Does Dragon Ball Super need an anthology saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBFanTalk

Does Dragon Ball Super need an anthology saga?

Post by DBFanTalk » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:45 pm

Anthology, a collection of poems or other pieces of writing or music.

A common complaint in the community is audience dissatisfaction with underutilized characters, e.g. the supportive cast routinely overshadowed by Goku and Vegeta. I think an anthology saga can address this problem. The concept of an anthology saga is a collection of one-shot stories, each manga-chapter featuring an individual character as its protagonist.

The structure would mirror an episode of your average 22-minute action show (Teen Titans, Ben 10, Spider-Man). The object of the anthology is to offer variety, appealing to a broader spectrum of audience expectations. A character that was previously underutilized will now be used at maximum capacity.

What are your thoughts? Does Dragon Ball Super need an anthology saga? If so, what character warrants a place in this saga?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does Dragon Ball Super need an anthology saga?

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:49 pm

Personally I always felt that Dragon Ball has a lot of potential for at least one Pokémon Chronicles-style side-series which covers side characters or shows interesting moments in the past that we've never seen before. Goku learning Instant Transmission, Roshi besting Korin, etc. Some of the filler arcs like Gohan's training or Goku's training with Kami technically already fulfill this quite well!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:31 pm

Didn’t Dragon Ball Super end?

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:52 pm

Series like Attack on Titan and Naruto have spin off manga series, I'm surprise Dragonball hasn't had more outside of Jaco and the Yamcha oneshot volumes.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Rouge the Bat
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rouge the Bat » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:01 pm

Well, there are many other DB spin-off mangas, the most famous being the SUPER DRAGON BALL HEROES mangas by Yoshitaka Nagayama!!...

( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43937 )

( https://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/spin-offs/game/ )

My dream is to have a new spin-off manga dedicated to Universe 6 drawn by Dragon Garow Lee, the equivalent of Akira Toriyama's original manga but dealing with Universe 6 and forinstance the childhood of the chosen heroes (Saiyans???) till the Champa / Beerus tournament!!...

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:54 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:49 pm Personally I always felt that Dragon Ball has a lot of potential for at least one Pokémon Chronicles-style side-series which covers side characters or shows interesting moments in the past that we've never seen before. Goku learning Instant Transmission, Roshi besting Korin, etc. Some of the filler arcs like Gohan's training or Goku's training with Kami technically already fulfill this quite well!
I would totally love to see these stories told in short YouTube episodes like they did with Pokemon Generations, or recently Pokemon Twilight Wings.

I bet they would be incredibly popular, especially if they were to be approved by Toriyama and made canonical.
And surely they would be much more interesting than Super Dragon Ball Heroes.

It would be especially amazing if they tried to follow the art-style of the various eras in which those stories happened. And the possibilities would be unlimited!
Off the top of my head here’s some possible stories they could tell in this format:
- Grandpa Gohan finding Goku, training him and eventually getting killed by the Oozaru;
- Yamcha meeting Puar and their past;
- Bulma discovering the DBs and recovering the first DBs she had at the beginning;
- Show the first guy who gathered the DBs on Earth;
- Pilaf gang past;
- Kamesennin training under Mutaito and Korin and later coming up with the Kamehameha and training his first two disciples: Gohan and Gyumao;
- Krillin’s past at his dojo and his decision to leave it;
- Mutaito vs Piccolo Daimao;
- The past of Tenshinan and Chaozu;
- Goku and company training in the 3 years before the 22nd Budokai and the 23rd;
- Some stuff in the 5 years gap between the 23rd Tenkaichi and the Saiyan arc;

I will stop here, but I think this is enough to show that they could indeed tell countless of stories, and they could be very interesting and fun!
I know some of these were already shown as fillers, but if they made them in good quality like Pokemon does and in short carefully written episodes they could be much better than any filler.
Or they could tell some of this stuff through one-shots mangas.
Maybe once Super is over and they need new ideas to milk the franchise?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:37 pm

I'd prefer if the manga found a way to bring the side characters into the new arcs again, but there's plenty of stuff an anthology series could cover.
  • A Hit side-story
  • Goku and Vegeta mentor the U6 Saiyans
  • The story of Tenshinhan's people
  • The Warriors of New Namek, maybe Piccolo visits
  • Jiren post-TOP
  • Toppo becomes a GoD
And that's just off the top of my head, there's plenty more they can do aside from that. Lots of fighters from the other universes in the ToP can get fleshed out more as actual characters instead of just U7's cannon fodder.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:03 pm

I'd like to see a few episodes dedicated to Gowasu. I want to see how he is coping with Zamasu's loss and if he is already trying to find a new apprentice (he's quite old for a Kai).

Also I'd like to see a few episodes revolving around the first meeting of Zamasu and Gowasu; in particular I'd love to see that special panel from the manga animated (the one where Gowasu chooses Zamasu as his apprentice).

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:06 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:03 pm I'd like to see a few episodes dedicated to Gowasu. I want to see how he is coping with Zamasu's loss and if he is already trying to find a new apprentice (he's quite old for a Kai).

Also I'd like to see a few episodes revolving around the first meeting of Zamasu and Gowasu; in particular I'd love to see that special panel from the manga animated (the one where Gowasu chooses Zamasu as his apprentice).
Nice ideas. It would also be nice to see Black killing all the Kaioshins, especially now that each one got a design. They could also show Black and Zamasu killing other mortals and the first attacks on Earth in more detail, and also Black learning Goku’s moves and getting used to the body.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:10 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:06 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:03 pm I'd like to see a few episodes dedicated to Gowasu. I want to see how he is coping with Zamasu's loss and if he is already trying to find a new apprentice (he's quite old for a Kai).

Nice ideas. It would also be nice to see Black killing all the Kaioshins, especially now that each one got a design. They could also show Black and Zamasu killing other mortals and the first attacks on Earth in more detail, and also Black learning Goku’s moves and getting used to the body.
Definitely. There is a whole year between Black assault and the Future Trunks arc, they could come up with some very good stories for that arc. Plus we know that Black already destroyed several mortal civilizations before coming to Earth, that could be an interesting way to tie in for example the namekians, the yardrat, or perhaps mortals from other universes like those weird humans from U2.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:27 am

I think that would be an interesting thing to have between the main series. By doing something like this, they'll be able to jump around all over the timeline without worrying about moving the main story forward. We could get an arc revolving around Vegeta's life before going to earth, followed by an arc focused on Hit for example. If done right, there's a lot of great story potential within such a series.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:08 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:31 pm Didn’t Dragon Ball Super end?

Hopefully it stays that way! :lol:

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:23 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:27 am I think that would be an interesting thing to have between the main series. By doing something like this, they'll be able to jump around all over the timeline without worrying about moving the main story forward. We could get an arc revolving around Vegeta's life before going to earth, followed by an arc focused on Hit for example. If done right, there's a lot of great story potential within such a series.
I don't really care too much about learning even more about Vegeta because what else do we need to know about him?

Hit, however, I'm down for. I've always loved the way Hit looks as a character, and centering a spin-off manga on him would be great. That's a character you could absolutely create stories around.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:26 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:23 pmI don't really care too much about learning even more about Vegeta because what else do we need to know about him?
I don't just mean Vegeta but pretty much any character. With a long running show they'd be able to give us stories about him and pretty much anyone else they want. If it's 52 episodes, they'd be able to give each character 2-3 episode stories each and cover a lot of ground with it.