Your Opinion of Pan In GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nikkolas
Regular

Your Opinion of Pan In GT?

Post by Nikkolas » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:10 pm

I really don’t understand what people have against her in GT... I am of course using the FUN dub because the voice-acting was great IN MY OPINION. If you disagree, sorry.

But just speaking of Pan’s character, I don’t see why people prefer her at the end of Z. At the end of Z, she had no character. She was cute and strong and....that’s it. No personality, nothing at all. There was no “potential” for her except to follow the old stereotype of a really strong kid which had been done to death in the DB Universe.

Also, why do people expect her to be even remotely the same between Z and GT? Do people think Start of DBZ Gohan (4 like Pan at the end of Z) was like Cell Games Gohan (he was 11, I think. Pan was 10 in GT)? This rings even more true for Pan because unlike Gohan, Goten and Trunks, she’s had a whole decade of life with peace. She had no need to go to other planets to save her friends or to enter another dimensional training room to fight to save the Earth. She was just a normal girl with a normal life with abnormal powers.

‘Sides, we don’t even know if she kept training after Goku left.

People also chastize her for her “weakness.” I say “....guh?” Do they expect a 10-14-year-old girl (depending on what you use) to be on par with people who make sport of Super Saiyan 3s and fight on par with SS4s? Oh yeah... I can really see Cell Gmaes Gohan doing better than Pan did against Baby Vegeta...lol.

Pan is weak by the absurdly high standards of GT...Just like if you put King Piccolo in DBZ. He’s nothing there, no matter how cosmic he was in DB.

Now for Pan’s actual personality...she’s a vibrant, carefree girl with a temper who likes to fight.
Sounds a lot like her Grandpa...you might know him. Goku? And her grandmother Chi-Chi as well with a bit of Grandfather Satan’s arrogance thrown in for flavor.

Goten and Trunks both shared a lot of their father’s traits (Goten being a cute clueless dopey kid and Trunks being arrogant) but Pan has really nothing in common with either of her parents. Pan often rushes into a fight whereas Gohan did almost everything he could to avoid fights...he was, even at the Cell Games, really dependent on his father. Videl also usually was a pretty serious person while Pan is anything but.

In conclusion, I like Pan in GT because she’s not there to be strong. She’s there to be there for Goku who often needed her encouragement for certain things like his SS4 transformation and when she was in danger he “Got Serious” so to speak. She was there to be the proverbial Life and Soul of the team. She was spunky, not afraid to fight anyone or to speak her mind. However, she was often shown to actively love and want to protect all the members of her family and her friends.

So...I just like her and found her very interesting.

Also, for those who can read Japanese or have seen translations of the Perfect Files, does it address why Pan isn’t a Super Saiyan?

P.S.
Nice to meet you all. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR A GOOD db FORUM AND i AM SURE i'VE FOUND ONE.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:18 pm

I've always viewed Pan as a stronger yet even more boring Videl (Sorry Videl fans)

She doesn't anger me or anything, but like Videl she's always going to be a character I pay very little attention to.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: Your Opinion of Pan In GT?

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:10 pm

Nikkolas wrote:I really don’t understand what people have against her in GT... I am of course using the FUN dub because the voice-acting was great IN MY OPINION. If you disagree, sorry.

But just speaking of Pan’s character, I don’t see why people prefer her at the end of Z. At the end of Z, she had no character. She was cute and strong and....that’s it. No personality, nothing at all. There was no “potential” for her except to follow the old stereotype of a really strong kid which had been done to death in the DB Universe.

Also, why do people expect her to be even remotely the same between Z and GT? Do people think Start of DBZ Gohan (4 like Pan at the end of Z) was like Cell Games Gohan (he was 11, I think. Pan was 10 in GT)? This rings even more true for Pan because unlike Gohan, Goten and Trunks, she’s had a whole decade of life with peace. She had no need to go to other planets to save her friends or to enter another dimensional training room to fight to save the Earth. She was just a normal girl with a normal life with abnormal powers.

‘Sides, we don’t even know if she kept training after Goku left.

People also chastize her for her “weakness.” I say “....guh?” Do they expect a 10-14-year-old girl (depending on what you use) to be on par with people who make sport of Super Saiyan 3s and fight on par with SS4s? Oh yeah... I can really see Cell Gmaes Gohan doing better than Pan did against Baby Vegeta...lol.

Pan is weak by the absurdly high standards of GT...Just like if you put King Piccolo in DBZ. He’s nothing there, no matter how cosmic he was in DB.

