"DragonBall Online" Trailer

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:13 pm

Really interesting. Personally, if any new stories are derived from this (which there most likely will be) I'll just ignore it. It's the most logical thing to do to keep myself from growing millions of stress hairs :lol: I'll view this online game simply as something that's lighthearted and fun, nothing more. I doubt I'll even be playing this in the future though. If only I was 13 again. No problemos.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:18 pm

Rocketman wrote: *Rocketman, doing his Rocketman thing*
Decaf, man, decaf.

backthen
Beyond Newbie

Post by backthen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:19 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Deleted the other (redundant) thread.

---> Here's the gameplay footage <---
Thanks for deleting my thread and giving me credit for finding the video, very nice of you. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:36 pm

It looks to me like you can choose between a human male or female and a Namek-jin.

I see an interesting three-eyed female npc, either a new Kame-sen'nin or... the same one, alive hundreds of years later? and an Alien that looks like it could be one of the inhabitants of Yardrat, using Shunkan Ido.

I see you can use several of the signature techniques, including Kamehameha, Kienzan and Piccolo's "Kakusan Yuudou Kikou Ha", and the game features "Time Machine Quests" that seem to send you back to points in the DBZ story.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:54 pm

This game seems to capture Toriyama's style and scenery quite well, but that's not really suprising seeing as how Toriyama himself has complete control over the game design. I'm really digging the graphics. I can't wait how the 360 version fares out.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:02 pm

backthen wrote:

Thanks for deleting my thread and giving me credit for finding the video, very nice of you. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sorry, I didn't know you were the one who attended the event, captured the footage, uploaded it, and also coded the game in the first place.

C'mon, people. Let's consider the fact that anytime anything new comes up, I get a dozen e-mails about it from a dozen different people.

Carry on.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

backthen
Beyond Newbie

Post by backthen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:07 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
backthen wrote:

Sorry, I didn't know you were the one who attended the event, captured the footage, uploaded it, and also coded the game in the first place.

C'mon, people. Let's consider the fact that anytime anything new comes up, I get a dozen e-mails about it from a dozen different people.

Carry on.

The video had 0 views, I was the first to see it, give credit where credit is due, don't be an asshole.

Carry on.

Kenshi

Post by Kenshi » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Damn, that really is pretty sweet. Even though since it's merely a trailer and it isn't likely to happen, if that detail into the backgrounds and overall animation with the sprites and everything is implemented into the game, along with the whole idea of riding that giant time-machine(did Toriyama design this, too? Looks better than anything Toei's concocted up, like, ever, to say the least) to eras within the DB timeline, I just might consider picking up this game in the future. Though MMORPG's are overrated, yah ^_^

And I'll get around to getting off my lazy lorris ass to see some of the gameplay soon as I'm done scanning some shit I'm trying to post on the forums.

And also, the fact that I can actually read the Korean text("드래곤볼 온라인") on the footage and can hear the Korean being spoken makes me so hyped that it's done by mai kind, lol. And if the whole "design your own character thing works right, I'd so go something like SS3 Vegeta or "Gokan" or something. That elder room of that Namekian sage guy gave me a boner, lol >_>(yes, I am Korean, and if you didn't know this and you know me you've been under a rock)

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:36 pm

backthen wrote: The video had 0 views, I was the first to see it, give credit where credit is due, don't be an asshole.
Am I missing something?

If you're the first person to link to a video around here, is there a hall of fame?, a place in a prestigious journal?, a million dollar prize?

Seriously dude, you typed "Dragonball Online" in Youtube and hit enter.

You're awesome.

On topic:

I'm actually looking forward to this game, especially since what was shown of the character customization actually looked pretty flexible, unlike that of World of Warcraft, where Blizzard have a fantastic art department, but your character is destined to look exactly like everybody else, because they couldn't be bothered making more than three types of hair.. :?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:40 pm

backthen wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
backthen wrote: Thanks for deleting my thread and giving me credit for finding the video, very nice of you. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Carry on.

The video had 0 views, I was the first to see it, give credit where credit is due, don't be an asshole.

Carry on.
What do you want? "Come one, come all, for backthen had posted a thread pointing to a video that had come online! backthen, backthen, backthen!"

Seriously, bud. Unless you scooped something yourself, let's be a little more realistic. Will you gain something by VegettoEX saying "backthen first posted this in another thread"? I'm just a dude, and you're just a dude. The important thing is the content, which you have yet to discuss (both in your original thread, and in this thread).

Let's remember what we're all here for.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

tarrin4ever

Post by tarrin4ever » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:57 am

Going by the gameplay video, this is starting to look extremely derivative of WOW. Not that many other mmo's are vastly different, it's just I had more ambitious hopes for this particular title.

The one thing I'm liking so far is the art style. I'm a fan of the Toriyama-Dragonquest look, but they gotta keep it a bit closer to DB. More of those crazy headed dinosaurs with pointy skulls, and less of those crazy colorful squirrels.

I cant help but feel disappointed that you actually have to fight giant squirrel/bat things. Leave them as harmless wildlife, cut to the chase and give us Red Ribbon robots/soldiers, crazy mechs, and little green men. And going by the trailer, it seems to be indicating that there's a focus on teamwork and parties.

Constantly fighting insignificant animals , and joining in groups of 5 just doesn't feel very Dragonball. A 10 man raid against Freeza does not sound fun.

