GT Good Characters-Techniques Guide

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

GT Good Characters-Techniques Guide

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri May 23, 2008 2:24 am

I made this quite a long while ago and through subtle and gradual edits, I think it's finally ready to be posted, a comprehensive guide on the main good characters of DragonBall GT. It's made entirely based off my own point of view of the series. I personally view GT as taking place 10 years after the DBZ anime's conclusion and is in the following view of mine of the anime "canon":

Bardock Special.
Original DragonBall Series -- Episodes 1 - 153.
Dead Zone Movie.
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 1 - 117.
Trunks Special.
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 118 - 125 (till the point where the screen freezes as the 3 years quickly pass by).
Cooler's Revenge Movie.
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 125 (from the last minute of this episode when the 3 years have passed) - 176.
Super Android 13 Movie (set in "Timeline 4", where Cell never came to the past and the Androids were defeated differently).
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 177 - 194.
Bojack Unbound Movie.
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 195 - 288.
Wrath of the Dragon Movie.
"Heya!! The Return of Son Goku & Friends!" Special.
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 289 - 291.
DragonBall GT Series -- Episodes 1 - 64 (right up to the final 8 minute sequence, culminating with Goku departing with Shenlong).
Goku Jr. Special.
DragonBall GT Series -- Episode 64 (the final 8 minutes, 100 years later).

With all that in mind, here's hoping you all like what I put together. I might do a similar guide on the villains of GT, we'll see. Here's hoping this doesn't get too much negative imput, I'll do one character per post in order to give me time to place companion pics, 10 characters in all. First up, the man whom GT seems to be all about:

Son Goku

Biography: The pure Saiyan born Kakarrot, raised on Earth as Son Goku, whom defeated Majin Buu and the beast Hildegarn has spent the last 10 years training his chosen human apprentice, Oob. After the training concludes, he is finally ready to settle down for retirement with his wife, Chichi; confident the next generation can now take care of his precious planet Earth. However, fate has one more cruel trick for Goku; from the ashes of his own distant past, Pilaf returns with his cronies in search of the mythic Black-Star Dragonballs. When the two confront each other for the first time in decades, the gargantuan red Shenlong has already been summoned by Pilaf, whom misunderstands his desire for Goku to be a kid again. With this moment, Goku is transformed into a child, no taller than he was when he first appeared in original DragonBall. Through out the upcoming arcs, he must seek out the Black-Star Dragonballs in order to keep the Earth from being destroyed by their fatal aftereffect. With the son of his once fiercest rival and the unexpected company of his own Granddaughter, Goku sets out on the newest and grandest journey of his life, one that has never been heard or told before. However, it doesn't end there, as he finds out sooner than later. An enemy from the past of the Saiyan race, enemies from Goku and his friends' own history, and a destructive consequence of the Earth's own Dragonballs lay in wait. But just when Son Goku thinks he's done it all, a new Super Saiyan transformation awaits him, one that could be the key to regaining his adult form.

Techniques:

Bukujutsu - Literally meaning lighter than air, it's the ability to manifest one's Ki in order to fly his or her body. Goku first visually mastered this ability during his final attack against Piccolo in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. He taught the ability to his Granddaughter, Pan, as well as his apprentice Oob.

Telepathy - Thanks to years of practice, Goku has the ability to mentally contact with another of his friends, most prominently used on occasions with Pan.

Zanzoken - Also known as an Afterimage, this technique was first learned by Goku during his time at the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai. Over time, Goku's developed it to a point where he can create dozens among dozens of images, as well as correspond his with someone else's.

Taiyoken - An eye-blinding technique patented by Tenshinhan that Goku first demonstrated at the 23rd Budokai and still uses to this day on a couple occasions.

Instantaneous Movement - Goku's most useful non-deadly technique. A maneuver he learned on the planet Yardrat, he can dematerialize his body through a highly focused method and travel at the speed of light. Unfortunately for his youthful form, it's utterly impossible for him to teleport beyond a few paces, speculated by Trunks and Elder Kaioshin to be due to his younger body not being able to handle the transmission. Goku's only able to access the technique if he's at his Super Saiyan 4 level, hence it can only be performed when he's back at his adult body. When at level 4, it's heightened to a considerable degree, so much that Goku can literally lock on and teleport to the bacteria in the air around an enemy if they have no Ki signature (notably Super 17).

