Episode #0122 (30 March 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0122 (30 March 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Episode #0122 (download MP3)
59:55; 64 kbps, mono; 27.4 MB

Episode #0122! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian react to the amazing news of JAM Project appearing at Otakon 2008 by coming up with their own completely illogical, unlikely, fanboyish, ideal set-list of DBZ-only songs to be performed live. More news, DBZ ABCs, April's releases, and your e-mails (and YouTube comments, even) round out the episode. Referenced sites:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:43 pm

Um... Your list. Plus, "Rock the Dragon". That would be something
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:15 pm

Right on man! I also purchased a PSP this week, for Crisis Core, as I assume was your reason for picking one up. And I also picked up Shin Budokai. That's weird man. Anyway, another fine podcast episode, many thanks.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:53 pm

Ah, PSP tiems. Shin Budokai's story and translations are pretty weird, true, but the gameplay is the strong point.

Is Crisis Core good? Apparently good enough for you to pick up a PSP.

Also, you're welcome for the JAM Project announcement. Although from the sound of it, you guys probably found out about it already without me. >_> If there's a mosh pit, I'll be there.

EDIT: Also, my sister is peeved at your lack of X-Japan knowledge. Just saying.
Last edited by Kaboom on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Now that you got a psp (also i am using one to write this comment), are you going to review the shin budokai games?
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:24 pm

CHA LA HEAD CHA LA (Super Adventure Version)
Kusuburu Heart Ni Hi O Tsukero
Ore Wa Tokoton Tomaranai
Joshiki Nante NA*I*SA
Hikari No Tabi (Classical New Version)
Marugoto
Koi No NAZONAZO
Love Jet
Mother Universe
Kino No Yume, Kyo No Hikari - Silent Night, Morning Moon
Kimi No Sora e
Kiseki No Big Fight

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:04 pm

By the way, I checked my Season Four, and the insert song is there when Trunks transforms in the dub.

I'm holding on to some hope for Unmei no Hi.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:15 pm

You guys said most 14 wouldn't be stoked to see JAM Project play. I am. But I won't go until I can drive next year.

Well anyways, great podcast as always.

I can't believe some of the YouTube comments you guys get.

It's hard to type on the PSP correctly...

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:19 pm

Awesome list. I'd probably leave Saikyo No Fusion in there though, I love that song :P

Also, more Ani-manga? WTF? I thought they were finally done putting them out!

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Only need one song: Marugoto. Damn I love that song.

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:06 am

Darn it! Why can't Otakon be in England? I can't believe you're going to see Hironobu Kageyama AND Rica Matsumoto perform. I guess I should post my ideal set, of course I'm a Pokémon fan before I'm a Dragon Ball fan so I decided I'll list 6 Pokémon songs and 6 Dragon Ball songs:

1) Spurt! (Pocket Monsters: Advanced Generation OP 5)
2) Super Survivor (Sparking Meteor / Budokai Tenkaichi 3 OP)
3) Challenger!! (Pocket Monsters: Advanced Generation OP 2)
4) WE GOTTA POWER (Dragon Ball Z OP 2)
5) Type Wild! (Pocket Monsters ED 5)
6) Kusuburu Heart ni Hi o Tsukero!! (Dragon Ball Z 2 / Budokai 2 OP)
7) OK! (Pocket Monsters OP 3)
8) Boku-tachi wa Tenshi datta (Dragon Ball Z ED 2)
9) Rival! (Pocket Monsters OP 2)
10) THE BIGGEST FIGHT ~Gekitotsu~ (Dragon Ball Final Bout OP)
11) Mezase Pokémon Master (Pocket Monsters OP 1)
12) CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA (Dragon Ball Z OP 1)

Just the thought that any of those songs could be performed is making me feel even more depressed about being stuck in England. I am going to put these songs on a playlist on my iPod though.
Last edited by Gaiash on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:53 am

I am posting this sight unseen (or rather, hearing unheard), because I haven't yet heard the Podcast. I did want to put this up first, and then discover how much in sync I might have with the Podcast and some of you out there. :)

EDIT: Just now listening to the Podcast. Julian's "Tel Aviv" edition of the Ani-manga! Hey, it's the Israeli version of DBZ! :)

Considering the fact that we're getting the whole package at Otakon, and not just Hironobu Kageyama or Hiroshi Kitadani, I would love to hear a good variety of songs from all of JAM Project and its members.

Things I definitely want to hear - "Nageki No Rosario" from Gravion. Possibly also "Soul Gravion" which is the song that plays during the combining scenes in Gravion. I know JAM Project did a lot of songs for giant robot shows, so I'm sure people will be good to get their giant robot on. Of course, stuff like "Cha-La Head Cha-La" and "We Are" should be included for Hironobu Kageyama's and Hiroshi Kitadani's sake, respectively.

As far as Dragon Ball Z songs go, it's entirely possible that lots of these people at Otakon will be hearing a lot of these insert and "inspired by" songs from the Hit Song Collections for the first time. Off the top of my head, the set will most likely include:

"Aitsu Wa Son Goku"
"Hikari No Tabi"
(maybe) "Ougon No Compasu"
"Unmei No Hi"
"Mind Power ~Ki~"
And to make Meri squee with glee, "SpacePeople DBZ". :)
I'd love to hear him do any (or all) of the Budoukai video game songs he's done as well.

