Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:08 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:You know, on the topic of composers, is Zimmer known for anything else besides the new Batman movies?
I know he did the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but that's off the top of my head.

Anyway, everyone vote for Dragon Ball on Super Hero Hype's poll (no registration required :D) http://www.superherohype.com/index.php
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:13 am

Senator McJillywiggins wrote: But now, unfortunately, DB is a dead fad. It's constantly hounded by people for calling it "not a real anime" and ragging on it for long energy charges, yelling, and stuff. And I think that opinion of the general public may doom this movie. I see that they are trying to revive the franchise, but it's too soon. TF was twenty-three years old when the movie was released, and people looked at it like, "Ooo I remember that show when I was a kid! That show was awesome!" But the opinion of DB now, in general is, "uh." It needs to wait until the kids who watched it when they were little look on it happily. Teenagers like me think everything they loved when they were kids is stupid and irrelevant. But not me.

I have been loving Dragonball for almost eight years now, since I was nine years old, it's my most favourite series, and I don't see why they call it a "fake anime"

Sure it doesn't star an emo anorexic "bishonen" and it was made in the 80s but that's not reason to hate it.

Shows can be good without being a 2007 anime starring an emo cutter who does shit with spirits and has alsmoist no female characters and more hinted yaoi.

Look at One Piece, it stars a guy simular to Goku (Luffy) and he has two females (Nami and Robin) on his team as well as four other guys (Sanji, Usopp, Chopper and Zorro) and there is no yaoi hints whatsoever and it's become a hit.

Shows in my opinion can be awesome without starring two guys who are emo and in love wirh eachother.

Anyway, I'm going to watch the movie just to see what it's like later this year. :D

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:14 am

Anzu, what kinda shows are you watching??

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:18 am

JAPPO wrote:Anzu, what kinda shows are you watching??
I'd have to second that question. Most of the popular anime I'm hearing about lately have been the kind starring eccentric schoolgirls. :?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

dasmith
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dasmith » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:20 am

JAPPO wrote:
Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:You know, on the topic of composers, is Zimmer known for anything else besides the new Batman movies?
I know he did the Pirates of the Caribbean movies
I know he did Gladiator off the top of my head, he's done a lot of other great scores as well.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:24 am

Stuff with "spirits".....Shaman King? YYH? Bleach?
I enjoyed all three of those to an extent. YYH the most as I've only seen maybe 4 episodes tops of Bleach and only a third of Shaman King.

I have no idea what series you're talking about.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:28 am

JAPPO wrote:
I know he did the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but that's off the top of my head.

Anyway, everyone vote for Dragon Ball on Super Hero Hype's poll (no registration required :D) http://www.superherohype.com/index.php
Ok, that makes sense, now that I think about it, the scores sound similar.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:56 am

I don't know anything about these composers, but to have the guy from the Final Fantasy games would be great.(But that will never happen.)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:41 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
JAPPO wrote:

Ok, that makes sense, now that I think about it, the scores sound similar.
He also composed the score for "The Lion King", which sounds really damn good in my opinion. Seriously, watch the stampede scene again and really listen. That piece made me scared and upset and brought tears to my eyes when I listened to it again recently, and I've seen the movie a bunch of times before. That was powerful. So I agree; he might make for an excellent composer for this film.

I don't think Nobuo Uematsu will be doing any of the composing for this movie. Sure, saying that he would be unlikely because he's never worked on anything Dragonball before wouldn't really work considering who else is actually involved in the project, but... has he done ANY kind of work for movies outside of anything Final Fantasy? I don't think he has... :?

Another (game) composer whose work I think would be really interesting (i.e. nothing short of wonderful) to hear in a movie like this would be Yasunori Mitsuda. But, I'm not sure if he's done any kind of movie work at all, and he's not exactly very outgoing, it seems. So, I don't think I can hope for him to get involved in this, either... :oops:
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:52 am

JAPPO wrote:

Sorry, but I'm anticipating Batman more.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Fushar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Fushar » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:50 pm

Zimmer is the best in my opinion, he also did "The Rock" movie (with Nicolas Cage and Sean Connery) among others.

I used his score from "The Rock" in my second DBZ video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1s2l7 ... ayajin_fun

Just take a look and you will see what I mean.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:06 pm

I didn't like Batman Begins, I bet "The Dark Knight" is all hype no substance.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:12 pm

my only complaint with the batman movies is the rubber suit. I mean, there is a fan film out there, where they based the suit entirely off the comics and it looked awesome.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:23 pm

On composers, I really think that none of the suggested composers (with the exception of Kikuchi, of course) fit the sort of style for Dragonball.

Elfman would be closest IMO because he is capable of being a little more unique. On the hand, a lot of his scores are reletively dark, so it probably wouldn't be all that suitable either.

The other composers have their own styles, which aren't bad, just not suitable for DB. I don't think we need this huge, grandiose orchestral work for this movie.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:25 pm

omegacwa wrote:my only complaint with the batman movies is the rubber suit. I mean, there is a fan film out there, where they based the suit entirely off the comics and it looked awesome.
O_o

Do want.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:52 pm

I think they won't bother writing a score and just put some rock or metal music in it. Or maybe when they release a remastered dvd of the film, it will include a bad mix of the origonal japanese audio from the show! (that was sarcasm by the way)

MorningBreeze

Post by MorningBreeze » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:21 pm

People who criticize DB for being a fake anime are really incomprehensible. Dragon Ball really is, ironically a revered classic. Lots of shows mirror or are based on, or have been inspired by it, so to me only ignorance would make someone go on bash something like Dragon Ball that way. Look at Naruto, and really and there are several similarities in style.

Even if Dragon Ball doesn´t fall under the same concept of modern anime that a lot of people are thinking of, it is really on a higher league.

I think it is as good a time as any to make a live action film, DB goes back to my childhood and makes ME feel nostalgic (I am 26). Remember this is Dragaon Ball, not DBZ and it is at that point of being old enough to remember and cherish. Also if they decide to carry on the franchize, DBZ is at a good point to make a live action of for a different reason, it isn´t too old that it´s completely dead and there is still a lot of interest out there. I myself were able to watch it until this year.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:32 pm

Another (game) composer whose work I think would be really interesting (i.e. nothing short of wonderful) to hear in a movie like this would be Yasunori Mitsuda.
*Imagines something along the lines of awakening (from Xenosaga) for Piccolo's first appearance*

That would be absolutely orgasmic.

For similar reasons, Yuki Kajiura would be awesome too. Something like A Dark Omen from Xenosaga III for Piccolo's first appearance. And something like T-elos #2 (also from XSIII) for the Goku Vs. Piccolo battle.... *drools*
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Sorry guys, no video game composer is going to do the score... no chance in hell.

A popular movie composer like the ones I mentioned have a chance though.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:33 pm

It would be pretty funny and maybe even kinda good if Bruce Faulconer did the score. I'd probably be pretty happy with that.

Oh by the way..500th post! w00t.