Ki Blast - Typical, ordinary Ki blast that can be launched in generic, multiple, or full-energy powered forms.

Kamehame-Ha - Goku's signature and most often used technique, it's the first attack he learned from Master Roshi from decades past. He can choose to either launch a normal version of the attack or put all of his power into a maximum, super version.

10x Kamehame-Ha - A new attack that Goku has patented and uses in his Super Saiyan 4 stage, exclusive to this level only. It has even more power put into it than a maximum powered Kamehame-Ha normally would, resulting in an attack so intense that a red aura emanates from it. Goku can also use a delayed-reaction version which, while not immediately doing any noticeable damage to an opponent, does significant damage later on; this version of the attack has a distinguishable blue aura rather than red.

Ryu-ken - A literal Dragon Fist attack that Goku first used to defeat Hildegarn, it's his most powerful physical attack that uniquely manifests his body into the form of a golden dragon. When he used it at Super Saiyan 3 in DBZ movie 13, he quite possibly tapped into the 100% full power he spoke of using against Kid Buu (though never had a chance). He's capable of using it in his normal form as a child, though it's most powerful when he uses it at Super Saiyan 4. It's unknown when he patented the attack, though the best assumption is during the near-year long amount of time between Buu's defeat and the events with Hildegarn.

Fusion - A very intriguing technique Goku learned from the Metamoreans that is neither an offensive or defensive maneuver in battle, but an ability that allows the user to temporarily merge with a fellow individual of the same race whom shares a similar body size and equal power level. Goku would only use this ability once while in his Super Saiyan 4 form to merge with Vegeta, although he'd deny Goten and Trunks an opportunity to form an adult version of Gotenks. The fusion's resulting Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is the most powerful character in the entire DragonBall franchise.

Genki-dama - If enough energy is gathered, this is Goku's most powerful and deadly attack. Ironically, it has only ever defeated two enemies, Kid Buu and the threat of Super Yi Xing Long. He learned the technique from the legendary Lord Kaio after his first death, it's an attack that he's very rarely used since the battle with Freeza, mainly because with power gathered from an entire planet and its solar system, even that couldn't kill Freeza alone (who was only at 50% of his maximum). Therefore, when used more recently, he's made certain to gather energy from as many Earthlings as possible. Once Goku utilizes it to take down the final dark dragon, he not only gathers energy from the Earth and all its inhabitants left, but every person he ever met in the entire universe; living world and afterlife.

Kamikaze Attack - An attack performed only one time, it's Goku's own version of an ultimate suicide. While at Super Saiyan 4, it's literally his last resort if there's no other hope, as he must maneuver himself to grab his opponent from behind and convert all of his power and life-energy into a singular explosion. When attempting to perform it against Super 17 however, he accidentally survives due to a shield 17 would throw up just in the nick of time, protecting both of them from the killing force of the attack. Goku would come very close to using it once more against Super Yi Xing Long, although due to Vegeta's sudden arrival on the battle field, he decides against it.

Super Saiyan - Goku's first physical transformation, although he still has quite a few more levels beyond it. It's his most preferred form for battle, presumably because it doesn't consume Ki as quickly as the latter choices, along with it being the form he's most used to fighting in.

Super Saiyan 2 - Goku's least preferred form to battle in, he only ascends to this level when he's in a jam in order to block a very powerful attack his ordinary Super Saiyan level couldn't stand up to (attacks from such enemies as Rilldo and Super 17).

Super Saiyan 3 - Goku uses this form only twice as a child, both occasions being against Bebi-Vegeta. Presumably because it takes two (merged) child bodies and one fully matured adult body to be able to support level 3, Goku is unable to sustain the form for very long in his youthful status, no more than a minute at best. He is able to maintain a decent stance against Bebi-Vegeta when he has his tail re-grown (it's worth pointing out that this is the only ascended form where the tail is golden), but it doesn't prove much better than their first round due to the reduced condition of his body.

