Why Battle of Gods will always be THE BEST Dragon Ball Movie EVER!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ironfist2020
Banned

Re: Why Battle of Gods will always be THE BEST Dragon Ball Movie EVER!

Post by ironfist2020 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:57 am

No. It was garbage the super version was much better

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why Battle of Gods will always be the BEST Dragon Ball Movie EVER!

Post by Terez » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:38 am

BWri wrote:It's hard to top the original 3 DBZ movies
M1 was pretty good. M2 is criminally overrated. M3 is pretty awful; even M4 is better than M3. I really don't understand why people put these movies on a pedestal.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:42 am

It's my favorite, outside of the TV specials, because it's the only one, even counting the ones that came after it, where Goku actually has a coherent character arc that builds on where he left off in Z; it's new and fresh, and shone a light on his attempt to reconcile his selfish motivations with his heroism in a way that furthered the character, before the Super arcs that came after just used Goku's 'poison' as an excuse to make certain plot points happen, never actually making the character work through his flaws. The old Toei movies never did much with the character, Resurrection 'F' just rehashes the same arc again, but worse and with less depth, and Goku's arc in Broly is overshadowed by Broly's and feels incomplete regardless.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 am

It's totally fine to love BoG and have it as your favorite movie, but its animation is absolutey not better than DBS Broly. That's objectively wrong.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 am

FlpShimizu wrote:It's totally fine to love BoG and have it as your favorite movie, but its animation is absolutey not better than DBS Broly. That's objectively wrong.
Did anybody claim that was the case?

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:00 am

PFM18 wrote:
FlpShimizu wrote:It's totally fine to love BoG and have it as your favorite movie, but its animation is absolutey not better than DBS Broly. That's objectively wrong.
Did anybody claim that was the case?
OP did.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:22 pm

I don't consider it the best, or even top 3 for that matter, but I do give it credit for expanding the lore, introducing some great characters, and reviving the franchise. It's arguably the most influential DB movie within the series.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:46 pm

There is no objectivity when it comes to art style and animation preferences. Art is subjective. And will always be. That said (in my opinion) the good parts of the director’s cut far surpasses anything i’ve ever seen, including the Broly movie. That’s my opinion, and i’m allowed to have one just as you are allowed to have yours. The only thing that comes close or might be even better is episode 110 of Super where Goku awakens Ultra Instinct Omen.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:02 pm

I've talked about Battle Of Gods in a lot of depth in the past, and my general feelings of the film remain the same:
This is quite a plot heavy and character driven movie, where the action in reality takes a backseat. How much mileage you get out of that will greatly vary depending on what you value the most about Dragon Ball. If you're looking for the more action-oriented displays that most DBZ movies provide, then, well, you're kinda gonna be shit outta luck with this movie. But if you're the kind of person that values plot, characterisation, world-building and a greater emphasis on Dragon Ball's unique charm, comedy and whimsy, and don't mind if the battles play a more secondary role in the narrative, then this movie is right up your alley.

Some fans may bemoan the shenanigans of the Pilaf Gang, Beerus and Oolong play Rock-Paper-Scissors, Vegeta's "Bingo Dance", and Gohan becoming the drunken monkey as "fluff", but I just find it so wonderful, wholesome and fun. And that what this movie wanted to be... fun. This movie is so much fun. - 9/10

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why Battle of Gods will always be the BEST Dragon Ball Movie EVER!

Post by BWri » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Terez wrote:
BWri wrote:It's hard to top the original 3 DBZ movies
M1 was pretty good. M2 is criminally overrated. M3 is pretty awful; even M4 is better than M3. I really don't understand why people put these movies on a pedestal.
I didn't like movie 2 much when I was a kid, but after rewatching as an adult, I love it. The story made sense, and seemed like an alternate take on the later android arc. The fighting was exceptional, featuring unique fighters with non-standard sci-fi powers and it had amazing cameos with Roshi, Krillin, and Piccolo. There was so much awesome in one movie that it might actually topple the Garlic Jr. movie.

About Tree of Might. I just think that one was condensed too much. I think it would have worked better as a mini-arc, but you can't really place it in the series. I still liked the action and art. Story was solid too, though missing something.

I don't remember the DB movies, so someone tell me if those are better. Lord Slug was just the Piccolo arc but condensed. There wasn't enough spectacle with it to even make me remember anything from it. Cooler #1 is probably better than Tree of Might. Cooler #2 has fun moments, but is mostly forgettable outside of the main fight. Broly #1 was solid and is my favorite movie to rewatch (Broly dialogue, Pantera, and fight scenes), but it's not as good as the 1st two DBZ movies. Wrath of Dragon is overall okay, with amazing art. Everything else just had great spectacle with the action scenes so I just watch the fight clips.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Why Battle of Gods will always be the best Dragon Ball Movie EVER!

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:48 pm

BrolySSJL wrote:*Worst movie ever.
Wouldn't say the worst but it was pretty fucking boring.

Super Broly is currently my favorite Dragon Ball movie. Can't wait to watch it on Blu-ray.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:11 am

I personally think it's as bad as Bio-Broly and was genuinely surprised at how many people enjoyed it but I accept my view is minority. That said... I hate the fights in it just being random clashes without much depth and the over usage of CG makes it feel cheap. I don't like Super Saiyan Womb Ritual, nor the concept of a "God" form of Super Saiyan, which in hindsight is rendered pointless being that just about anyone can contend with God Ki users these days. I don't like how Vegeta dances in a uncharacteristic way in fear of Beerus, it felt completely unlike the Vegeta we knew from the original series. I don't like the characterization of a lot of the characters, I don't like how Vegeta somehow gains strength stronger than Super Saiyan 3 just cause Bulma is slapped as it makes no sense. When his son died in front of him and he did the same berserk thing to Cell, he got a little light show that didn't phase Cell, it certainly didn't make him as strong as Super Saiyan 2 Gohan.

I really don't like this film and I feel like Res F, and especially the newer Broly movie are much more interesting.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 am

It's nowhere as good as "Path to Power", that is the best DB movie ever made.

But "Battle of Gods" is the most original movie for sure and one of the best.
Much better than DBS Broly and especially better than Ressurection 'F' that was as awful as Bio-Broly to me.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta