Aspects of Dragonball Fandom that Piss You Off

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:18 am

Kid Trunks wrote:
Taku128 wrote:I hate when people deny that DB/Z/GT is a kids series, beit in Japan or America. If its an adult series then why am I forced to sit through commercials for "Zoids" and "TekDek Dudes" whenever I want to watch movie 9?
I geuss Dragonball is just a kids series that attracts adults, the same way The Simpsons is actually an adult series that attracts kids.
Or like American comic book superhero's such as Spiderman,Superman,Captain America etc.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:07 am

NeptuneKai wrote:Or like American comic book superhero's such as Spiderman,Superman,Captain America etc.
Eh, those series are mostly written for the adult crowd nowadays. How many kids read Spider-man today?

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:30 am

I dunno if this is a pet peeve towards the fandom or what...but why do so many hatee the DBGT FUN dub?
It's got te exact same VAs for all the characters as Z. All that is different is the music.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:33 am

Nikkolas wrote:I dunno if this is a pet peeve towards the fandom or what...but why do so many hatee the DBGT FUN dub?
It's got te exact same VAs for all the characters as Z. All that is different is the music.
Well, Menza's music is rather horrible, but that aside, I'm guessing it was because the show itself wasn't anywhere near as good as Z, and it goes without saying, but the people that hated Funi's DBZ dub hate the DBGT dub just as much if not more.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:37 am

I know GT isn't as good as Z but even horrible shows can have topnotch dubbing.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:50 am

Nikkolas wrote:I know GT isn't as good as Z but even horrible shows can have topnotch dubbing.
..Which GT didn't

Funi's FMA dub is top notch, I don't consider the GT dub to be even acceptable.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:21 am

Then you hate the Z dub as well?
I don't see why.
If you hated the Ocean dub its understandalbe but FUN did a great job in VAs, IMO...

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:06 am

I don't really want to get into this, I watch the original Japanese version, I think neither Funi nor Ocean (though Ocean did a great job in a few places DBZ movie 1 for instance) are proper Dragonball dubs.

More on topic, this reminds me of something that bugs me about the fanbase, I hate it when people assume that just because you don't like the Funimation dub, they jump on their high horses and condemn the crap out of the Ocean dub..before you can even say "I uh..watch the original Japanese version.."

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:24 am

Adamant wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:Or like American comic book superhero's such as Spiderman,Superman,Captain America etc.
Eh, those series are mostly written for the adult crowd nowadays. How many kids read Spider-man today?

Right but back when they were originally made it was intended for the children, the story then proceeded to get a huge adult following. See where I was going with this?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:28 am

Apparently we're not part of the same Universe because I am suddenly under an impression that you live under a rock. Go to YouTube, there are Broly Tributes out the a**. DiviantART has pics out the a**. Broly Usernames are big too, even Broly threads. There are TONS of them on the MFG forums.
I will admit that there are a lot of ignorant idiots that somehow think he could take SSJ4 Gogeta. But those are still outnumbered, 10 to 1, by the bashing.
One thing I don't tolerate is rudeness, and that was rude. And since you were rude to me, I'll return the courtesy:
I also see that sarcasm is lost on you. :P
Something tells me someone enjoys wollowing in a fantasy where they physically become their favorite cartoon character. I wonder if the person in question has the voice down too.
No. I don't personally cosplay. I don't have the money for it (it is very expensive to make a good costume), I don't have any cons to wear a costume to, and nor do I really think I look enough like any of my favorite characters to be able to do a cosplay of them.

I do, however, write fanfiction. Tons and tons and tons of fanfiction. 600,000+ words posted to FFnet so far and plenty of stories still in the planning phase. I also like to collect (though seldom can) figures/statues/etc of characters I like. Such as my Conker plushie or my KOS-MOS statue. I also own all of the PS2 DBZ games with the exception of Super DBZ which I have yet to acquire (curse you, US postal service!), none of which I will trade or sell as, to me, they count toward my 'collecting' of DBZ merchindise.