Super Saiyan 4 - Goku's most powerful form, surpassing even post-merging Oob. It's in this form where he is able to utilize his previously nullified Instantaneous Movement, as well as revert back to his adult body whenever need-be. It differs from previous forms in that Goku's hair returns to its original color while his torso and arms sport red fur in place of upper clothing. Displaying red outlines around his eyes, his pectoral muscles are formed in a manner that resembles the Great Ape form, yet Goku is clearly back in a normal status; he seems to be at a mixture between the Great Ape and his adult body at its prime. This comes through in personality as well, as he displays a rage and bloodlust that goes far enough where he won't hesitate to kill an enemy, though he still maintains his emotions and awareness of reason.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:53 am, edited 10 times in total.
14 years later

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Fri May 23, 2008 3:46 am

It was an enjoyable read, I can say that much. I look forward to a write-up on Vegeta.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon May 26, 2008 6:53 pm

DominatorLost wrote:It was an enjoyable read, I can say that much.
Many thanks.

Son Pan

Biography: The daughter of Gohan and Videl, Pan is Goku's only grandchild and is powerful enough to stand up against the adults at their normal forms, as well as sport an anger on par to her paternal Grandmother. She was trained by Goku once she was old enough to walk and talk, capable of flying around the world by the age of 5. As many years have gone by since he left to train Oob, Pan's been awaiting his return with the rest of her family, although is shocked by the manner in which he comes back. Now a child, "Grandpa" needs to venture into the far reaches of the universe to locate the Black-Star Dragonballs before their dangerous aftereffects result in the Earth's destruction, getting Goten and Trunks recruited for the ride. However, Pan would have different plans, stowing away and launching the ship before her Uncle could join aboard. While Pan never quite becomes a Super Saiyan, she has a considerable hidden power potential and can manifest it if need-be, much like her Father before her. She would also prove to play a key part in Goku's pivotal ascension to the mighty Super Saiyan 4, as well as continue to assist her family against the threats of Super 17 and the dark dragons, even when her help hasn't been requested.

Techniques:

Bukujutsu - Literally meaning lighter than air, it's the ability to manifest one's Ki in order to fly his or her body. As a toddler, Pan was taught the ability of flight by her Grandfather, Goku.

Telepathy - While pretty limited in only being able to contact with Goku, Pan has a somewhat telepathic ability. It proves to come in handy for a couple particular enemies, notably the threats of the evil Luudo and the first dark dragon they encounter.

Slap - An unannounced physical attack of Pan's, she first demonstrated it against her first round opponent at the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai. While not a move to use against incredibly superior enemies, it still comes in quite handy for her teenaged self when wanting to show her opponent who's boss.

Ki Blast - Typical, ordinary Ki blast that can be launched in generic, multiple, or full-energy powered forms.

Maiden's Rage - An attack named by the Budokai Tenkaichi 2/Sparking! NEO video game, it's a two-handed energy attack similar to Vegeta's Final Flash that draws on Pan's hidden powers. While not a match against the likes of Bebi-Vegeta, it's powerful enough to kill a Sigma Machine Mutant.

Kamehame-Ha - After much practice, Pan fully masters the technique her Grandfather made famous. Early on, she launches it in unison with Trunks and Goku in order to get rid of Rilldo, though is only able to do it all on her own while she and "Grandpa" are battling the dark dragons.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
14 years later

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Mon May 26, 2008 9:06 pm

Wow, great content. Personally, I think it would be a blast if the Daizex website had a section like this. It would make for great reference.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon May 26, 2008 9:38 pm

Nice job, you really put a lot of work into this.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:49 pm

Woot, excellent read. It's so well thought-out. And Slap is obviously the best addition to this. Heh.

This makes the show seen compelling though... which is shenanegins. But really, I can't wait to see more of this. :P
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue May 27, 2008 12:24 am

Well done, it's great that you labled Son Pan as you did, it's sad how little she is recognized as a part of the Son family. Great touch!