Now for Pan’s actual personality...she’s a vibrant, carefree girl with a temper who likes to fight.
Sounds a lot like her Grandpa...you might know him. Goku? And her grandmother Chi-Chi as well with a bit of Grandfather Satan’s arrogance thrown in for flavor.

Goten and Trunks both shared a lot of their father’s traits (Goten being a cute clueless dopey kid and Trunks being arrogant) but Pan has really nothing in common with either of her parents. Pan often rushes into a fight whereas Gohan did almost everything he could to avoid fights...he was, even at the Cell Games, really dependent on his father. Videl also usually was a pretty serious person while Pan is anything but.

In conclusion, I like Pan in GT because she’s not there to be strong. She’s there to be there for Goku who often needed her encouragement for certain things like his SS4 transformation and when she was in danger he “Got Serious” so to speak. She was there to be the proverbial Life and Soul of the team. She was spunky, not afraid to fight anyone or to speak her mind. However, she was often shown to actively love and want to protect all the members of her family and her friends.

Also, for those who can read Japanese or have seen translations of the Perfect Files, does it address why Pan isn’t a Super Saiyan?

P.S.
Nice to meet you all. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR A GOOD db FORUM AND i AM SURE i'VE FOUND ONE.
Exactly, I never known why Pan's hated, actually she's my favorite GT character next to SSJ4 Son Goku and Yi Xing Long [Omega Shenron].

I thought the FUNi voice was pretty good, considering FUNi changed her age by 4.5-5 years.

Pan couldn't become a Super Saiya-jin [Saiyan] because, she never reached the Anger point the Male Saiya-jin, another reason was that Toei gave was her blood was diluted too much... But that's complete crap... since Goku Jr. has no problem becoming an SSJ as his blood is even more diluted. But the real reason Toriyama explained was " I wouldn't know what to make a Female Super Saiya-jin to look like, so Pan and Bra cannot become SSJ" or something along the lines of that.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:40 pm

She always pissed me off because she's insanely bitchy like Chi-Chi. But the difference between her and Chi-Chi is, Chi-Chi isn't shown as often. Youy get a little Chi-Chi bitchiness here and there for flavor and it's funny. But every Episode for like the first 20-25 Episodes of GT was just constant bitching by her to no end. I wish Goten blasted off with Trunks & Goku.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:46 pm

I find absolutely nothing endearing about Pan, her character is that of a spoiled child who does almost nothing outside of complaining and crying. Truthfully you could stick any number of characters in her spot, and they would have made for a more entertaining program (Goku/Trunks/Mr. Boo as a traveling trio would have been awesome).

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:53 pm

We already got a whole saga full of Goten..of course we got about 10 billion sagas full of Goku but that's to be expected.
I think it was good Pan got "time to shine" in GT. She was the least developed Goku family member at the end of Z.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:54 pm

Kodoshin wrote:Truthfully you could stick any number of characters in her spot, and they would have made for a more entertaining program (Goku/Trunks/Mr. Boo as a traveling trio would have been awesome).
I wonder if we could petition FUNi to insert Mr. Boo over the top of Pan throughout the entirety of GT during their "Remaster" :P

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:She always pissed me off because she's insanely bitchy like Chi-Chi. But the difference between her and Chi-Chi is, Chi-Chi isn't shown as often. Youy get a little Chi-Chi bitchiness here and there for flavor and it's funny. But every Episode for like the first 20-25 Episodes of GT was just constant bitching by her to no end. I wish Goten blasted off with Trunks & Goku.
This sums it up for me too.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:19 pm

I think she's a whiny PMS bitch in GT, has that temper...but unlike Chichi (who i happen to find more tolerable) - in a bratty sort of way - in that sense more like Bulma in an exaggerated way. i don't find her particularly likable in GT, and she plays too much of a central role..
Just Saiyan...

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Your Opinion of Pan In GT?

Post by Kid Trunks » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:35 pm

Nikkolas wrote:I really don’t understand what people have against her in GT... I am of course using the FUN dub because the voice-acting was great IN MY OPINION. If you disagree, sorry.
I hear that shes less annoying in the Japanese version, due to voice acting. But that'll never stop me hating the bitch.
Nikkolas wrote:But just speaking of Pan’s character, I don’t see why people prefer her at the end of Z. At the end of Z, she had no character. She was cute and strong and....that’s it. No personality, nothing at all.
THAT is exactly why people prefer her at the end of Z, because she had no personality. Her personality in GT is horrible. She constantly complains, gets herself into trouble all the time (and then starts screaming "Granpaaa!"), blames everyone for everything that happens(often, things that are her own fault), and the list goes on.
Nikkolas wrote:There was no “potential” for her except to follow the old stereotype of a really strong kid which had been done to death in the DB Universe.

