily on someone else.
I don’t want Goku to be excluded, I’d like him to be involved. At this point it would seem silly and forced to make him uninvolved. What I don’t want is for him to be a main focus. It would be nice if he didn’t win and somebody else did it. Focus on technique instead of raw power since there is no reason to assume the threat of this new movie should be even close to equal in raw power to many of the present day characters. Then again there is no reason to assume they aren’t I suppose.
Sandubadear wrote: The code that goes first must be closed last, if you don't the page will become messed up, but I had reported to the mods and they fixed it for you, just be careful next time.
Thank you for that, I don’t know how I didn’t notice that.

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri May 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Ss5Troten wrote:
Meshack wrote: Gokou is the main character so he has to be in the final battle somehow. I don’t mind it too much since I am aware Gokou will be the main focus unless Toriyama wand the focus to be primarily on someone else.
I don’t want Goku to be excluded, I’d like him to be involved. At this point it would seem silly and forced to make him uninvolved. What I don’t want is for him to be a main focus. It would be nice if he didn’t win and somebody else did it. Focus on technique instead of raw power since there is no reason to assume the threat of this new movie should be even close to equal in raw power to many of the present day characters. Then again there is no reason to assume they aren’t I suppose.
Sandubadear wrote: The code that goes first must be closed last, if you don't the page will become messed up, but I had reported to the mods and they fixed it for you, just be careful next time.
Thank you for that, I don’t know how I didn’t notice that.
Gokou almost never wins, especially in Super. He didn't win against Beerus, he died by the hands of Freeza, decided to jump off the arena against Hit because Hit couldn't fight at full power, Potara Zamasu was too powerful for him and the others and Ultra Instinct took a toll on Gokou's body and later was dropped out with Freeza against Jiren. Even in Z, Gokou died by the hands of Piccolo, decimated by Vegeta, damaged by Ginew, lost against the androids and killed himself to protect the world against Cell.

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Fri May 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Meshack wrote:
Ss5Troten wrote:[spoiler]
Thank you for that, I don’t know how I didn’t notice that.[/spoiler]
Gokou almost never wins, especially in Super. He didn't win against Beerus, he died by the hands of Freeza, decided to jump off the arena against Hit because Hit couldn't fight at full power, Potara Zamasu was too powerful for him and the others and Ultra Instinct took a toll on Gokou's body and later was dropped out with Freeza against Jiren. Even in Z, Gokou died by the hands of Piccolo, decimated by Vegeta, damaged by Ginew, lost against the androids and killed himself to protect the world against Cell.
No I understand that, he is almost never the actual victor this is true but he is almost ALWAYS the catalyst or a catalyst. I’d like to see that formula change just to see how they handle it but I could take it or leave it. HFIL if he almost lost them came back and “surprisingly” “somehow” beat the hell out of the threat and won with a Genki Dama I’d take it. (Since this is the formula everybody seems to stereotype Dragon Ball Z as being mainly consistent of) I personally won’t be sold or unsold either way but I would enjoy to see some other folks winning.

It’s important to note that as far as the movies are concerned Goku has only not been the victor’s catalyst or victor in what like 1 or 2 movies? The only one I can think of off top is Bio-Broly.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri May 11, 2018 8:53 pm

I feel like an eternity has passed since the last bit of information...

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri May 11, 2018 9:46 pm

YamiGoku wrote:I feel like an eternity has passed since the last bit of information...
Yeah, there's always this fat gap of no news between the teaser trailer and the reveal of the official title and poster when it comes to a new movie. We might get some small info along the way like a couple of character designs, but I don't expect to see anything major until July. That's probably when we'll see a title and poster.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 11, 2018 10:47 pm

The movie is coming out in December, good thing to deduce beforehand that the marketing would be different (per "different" I mean slow mostly), that teaser in March was unexpected but it also gave us a sign that it would be all that we would have for a while. Pretty sure we won't get anything until July.

I'm eager for a real trailer though, I want to see a glimpse of what to expect about the past of the Saiyans.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Sat May 12, 2018 12:00 am

Grimlock wrote:The movie is coming out in December, good thing to deduce beforehand that the marketing would be different (per "different" I mean slow mostly), that teaser in March was unexpected but it also gave us a sign that it would be all that we would have for a while. Pretty sure we won't get anything until July.

I'm eager for a real trailer though, I want to see a glimpse of what to expect about the past of the Saiyans.
I really want to know if that was some sort of new Saiya-jin threat or if it’s truly Yamoshi’s soul finally finding the Super Saiya-jin God or what! I also wanna know what it looks like.

Also I know this is a stretch but from what I saw it looked like a golden SSJ4. That isn’t to say he was SSJ4 but just to say that the form we saw could be some sort of bridge! Whomst knows!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:57 am

Ss5Troten wrote:
Grimlock wrote:The movie is coming out in December, good thing to deduce beforehand that the marketing would be different (per "different" I mean slow mostly), that teaser in March was unexpected but it also gave us a sign that it would be all that we would have for a while. Pretty sure we won't get anything until July.

I really want to know if that was some sort of new Saiya-jin threat or if it’s truly Yamoshi’s soul finally finding the Super Saiya-jin God or what! I also wanna know what it looks like.

Also I know this is a stretch but from what I saw it looked like a golden SSJ4. That isn’t to say he was SSJ4 but just to say that the form we saw could be some sort of bridge! Whomst knows!
He didn’t have any body fur. All he had was a green fur pelt wrapped around his waist.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Hope we don't have a things like Yamoshi spirit giving Goku advices, this is too much Star Wars-ish for me.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat May 12, 2018 6:10 pm

YamiGoku wrote:I feel like an eternity has passed since the last bit of information...

We've received some little extras about the story a couple of weeks ago (multilayered story etc). The reason why were are waiting for more visuals for some time ... The first one in March was really only an indicator of how the new animation would look. TOEI stressed that. I'd suppose the next time when they show us something animated it'll be a little bit more definitive 'as showed in the movie'. They're probably working on it hard at this moment, so we'll get something as soon as possible. It's in their importance as well to get some 'hype' starting. But they don't want to give us something that's not definitive next time around, that's understandable as well.
We might get some snippets of character designs earlier. My guess is July for next animated teasers.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Part of me hopes that at least one of the new characters from this movie ends up being a main-stay in the db world instead of just getting killed off by the end.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:40 pm

Now that i think about it, we’re on the brink of witnessing the best looking, most action packed, lore heavy, longest worked on, highest quality, lengthiest Dragon ball movie (or db project in general) of all time.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:08 am

jeffbr92 wrote:Hope we don't have a things like Yamoshi spirit giving Goku advices, this is too much Star Wars-ish for me.
You relate that to Star Wars despite that being exctually how Gohan beat Cell and Bojack?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun May 13, 2018 1:38 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:Now that i think about it, we’re on the brink of witnessing the best looking, most action packed, lore heavy, longest worked on, highest quality, lengthiest Dragon ball movie (or db project in general) of all time.
You just described why I’m so ridiculously excited for this film. I haven’t been this pumped for a Dragon Ball project in years.