You see, people enjoy expanding their experience of things they like, and many have different ways of doing so. Some fans like to get posters to plaster the walls with. Some like to own all of the books/comics/episodes/whatever of what they like. Some enjoy collecting figures. Some prefer to make art. Some like to make cosplay costumes, or dress up as their favorite characters on occasion. Some post to messageboards to talk about whatever it is. Some like making fanfiction. Some like making games. Or running/playing fan made RPGs.

In the end, though, it all comes down to the very same thing. Getting involved with what you like. There's no difference between the person who spends 30 minutes a day drawing fanart and the person who spends 2 hours a week on a message board or the person that spends $100 a month importing figures from Japan or the one that does cosplay at conventions or anything else.

Is little Jimmy obsessive because he's got Spider-Man bedsheets, Spider-Man PJs, Spider-Man posters on his wall, all the Spider-Man movies and games, and went Trick-or-Treating last Halloween as Spider-Man? No, he just enjoys Spider-Man. And there's nothing wrong with that.

You want to call me rude but you're the one that made the blanket statement that those who search on-line for things or import figures or cosplay are over-obsessed people who would sooner spend their money on their fandom than their bills. I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone like that, and I know plenty of people you would consider 'obsessed'.

But hey, maybe enjoying something makes you obsessive. Maybe being interesting makes you obsessive. Maybe being interested in more than just 'a couple rare figures that you just happen to come by' makes you obsessive. If that's the case, then everyone on this board is obsessed, yourself included.

(Oh, and for the record, it's spelt wallowing) :wink:
Not to mention a personality and redeeming qualities. Brolly is every negative stereotype about DBZ put into one character.
Broly's issue is that he's too complicated for your standard, typical, DBZ bad-guy. But that's what happens when you delve into things like psychosis. Things get complicated. I will admit, however, that Movie 10 Broly is as stereo-typcial villain as you can get. They really dumbed down and pretty much killed everything that made him interesting in Movie 8. :?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:42 am

I think this is a bad idea, but I for some reason feel obligated to mention that this is vaguely on topic...

The thing about Broli being understandable... most people that give Broli a second glance aren't interested in the psycosis (and probably have short attention spans). Really, there are only two reasons I've really stopped to reconsider his depth... one being Xyex giving a much better explanation for Broli's condition than "lol Goku wouldnt stfu", and the other being that I was rather impressed with how he was used in an RPG?... though that was... wow, a couple years ago now? (Questionmark intentional. :P).

... What is life, anyway?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:52 am

....Broly is the American Super Saiyan, he's fanbase was bound to be what it is todayBut an aspect of the fandom that I'm not a fan of is the fact that people treat it like...politics. :? If you like something a certain way, people will go: “oh, you’re a dubbie” but if you like it another way, they'll say: “oh, you’re an otaku/nerd”. People need to get over it, it’s hardly as bad as the Naruto fanbase (and that’s saying a lot)…
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:26 pm

People like Broly because he has a truly badass transformation scene.
At least the American version.
The Pantera theme was perfect in every way for that moment.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:16 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Adamant wrote:

Right but back when they were originally made it was intended for the children, the story then proceeded to get a huge adult following. See where I was going with this?
That's true, but there's still a difference. Where they're both comics originally written for children that got popular among adults as well, Dragonball stayed a children's series all the way through, while the Marvel comics started gearing the scripts towards adults when it was realized that they are pretty much the only ones buying these things today anyway. The books CAN be read by children, sure (but Marvel makes sure to slap those "intended for ages X+" labels on all their books nowadays) but the core audience the writers really have in mind are the continuity-obsessed 30-year olds who have read the books since their childhood. Sure, Marvel has a couple comics running that are geared towards the younger crowd, like those Marvel Adventures things, but the core books haven't been so for 15-20 years or so.

