"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:16 pm

The body should be thin and lanky but alas, we can have femboy Vegeta for another day.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:19 pm

Yay! Another Saiyan transformation! Endless Saiyan transformations!

I thought I disliked Super Saiyan 3 because of the combination of long hair and lack of eyebrows, but nope. Even if everyone who has Super Saiyan 3 had short hair, I would still dislike it. What an ugly transformation. Why couldn't they have stopped at Super Saiyan 2? :|

I might like the aura, though. I miss Super Saiyan God's aura from Movie 14, so if this form has something similar to that, it might be its only positive thing going on for it.

So, is this yet another new recolor or is Vegeta's hair supposed to be black?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redon » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:22 pm

Another picture I can share from chapter 74, it's the last panel of the chapter :wink:

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:24 pm

redon wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:22 pm Another picture I can share from chapter 74, it's the last panel of the chapter :wink:
Gonna be honest, I really like the form.

I also didn't know this many people didn't like how Super Saiyan 3 Didn't have Eyebrows.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:24 pm

The eyebrows are seriously throwing this off for me

I wish it could've been with "eyeliner" like we see here, and then have the changed pupils

Or not even with the eyeliner, just add some eyebrows to this man :lol:

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:28 pm

Full Final Line of The Chapter

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:28 pm

I don't know Japanese, but I've read on Twitter that the leak has to be fake because the way things are phrased in Japanese. Apparently they used the wrong words for God of Destruction?

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:30 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:28 pm I don't know Japanese, but I've read on Twitter that the leak has to be fake because the way things are phrased in Japanese. Apparently they used the wrong words for God of Destruction?
Its not fake. For the translation its just a version of God of Destruction thats easier to understand, which you would use if someone didn't know who they were.

It was used in Chapter 3 when Goku learned about Beerus

Trek405

Post by Trek405 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:33 pm

Why?!

Why would they give us one of the best shots of vegeta (and his beautiful brows) in the manga thus far only to take it away seconds later. I'm so annoyed :problem:

I was on the fence earlier but having seen more pages i can safely say the form is not for me looks wise and that just sucks

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:33 pm

precita wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:00 am If this is real it feels like a jump the shark moment for the manga. Vegeta being a God of Destruction (or being groomed to become one) makes sense, but this transformation is awful.

At this point I'm willing to say the manga is its own thing now. If the anime ever comes back they'll probably go in an entirely different direction.

Just because you don’t like a form aesthetically which is perfectly valid doesn’t mean the series “jumped the shark”

And I say this as someone who really doesn’t like it. I disliked SSJ3 so obviously this doesn’t appeal to me. It is what it is and I am going to have to get used to it I guess. But Meh give my man back his eyebrows.

In the end though I just hope Vegeta is written well that’s more important than the form. But I guess we won’t even know what it does until next chapter.
Last edited by Kinokima on Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:34 pm

I'm not sure if I LOVE the look of the form but I'm happy that it isn't just another pallete swap like so many people want. He looks menacing, which is perfect for a form that's supposed to be all about destruction.

Blue evolved barely looks different than regular blue and was very disappointed when it was revealed in the TOP. I forget he even has it in the Moro arc. This will give Vegeta true distinction from Goku and I'm all about it.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:35 pm

Yeah honestly the new form would look better if it was completely redesigned to look like that wet/angry/exhausted Vegeta with his eye veins popping. As it is now, it looks uuuugly.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:40 pm

I'm not surprised Vegeta got a new form... but... it's just U-G-L-Y. I'm sure Vegeta fans will eat this shit up just as they did with SSJB Evolved. But for me, this form is down there with False Super Saiyan as the most uninspired transformation I've ever seen given to a Saiyan character.

The lack of eyebrows worked for Saiyan Saiyan 3 because it was offset by the extremely long and untamed hair which greatly aided in an ironic way to create the image of a person who was wild.

In Vegeta's case, there's nothing to distract you from the caveman appearance, as Super Saiyan 3 did with the crazy hairstyle. The "less is more" approach really only seems to work for Goku, because his unique hairstyle allows for more freedom in subtle change to make transformations like Ultra Instinct work so well.

In Vegeta's case, I feel Toyotaro knew he had nothing to work with Vegeta's original look and tried to compensate by making his shorter, but it just doesn't work. It didn't feel right for Vegeta in GT and it doesn't feel right here. In fact, the shorter hair, just put more emphasis on how unappealing the whole aesthetic is.

The only salvageable part of the form is the aura, and even that doesn't gel well with the overall appearance of the form.

I feel Toyotaro should have just gone for broke and retconned Super Saiyan 4 into the mix. At this stage, why not? Dragon Ball is shameless in fanservice at times, so it wouldn't have been out of the ordinary to go down that route.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:41 pm

On a Non-Character Design Note.

Granolah at the sight of this form is Shitting his pants right now. He's genuinley scared. Even when he saw Mastered Ultra Instinct Goku he was simply shocked, Not really Scared.

But here? He looks Terrified. I hope that is an Omen of the Future of this Form of Vegeta that I really have grown to like despite what people say.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:46 pm

I'm down with the look. I think it looks especially good in black and white where the hair matches his spandex. The blue might clash, but we'll see.

On an unrelated note, Golden Freeza and SSB were very unpopular when the designs were first revealed...

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:46 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:40 pm I'm not surprised Vegeta got a new form... but... it's just U-G-L-Y. I'm sure Vegeta fans will eat this shit up just as they did with SSJB Evolved. But for me, this form is down there with False Super Saiyan as the most uninspired transformation I've ever seen given to a Saiyan character.
Whether someone likes the form or dislikes the form they got to act like Vegeta fans all think the same even though the fandom itself is completely mixed on the form whether you are a Vegeta fan or not. I really don’t like it but I know plenty of other Vegeta fans who do. There is no consensus.

Notice how you post that all Vegeta fans will eat up the form whereas here is this person is saying Vegeta fans just complain about everything and should be happy with the form because it’s cool.

https://twitter.com/gingi23/status/1416 ... 31170?s=21

I don’t care what people think of the form but tired of people needing to word their posts/tweets in a negative way about Vegeta fans.
Last edited by Kinokima on Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:47 pm

Context has improved this for me. I still think the design of the form as a form is pretty average - don't hate it, not wild about it (will be interesting to see if there is a recolour, or if the shading is just due to the aura) - but the transformation sequence looks great, I'm glad to see a definitive payoff for Vegeta's decision to follow a different path to Goku's (which in terms of its character seems to make good sense thematically to me, as I've been arguing further up the thread), and I'm pleased to see a mechanism put in place that has ramifications that explain and justify Beerus's position (thanks to DiscountDabi for the translation there).

All in all, not bad. I guess the only thing I regret is that it sounds like this Chapter isn't carrying the broader story any further.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:48 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:41 pm But here? He looks Terrified. I hope that is an Omen of the Future of this Form of Vegeta that I really have grown to like despite what people say.
About time, he was sitting on ass for weeks while Goku and Vegeta were training. He may have lucked out with one Saiyan but beating two of them would be too much. Besides the Mudkip-Shenron foreshadowed it, he's not stronger than GoDs, and this is a GoD-like form.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:49 pm

"God, giving Gokuu another transformation? How unoriginal!" -- Some fan in 1991, probably.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:54 pm

There. Fixed. Much better:

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~