"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:32 pm

Well that's the problem right there, her first introduction into DB was with Super.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:39 pm

Random thought but i hope Toyo improves on how he draws his fights since Toei will prob use the manga and its panels as storyboarding when they adapt the fights. And doing that would save time and allow storyboarders more time on other episodes and fights.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:50 pm

That would save almost no time at all. A show that adapts Toyo's manga and one that adapts Tori's notes would probably take a similar amount of time, and Super's problems would not have been solved by adapting the manga. Storyboarding fights is not simply taking manga panels and going "yeah, draw over that". Well, good fights normally aren't constructed that way, and I wouldn't say the choreography of the fights was ever really Super's big issue regardless.

Actually I cannot think of a single reason adapting the manga wouldn't be a terrible idea, especially since Toyo has twice as much time to produce the same amount of content Toriyama did, and even with him the show could still be a slow bore.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:47 am

Shaddy wrote:Actually I cannot think of a single reason adapting the manga wouldn't be a terrible idea
More consistent character writing?

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:02 am

Coupled with a monolithic level of filler to keep the release schedule the same, from the writers the anime already has? Nah, it would just be the same case as Naruto, where in trying to buffer things without the freedom adapting Tori's outlines gave them, they just end up flanderizing the characters and making them unlikable. And whether that filler did or did not end up that way wouldn't be affected, because the reason the anime had that issue in the first place was that the writing staff weren't properly coordinated, not "it just wasn't adapting the manga". And this is all with the assumption that the manga writes the characters better in the first place, where I would describe it as somewhere between "Toriyama on a tight schedule" and "completely soulless".

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:01 am

I'm not even necessarily talking about quality, just more cohesion. I have a hard time believing that a team of several people, each with their own personalities, styles, values, and interests, could collectively write as cohesively as a single person. That would at least give it more of a distinguishable creative identity than some by-committee affair.

Hell, it's less a single person, and more a single person with Toriyama essentially acting as an editor. That means that more of Dragon Ball's creative DNA would actually be seeping in. Not nearly enough to begin to hold a candle to the original work, mind you, but that bar is immeasurably high, given the amount and kind of distinct personality that Toriyama scratched onto the page.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:22 am

Zephyr wrote:
Shaddy wrote:Actually I cannot think of a single reason adapting the manga wouldn't be a terrible idea
This can easily be solved by having an head writer and a healthier schedule.
I don’t understand people who want the anime to follow Toyo’s manga. We have the luxury of having no fillers and you want that? The anime would be the slowest shit ever if they followed a monthly manga.
Or just have Toriyama writing long scripts like he did for Broly and have Toei adapt them as is, at most filling in some space to suit their needs to end episodes with some suspense and to also make sure the best parts are well animated, storyboarded and directed.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:29 am

This is a random addition to this thread, but I didn't want to make a new one for this topic.

I collected both the Viz translated and original Japanese manga for Dragon Ball. The reason was because the two versions obviously had a lot of differences in terms of censorship and translations in the actual art, etc. I'm wondering if it's worth doing the same for Super. Is there really any difference to justify this? I doubt I'll ever get to the level of being able to find out for myself, but is the translation on the good side?

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:43 am

emperior wrote: I don’t understand people who want the anime to follow Toyo’s manga. We have the luxury of having no fillers and you want that? The anime would be the slowest shit ever if they followed a monthly manga.
What amuses me about this comment is that you're acting like the anime wasn't already slow as shit and stuffed to the brim with filler (yes, filler, as in the actual definition of filler) and atrocious pacing. The retellings in particular were actually the most internally consistent arcs in the anime, and yet they were awful from a basic storytelling perspective.

Toei's in better shape when they adapt from a working mangaka and flesh out those stories as needed instead of taking the writing into their own hands at all times. That has never worked out, and no, I don't trust them to suddenly get it right with better scheduling.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:52 am

emperior wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
I don’t understand people who want the anime to follow Toyo’s manga. We have the luxury of having no fillers and you want that? The anime would be the slowest shit ever if they followed a monthly manga.
Or just have Toriyama writing long scripts like he did for Broly and have Toei adapt them as is, at most filling in some space to suit their needs to end episodes with some suspense and to also make sure the best parts are well animated, storyboarded and directed.
Yeah, having more time for pre-production and assigning a good series director and lead writer would solve a large porton, if not all, of the writing cohesion issues that plagued Super during its first run.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:26 pm

emperior wrote:We have the luxury of having no fillers
Wait, what?