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:42 am

I really like this, I'm all about techniques and I think the info and images you have provided are a great format.
But dude, you should put Masenko in Pan's section. Check out the episode where Uub fights Babi, at one point Pan flies over and fires what is undeniably a Masenko blast at Vegeta-Bebi's head.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue May 27, 2008 4:39 am

Hero 004 wrote:But dude, you should put Masenko in Pan's section. Check out the episode where Uub fights Babi, at one point Pan flies over and fires what is undeniably a Masenko blast at Vegeta-Bebi's head.
While it is the same hand gesture, I didn't count it as a Masenko; Pan had no training from her Dad or Piccolo and she didn't call out "Masenko!" when blasting, hence I consider it a fully-powered energy blast. Trunks is next~

Couple above pics have either been added or altered, for both Goku and Pan.
14 years later

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Tue May 27, 2008 10:43 am

Does anyone have any idea about Pan's "Side Atomic Blitz" move? From what I known it appeared in Final Bout and it looks like a Kamehameha, but she shouts something during it (probably a taunt).

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:14 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote: While it is the same hand gesture, I didn't count it as a Masenko; Pan had no training from her Dad or Piccolo and she didn't call out "Masenko!" when blasting, hence I consider it a fully-powered energy blast. Trunks is next~
Aw man, we disagree there. Looking forward to trunks, good work!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed May 28, 2008 4:06 am

The Saiyan prince comes next. Made a few last alterations and additions to above pics for Goku & Pan, hopefully ya' all like them. I'd like to say, many thanks to MFG (myfavoritegames.com) for some of the screen-caps.

Trunks

Biography: The son of Vegeta and Bulma, as well as the older brother of Bra, Trunks is now fully grown and a completely different person in personality from his alternate future counterpart. He's currently president of Capsule Corp., taking over for his Grandfather before him, and continually bringing the company to great success with each contract he has signed. Because of slacking off in training, he's chosen by Vegeta with Goten to accompany Goku into outer space on the mission to return the Black-Star Dragonballs back to Earth, although Pan's subsequent stowaway slightly alters and complicates things for the journey. While staying well-trained over the years, his slack attitude resulted in him not getting as far in power as his alternate future counterpart had. He's still best friends with Goten and willing to perform Fusion these days just as efficiently as when they were kids, while the journey into space also leads Pan to view him as her best friend. He forms a strong bond with the robot Gill, so strong that Trunks is the only person in the ship crew that the little machine confides in about the rumors of Bebi's rise and end of the Machine Mutants. Trunks is very loyal to both his Father and Goku, a trustworthy friend to the end, still carrying the sword Tapion bequeathed him after all these years.

Techniques:

Bukujutsu - Literally meaning lighter than air, it's the ability to manifest one's Ki in order to fly his or her body. As a child, Trunks learned this ability while training under his Father, often taunting Goten during their play-fights when the latter couldn't yet fly.

Ki Flash - An unannounced technique Trunks comes up with much later in the series to distract Super Yi Xing Long from the Gogeta fusion, differing from the Taiyoken in a manner that Trunks intensely manipulates his normal form aura pointblank to the enemy in order to blind him.

Double Buster - An attack named by the video game Budokai 2, it's a technique Trunks patented as a child, though rarely uses as an adult. While under the possession of Bebi for a short time, he's certain it's powerful enough to do fatal damage to Goku at pointblank range.

Kamehame-Ha - Master Roshi, Goku, and Gohan's signature attack that Trunks is capable of using, though is only seen using in a single combined attack.

Fusion - Learned from Goku when he was only a child with Goten, it's neither an offensive or defensive maneuver in battle, but an ability that allows the user to temporarily merge with a fellow individual of the same race whom shares a similar body size and equal power level. Even though many years have passed since their last merging, Trunks and Goten are 100% confident they can still pull off the technique and merge into Gotenks. However, because Goku would see the technique as being futile against the massive power of the Golden Great Ape form of Bebi-Vegeta, he insists they not perform it.

Super Saiyan - Trunks is at his most powerful when in this form, though he admits that even at his maximum, he's still inferior to the likes of his Father, Gohan, and Piccolo. Trunks never reaches the "ultra" stages as his future counterpart had, nor the advanced levels that Goku and Vegeta are capable of transforming to, but he does demonstrate intense courage and a decent power in the form.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed May 28, 2008 6:04 am

And to make up for the length of time between Goku, Pan, and Trunks... (Oob is next!)

