Kanzenshuu's favorite arcs. UPDATE: The results

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Kanzenshuu's favorite arcs.

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:53 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:26 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:59 am Using average scores would be much better, and is the ideal metric for these kinds of polls.
What i'll do is list how many people voted for each show to give a better idea about where things stand.
Why not calculate averages yourself? It is not that hard to do...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:48 am

Cipher wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:16 am Baby (all of 1-40 would go in this tier; it's one arc)
I personally find it a bit unfair to connect those two arcs. It's like saying Saiyan and Frieza arcs are one arc because one begins right after another. Unless of course you think there is no quality difference between Black Star and Baby arcs.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:01 am

The results are looking great. The Saiyan and Namek arcs are literally one point away from each other from taking the top spot, but can a few of you give the Super 17 and Golden Freeza arcs an S or an A ? the poor things haven't even reached 10 points yet. :lol:

16 votes have been cast so far, so keep going. :thumbup:
sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:48 am
Cipher wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:16 am Baby (all of 1-40 would go in this tier; it's one arc)
I personally find it a bit unfair to connect those two arcs. It's like saying Saiyan and Frieza arcs are one arc because one begins right after another. Unless of course you think there is no quality difference between Black Star and Baby arcs.
I have them as one because despite baby being introduced, the gang is still in space looking for the dragon balls. Had they found them and then baby was introduced then I might've split things up.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:47 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:48 am I personally find it a bit unfair to connect those two arcs. It's like saying Saiyan and Frieza arcs are one arc because one begins right after another.
There's no resolution of any kind until Baby's defeat. I don't think it's any more logical to separate them than it is to separate the Saiyaman/tournament portions out from the Boo arc, although people do.

The Saiyan arc has its own clear beginning, rising action, and resolution, before its aftermath leads into the Namek arc. They're linked in terms of plot points, but there are still two distinct story arcs there. I can only ever see the first 40 episodes of GT as starting with Goku and co. going into space to look for the Dragon Balls and ending with Goku versus Baby.

Even offering the climax of the M2 mini-arc, Episode 22, as a resolution for whatever the supposed smaller, first arc of GT is doesn't work. That would be the most logical place for it, but the gang contend with Baby out in space with no shift in focus for the next several episodes, before Baby beats them to Earth. The Ultimate Dragon Balls and even the idea of visiting other planets, with the climactic fight taking place on Planet Plant, are in play until the end.
Unless of course you think there is no quality difference between Black Star and Baby arcs.
There may be a quality difference, but I also think there's a quality difference between the front and back halves of the Cell arc, so...

Thinking it picks up after its first 14 or so episodes wouldn't impact its spot in my ranking were I to cut them though. Ultimately it's just the most sort of it-is-what-it-is adventure+villain-of-the-day arc for me. I have fun with it, and there isn't an arc ranked anywhere in my post that I don't mostly enjoy, but it would still be on the bottom of the sequel series' arcs for me. It and the Moro arc, while enjoyable, are both kind of very safe, standard "more DB." Fun! But not something I'm going to put over the others. I realize that's kind of strange with the Super #17 arc placed above it, but again, I really didn't want to rank that one on its own, and simply enjoy the back "half" of GT more, as it's all building to something more interesting than Baby.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:11 pm

Cipher wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:47 pm I don't think it's any more logical to separate them than it is to separate the Saiyaman/tournament portions out from the Boo arc, although people do.
Well the difference is, there are no Saiyaman or Tournament arcs, it's officialy one arc. But Black Star and Baby are indeed separate arcs.

And of course episode 22 makes the most sense as it's when first arc actually ends. While it's true that everything in first arc was kinda result of Baby's orders to Myu, it's Myu and Rildo who are the main antagonists of that arc and Baby didn't care about entire machine-mutant army thing, his goal was completely different from what Myu tried to acomplish, as it was all just an excuse for Baby to grow in power. Afterall, he killed both Rildo and Myu as he didn't need them.

So i don't know how much is it different from Saiyan/Frieza arcs, as Vegeta's goal was to get immortality and get rid of Frieza from the very start. It's not like they came to Earth to avenge Raditz. In both cases we have connected stories but with completely different plot and main villain. It's just that transition from Black Star and Baby arcs is very smooth, almost unnoticable, especially considering Goku and other are still looking for dragon balls in space when this arc starts.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:14 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:11 pmAnd of course episode 22 makes the most sense as it's when first arc actually ends.
The gang is still looking for the dragon balls well into the part where Baby's on earth, so nothing is resolved. It doesn't function at all as a separate arc, just as trying to start a new arc with ep23 doesn't work.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:05 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:11 pm
Cipher wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:47 pm I don't think it's any more logical to separate them than it is to separate the Saiyaman/tournament portions out from the Boo arc, although people do.
Well the difference is, there are no Saiyaman or Tournament arcs, it's officialy one arc. But Black Star and Baby are indeed separate arcs.
Officially Toei will occasionally define “The Great Saiyaman” arc as episode 200-219 and separate it from the Boo arc. As well as sometimes split the Namek arc into the Namek arc (episode 36-74) and Freeza arc (episode 75-107) and that’s not even getting into the incredibly asinine classification of sagas FUNimation pulls out of their asses which, while incredibly stupid and non-sensical, are “official” and I think they’ve also gone back and forth on their classifications

If the companies behind the series can’t consistently classify the story arcs very well it’s no wonder fans can’t agree on it either.

marumuju
Patreon Supporter

Post by marumuju » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:44 pm

Original (manga):

S: 23rd Tenka’ichi Budōkai arc, Namek/Freeza arcs, Saiyan arc, 21st Tenka’ichi Budōkai, Red Ribbon Army/Uranai Baba arcs, 22nd Tenka’ichi Budōkai arc

A: Son Goku arc

B: Demon King Piccolo, Artificial Human/Cell arcs

C: Great Saiyaman/Majin Boo arcs

Super (manga):

S: Future Trunks arc

A: Universe Survival arc

B: Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc

C: Battle of Gods arc, God of Destruction Champa arc

I haven't watched either GT or Super animes, nor Z except a small sample of Android Saga... I tried to format my answers in the same way as they were in the original post (although I used Kanzenshuu's namings for the arcs, sorry about that. Since we are on that forum and all… :oops: )

I also wasn't able to place in which slot Uranai Baba arc would fit with the count but it doesn't matter since both the arcs around it get an S from me, so it shouldn't mess with the count.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:24 am

Fashionably late.

My listing of arcs within a rank (everything in A, for example) is in no particular order. Everything here is either the manga or movies since a lot of anime stuff would just end up going straight into F. If you're not qualifying movies, that's cool, but I'll list them anyway for clarification's sake.

S: Boo, Freeza, Saiyan, Red Ribbon, Broly (movie)
A: Piccolo Daimao, all Budokais, Prologue, Battle of Gods (movie)
B: Androids/Cell, Universe Survival, Universe 6 Tournament
C: Future Trunks, Resurrection 'F' (movie)
D: Galactic Patrol Prisoner
F: GT's arcs

Disclaimer: GT has likeable qualities and I actually don't think it's the spawn of hell. I just don't feel it stands up to anything in OG DB or the Super manga. But yes, I'm purposely assigning no points to it.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:56 am

Relatively how much I enjoy them, an arc being above or below another within the tier have no meaning and their placement is just what came to my mind first when writing the list.

S-Tier
  • Saiyan
  • 23rd Tenka'Ichi Budokai
A - Tier:
  • Red Ribbon Army
  • Super's Future Trunks
  • Piccolo Daimaou
  • 22nd Tenka'Ichi Budokai
  • Universe Survival
B - Tier:
  • 21st Tenka'Ichi Budokai
  • Hunt for the DBs
  • Freeza
  • Battle of Gods
C - Tier:
  • Cell
  • Baby
  • Majin Buu
  • Universe 6 Tournament
  • Evil Dragons
D - Tier:
  • GT's Hunt for the DBs
F - Tier:
  • Super 17
  • Ressurection 'F'
-------------------------
EDIT: added the F - Tier
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:07 am