Super is filled to the brim with filler. Full to bursting, in fact.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:45 pm

emperior wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
Did you watch the tournament of power? Practically half of that arc could have been filler with all the cutaways to the gods and the spectators

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:48 pm

I think filler as an extension of an existing manga is good an needed . Manga makes the base and characterization.
The problem was Toei inventing stories , but following manga route , it shouldn’t be an issue .
For instance, out of the manga last chapter , we can have 2 nice anime episodes , one being the flashback of Moro being sealed years ago and the other the train heist , both extended with creativity and good writing in accordance with the manga.
Same applies for fights , obviously you can use a couple of panel-frames , but is a must for the animation company to extended it with his own resources, and that’s Toei main virtue , or should be ..
DBS Manga ( like the original series ) is really simple and easy to follow compare to others , that’s an advantage to flesh out and gives the writers time to focus on the extension in the story , that , again should be in mangas route .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Except they wouldn't do that. Toei would adapt it the same way they did Z in the 90s, or One Piece now. Dragging shit out, repeating gags to the point where they stop being funny, and pacing it even slower due to the manga's release schedule and Toyo's barebones approach to storytelling. They wouldn't "flesh out" anything because they'd be restricted to things the manga did rather than Toriyama's notes which were a massive boon to the staff's freedom. It would be bad for the anime, even if the source material was actually good. The only time I've ever seen a manga handled that way successfully was with K-ON!, and that was because they were taking a 4koma strip that might as well have been nothing, and basically just overlaying their own better show on top of it.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:02 pm

Dragging, repeating , slow pace .. those things are sadly implied to exist in an anime weekly series , sometimes that happened Also in the original dragon ball . Running a series for long time on a weekly basis make it hard to avoid those things.
That’s why I.m.o this series will be good to come back animated in a seasonal 24 episodes , 10+ quality terms . Not all the times the more equals the better .
I think it’s soon to talk about it , manga new arc looks promising,we have hight hopes , but still we don’t know if it will be worthed, plot twist are needed and they better be good ones .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:27 pm

TKA wrote:
emperior wrote:We have the luxury of having no fillers
Wait, what?

Super is filled to the brim with filler. Full to bursting, in fact.
Depends on what you mean by "filler." If you mean episodes that are padded out longer than they should be with a lot of unnecessary things, maybe. There's certainly an argument to be made for that. Then there are the episodes in between the arcs, which have the appearances of not mattering at first, but then you examine everything as a whole & then some of them are referenced later, or offer reasons as to why some things don't happen, like the reason Goku doesn't mix Kaioken with SS Blue more is because it screws up his body's movements for a time afterwards, which makes them more important than they seem.
However, there's also the matter of pacing. The first arc was adapting a movie, which I'd say only needed 20-30 more minutes of runtime to be better paced stretched out to nearly 3 times the length it actually needed to be told & had completely snail-speed pacing as a result. The second was adapting a movie which had enough material for a full arc & was paced better as a result, but could've used a few more episodes to flesh out several aspects of the story left out in both versions. The third was paced fine. The fourth had some good ideas for padding, but the way it was inconsistently written & paced lead to arc fatigue & frustration, which is sad because Zamasu is one of the more compelling villains we've had since Cell in all of DB. And the TOP, as far as I know, had several aspects that could've been cut & could've used some structural changes, plus went on a bit too long. The manga, however, doesn't have these things. It just moves from one arc to the next, though it DOES have filler, if we look at the fact that Toriyama writes outlines & plot points both the anime staff & Toyotaro, thus necessitating their own takes on how you get from one thing to another.
Are these good or bad? Depends on the arc & how someone feels the added content services the stories being told. I know you weren't asking that, but "filler" tends to have a negative connotation attached to it, so I thought to.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:55 pm

Moro ability is pretty interesting hoping he is actually an intimidating antagonists by actually destroying Goku and Vegeta during the first encounter to actually shows he mean business.
    As for the chapel itself it was pretty good for the most part, I really like train sequences it was entertaining because it isn't atatata over and over again which is a nice change.
      Here hoping that the manga keep this quality and not going to mediocre or awful.

emperior
      I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:19 pm

I correct myself: of course Super’s anime has lots of fillers, but in the future the way to fix it is not to adapt Toyotaro’s manga but to fix the behind the scenes issues Toei had with Super.
      I already wrote what, in my opinion, can be done to fix the writing. For the show to be good and for the writing to be elevated, though, it also needs better storyboards and direction, both of which need more time and possibly the same person to do both.
      Then comes animation, which should be easier thanks to the new designs we now have.
      悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Miracles
      I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:00 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Random thought but i hope Toyo improves on how he draws his fights since Toei will prob use the manga and its panels as storyboarding when they adapt the fights. And doing that would save time and allow storyboarders more time on other episodes and fights.
      I think what makes TOEI so special is that they can add original scenes to those fights the manga gives them. I thought that dynamic helped DBZ become very great. It should be like the old days when they had a platform to follow. They can concentrate on the fight scenes with all the writing of the story already handled. In that case I hope they do retell the Broly movie. To give the manga time to get ahead.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:24 pm

prince212 wrote:Dragging, repeating , slow pace .. those things are sadly implied to exist in an anime weekly series
      ...no they're not. It's entirely down to the setup of the writing and production team. Case in point, Super did not have the pacing issues Z did (at least, not in the same way).
      prince212 wrote:sometimes that happened Also in the original dragon ball . Running a series for long time on a weekly basis make it hard to avoid those things.
      It happened a lot and it sucked. Plenty of Super is spent killing time or doing overall fillerish stuff, but only when it's forced to conform to a manga does it slow to a crawl and have to buffer itself with uninteresting drek like what happened with the Frieza battle in Z.