Give me control of a plucky young warrior who takes on a world full of crazy powerful villains. 1 on 1 fights all the way. With engaging combat, not just click and watch him start to attack 100 punches a second (+1 pps when wearing saiyan elite gloves).
Last edited by tarrin4ever on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:00 am

Aww man.., I want this game now. Too bad it probably won't come stateside OR on to the PS3. :(

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:34 am

tarrin4ever wrote:Going by the gameplay video, this is starting to look extremely derivative of WOW. Not that many other mmo's are vastly different, it's just I had more ambitious hopes for this particular title.
I use to feel that way as I watched RPG after RPG come out and have the same UI, but then I just accepted that the reason this is so commonly used is because it works, and it works well. It's accessible, in such a way that there's no need to waste time on tutorials.

When it comes to MMORPGs, it's almost like a series. Different game, same gameplay. You either have to learn to appreciate the subtle differences or head back to consoles.
I cant help but feel disappointed that you actually have to fight giant squirrel/bat things. Leave them as harmless wildlife, cut to the chase and give us Red Ribbon robots/soldiers, crazy mechs, and little green men.
Where's the escalation? You have to start small, otherwise fighting the big badies won't feel quite as badass. That's just RPG basics right there. Whether it's Pidgeys, Slimes, Bunnies, or those... tiny, generic little Heartless... You need knock-away critters the first few levels.
Constantly fighting insignificant animals , and joining in groups of 5 just doesn't feel very Dragonball. A 10 man raid against Freeza does not sound fun.
Give me control of a plucky young warrior who takes on a world full of crazy powerful villains. 1 on 1 fights all the way. With engaging combat, not just click and watch him start to attack 100 punches a second (+1 pps when wearing saiyan elite gloves).
I can't say I disagree with this. Dragonball, as a standard, is one-on-one. "Janken to see who goes first!" But it's an MMORPG, here. You can't not have group content in some way, or you might as well not produce the game.
I think you're just pining for a non-online DB RPG. I'm there with you, but I'll enjoy this too. :)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:46 am

MisterFlashdude wrote: Where's the escalation? You have to start small, otherwise fighting the big badies won't feel quite as badass. That's just RPG basics right there. Whether it's Pidgeys, Slimes, Bunnies, or those... tiny, generic little Heartless... You need knock-away critters the first few levels.
Yeah, you definitely need to have those lesser foes to make the big ones seem impressive. Although to be fair, Dragon Ball itself starts off with Goku effortlessly beating a pteradon and then a gigantic bear warrior, so the series itself doesn't really follow that idea too well (though he did fight that fish first, now that I think of it). But an RPG is different.

Those generic Heartless are called 'Shadows', by the way. My favorite examply of beginning-of-the-game weak enemies are in Final Fantasy V, where you start off fighting stray cats and squirrels.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:59 am

Herms wrote:Those generic Heartless are called 'Shadows', by the way. My favorite examply of beginning-of-the-game weak enemies are in Final Fantasy V, where you start off fighting stray cats and squirrels.
Damn, I had that word on the tip of my tong-.. uh, finger.. but I couldn't quite think of it. I remember now, though..
The Slimes in the Dragon Quest games have always been the epitome of pathetic first-encounter creatures to me. They just shout "Even five of us together aren't a threat at level 1! :lol: "

Seeing as Mr.Toriyama is the artist for both series... I'm crossing my fingers they'll stick some Slimes in DBO somewhere... :D

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:15 am

Herms wrote:
Rocketman wrote: *Rocketman, doing his Rocketman thing*
Decaf, man, decaf.
You can shove that decaf up the arse of whoever greenlighted this abortion of an idea. :x

tarrin4ever

Post by tarrin4ever » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:05 am

The problem with most mmo's is exactly that though. Different game, same gameplay. I've only ever got into one mmo, but have tried a few others along the way and got bored. But I went back to the first, because I'd already started a good thing there. Which is exactly why WOW does so well.

And I'd rather this game not repeat the same cliche mmo cycle. Will flying come natural, or will you have to grind for hours to get the money it costs to learn the ability? Will armour and gear define the warrior's strength?

It's all speculation at this point. They may in fact switch it up for us, give us something new and change up the mold.
MisterFlashdude wrote: Where's the escalation? You have to start small, otherwise fighting the big badies won't feel quite as badass. That's just RPG basics right there. Whether it's Pidgeys, Slimes, Bunnies, or those... tiny, generic little Heartless... You need knock-away critters the first few levels.
But these are dragonball warriors. There's no reason for them to fight bats and squirrels. I can beat a bat and a squirrel (though doing so would be animal cruelty). But I wont get any stronger for it. Even at low lvls, we need to give these guys their due credit.
You can't not have group content in some way, or you might as well not produce the game.
I think you're just pining for a non-online DB RPG. I'm there with you, but I'll enjoy this too. :)
I see that as another spot they can stray from the norm. Why can't the online community simply fight each other? Have little tournaments which culminate towards the big world martial arts tournament.

When Goku met another strong warrior along his travels, they usually fight, become friends, then contine to fight later to see how strong the other has become.

Building a pvp system around that could be incredible. Friend lists become a record of sparring partners.

lolsam1337

Post by lolsam1337 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:13 am

Why is the clothing yellow and black? Should be orange and blue...

Anyways they should have an easter egg if you do some really difficult thing, the farmer kills Raditz hahaha, doubt anyone who works on the game has seen the videos though...

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:35 am

Kenshi wrote:And if the whole "design your own character thing works right, I'd so go something like SS3 Vegeta or "Gokan" or something.
A shining example of the wealth of creativity this game will spawn.

On a slightly less bilious note, what's the point of interfering with Goku vs Vegeta? Other than "ssjdongz357" getting credit for the victory instead of Goku, of course.

backthen
Beyond Newbie

Post by backthen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:53 am

Rocketman wrote: Other than "ssjdongz357" getting credit for the victory instead of Goku, of course.
LOL!

It's an example of the time traveling quests.