I will be posting the results within the next 12-15 hours so if anyone's still interested in voting, here's your chance. :mrgreen:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:03 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:07 am I will be posting the results within the next 12-15 hours so if anyone's still interested in voting, here's your chance. :mrgreen:
Alright, let's do this:

S - Saiyan, 23rd WMAT
A - Red Ribbon Army/Uranai Baba, 22nd WMAT, 21st WMAT
B - Namek/Freeza, Baby, Son Goku/Emperor Pilaf, Majin Boo, Galactic Patrol Prisoner
C - Great Saiyaman, Champa/Universe 6, Demon King Piccolo, Android/Cell
D - Future Trunks, Universal Survival, Evil Dragons, Black Star Dragon Balls,
F - Battle Of Gods, Garlic Jr., Resurrection F, Other World Tournament, Super 17

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:48 am

Almost forgot, please throw Garlic Jr. straight into the F(ire) tier for me. I definitely don't want that one to get any points either.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:13 am

Based on 20 overall votes, 20 for Z, 19 for DB, 18 for Super, & 16 for GT, these are the final results of this fair arc election:

The number one arc with an outstanding 92 points is:
The number two arc with 87 points is:
The number three arc with 81 points is:
Tied for last place with a very pathetic 8 points are:
The rankings for every other arc:
Thank you all for participating. :mrgreen: :clap:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:19 am

Not gonna lie, I did not anticipate the 23rd Tournament to go to the top three.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:40 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:19 am Not gonna lie, I did not anticipate the 23rd Tournament to go to the top three.
What surprises me is how high the RRA arc is, I never thought it's make the top5.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:57 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:19 am Not gonna lie, I did not anticipate the 23rd Tournament to go to the top three.
on the one i did 5 years ago, the 23rd budokai was 4th, just missing out on the top 3 cus of the freeza arc. i was actually a little surprised to see the boo arc still be in the top 5, not because i dislike it or anything, but because i feel like there was a period where, at least on here, the boo and cell arcs got sorta critically re-evaluated, which lead to some people going a bit overboard with their praise of the boo arc, and criticisms for the cell arc, but i could be projecting lol. so i expected to see a bit more of regression on it and a bit more progression for cell.

23rd budokai still a little overrated though, give me the first 2 tournaments any day of the week.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Kanzenshuu's favorite arcs. UPDATE: The results

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:19 am

Oh boy, so late, anyway:

S: Saiyan arc, Namek arc.

A: Every TB, RR army arc, BoG, Broly, Jaco.

B: Cell arc, Buu arc, U6 arc, Piccolo Daimao arc, ToP, Moro arc, SS4 arc.

C: FT arc, Shadow Dragons arc.

D: RoF, most of GT, Minus.

F: Super 17 arc.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kanzenshuu's favorite arcs. UPDATE: The results

Post by Kakarotto92 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:58 pm

Missed the deadline, but still:

S: Piccolo Daimao, 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, Saiyan, Namek
A: Jinzouningen/Cell, Majin Boo, 22nd TB
B: 21st TB, Red Ribbon Army, Galactic Patrol Prisoner, Future Trunks
C: Hunt for the Dragon Balls, Battle of Gods, U6 Tournament, Universe Survival, Baby
D: Black Star Dragon Balls, Shadow Dragons
F: RoF, Super 17

RoF would probably be a C or a D if it was the movie version. Broly, a C I guess.

Also, it should be mentioned that out of the 20 arcs that were ranked in this thread, the Moro arc is the only one to have never been animated, which is a disadvantage (some users didn't even include it in their rankings since they haven't read it, making it get zero points). If it ever gets an anime adaptation, with good animation, art and the right choice for Moro's seiyuu, I'm sure it will rank a bit higher in threads and polls like these.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:07 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:40 am
What surprises me is how high the RRA arc is, I never thought it's make the top5.
It's never been a very popular arc throughout most of the last 25 years, but ever since the DBD videos on it, all of the sudden it started getting overrated by some in the community. Same thing happened with the Piccolo Daimao arc, which had always been popular, but post-DBD started getting underrated. Don't get me wrong the I love the RRA arc, I just find it "interesting" how some people in the community did a 180 on their opinions of DB arcs, because they watched a subjective review series.