Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeartMachine3578

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:39 am

Chuquita wrote:
HeartMachine3578 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I guess there isn't anything substantially different about the light novel version of the Brolly movie? No one's said much about it outside of a few tweets from Herms.
Yeah the only thing I picked up from it so far is that the light novel confirms Super Saiyan Broly no longer bothered trying to hurt Frieza once he beat him up enough and he detected was no longer any form a threat.

I think that's very curious.

But yeah, I was hoping to get more from the light novel.
So Brolli doesn't fight to kill, only until he's subdued his opponent? News to me. The tweets I read were about how Paragas 'repeatedly courted death by chopping off Brolli's tail each time it regrew'.

Wait.....What? I never heard of this, can you give me a link? Damn this tricky light novel and its hidden secrets lol
Last edited by HeartMachine3578 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:53 am

HeartMachine3578 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
HeartMachine3578 wrote: Yeah the only thing I picked up from it so far is that the light novel confirms Super Saiyan Broly no longer bothered trying to hurt Frieza once he beat him up enough and he detected was no longer any form a threat.

I think that's very curious.

But yeah, I was hoping to get more from the light novel.
So Brolli doesn't fight to kill, only until he's subdued his opponent? News to me. The tweets I read were about how Paragas 'repeatedly courted death by chopping off Brolli's tail each time it regrew'.

Wait.....What? I never heard of this, can you give me a link? Damn this tricky light novel and its hidden secrets lol
Here's the source: https://mobile.twitter.com/Cipher_db/st ... 0925633537
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:16 am

Chuquita wrote:
HeartMachine3578 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

Thanks for the link! Had trouble finding it myself. Think I'm gonna spend the next few minutes hunting down extra info.

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:19 am

Chuquita wrote:
HeartMachine3578 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

In case you were curious what I mentioned before was from the same source(meaning I'm really need to get better at searching lol)
https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/10 ... 6686850048

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:43 am

HeartMachine3578 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
HeartMachine3578 wrote:

In case you were curious what I mentioned before was from the same source(meaning I'm really need to get better at searching lol)
Many thanks! I hope Shueisha talks about the cut content somehow/someday.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:28 am

Chuquita wrote:
HeartMachine3578 wrote:

Many thanks! I hope Shueisha talks about the cut content somehow/someday.
No problem!
And same here, I imagine when the movies releases digitally sometime next year we might get a little more. Or maybe even at jump fiesta if they announce a new series and it decides to do a retelling.

Honestly this is the one movie released recently for the series that I actually think needs to have a good chunk added on to it to fill the blanks.

Personally I wanna see another scene between Broly and Paragus

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:19 am

I would prefer if the next serie jumped up to new material, with this movie getting an extra 20 minutes as Battle of Gods did for the home release. 20 minutes is probably enough to add some of the most meaningful cut material.
The movie is directed and animated perfectly, I wouldn’t like risking a tv retelling to do more harm than good.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:24 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:My thoughts exactly. People act like Movie 10 Broly is the only one. Movie 8 Broly wasn’t that most complex but he had more personality than just screaming Kakarotto.
True that and from what I heard from this movie the only bit of personality that this Broly has is when he is on his Base form, which is very unfortunate. When he is about to fight Goku and Vegeta and finally turn into LSSJ he's just a beast that howls.

Remember Movie 8 Broly? Laughing like a maniac, trashtalking to his enemies, threatening their lives? Super Broly might just be a boring fest, a caricature of what made the original character so popular at the first place.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:58 am

Noah wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:My thoughts exactly. People act like Movie 10 Broly is the only one. Movie 8 Broly wasn’t that most complex but he had more personality than just screaming Kakarotto.
True that and from what I heard from this movie the only bit of personality that this Broly has is when he is on his Base form, which is very unfortunate. When he is about to fight Goku and Vegeta and finally turn into LSSJ he's just a beast that howls.

Remember Movie 8 Broly? Laughing like a maniac, trashtalking to his enemies, threatening their lives? Super Broly might just be a boring fest, a caricature of what made the original character so popular at the first place.
I mean, his base form is what he truly is, the entire point is that because of how his father had been treating him all those years, he lost control and became a hulking raging beast, something he never wanted to be.

So narratively it's perfectly fine.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:24 am

Zelvin wrote: Uhh, the Manga is vastly different from the anime. Different sets of events, different abilities used by the characters, different background and lore concerning characters. It is literally just Toyotaro's interpretation of things. It's completely separate from the Anime and there are tons of contradictions. It's not inaccurate to call it Toyo's headcanon.

