How powerful was Gohan at his peak, without being enraged, in Namek?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

How powerful was Gohan at his peak, without being enraged, in Namek?

Post by Angelus » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:39 pm

Feel free to give power level estimates too. Was there ever a point on Namek where Gohan became powerful enough to solo the entire Ginyu Force (with no Change-Body or Time Freeze) by himself, without being enraged, according to your estimates?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: How powerful was Gohan at his peak, without being enraged, in Namek?

Post by PFM18 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:01 am

This is the 3rd forum that you have posted this topic on that I know of....

But isn't there a statement about Gohan's power being in the hundred thousands during his fight with Freeza without even taking into account the rage boosts? I thought it was pretty much an official fact that during the fight with Freeza he could have dwarfed the power of the Ginyu Force and it would make sense with the events that were given.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:09 am

Oh, he definitely got strong enough to wipe out the Ginyu Force. Krillin hit the 75,000 mark by the end of his time on Namek, which would've been more than enough to handle everybody but the Captain himself. We know Gohan was a little stronger than Krillin the moment their potentials were unlocked, and just like Krillin he kept on getting stronger from there. On top of that, Gohan got a couple of near-death boosts between the potential-unlocking and the end of his time on Namek.

Kid Gohan's rage boosts were never too outrageously huge. They weren't making him thousands of times stronger or anything crazy like that, aside from his first one when he flew out of the pod and smashed into Raditz's chest... but that's a bit of a different situation, since that was a 4-year-old Gohan who'd never actually trained before and wouldn't know how to consciously draw out his full power (not even his "normal" full power, without rage pumping it up even higher.)

So I'd say if raging Gohan was able to hurt 2nd-form Freeza a little, calm Gohan at that point in the battle should be more than enough to destroy the Ginyu Force.

EDIT: I think I remember a power level of 600,000 or something like that going around for (not-enraged) Gohan during this point in the story. Not sure if it was official or somebody's guess, but if he was around that level... yeah, he would be far too much for the Ginyu Force and could potentially even beat first-form Freeza.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:55 am

What made me ask this question was because I watched a few fights scenes in the Cooler's Revenge movie. Given that this was after Namek, Gohan should have been able to solo the Niez, Dore, and Salza, if his tail wasn't grabbed. Piccolo would have killed them so much faster instead too. I don't even know how Dore managed to even bear hug Goku and keep him in place even for a second or two.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:33 am

Enraged Gohan was able to smack around suppressed 2nd form Freeza, and while not enraged his official battle power given was 200,000 at the start of the fight. However, he then got badly beaten by Freeza after his rage moment and was healed by Dende. At that point, Vegeta noted that his power rose a lot from that:
Chapter: 299 (DBZ 105), P13.1
Context: after Gohan is healed by Dende
Vegeta: “Heh…Just as you’d expect of someone with Saiyan blood, after reviving his battle power has greatly risen…A-alright! Luck is turning our way just a little bit…”
Then, when Piccolo's attacked he gets mad and attacks Freeza again. This time he manages to briefly push third form Freeza back, and both Freeza and Vegeta attribute this to his zenkai rather than his rage:
Chapter: 303 (DBZ 109), P9.2
Freeza: “That’s strange…That squirt shouldn’t have had so much battle power…He’s become like a different person after returning to life from the brink of death…”

Chapter: 303 (DBZ 109), P10.2-3
Context: after Freeza repels Gohan’s attack
Piccolo: “He bounced that back, but…You’ve become strong, Gohan…I’m happy…”
Gohan: “B-but it wasn’t any use…I put all my force into that, but…It didn’t affect Freeza…”
Given that Freeza powered up twice in his second form after Gohan attacked him, being able to push back third form Freeza would be a pretty big jump if we assume his rage power was at least somewhat proportionate.