(Should be said that I greatly prefer those classic Stan Lee stories from the 60s to most of the stuff they release nowadays, though)

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:09 am

I don't know where it was but I know one of those "elitist anime fans". You know the ones that look down on DB but praise titles and things like Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Yeah guys like them piss me off even worse than people that are in the fandom.

The guy I know that fits into this category is just a melodramatic idiot about DB related stuff but he treats everything else in anime with some sort of respect even crap like Bobobobobo. Here's an instance that happened a while ago that still pisses me off.

Somehow somebody said something like the DBZ dub being underrated. Everybody said that it could have been better. But he waltzes into the conversation like Jesus rising from the grave and says,

"I prefer the dub. I can't stand Goku's voice in Japanese. That and DBZ is plotless so I really don't mind about the script changes, I wouldn't be missing anything anyway. I'd rather listen to a bad script read well than a good script read in a manner that I can't take seriously. So there."

I say to him,

"(Sarcastically) Yeah DBZ is plotless I mean I could start watching at the 154th episode and understand everything that's going on. I can even start at Z and not watch Dragonball and get things amirite?

How does your superficial dislike of Goku's voice in Japanese change all of the errors, mistakes, and poor script and voice choices? You go around saying things like Outlaw Star is how anime should be dubbed and then you say that one of the worst dubs in the industry is suddenly good because you don't like one voice? You've really got some explaining to do on that one."

He says,

"I don't know why my personal preference bothers you. I just can't stand his voice in Japanese. Simple as that."

I say,

"I never said anything about how 'wrong' it is for you to watch DBZ dubbed you did. Now answer my question."

He says,

"Well Goku is this tough macho badass and then when he talks in Japanese he sounds so gay. I mean when I see a big guy like him I think of a tough badass."

I say,

"Well that's the thing, Goku isn't a kick ass take names superhero only the dub portrays that and how do you explain most of the times when he's not in battle. Is he still this tough SOB there?"

He replies,

All of those moments when Goku acts stupid are done for comedic value because he's a big guy. If they were done with a scrawny guy, then it wouldn't be funny. And yeah he is a tough SOB! I've seen him punch people though mountains, and he can go toe to toe with Superman. Aren't I supposed to think of a tough SOB voice rather than a girly sounding voice?"

I say,

But he doesn't sound like a girl. Not that Mazako Nozawa makes him sound like a manly man but if you put her voice on female characters it'd sound really weird. You'd think that the woman with Nozawa's voice sounded like a guy. Which is why she voiced mostly male characters back then."

He says,

"No I wouldn't I'd think it'd still sound like a girl. It'd probably be more fitting too"

I say because I'm getting really frustrated,

"Look, I already know that don't watch this anime outside of Youtube clips and whichever of the early DBZ movies you saw you saw 9 years ago. So why the fuck does it matter to you what he sounds like? The dub is terrible, and you as an anime fan should see that rather than prancing around like Jesus and convincing everybody that your opinion is fact"

He replies,

Well if you'd remove your head from your fanboy ass then you could probably come up with a better answer than that. Goku is a macho badass. You watch this he does stuff that I wouldn't see somebody with his Japanese voice doing the things he does."

By this point I didn't know if I wanted to continue talking to him or if I should just fucking beat his ass for being so retarded. Then he says,

"Look as I said don't take DBZ seriously. If I have to watch a power-up sequence that lasts for X amount of episodes and it sounds like a bear passing in the woods then I don't think I should. Especially since there are things like talking animals and dinosaurs running around with humans"

I don't know if it was because I by now I was pissed at him for saying what he said but I dropped out of this retarded debated by saying,

"Look I consider Dragonball as a shounen classic. It's nobodies fault but your own that you can't like it. My problem with you is that if you can watch something as nonsensical as Ranma 1/2(his favorite anime) and take it seriously then watch Dragonball and find ways to make fun of it in both the dub and the sub, then you are clearly being an elitist bastard that has nothing better to do with his time other than making fun of other people from liking something that you never will. Just take your elitist attitude to hell along with yourself. At least there I wouldn't be bothered with you while you're down there."