And you know there's probably a reason why he's not re-telling the Broly movie. They probably told him he wasn't allowed to. Because they didn't want him to mess around with the story they were telling. Especially given how little he cares about the strength differences between characters. Toyo's new arc has Goku and Vegeta getting easily KO'd by a random Galactic Patrolman. Using a stun blaster. This is Heroes level of not giving a fuck.
Kale being a Legendary Saiyan is in no way a contradiction to the anime. Neither is Jiren's wish nor Belmod & Gitchin's relationship.

It is wildly inaccurate. Headcanon is something that fans who don't dictate the terms of the story have when they theorize stuff that's not fully explained in the manga or series. Toyotarou, as an official content creator for DB, creates the lore and obtains approval from Toriyama. The DBS manga is the official canonical sequel to the DB manga. There is no headcanon.

It might even be more appropriate to say that Toyotarou's version of the story is closer to Toriyama's interpretation than the anime's. Especially the transformation route, where there is no SSB-KK or SSBE.

A good example of headcanon is you guessing Toyotarou being told he wasn't allowed to re-tell the Broly film because they didn't want him to change things. Could have just as easily been a personal decision by Toyotarou in favor of writing new content and grow as a mangaka in his own way. But this is delving into a realm that is largely unsupported by facts or concrete evidence, so I'd discourage you from pursuing this route.

And I'm not even going to get into how wrong you are about your analysis of the latest chapter either since this isn't the thread for it.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

GokuDragonBall

Post by GokuDragonBall » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 am

Only saw it once so my memory is kinda fuzzy and I don't remember everything though I was really amazed at the animation and CGI never bothered me. I DID feel dizzy at some point during the Gogeta/Broly fight. Speaking of Broly, I never cared for the old character though I liked the movies. I'd say his interaction with Cheelye and Lemo were some of my favourite moments in the movie. I'm so glad Freeza did not die AGAIN,and I still believe he will go through a very slow redemption arc though I'm not sure about him becoming a comedic character. The Minus part of of story went by really fast but I did like the soundtrack. The voice over screaming the characters' name wasn't as bad as I originally thought, as for UI supposedly appearing for a split second, I think that would kinda defeat the whole purpose of it NOT being another transformation though it could be just them playing with colours I guess. Beerus is also just kinda there now but I loved the bit about Broly attacking Whis and him just avoiding him while smiling. The ending is also definitively an homage to the old Broly.

Sorry for the rambling but all I know is that I liked this movie in general. Is it my favourite? Maybe not but still very enjoyable on its own from what I can remember.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:57 am

Noah wrote:

I'm just going to quote a previous post of mine. M8 Broly literally had more lines than Super Broly, and better characterization in terms of what Koyama was aiming for Broly's personality:
You are being inherently dishonest. I literally just described to you M8 Broly's personality. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can reduce it and then dismiss it. Frieza was a psycho too you know? You say edgy one-liners, I can give you rational dialogue in which Broly shows off his cruel & sadistic disposition characteristic of the Legendary Super Saiyan that Vegeta described in the anime:

"Kakarroto, you will be the first blood sacrifice here."

*Laughs* "If you guys don't demonstrate the will to fight me, I will just destroy the entire planet!"

To the green little aliens: "You've gazed at the stars, wishing someday to return there, haven't you?" *Proceeds to blow up their planet*

"Kakarotto, is your son dear to you?" *Proceeds to trash Gohan*

"If you didn't resist like good little boys you wouldn't meet with such a painful death! I'll give every credit for being every bit Saiyan."

To Paragus: "Where do you think you're going? In a single-seated pod?" *Proceeds to kill his own father*

This is far and wide a difference in terms of characterization than his M10 self, whose majority dialogue was Kakarotto. So please do some research into the subject you are talking about instead of latching on to fan misconceptions and generalizations like some kind of sheep.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:09 am

Rakurai wrote:
Noah wrote:

I'm just going to quote a previous post of mine. M8 Broly literally had more lines than Super Broly, and better characterization in terms of what Koyama was aiming for Broly's personality:
You are being inherently dishonest. I literally just described to you M8 Broly's personality. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can reduce it and then dismiss it. Frieza was a psycho too you know? You say edgy one-liners, I can give you rational dialogue in which Broly shows off his cruel & sadistic disposition characteristic of the Legendary Super Saiyan that Vegeta described in the anime:

"Kakarroto, you will be the first blood sacrifice here."

*Laughs* "If you guys don't demonstrate the will to fight me, I will just destroy the entire planet!"

To the green little aliens: "You've gazed at the stars, wishing someday to return there, haven't you?" *Proceeds to blow up their planet*

"Kakarotto, is your son dear to you?" *Proceeds to trash Gohan*

"If you didn't resist like good little boys you wouldn't meet with such a painful death! I'll give every credit for being every bit Saiyan."

