New FUNimation DVD Coverart Already!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

New FUNimation DVD Coverart Already!

Post by MagicBox » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:02 am

From AnimeonDVD: Season Five and the movies 1 & 2 Double Feature.

Image Image Image

Well, damn, that was fast! We already knew what season five was gonna look like, but now we've got the newest double feature artwork. It's not bad, but it could have been much better. A better picture of Goku, perhaps partnered with an image of four-year-old Gohan, would've been great. Glad to know the rest of the movies are going to be released via the steelbooks. I'm loving the one that the Trunks/Burdock set got.

I'm still avoiding the season sets like the plague, but I'll gladly buy the movies in this format. Just think, ladies and gents. We're finally getting something from FUNi that was intended to be cropped. Add on an English-dub-with-Japanese-music feature and I'll be all over that thing.

I've got a stumper of a question, though. With the recent absence of the insert vocal songs in the episodes on the season sets, do you guys think there's a chance that "Tenkaichi Gohan" and "I Love Piccolo-san" will not be used? I'm actually pretty scared that they'll be taken out. Pioneer got to use them for the old dub, but I'm worried that FUNimation might not get to use them. It'll suck if they're taken out, since those two scenes really don't work at all if those songs are removed.

And... discuss!
Last edited by MagicBox on Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Moon_Doggie

Post by Moon_Doggie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:07 am

Oh snap! That Double Feature cover art is pretty sexy! It's funny, I didn't even know the movies were being released in remastered double feature sets.

The art for the fifth season is pretty good-about as good as I thought it would be.

Kaboom

Re: New FUNimation DVD Coverart Already!

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:18 am

MagicBox wrote:I've got a stumper of a question, though. With the recent absence of the insert vocal songs in the episodes on the season sets, do you guys think there's a chance that "Tenkaichi Gohan" and "I Love Piccolo-san" will not be used? I'm actually pretty scared that they'll be taken out. Pioneer got to use them for the old dub, but I'm worried that FUNimation might not get to use them. It'll suck if they're taken out, since those two scenes really don't work at all if the music's removed.
I'll admit, I'm equally worried about that. But even if not, we can always still switch over to the Japanese track for those.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Sn4tcH

Post by Sn4tcH » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:22 am

Well they kept the song that played while Trunks went SSJ in Season Four (the name escapes my mind). But that didn't have vocals either... so...

And yes, cover art is sexy, and here's hoping for SSJ2 Gohan on Season Six.
"I don't need to see Goku in 5000 Giga-watts in my way back machine to be happy" - NeptuneKai

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:25 am

MagicBox wrote: I'm still avoiding the season sets like the plague, but I'll gladly buy the movies in this format. Just think, ladies and gents. We're finally getting something from FUNi that was intended to be cropped. Add on an English-dub-with-Japanese-music feature and I'll be all over that thing.
I figured since I had already started collecting the movies, I might as well finish my collection of the movies in 4:3, I will however eventually pick these up on Blu-ray, I don't really care for the new audio track, so I don't see the point on picking these up until a hd release.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:25 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:I'll admit, I'm equally worried about that. But even if not, we can always still switch over to the Japanese track for those.
I'd rather not have to do that, though. Since FUNimation's redubs of movies 1 & 2 used scripts that were almost exact copies of the old FUNi/Pioneer dub script, these films are two of the most accurate DBZ dubs in FUNi's arsenal. I'd just like them to go all the way, y'know? I just hope they come through. The Japanese track will always be my preferred way of watching the series, but I'd like English DBZ to get a win at least every once and a while.

Another point of interest just popped into my mind. Do you guys think they'll port over Chuck Huber and Chris Cason's commentary for Dead Zone? It's one of the few real bonuses that FUNi's given fans of the show; I'd like to have it without having to hold onto my old disc.
Last edited by MagicBox on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:27 am

MagicBox wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:I'll admit, I'm equally worried about that. But even if not, we can always still switch over to the Japanese track for those.
I'd rather not have to do that, though. Since FUNimation's redubs of movies 1 & 2 used scripts that were almost exact copies of the old FUNi/Pioneer dub script, these films are two of the most accurate DBZ dubs in FUNi's arsenal. I'd just like them to go all the way, y'know? I just hope they come through.
I suppose so. Also, I didn't know that about the dub scripts for those two. Are they really good? I just usually watch the Japanese track nowadays, so I hadn't noticed.
Sn4tcH wrote:here's hoping for SSJ2 Gohan on Season Six.
Oh, definitely.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:16 am

*Head-desks*
I have both the Ocean AND Funi dubs of movies 1-3 and now they re-re-release it? :shock:

Ah well, its good for people who don't have it yet and wanted to buy it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:28 am

Aw geez. I had no idea that the movies would be getting the double feature + steel box treatment, too. For once, FUNi will be living up to their whole "the way it was meant to be seen." I mean, I know that the movie footage is actually in 4:3, but it was animated to make sure that nothing was lost when put in widescreen. From the latest screenshots from the Bardock/Trunks set, it also looks like the remastering is improving, too.

I'll definitely be getting the first three sets, assuming that each one will have two movies, since I'm missing movies 2-6. I'm also missing the third Broly movie, but I'd much rather pick up a used copy on amazon (it is the third Broly movie, after all :roll:). Sure, my releases will be inconsistent, but that's never really been a concern of mine.
MagicBox wrote:Another point of interest just popped into my mind. Do you guys think they'll port over Chuck Huber and Chris Cason's commentary for Dead Zone? It's one of the few real bonuses that FUNi's given fans of the show; I'd like to have it without having to hold onto my old disc.
At first, I was gonna say that they'd just have the same discs as the previous movie releases, but then I remembered that they had to do stuff like the widescreening, so I dunno. I agree that keeping one of the few bonuses FUNi threw at us would be appreciated, so I hope they'd keep it.