Vegeta

Biography: The Prince of all Saiyans whom still holds a sense of loyalty to his race after all these years, Vegeta lives the life of a relaxed husband and father, though still keeps up his intense training. Even though he's long-since gotten over Goku being the superior and admitted him being number 1, he still trains in hopes for a decent all-out battle of sport between the two. In other aspects, he's also very protective of his daughter, being sure to fling away any snobbish teenager hitting on her or even flinging Bra herself if a dangerous enemy confronts him. Vegeta still holds much pride in the fact that he can put up a great battle, now being superior in power to Gohan, whom had slacked off significantly during the previous 20 years. He's eventually chosen by the evil Tsufuru, Bebi, to be his permanent host. Under such status, Vegeta's body experiences a grand amount of power on par to Super Saiyan 3, even ascending to the Golden Great Ape form of a true Legendary Super Saiyan. When all is said and done and he learns of the newest Super Saiyan 4 level "Kakarrot" has ascended to, he continues to train even harder than ever with a strong resolve, ready to defend the Earth from the threats of the returning evils from Hell led by Artificial Human 17. Even though Vegeta has never ascended to level 3, he's still evidently capable of converting from a regular Great Ape into the Golden form with help from Bulma, in the end allowing him to transform to a level he never thought possible.

Techniques:

Bukujutsu - Literally meaning lighter than air, it's the ability to manifest one's Ki in order to fly his or her body. Vegeta has been capable of flight ever since he was a small child.

Telepathy - Having known how to use this ability since the days of planet pirating with Nappa, Vegeta's still capable of making mental contact even to this day.

Zanzoken - The Afterimage technique that Vegeta learned years before, he still uses it to this day on certain occasions, most interestingly during a later plan in the series alongside "Kakarrot".

Galick-Ho - Even after all these years since his first battle with Goku, Vegeta's brought himself to use this attack out of nostalgia, most notably to try and take out Bebi-Gohan.

Fusion - Presumably learned in Hell from watching over Goku's last moments in the living world as he taught it to Goten and Trunks, it's neither an offensive or defensive maneuver in battle, but an ability that allows the user to temporarily merge with a fellow individual of the same race whom shares a similar body size and equal power level. Vegeta would only use this ability once while in his Super Saiyan 4 form to merge with "Kakarrot", resulting in the merged Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta.

Big Bang Attack - A favorite finishing technique very rarely used these days, Vegeta opts for differing attacks as of late, though Bebi makes certain to use it while possessing his body (albeit with the Final Flash stance). His fused counterpart, Gogeta, would later have an adapted version of it as well that combines with the Kamehame-Ha, forming the incredible Big Bang Kamehame-Ha.

Final Flash - Still after all these years, Vegeta finds use in this old attack of his, being a decent help for him in the battle with Super Yi Xing Long (though calling it out as "Final Attack" for this later moment). Under the possession of Bebi, the attack is also used quite a few times during the status of his body's converted form, though the stance is used for a "Big Bang Attack!" on one occasion.

Final Shine - Vegeta's most powerful long-distance attack which emanates a green aura, he presumably patents it during the time of peace after Bebi's defeat and chooses to use it while in Super Saiyan 2 form, though it can also deal greater damage while at level 4.

Super Saiyan - The form Vegeta originally thought was the pinnacle of his destiny, though as of the following arcs, it's only used for battle in the first portion of his fight with Bebi-Gohan.

Super Saiyan 2 - Vegeta's most prominent form in the series before Bulma reveals a startling discovery to him later on, he's noticeably now superior to Gohan when at full power. It's at this level where he first demonstrates his newest technique in form of the Final Shine, as well as ends up making brave stances against the might of Super 17 and a final attempt on Super Yi Xing Long.

Super Saiyan 4 - Vegeta's most powerful form, he at last ascends to a level that is exactly equal to that of "Kakarrot". It's only with Bulma's technological help in temporarily re-growing his tail that he's able to take the necessary steps in transforming, achieving his life's dream in reaching the true pinnacle of the Saiyan race. While knowing he'd die if confronting a full-powered Super Yi Xing Long, Vegeta's able to put up a decent fight against the last dark dragon while he's missing the 4-Star ball, as well as admits that the dragon's regular form would be nothing to him. Like Goku's form, Vegeta's body also takes on a Great Ape/Prime-Physiche mixture form, his hair reverting to its original color as he displays a darker shade of red fur. Unlike Goku's demonic looking yellow eyes though, Vegeta's are an ocean toned blue.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed May 28, 2008 9:00 am

Hot damn, I'm on a roll. Gohan comes next. To correct a mistake in my first post, I'm actually doing 10 characters, not 7.

Oob

Biography: Chosen to protect the Earth when just a boy, Oob is the human apprentice of Son Goku's. He's grown from a timid and shy child into a confident young man ready to succeed his master. Once Bebi arrives on Earth to invade the planet's populous, the young apprentice senses the danger and wisely bides his time for battle while hiding. By the time Oob makes his first showing to protect Pan from Bebi, Goku's life signature is already lost following the aftermath of his first round with the evil Tsufuru, resulting in Oob having only one thing on his mind; vengeance. Despite getting in a few good shots, Bebi's soon ready to wipe him out at his feet, though wouldn't be expecting Mr. Buu to make a surprise appearance; sacrificing his body to save the fallen warrior. It's during this warm moment that Buu reveals the truth to an injured Oob about his spiritual heritage, that he is in fact the reincarnation of the final form of the evil Majin Buu. At Buu's insistence, the two subsequently undergo a permanent merging, Buu's own spirit and remaining pieces of his body reuniting with his long-since separate half. This forms a physically altered Oob (sporting a more Majin looking physique), whom still maintains Buu's mind in the depths of his conscience, now equal in power to the likes of Bebi-Vegeta's final form. Oob realizes the equal status and knows he'd only win with brains over brawn, being sure to trick Bebi with a very unique method inherited from his Buu half. In the end, his clever thinking proves to help Super Saiyan 4 Goku to a great extent. Sadly, as the coming threats of Super 17 and the last of the dark dragons would prove even superior than Bebi, Oob ends up finding himself unable to help much. However, that would never stop him from trying, as he'd always be on the sidelines ready to help his master and friends in any way he could.

Techniques:

Bukujutsu - Literally meaning lighter than air, it's the ability to manifest one's Ki in order to fly his or her body. As a child, Oob had no idea how to master flight, though was able to learn it under the training Goku gives him.

Majin Endurance - Following his merging with Mr. Buu, Oob not only has his power increased greatly, but also gains a unique endurance factor. While his power drops if hit hard enough, he can withstand attacks that would normally kill any other opponent, one such time surviving a pointblank fully powered blast of Yi Xing Long's. Rather he has limitations to this ability or not isn't known, as we never see him displaying the actual ability of regeneration.

Kamehame-Ha - The signature attack of Master Roshi's that he'd patented ages ago, Oob learned this from Goku during his training, making certain that it'd prove a powerful technique just as it had for his master. While in his original form after his training, it proves to be his best attack to launch toward the evil Bebi-Vegeta.

Ultimate Blast - An unannounced two-handed energy attack Oob puts all his reserve Ki into, it's a technique he's only demonstrated once while battling with Goku in the depths of Kami's sanctuary. It was powerful enough that Goku barely managed to deflect it.

Chocolate Beam - A technique that can defeat an opponent in just one hit, Oob inherits this ability after his merging with Buu and nearly defeats Bebi with it when he catches him off guard. It differs from the method of Buu's beam in that Oob launches it from an index finger rather than his head, though he opts to not use it as much later in the series, possibly due to the risk of transforming innocent people if the beam misses.

Henka Kamehame-Ha - Oob's most powerful attack after he merges with Buu, it's a combination of his Chocolate Beam (being converted into a different appearing energy) and the Kamehame-Ha. It has the power force of a maximum powered Kamehame-Ha and the end-result of turning the opponent into a piece of chocolate, with the only time he uses it being against Bebi-Vegeta. However, as Oob would realize the equal status of power, he opts to cast a spell on the attack which can allow the victim to reform following consumption.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed May 28, 2008 10:33 am

Now moving on to my favorite character of DragonBall Z and GT, halfway done with the guide. Goten comes next, keep reply comments coming!