Yes, but that was Goku. Only Goku. Maybe if they focused on Pan (like with Gohan) a little more, and gave her some real meaning she would have been less annoying, but I can't say for sure. As it is, she serves little to no purpose (except when she causes Goku to turn Ssj4).
Nikkolas wrote:Also, why do people expect her to be even remotely the same between Z and GT? Do people think Start of DBZ Gohan (4 like Pan at the end of Z) was like Cell Games Gohan (he was 11, I think. Pan was 10 in GT)?

Why wouldn't people expect her to be relatively similar to the way she was in Z? She is after all the same character. Gohan is quite similar in the Cell Games to the way he was in the beginning. And if he was different in anyway, the differences occurred in a way that made sense.
Nikkolas wrote:This rings even more true for Pan because unlike Gohan, Goten and Trunks, she’s had a whole decade of life with peace. She had no need to go to other planets to save her friends or to enter another dimensional training room to fight to save the Earth. She was just a normal girl with a normal life with abnormal powers.
Goten, Goku, Krillin, Trunks, Chi Chi etc wern't all assholes as kids. And none of them had to deal with much as children.
Nikkolas wrote:‘Sides, we don’t even know if she kept training after Goku left.
People also chastize her for her “weakness.” I say “....guh?” Do they expect a 10-14-year-old girl (depending on what you use) to be on par with people who make sport of Super Saiyan 3s and fight on par with SS4s?
I agree for the most part, since we never really saw her train or anything.

Nikkolas wrote:Oh yeah... I can really see Cell Gmaes Gohan doing better than Pan did against Baby Vegeta...lol.
I'm not sure if your saying that Pan is stonger than Ssj2 Gohan, but i would have to absolutely disagree with you if you are.
Nikkolas wrote:Pan is weak by the absurdly high standards of GT...Just like if you put King Piccolo in DBZ. He’s nothing there, no matter how cosmic he was in DB.
True.
Nikkolas wrote:Now for Pan’s actual personality...she’s a vibrant, carefree girl with a temper who likes to fight.
No. She is agressive, stubborn and has a vicious temper. And to me, shows little signs of being carefree.
Nikkolas wrote:Sounds a lot like her Grandpa...you might know him. Goku?
No. No way. I don't know how you can make such a comparison.
Nikkolas wrote:And her grandmother Chi-Chi as well with a bit of Grandfather Satan’s arrogance thrown in for flavor.
I can agree with that.
Nikkolas wrote:Goten and Trunks both shared a lot of their father’s traits (Goten being a cute clueless dopey kid and Trunks being arrogant) but Pan has really nothing in common with either of her parents. Pan often rushes into a fight whereas Gohan did almost everything he could to avoid fights...he was, even at the Cell Games, really dependent on his father. Videl also usually was a pretty serious person while Pan is anything but.
So why didn't Pan show any traits from her Gohan? He was shy and quiet. Pan definately shows some of her mothers feistyness (if thats a word) , but thats all Videl was, feisty. Not a bitch. And after a few episodes, Videl wasn't even that. It doesn't make sense that Pan would become such a bitch (but GT doesn't make sense ofcourse).

And just to go off topic a little, I think people have overrated Trunks "assholeness". A little cocky a times maybe. But thats it. Never a jerk or anything like it.

Nikkolas wrote:In conclusion, I like Pan in GT because she’s not there to be strong. She’s there to be there for Goku who often needed her encouragement for certain things like his SS4 transformation and when she was in danger he “Got Serious” so to speak. She was there to be the proverbial Life and Soul of the team. She was spunky, not afraid to fight anyone or to speak her mind. However, she was often shown to actively love and want to protect all the members of her family and her friends.

Thats a very kind way of describing her. But if you like thats fine.

Thats a very kind way of describing her. I could argue against that (except for the Ssj4 part), but I would be repeating what I said earlier. But if you like her, thats fine.

Don't mean to seem like I'm forcing my opinion or anything, thats just how I feel about her. But hey, my favorite character is kid Trunks, and a lot of people hate him :P

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:39 pm

Just popping in (preemptively) to say that we need to remember to be kind to one another and respect opinions (let's try not to tear apart others' posts just for the sake of doing so), and also please remember to type correctly at all times. Thanks!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:12 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
Kodoshin wrote:Truthfully you could stick any number of characters in her spot, and they would have made for a more entertaining program (Goku/Trunks/Mr. Boo as a traveling trio would have been awesome).
I wonder if we could petition FUNi to insert Mr. Boo over the top of Pan throughout the entirety of GT during their "Remaster" :P
Maybe EX could release some Episodes of GT like that just like he did to Launch in that Saiyan Saga picture. *Laughs at the Piccolo head*
*Dodges rocks*

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:23 am

THAT is exactly why people prefer her at the end of Z, because she had no personality. Her personality in GT is horrible. She constantly complains, gets herself into trouble all the time (and then starts screaming "Granpaaa!"), blames everyone for everything that happens(often, things that are her own fault), and the list goes on.
So...she’s immature?
Who’d had ever thunk a ten-year-old be immature?
But you see, since its not immature in the “DB way”, ie. Playful cluelesness as shown in Goku, Goten and Trunks, some “fans” don’t like it.

She’s a breath of fresh air from all the other DB kids for me.
Also, as I’ve said, she’s had a dramatically different upbringing.
Yes, but that was Goku. Only Goku. Maybe if they focused on Pan (like with Gohan) a little more, and gave her some real meaning she would have been less annoying, but I can't say for sure. As it is, she serves little to no purpose (except when she causes Goku to turn Ssj4).
I don’t recall Bulma serving any purpose in DB except to whine and help make the audience laugh when Goku’s stupidity/ignorance came into contact with her teenage girlish-ness.

Gohan was a Plot Device.
Why wouldn't people expect her to be relatively similar to the way she was in Z? She is after all the same character. Gohan is quite similar in the Cell Games to the way he was in the beginning. And if he was different in anyway, the differences occurred in a way that made sense.
Gohan is different because he’s undergone several fights, trained and while not totally different, still not the scared little brat he was at 4. He’ll actively make himself get out and fight as opposed to cry for ten minutes before.

Pan? She didn’t have to fight in different planets; wasn’t raised in the wild by Piccolo and “toughened up”. She was a normal girl with a normal life
As I say, the only Saiyan kid we see who grew up as long as she did in peace time.
Goten, Goku, Krillin, Trunks, Chi Chi etc wern't all assholes as kids. And none of them had to deal with much as children.
What?
Goku fought an army.
Chi-Chi fought dinosaurs.
Gohan fought FRIEZA.
Goten and Trunks fought Majin Buu......

I don’t remember Pan ever having to do anything like this before GT started.
I'm not sure if your saying that Pan is stonger than Ssj2 Gohan, but i would have to absolutely disagree with you if you are.
I’m not. I’m just saying even Gohan at her age, who was stronger than Pan, would be just as useless as Pan against the GT Villains.
No. She is agressive, stubborn and has a vicious temper. And to me, shows little signs of being carefree.
Well...carefree means reckless and generally not thinking too much about anything; you’re free of responsibility.
I feel that applies to Pan.
No. No way. I don't know how you can make such a comparison.
You’re saying Goku doesn’t like to fight?
That is what I said she shares in common with Goku. Or what I meant anyway.
So why didn't Pan show any traits from her Gohan? He was shy and quiet. Pan definately shows some of her mothers feistyness (if thats a word) , but thats all Videl was, feisty. Not a bitch. And after a few episodes, Videl wasn't even that. It doesn't make sense that Pan would become such a bitch (but GT doesn't make sense ofcourse).
I have no idea why she’s not like Gohan.
She’s just more like her grandparents.
Thats a very kind way of describing her. I could argue against that (except for the Ssj4 part), but I would be repeating what I said earlier. But if you like her, thats fine.

Don't mean to seem like I'm forcing my opinion or anything, thats just how I feel about her. But hey, my favorite character is kid Trunks, and a lot of people hate him
Well, Goku in all DB is very....light-hearted. At times he’s driven serious but damn, even when fighting Kid Buu, when the fate of the universe was at stake, he and Vegeta played Rock, Paper, Scissors....
Pan was a plot device if you will because when Goku’s Pan Danger senses were tingling, he got more serious from what I can tell.

And it’s fine if you like Kid Trunks. Whichever character you like most is your decision alone to make.
Just its also your right to defend that character against attacks like you do with Trunks and I do with Pan. ^^

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:38 am

SaiyaMel wrote:I think she's a whiny PMS bitch in GT, has that temper...but unlike Chichi (who i happen to find more tolerable) - in a bratty sort of way - in that sense more like Bulma in an exaggerated way. i don't find her particularly likable in GT, and she plays too much of a central role..
This.

I've heard it said on here, that the early part of GT is supposed to be like the old Dragonball-hunting section of the series. That's where the problem is.