The sad thing about him is, he fits all of the stereotypes of an elitist anime fan so well it's like a nightmare trying to talk to him. The guy's got a really superiority complex problem too which, I guess, is why he never backed down either. Go figure. I hate those guys. Thought I'd share that.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:21 am

I think that a lot of people don't stay in Dragonball and Dragonball Z. I think a lot of people branch out and discover series of anime and manga that are more serious and more of the mature level. Laugh if you want but right now I am really taking an interest in Death Note, which is in my humble opinion better than Dragonball. If my opinion is to be seen as "elitist" than so be it, because I don't care at all. To "mature out" of some stuff that is undeniably "kiddie" is a thing to be admired and not condemned. Plus, Dragonball has too much of a less in the way of real fans of the Japanese version. Even at this website the so called bastation of the subbie fandom, has more dub fans and it seems the fandom is changing from what it was. I am saying this and this is big because I for one hate the little "State of the Fandom" addresses every person feels needs to be given as if they are the self elected president of the fandom. The fans han chingado* the series and ruined it.

*In case you don't speak Spanish and don't speak Mexican Spanish this is akin to the other word for this which is coger. You can look up both and find out what they mean, but I don't want to say it out loud for the sake of the Children. We must think about the CHILDREN for GOD'S SAKE!
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:53 am

I had no problems with anything you said until I got to:
To "mature out" of some stuff that is undeniably "kiddie" is a thing to be admired and not condemned.
That's not something to be 'admired' in the least. That's the elitest idiot way of thinking. Just because you're 90 years old doesn't mean you can't sit down and watch Dragonball or Pokemon or anything else aimed and intended for kids, and enjoy it. The day someone is 'too mature' for a kids show is the day they're too immature to call themselves an adult.

I'm 23, I love Naruto, Dragonball, Pokemon, Digimon, Sailormoon and Super Sentai/Power Rangers and a lot more. I don't admire anyone who thinks they're too mature to watch a kids show. I feel nothing for them but pity. That is the epitome of immaturity.

This doesn't mean you can't like adult things too. And it doesn't mean you can't like them more. I'm a big fan of a lot of things aimed toward older/adult audiences. One of my favorite animes is Monster which is very much meant for the 18+ crowd. But I'm not so elitist or childish as to assume that just because I'm an adult shows meant for kids aren't mature enough for me or are beneath me.

*cough*

Yeah, sorry for the rant. But that entire concept just irks me to no end.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:09 am

Xyex wrote:Lots of things
I couldn't agree more, I think it takes a little bit of maturity to unleash the inner kid, I pity those too caught up in what is considered the social "norm" and what others think of them.

I'm 20 and I have hundreds of dvd's 90% of which are cartoons, none of my friends are even remotely interested in any form of animation, which is fine, but what I can't stand is when someone demeans my love of cartoons (it's a big shelf in my house, it's hard to miss :P), then turns around and starts raving about the latest (and always short lived) generic fad in tv/music/whatever and how much they love it, then in a matter of weeks condemns it because it's not "cool" anymore.

Now that to me is childish.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Aspects of Dragonball Fandom that Piss You Off

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:58 am

AnzuMazaki wrote:Wnhat aspects of the Sragonball fandom piss you off or annoy you

Is it the dubbies, is it because your favourite charqacter is bashed or is it because a couple or character that you don't like is too popular.

Discuss anything here
Your spelling and this thread pisses me off.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Aspects of Dragonball Fandom that Piss You Off

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:35 pm

sangofe wrote:
AnzuMazaki wrote:Wnhat aspects of the Sragonball fandom piss you off or annoy you

Is it the dubbies, is it because your favourite charqacter is bashed or is it because a couple or character that you don't like is too popular.

Discuss anything here
Your spelling and this thread pisses me off.
Then don't read it.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."