To Paragus: "Where do you think you're going? In a single-seated pod?" *Proceeds to kill his own father*

This is far and wide a difference in terms of characterization than his M10 self, whose majority dialogue was Kakarotto. So please do some research into the subject you are talking about instead of latching on to fan misconceptions and generalizations like some kind of sheep.
Thank you. Whether you like it or not, he’s not just KAKAROT in movie 8. Even then I prefer it over “he’s a good boy” full blooded Saiyan version of Gohan

Drellz26
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Drellz26 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:14 pm

I didn’t agree with you all before the last couple post, but the one-liners would’ve made Broly’s SSJ transformation even more “epic”.

It would’ve felt more sadistic instead of crazy and that would’ve been COOL but I don’t know if it would have fit the narrative laid out in the movie. I can’t say I wouldn’t have had a problem with that because then it would feel like Broly is much more in control than he was said to be.

Super Broly is far from boring though, he’s more interesting than the previous iteration overall but once he’s transformed he does lose ALL personality instead of just having a new one.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 pm

Judging Broly in a vacuum (I'm ignoring previous incarnations and any possible future relevance) he's a horrendous antagonist, might be even worse than Pure boo for me. Yeah, he's sympathetic and could become something in the future but I prefer actual character interactions instead of some brute grunting and screaming for the last ~40 minutes of the film.

Overall as a character he has more potential than m8 broly but that version of broly was a much better antagonist than this version

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Thank you. Whether you like it or not, he’s not just KAKAROT in movie 8. Even then I prefer it over “he’s a good boy” full blooded Saiyan version of Gohan
The blame is ultimately on Shueisha, Toei, & Bandai for overexaggerating one single trait when marketing or referring to Broly. Instead of focusing on his other antagonistic traits, his sadistic, cruel nature.

We even got glimpses of that in M10, when Broly tricked Gohan into thinking Broly was going to shoot a blast at him, but ended up heading towards Videl instead. And then he just laughed. That's the kind of fucked-up shit that earns good villains their stripes.

But nope, most modern adaptations of Broly focus on his berserk hatred for Goku.
Drellz26 wrote:I didn’t agree with you all before the last couple post, but the one-liners would’ve made Broly’s SSJ transformation even more “epic”.

It would’ve felt more sadistic instead of crazy and that would’ve been COOL but I don’t know if it would have fit the narrative laid out in the movie. I can’t say I wouldn’t have had a problem with that because then it would feel like Broly is much more in control than he was said to be.

Super Broly is far from boring though, he’s more interesting than the previous iteration overall but once he’s transformed he does lose ALL personality instead of just having a new one.
I don't see how he is more interesting than the previous iteration. A good boy forced into fighting? We've already seen that act with Gohan.

Kale, who had developed an inferiority complex with Caulifla even though she's far stronger than her big sis, has more potential than Broly as a character. Furthermore, she has the lore established as the legendary demonic Saiyan that appears once every 1000 years, which can definitely be explored further given Saiyans are still an existing race in U6.

Whatever direction they could take with new Broly is all speculation, but based on what we have now, he doesn't have anything going for him except his fighting potential. Which is not anything new among veteran characters either.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Rakurai wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
The blame is ultimately on Shueisha, Toei, & Bandai for overexaggerating one single trait when marketing or referring to Broly. Instead of focusing on his other antagonistic traits, his sadistic, cruel nature.

We even got glimpses of that in M10, when Broly tricked Gohan into thinking Broly was going to shoot a blast at him, but ended up heading towards Videl instead. And then he just laughed. That's the kind of fucked-up shit that earns good villains their stripes.
This. So much this, especially the last paragraph. That is what makes me enjoy a villain. I don’t give a flying fuck about their bad childhood. I want to see them do twisted shit and enjoy every minute of it.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

This. So much this, especially the last paragraph. That is what makes me enjoy a villain. I don’t give a flying fuck about their bad childhood. I want to see them do twisted shit and enjoy every minute of it.
Nearly every villain from the Piccolo Daimao arc to the Boo arc (including movies) have been under that archetype. We don’t need another drop in that ocean. Besides it could be debated that this Broli isn’t a villain and is merely just an antagonist.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:09 pm

I feel like all I ever see in this topic is each side over generalizing the other side in order to fit the narrative that their side is better.

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Forte224 wrote:I feel like all I ever see in this topic is each side over generalizing the other side in order to fit the narrative that their side is better.
And you would be correct.

But that's fandoms for ya.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope Broly gets another set of armor to wear when he comes back. The armor looks really good with all his forms, in a way him shirtless doesn't. Like I don't think Ikari or super saiyan would look nearly as good without the armors color scheme.

How do you guys feel?