Here's what I want to know about: There's 13 DBZ movies, but so far, it looks like FUNi's releasing the movies in pairs. Do you think the last release will have movies 11, 12 and 13, or do you think movie 13 will have a new single release?

Also, how many times is it now that Mike's purchased movie 1?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:36 am

MagicBox wrote:I've got a stumper of a question, though. With the recent absence of the insert vocal songs in the episodes on the season sets, do you guys think there's a chance that "Tenkaichi Gohan" and "I Love Piccolo-san" will not be used?
Yes. The Norwegian dub of movie 2 only has an instrumental version ofthe song playing during that scene, with no singing. Ruins the scene completely (then again, the dub does a pretty good job at ruining everything that can possibly be ruined, so...)

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:27 am

I bet movies 11-13 will just be one release.

Movies 1 (41m) + 2 (60m) equals 1 hour and 41 minutes
Movies 3 (61m) + 4 (46m) equals 1 hour and 47 minutes
Movies 5 (48m) + 6 (45m) equals 1 hour and 33 minutes
Movies 7 (45m) + 9 (50m) equals 1 hour and 35 minutes
Movies 8 (70m) + 10 (50m) equals 2 hours
Movie 11 (50m) + Movie 12 (55m) + Movie 13 (51m) equals 2 hours and 36 minutes, which is only about half an hour longer then the Broli Double Feature DVD. Wouldn't be suprised if they made it cost the price of one and a half double feature sets.
Last edited by Taku128 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
­

Moon_Doggie

Post by Moon_Doggie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:29 am

Taku128 wrote:I'm interested in how Movies 11-13 are going to be done.

Movies 1 (41 minutes) + 2 (1 hour) equals 1 hour and 41 minutes
Movies 3 (1 hour and 1 minute) + 4 (46 minutes) equals 1 hour and 47 minutes
Movies 5 (48 minutes) + 6 (45 minutes) equals 1 hour and 33 minutes
Movies 7 (45 minutes) + 9 (50 minutes) equals 1 hour and 35 minutes
Movies 8 (1 hour and 10 minutes) + 10 (50 minutes) equals 2 hours

Movie 11 is 50 minutes, Movie 12 is 55 minutes, and Movie 13 is 51 minutes

Movies 11 + 12 + 13 equals 2 hours and 36 minutes, which is only about half an hour longer then the Broli Double Feature DVD, so they might just make it a triple release. Wouldn't be suprised if they did but made it cost 1.5 times as much as the Double Feature Movie releases.
I hope they don't release them out of order just to group the Broly movies together. That would just be completely stupid.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:32 am

Moon_Doggie wrote:
Taku128 wrote:I'm interested in how Movies 11-13 are going to be done.

Movies 1 (41 minutes) + 2 (1 hour) equals 1 hour and 41 minutes
Movies 3 (1 hour and 1 minute) + 4 (46 minutes) equals 1 hour and 47 minutes
Movies 5 (48 minutes) + 6 (45 minutes) equals 1 hour and 33 minutes
Movies 7 (45 minutes) + 9 (50 minutes) equals 1 hour and 35 minutes
Movies 8 (1 hour and 10 minutes) + 10 (50 minutes) equals 2 hours

Movie 11 is 50 minutes, Movie 12 is 55 minutes, and Movie 13 is 51 minutes

Movies 11 + 12 + 13 equals 2 hours and 36 minutes, which is only about half an hour longer then the Broli Double Feature DVD, so they might just make it a triple release. Wouldn't be suprised if they did but made it cost 1.5 times as much as the Double Feature Movie releases.
I hope they don't release them out of order just to group the Broly movies together. That would just be completely stupid.
Well they already released the Broli movies as a double feature on blu-ray, but they might just ditch the original release like the ultimate uncuts.
­

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:19 am

What if they do Wrath of the Dragon with Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans for the first time in English as a double feature.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:24 am

I just E-mailed Mike with this like a minute before you posted it here... Oh well. ::Goes and unsends E-mail:: :lol:

So Mike, are you going to get this set just to keep up with the running joke of having a million versions of "The Dead Zone"?

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:03 pm

The movies have the potential to look good so I will probably hold of and buy these instead of buying the 4:3 releases.
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:40 pm

I am definitely planning on buying the movie sets on Blu-ray. How swweet would it be if the Blu-ray release got a metal case too?

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:10 pm

I just finished watching the Trunks/Bradock Double feature last night, and I have to say this is probably Funi's (Not counting Pioneer) best release yet. The remastering seemed to be, well, actual remastering, there was still grain and no line fading. Also, I watched both movies with Dub w/JP Music, because I had seen both in English and Japanese before. And I have to say, it was pretty decent.
This just makes me wish Dameon Clarke had voiced teen Gohan, I like his voice better than Kyle Herbert.

Well, as for more on topic, I might actually buy this dvd remastered two pack of movies 1-2, because the DVD's I have of them are DVD's I made of my old Pioneer VHS tapes.

Also, if they re-re-re-re release the series on blu-ray, they should seriously just put all the episodes on 10 discs or whatever, and just put out one box set for 300-400 bucks or whatever, cause then I might buy it, otherwise, forget collecting season sets again.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:33 pm

I agree, the box does look quite nice, but only 2 movies? No thanks. Maybe if FUNI releases a complete box set later on...

Yes, I already have all of the single releases of the movies (Except 12), but I picked those up for about £3 each.

As for the season set...yeah. I've already said what needs to be said, so I'll keep my yap shut.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:06 pm

Ugh,i just bought Movies 1-3 a few months ago. I might buy the new movie sets......
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.