Though with Vegeta and Freeza only mentioning Gohan's zenkai power, and Piccolo saying Gohan has 'become strong' make me think he might not have even been getting a rage boost, and that is just his power after being revived. He sure seems mad though.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Saiga wrote:Enraged Gohan was able to smack around suppressed 2nd form Freeza, and while not enraged his official battle power given was 200,000 at the start of the fight. However, he then got badly beaten by Freeza after his rage moment and was healed by Dende. At that point, Vegeta noted that his power rose a lot from that:
Vegeta: “Heh…Just as you’d expect of someone with Saiyan blood, after reviving his battle power has greatly risen…A-alright! Luck is turning our way just a little bit…”
Then, when Piccolo's attacked he gets mad and attacks Freeza again. This time he manages to briefly push third form Freeza back, and both Freeza and Vegeta attribute this to his zenkai rather than his rage:
Freeza: “That’s strange…That squirt shouldn’t have had so much battle power…He’s become like a different person after returning to life from the brink of death…”

Gohan: “B-but it wasn’t any use…I put all my force into that, but…It didn’t affect Freeza…”
Given that Freeza powered up twice in his second form after Gohan attacked him, being able to push back third form Freeza would be a pretty big jump if we assume his rage power was at least somewhat proportionate.

Though with Vegeta and Freeza only mentioning Gohan's zenkai power, and Piccolo saying Gohan has 'become strong' make me think he might not have even been getting a rage boost, and that is just his power after being revived. He sure seems mad though.
I completely agree. Gohan at his peak was strong enough to push back 3rd form Freeza, to ask if he could wipe out the Ginyu Tokusentai is a heavy understimation.

Sure, he was mad, but being mad =/= Rage boost. In the Boo Arc Gohan complains that he's mad, but not enough to tap into his dormant power.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:19 pm

I'm not sure I agree that Gohan could've taken down the entirety of the Ginyu Force by his lonesome or even Captain Ginyu. His fights are always short spurts and these experienced fighters can last longer than him. They would certainly defeat him.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Pretty much all of the manga's fights are short spurts. Ginyu said a fighter with a battle power of 60,000 would be able to do what Goku did to the other Ginyus, and Gohan is well above that level. That just leaves Ginyu - 120,000 compared to 200,000 - Gohan would be able to beat him even before his zenkai against Freeza.

Freeza's men mostly rely on brute strength, so someone who far outclasses them in brute strength is just going to take them apart.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:17 pm

He is probably stronger than first form frieza probably 700,000 range...

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Kid Gohan in his peak in Namek is roughly around Vegeta's level when fought 1st form Frieza. His power level maybe is around 500,000; max: 625,000? Just my opinion!

(However, when he was enraged, his power level was probably double his current... so if 625,000; then, 1,250,000. Just enough to push back a 3rd form Frieza.)
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:50 am

As noted, 200,000 was his official battle power at the start of the fight thanks to the elder's potential unlock ability, but Vegeta outright states that it was still increasing when the fight started:

Chapter: 295 (DBZ 101), P9.1-5
Vegeta: “We can win! If the 3 of us fight together, we’ll be able to win somehow or another! [ ] It seems that even Freeza hasn’t noticed…These two’s battle power is steadily rising…"

So Gohan is above the level he started at. Krillin as well. And Gohan should get additional boosts from his near-death power-up. But both should still be below Piccolo's "over 1 million" by a lot. So I dunno, 600,000? 800,000? Around there. He didn't actually seem to be "rage-boosted" while attacking second form Freeza.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:55 am

Saiga wrote:Enraged Gohan was able to smack around suppressed 2nd form Freeza, and while not enraged his official battle power given was 200,000 at the start of the fight. However, he then got badly beaten by Freeza after his rage moment and was healed by Dende. At that point, Vegeta noted that his power rose a lot from that:

That "you've become strong... I'm happy" quote seems like a reference to the last thing Piccolo told Gohan as a mentor:

Chapter: 220 (DBZ 26), P3.2
Piccolo: “Be confident, Gohan. If you put your mind to it, your power surpasses mine.”

By channeling his anger, Gohan would be living up to that advice. It seems like he counts the so-called "rage boosts" as part of Gohan's regular power.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:59 am

Yeah. There are a few other lines that suggest that Gohan's rage works not by giving him a 'boost' but rather it just lets him use his power uninhibited by his emotions. In other words his 'regular' power is actually lowered by his docile nature and his rage-power is what he should 'normally' have access to. Not that it makes much difference, I guess.