The original Dragonball hunt was twelve episodes, then Miss Bitch fell off the radar until her small part as an observer at the Budokai. She doesn't get a major role until the eight or so episodes with the pirate cave. Then she gets shunted into the background again.

Even with DBZ's glacial pace (actually, that is very unfair to glaciers, as even the continents move faster than anime DBZ), Bulma's Namek Dragonball hunt lasts eight episodes before they shove her into a cave and forget about her.

In GT, we get forty episodes straight of Pan before she stops being a secondary character. Then there's 23 more episodes where she's still 'always present'.

She's not really any worse than Bulma ever was, but one just doesn't get a break from her at all.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:39 am

Nikkolas wrote:
Kid Trunks wrote:Goten, Goku, Krillin, Trunks, Chi Chi etc wern't all assholes as kids. And none of them had to deal with much as children.
What?
Goku fought an army.
Chi-Chi fought dinosaurs.
Gohan fought Freeza.
Goten and Trunks fought Majin Buu......

I don’t remember Pan ever having to do anything like this before GT started.
But when we first see Goku, Trunks, Goten and Chi Chi (maybe not Krillin)
they have never done any of that stuff either. And they were all nice.
Nikkolas wrote:And it’s fine if you like Kid Trunks. Whichever character you like most is your decision alone to make.
Just its also your right to defend that character against attacks like you do with Trunks and I do with Pan. ^^
Cool. After reading that, I decided I'm not going to argue with anything else because you, like myself, will defend a character you like to the end. I've defended Trunks enough times to realize that it can get tiresome constantly trying to explain yourself. So I will leave you in peace and get off your case about it :P

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:52 am

So...she’s immature?
Who’d had ever thunk a ten-year-old be immature?
But you see, since its not immature in the “DB way”, ie. Playful cluelesness as shown in Goku, Goten and Trunks, some “fans” don’t like it.
Trunks? Present Trunks was spoiled too. Actually Kid Trunks is similar to Pan except in the way that he acts that way in moderation and has a bit of depth to him. Pan is 1-dimensional and never shuts up. Pan is far from a breath of fresh air for me...She's just plain annoying. I hate annoying bratty kid characters in everything. Not just DragonBall. Not just Anime. I'll be watching Cosby or Full House and want to punch one of the little kids. Bratty kids to me is not cute and not funny. Just annoying.
*Dodges rocks*

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:13 am

Pan was at least as in-depth as Kid Trunks..though neither did much except be DB Kids ie. act immature and fight a lot. Trunks did it in his own Vegeta-ish way while Pan did it in her hybrid Goku/Chi-Chi/Satan way.
Both children's love for their parents was repeatedly shown.
Admittedly though, Pan never goofed off after her family and freinds were eaten.....
Pan was not annoying to me. Her Bitchiness is completely blown out of proportion and it totally dies down in between Episode 20 and 30.

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:16 am

In my opinion Pan was much cooler in DBZ. In GT she never really impressed me that much. But the DBZ Pan is this tiny little kid who kicks some serious ass in the Tenkaichi Budokai. I have always preferred that depiction of Pan far more. Perhaps, this is because I see the other pan as filler. But, to sort of echo the thoughts of many others on this thread, GT Pan is too whiny and spoiled. In closing DBZ Pan kicks ass! As for GT Pan... well...meh.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:34 am

I don't really hate Pan in GT, but I do have some issues with her characterization. At the end of Z, she was cute and innocent, like her father and paternal grandfather, while in GT, she's more like her mother and paternal grandmother.

It's almost like she and Trunks had their Z personalities switched. I would have enjoyed her character a lot more had she been sort of a feminine version of the Son boys instead of Aggressive Female #6. It would've been a little different than what we've previously seen, and a lot more endearing.
Rocketman wrote:She's not really any worse than Bulma ever was, but one just doesn't get a break from her at all.
I kind of agree with that, but I also think that Buruma was a little more "tolerable" because she had sarcastic foils, like Oolong, and to a lesser extent, Kuririn. Pan had no such thing. Gokuu's a moron, Trunks is polite, and Gill inexplicably dotes on her.
-Rachel

Alice
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Alice » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:55 am

It's not her character so much that I dislike, though its not a especially unique character, she's just a little bit... frustrating. They came so, so close to having one female character that was a competent fighter and fully participated. The potential was all there, at the end of Z. But no - she's just a spectator and not all that useful, and ends up in pretty much the same role as every other female character. So, the character doesn't bother me so much as the missed opportunity for a much better and more memorable character.
[size=75]"If television's a babysitter, the internet's a drunk librarian who won't shut up."[/size]