From the Movie Ending Theme songs, I'd love to hear:
"Marugoto" (Movie 3)
"Burning Fight" (Movie 8)
"Dragon Power Mugendai" (Movie 11)
"Zaikyou Wa No Fusion" (Movie 12)

EDIT: After hearing the podcast, and re-ordering my songs, this would be my set-list:

Re-ordering some of the songs in my previous post, my own set list would be:

1 - Cha-La Head-Cha-La
2 - Aitsu Wa Son Goku
3 - Burning Fight (DBZ Movie 8 ED)
4 - Mind Power ~Ki~
5 - Hikari No Tabi
6 - Ougon No Compasu
7 - Unmei No Hi
8 - SpacePeople DBZ
9 - Marugoto
10 - Dragon Power Mugendai
11 - Zaikyou Wa No Fusion
12 - Ore wa Tokoton Tomaranai!! (DBZ Budoukai 3 Theme)

I would want to kick off the set with Cha-La Head-Cha-La, not end the set. Give the crowd something that they'd mark out for immediately. I'd send them home happy with the Budoukai 3 theme.

Ideally I'd like to hear a good number of DBZ songs, but I'd love to hear some great giant robot songs that JAM Project is known for. Giant robot songs tend to make people all fired up, so I think the crowd at Otakon will be wired beyond belief during and after the JAM Project concert.
Last edited by Brakus on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:01 pm

About "Battle Point Unlimited" in the dub, I'm about 90% sure that it's in there. I'll have to watch again to make sure, as I haven't watched that disc in a couple weeks, but I'm quite sure it's there.

And, from my old days as a former wrestling fan, yes, the game series is Fire Pro Wrestling.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:14 pm

Saiyavenger2941 wrote:About "Battle Point Unlimited" in the dub, I'm about 90% sure that it's in there. I'll have to watch again to make sure, as I haven't watched that disc in a couple weeks, but I'm quite sure it's there.
To quote that old spaghetti sauce commercial: Yes, it's in there.

I recently saw those first couple episodes (or so) of the Trunks saga, and when Trunks touches down on the ground at the end of that one episode, it is indeed one of those "holy crap" moments from the series. The very next episode, especially when he deals with Frieza and *SCHWUNK!* slices him with that big sword.... I was like, wow.......... And with "Battle Point Unlimited" in the background, it just MADE the episode for me.

And for those that want it, this week only, DBZ Season 4 is on sale for $20 at Best Buy.
Last edited by Brakus on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:39 pm

Brakus wrote:
Saiyavenger2941 wrote:About "Battle Point Unlimited" in the dub, I'm about 90% sure that it's in there. I'll have to watch again to make sure, as I haven't watched that disc in a couple weeks, but I'm quite sure it's there.
To quote that old spaghetti sauce commercial: Yes, it's in there.

I recently saw those first couple episodes (or so) of the Trunks saga, and when Trunks touches down on the ground at the end of that one episode, it is indeed one of those "holy crap" moments from the series. The very next episode, especially when he deals with Frieza and *SCHWUNK!* slices him with that big sword.... I was like, wow.......... And with "Battle Point Unlimited" in the background, it just MADE the episode for me.
I love the dub music, honestly, but that song makes that scene. Nothing fits better, if you ask me. That scene alone made me switch to the Japanese music permanently on repeat viewings.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:34 pm

While I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Kageyama's music (I enjoy listening to it, but probably not on your guys' level), I still found this episode pretty enjoyable. I agree with you guys that it's stuff like the music in the original version that dub fans are especially missing.

I also completely see where that one guy is coming from with that question about Yamcha. It reminded me of this one write-up discussing the character of L in Death Note's apparent case of autism and how "these fictional 'odd' characters are often much beloved by fans, while their real-life counterparts... aren't." As Meri brought up, I've just come to the conclusion that some girls are just weird like that :?.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:59 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:I also completely see where that one guy is coming from with that question about Yamcha. It reminded me of this one write-up discussing the character of L in Death Note's apparent case of autism and how "these fictional 'odd' characters are often much beloved by fans, while their real-life counterparts... aren't." As Meri brought up, I've just come to the conclusion that some girls are just weird like that :?.
Interesting article, I guess that would explain why I've been noticing various L qualities in myself (I have Autism myself). I have noticed that girls I've met do like people like that as friends but they don't like them. I guess English girls are more accepting but its not what they look for in a guy.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

ssjsupervegeta08

Post by ssjsupervegeta08 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:30 pm

I would also like to point out that Arale and Gatchan can also ride Kinto'un in volume 7(I believe) of the VIZ translation.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Gaiash wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:I also completely see where that one guy is coming from with that question about Yamcha. It reminded me of this one write-up discussing the character of L in Death Note's apparent case of autism and how "these fictional 'odd' characters are often much beloved by fans, while their real-life counterparts... aren't." As Meri brought up, I've just come to the conclusion that some girls are just weird like that :?.
Interesting article, I guess that would explain why I've been noticing various L qualities in myself (I have Autism myself). I have noticed that girls I've met do like people like that as friends but they don't like them. I guess English girls are more accepting but its not what they look for in a guy.
... that link led me to what may be the most intelligent material I've ever read in my life.
This required multiple people (author of the article, links to stuff, and then the stuff that led me to... as well as those that post it (DaemonCorps~!), the admin that allowed such a post (VegettoEX~!) and the subject of the forum on which it was posted (DragonBall~!).
... Awesome. All of you rule to the extreme.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

tlsmith1963

Post by tlsmith1963 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:26 pm

And, from my old days as a former wrestling fan, yes, the game series is Fire Pro Wrestling.
If "Battle Point Unlimited" is the song that plays when Mirai (Future) Trunks first goes Super Saiyan, then it's definitely on the remastered set, on both the sub & dub. I remembered thinking, "I like that song. It's cool".