Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:47 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:44 pm I've just started lurking in Funimation's official Discord channel, and there's a lot of discussion on this set. The Funimation reps there are pointing people towards funimation.com/support, saying that'll be the easiest way to get word to "decision makers".
Awesome, that's valuable information! : D As Robo keeps talking about, this is potentially history-making stuff that we could make happen here, something that could affect future releases of not just Z, but Dragon Ball and GT as well.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:50 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:44 pm I've just started lurking in Funimation's official Discord channel, and there's a lot of discussion on this set. The Funimation reps there are pointing people towards funimation.com/support, saying that'll be the easiest way to get word to "decision makers".
Gonna shoot them a message using this, I assume "Product Concerns" would be the best "Reason For Contacting Us" to choose?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:51 pm

Thanks, I'll do this as well.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:57 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:50 pm
Gonna shoot them a message using this, I assume "Product Concerns" would be the best "Reason For Contacting Us" to choose?
Oh yeah, I somehow missed "Product Concerns". That's way better than where I sent my (first) message. Thanks!

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 pm

AnimeAjay's video telling people why they shouldn't buy the blu-ray has considerably more views than the official trailer Funi posted. That does not look good for Funi.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 pm Image

AnimeAjay's video telling people why they shouldn't buy the blu-ray has considerably more views than the official trailer Funi posted. That does not look good for Funi.
Yikes. The Like/Dislike ratio on that trailer isn't exactly stellar either (although there are still more likes than dislikes):

Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm

Yikes. The Like/Dislike ratio on that trailer isn't exactly stellar either (although there are still more likes than dislikes):

I think things would've turned out better had Funimation not hyped this up so much.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:54 pm

sintzu wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm

I think things would've turned out better had Funimation not hyped this up so much.
Or had they simply risen to the level of the hype.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Forte224 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:54 pmOr had they simply risen to the level of the hype.
They knew from the very start that they couldn't give fans what they wanted so they should've just been clear from the start that this wasn't going to be the be all end all of Z home releases. They should know that hype is a double edged sword.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:11 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm Yikes. The Like/Dislike ratio on that trailer isn't exactly stellar either (although there are still more likes than dislikes):

For something "official" and Dragon Ball Z related, those numbers look a bit too low, no?
Even with it being something limited to North America, I was expecting at least the video to be getting more attention than this.

The Jackal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Jackal » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:32 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:03 pm
The Jackal wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm I mean, why is this 4:3 boxset even a premium release? It's how the series was originally released, and should be the default. 16:9 widescreen and cranked up DNR? Who asked for that? No one. :crazy: And yet, they're still doing doing the 'Orange Box' treatment to a "premium" release?
It's a Premium Release because it's for the 30th Anniversary, silly. It's right there on the side of the box!
Not sure if sarcastic or not. :think:

If you're not:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Akamay wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:11 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm Yikes. The Like/Dislike ratio on that trailer isn't exactly stellar either (although there are still more likes than dislikes):

For something "official" and Dragon Ball Z related, those numbers look a bit too low, no?
Even with it being something limited to North America, I was expecting at least the video to be getting more attention than this.
It's locked to US and Canada residents so anyone else have to resort to a VPN or something.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:56 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:41 pm
Akamay wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:11 pm

It's locked to US and Canada residents so anyone else have to resort to a VPN or something.
I am aware of this, but given the numbers of people backing this up on Funimation's page, I was expecting more views, likes and dislikes on the Funimation's videos.
DBZ is still a popular property with the anniversary and all bringing more attention to it. It feels weird how little people seem to care about this release.

I mean, yeah 3k orders is a lot, but you'd think a big release for a series this famous would get more people talking about it.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:01 pm

There have been a lot of DBZ home media releases so some may not feel like giving a shit nor spending $350 on it. Plus, there are billions of Dragon Ball fans around the globe and they were blocked from accessing it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Akamay wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:56 pm3k orders is a lot, but you'd think a big release for a series this famous would get more people talking about it.
Z is big within the anime community but that community isn't that big in the grand scheme of things.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:01 pm There have been a lot of DBZ home media releases so some may not feel like giving a shit nor spending $350 on it. Plus, there are billions of Dragon Ball fans around the globe and they were blocked from accessing it.
sintzu wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:02 pm
Akamay wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:56 pm3k orders is a lot, but you'd think a big release for a series this famous would get more people talking about it.
Z is big within the anime community but that community isn't that big in the grand scheme of things.
Understandable. I was led to believe that more people would be interested in this release given that the goals were somewhat low.
Granted, they never really shown the number of e-mails registered for new on this set, right?
It is easy to imagine that the price tag drove a bunch of the interest away before the whole deal with the video quality was brought up to people's attention.

On a slightly unrelated note, the Funimation remasters are usually the ones used for Western releases, no?
Or are there other remasters going around?
If there were, it would be nice to see a comparison between them.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:09 pm

While the video film is a big issue I’m wondering if their is any possibility that spirit vs Spirit is kept on the dub track even if they have to bring Nadolny back in just once I would like to hear the best OST on the dub track 😞

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Akamay wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 pmThey never really shown the number of e-mails registered for new on this set, right?

It is easy to imagine that the price tag drove a bunch of the interest away before the whole deal with the video quality was brought up to people's attention.

On a slightly unrelated note, the Funimation remasters are usually the ones used for Western releases, no?
As far as I know they're just showing the pre-order numbers.

Some fans could be waiting for a potential lower cost release.

Yes.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Raw film scan:

Funimation's remaster:

Quick and dirty edit that crops the raw scan into 4:3 without overdoing it:

Don't know why this particular episode seems to be cropped so much since Funimation is saying they did this manually. The episode 100 and 185 screenshots they posted look fine as far as framing goes. It's just episode 1 that's really zoomed in for some reason.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:29 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm
Ugh, I want it so much.