Son Gohan

Biography: The first born son of Goku and Chichi, Gohan is one of the strongest individuals in the universe and has done a great deal of good in his time. He's responsible for defeating the likes of Garlic Jr., Cell, and Bojack, as well as playing a key role in a number of other battles through out the previous DragonBall Z series. At his peek after Elder Kaioshin unlocked his full potential, Gohan was without a doubt the most powerful unfused Z warrior, already having proved his worth when he managed to be the one to remove the Z Sword. However, through out the past 20 years following the battles with Buu and Hildegarn, he's opted to live a life of pure peace in pursuit of the lifestyle his Mother always wanted for him, that of a scholar. After college, he married Videl and the couple soon had their daughter, Pan. Because Gohan was now a fully devoted family man, he couldn't bring himself to train to the extent his own Father and Vegeta continually were, though did manage to stay in shape. This has presumably resulted in him losing the ability to access his "Potential Unlocked" Ultimate form, as he's now weaker than the likes of Goku and Vegeta, as well as having to transform to Super Saiyan 2 once again when need-be. Even in these days though, Gohan is ready to come out of retirement and help protect the Earth whenever he can, even offering to assist Goku on the hunt for the Black-Star Dragonballs and the dark dragons. He plays a big role during the final battle with the Golden Great Ape form of Bebi-Vegeta, managing to both save his Father's life and contribute a great share of energy to him. Even though he's less powerful, Gohan is just as brave and determined a person as back in the old days, ready to take on such fierce enemies as Rilldo, Super 17, or any other threat without a second thought.

Techniques:

Bukujutsu - Literally meaning lighter than air, it's the ability to manifest one's Ki in order to fly his or her body. Gohan is a unique case in learning this ability, not from practicing, but from observing and automatically demonstrating a will to fly (as seen in the battle with the Saiyans) when he was only 5 years old. Also worth noting, he is the only character in the series to give flight lessons to someone else on-screen, as seen when he teaches his brother and (at the time, eventual) wife.

Kamehame-Ha - Taught to him while training with Goku in the Room of Spirit and Time before the battle with Cell, this is Gohan's signature attack just as it is for his Father, proving his ability to master it when he wiped out Cell and Bojack. As Gohan doesn't fight much these days, he rarely has an occasion to use the technique, though Bebi found it most useful when possessing his body. Before Piccolo dies, the Namekian mentor mentions to him how powerful it still is after all these years. Like his Father and Roshi, Gohan can launch either a normal or maximum, super version, the latter giving Super 17 his first true boost in power.

Super Saiyan - The first form of Saiyan ascension, Gohan had first reached this while training with his Father in the Room of Spirit and Time. As Super Saiyan 2 is a much more reliable and powerful form for him, he only goes to this level once in the series course; briefly while transforming during Bebi-Goten's last resort attack in their battle, while the Bebi egg later inhabiting him appears to rely on this level after powering up.

Super Saiyan 2 - Gohan was the very first to ascend to this form, the Super Saiyan beyond a Super Saiyan. He'd very briefly glimpsed transforming while training in the Room of Spirit and Time, but only truly transformed as his friends were tortured during the battle with Cell. Through out the GT series, this form is his maximum, still powerful enough to overshadow Vegeta's regular Super Saiyan level, as well as possibly proving a challenge for the Bebi egg inhabiting him to master his full abilities. Gohan's full power in this status proves to aid Super Saiyan 4 Goku in battle considerably on a couple occasions.

Ultimate form - Gohan's form of ultimate potential is unfortunately confirmed in the battle with Bebi-Goten that the ability to access it has been lost, presumably from his severe lack of training.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed May 28, 2008 2:30 pm

Conan, you should really put this thread into your sig so that it doesn't get forgotten or lost later on. Again, great stuff; a good way to kill time and an awesome refresher course.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:10 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
Big Bang Attack - A favorite finishing technique very rarely used these days, Vegeta opts for differing attacks as of late, though Bebi makes certain to use it while possessing his body (albeit with the Final Flash stance). His fused counterpart, Gogeta, would later have an adapted version of it as well that combines with the Kamehame-Ha, forming the incredible Big Bang Kamehame-Ha.
What makes you call this the Big Bang Attack rather than the Final Flash?

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed May 28, 2008 3:31 pm

Hero 004 wrote:
Conan the SSJ wrote:
[image]
What makes you call this the Big Bang Attack rather than the Final Flash?
Probably because that's what Baby calls it, too. The motions look reminiscent of the Final Flash, but the attack name called out in that episode is Big Bang Attack. It's somewhat confusing to look at, so perhaps Baby was mistaken when he used it.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed May 28, 2008 3:37 pm

Snail wrote:Conan, you should really put this thread into your sig so that it doesn't get forgotten or lost later on.
Will do~!
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Hero 004 wrote:What makes you call this the Big Bang Attack rather than the Final Flash?
Probably because that's what Baby calls it, too. The motions look reminiscent of the Final Flash, but the attack name called out in that episode is Big Bang Attack. It's somewhat confusing to look at, so perhaps Baby was mistaken when he used it.

~Da Lemmy
Exactly. He calls it out as "Big Bang Attack!" in the Japanese version, despite the stance & gesture. Not sure how the Blue Water dub handles this scene. In the FUNi dub, McFarland just goes all "Auuugh, Glaghggg!!", pretty much sounding like he's trying to take an enormous crap.

Good to see ya' replying, Lemmy!
14 years later

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed May 28, 2008 4:08 pm

7 out of 10, I won't spoiler who's next~

Son Goten

Biography: The second born son of Goku and Chichi, Goten started out in the previous series as an innocent, carefree happy child almost exactly like his Father in both looks and personality, though never meeting him for nearly the first 7 years of his life. When Gohan started to train him, he'd discovered his little brother could already transform into a Super Saiyan at will, an instance that made him ponder if the kid would surpass them all someday. While Goten does merge into an extraordinary warrior when fusing with Trunks, he unfortunately never lives up to his older brother's expectations. What's worth noting, he did get the opportunity to regularly train under his Father during the 10 years after Buu's defeat and before the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, though he soon begins to slack off and ignore training to become more powerful after Goku leaves to teach Oob. Now that it's been another 10 years since that time, Goten's currently a cell phone carrying "ladies' man" as Pan puts it, with a much shorter haircut to boot. Vegeta ends up choosing him with Trunks to accompany Goku into outer space due to their coinciding slacking, though Goten himself misses out as Pan stows away on the ship to prematurely launch it. While losing this chance for the ultimate journey through the universe, Goten still has many battles ahead of him along with his family. He appears to be just as powerful as he was at the 28th Budokai, possibly more-so than Trunks. Rather he's on the battle field with his family or on a date with his girlfriend, Paris, the young Saiyan/Earthling hybrid remains very determined to protect his home planet in whatever manner he can.

Techniques:

Bukujutsu - Literally meaning lighter than air, it's the ability to manifest one's Ki in order to fly his or her body. Through a step-by-step process, Goten learned this talented ability of flight from his brother, alongside Videl as a kid.

Kamehame-Ha - Having learned this very famous ability as a child from Gohan, this is Goten's signature attack, just as it has always been for his Father and brother. As a child, he'd mispronounce it as "Kamekame-Ha", though has gotten it right by this time of his adult years. He ends up using the (properly pronounced) Kamehame-Ha as a finishing attack on the evil parasite Bebi, though it doesn't prove to be enough to avoid getting possessed.

Fusion - Learned from Goku when he was only a child with Trunks, it's neither an offensive or defensive maneuver in battle, but an ability that allows the user to temporarily merge with a fellow individual of the same race whom shares a similar body size and equal power level. Even though many years have passed since their last merging, Goten and Trunks are 100% confident they can still pull off the technique and merge into Gotenks. However, because Goku would see the technique as being futile against the massive power of the Golden Great Ape form of Bebi-Vegeta, he insists they not perform it.

Super Saiyan - The first level of the many Super stages a Saiyan is capable of ascending to, Goten was without a doubt the youngest Super Saiyan in history, surprising even his brother. When asked by Gohan when he first transformed, he replied that he couldn't even remember; the earliest occasion that's known of him transforming is during a sparring session with Chichi. As an adult, Goten is by far more powerful than he was as a child, still maintaining a decently high power level equal or even higher than Trunks'. Ironically enough, seeing the anger it takes to transform, Paris compares his appearance to that of an angel's.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later