Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gt91
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Gt91 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:17 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:13 pm
Gt91 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm
I have a feeling Broly is gonna have a kid.
Or two, a boy and a girl :thumbup:
A legendary family :D

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:19 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:31 am
Jord wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:11 am People say it looks like a video game....but I actually say the video game looks better:

https://youtu.be/GMaw6afydYw?t=165

The best looking cutscenes from Kakarot look exciting and lack the thick lines used in the Hero trailer, which reminds me of early cell-shaded video games.
Eh. The film’s CG may look mediocre, but at least the color palette isn’t as bright or saturated as DB Kakarot.
I agree, and the background could use some work too but broadly speaking I prefer the game's animation.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:28 am

you know what, I will say this

at least this movie doesn't look like Berserk 2016
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:59 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:59 am

Very disappointing approach after what they accomplished in Super: Broly.
They've been on record of saying that Broly took a lot out of the animators, and the CG is a compromise so they didn't lose their minds. Pretty sure that Superhero was being developed around the same time Broly was being made. Superhero is probably not going to be the action extravanza that Broly was anyways.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:15 am

So if it is 10 years after the defeat of Buu. My guess would be that they have a few months to work with before EOZ because they probably aren't counting the months they had to wait to make the wish to remove the publics memory.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:22 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:45 pm The guy in the purple hoodie reminds me of Jagga-Batta, Satan's cousin from Bio-Broly
Hercule has a cousin? I've never seen that movie.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:24 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:22 am
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:45 pm The guy in the purple hoodie reminds me of Jagga-Batta, Satan's cousin from Bio-Broly
Hercule has a cousin? I've never seen that movie.
Yeah, his cousin is the one who made Gooey Broly
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:31 am

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:59 am

They've been on record of saying that Broly took a lot out of the animators, and the CG is a compromise so they didn't lose their minds. Pretty sure that Superhero was being developed around the same time Broly was being made. Superhero is probably not going to be the action extravanza that Broly was anyways.

This movie based on the teasers seems very rushed tho (even though they’ve apparently been working on this for 3+ years) & feels like a unnecessary cash grab banking off using DB’s name. Somebody high up at Toei must reallly want this movie to happen.Which is odd to me since the franchise isn’t really hurting that much for money on the Toei & Bandai front DB has been top earner for both 3 years ongoing with no anime.They’ve been coasting off Dokkan & merch profits just fine. Why not do everyone the favor and wait until the 2-d animators are free?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:45 am

The trailer makes the movie look like cut scenes from a video game.

The only thing exciting is it looks like Piccolo is going to have more prominence than Vegeta for the first time in forever.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:17 pm

The plot looks more interesting than the last movie, so its looking good imo. Anyone crying could stay crying. Cgi wouldn't be my first choice, but the characters look good and the animation was still clean.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:23 pm

One might notice that in my previous post, I never mentioned the CG. That's because I think it looks fine, and I think it's great that every Super film thus far is experimenting with different visual styles and aesthetics. Whether this was at Toei's behest or Shueisha's, I'm not going to argue with the decision to keep things fresh.

DBS: Broly's style worked for Broly's intense action-oriented plot, and Super Hero's "pop" CG style may just work for what Super Hero is trying to accomplish narratively. Not everything needs to be Shintani, especially if the anime side of Super sticks exclusively to movies from this point forward. I don't know if I'll love it, but I'm eager to see what they do with it.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:41 pm

I'm also not bothered by the CG. It looks fine to me, some scenes do look like they are not hand-drawn or kinda weird, but others I just can't tell the difference, if nobody told me about it, I probably would just assume it's a new style and leave it at that.

As long as it doesn't look as bad as some of the fighting in BoG, I'll be ok with it.

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:15 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:28 am you know what, I will say this

at least this movie doesn't look like Berserk 2016
Put your Grasses on and nothing will be wrong.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:14 pm

The looks of the movie aren't as bad as I feared, actually looks decent. I would prefer Broly's animation but it seems passable.

Pan powering up got me the most hyped, followed by Piccolo getting so much attention. I really hope Goku spends most of the movie punching Broly in Beerus planet and doesn't show up much.

Bringing some connection to the RR is so weird, it's like the Android Arc all over again. Don't know how it will go so we'll see.

One of the enemies doing the GT Saiyaman pose at the end gives me hope for him and Saiyaman 2! Pan's motivation to being strong besides her grandpas(Piccolo is one of them) influence being her parents double life would be awesome. A little scene with her figuring it out and silently admire them would be great.

Grandpa Piccolo, Father Saiyaman, Mother Saiyaman and Pan defeating the villains is the dream! :D

Also hoping for new designs for Goten and Trunks, not that I care much about the characters but they really need something fresh.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:24 pm

So I saw a very interesting question yesterday posed on Twitter by Dragon Ball Youtuber, Smugstick. And I wanted to get you guys' thoughts on it. Who might be the voice of Pan when this film eventually gets dubbed? Obviously, in the Japanese version even though she hasn't confirmed it herself yet, it's pretty much guaranteed that Minaguchi will reprise her role. But for English, this is a bit more of a toughie. I was thinking maybe it could be either one of the younger VAs at FUNi, maybe even Jeannie Tirado, who actually voices Baby Pan in Super, or they could bring back Elise Baughman. The reason I'm saying Elise is because she actually voiced Kid Pan in Kai (and I won't lie, her Kid Pan is actually pretty decent), and since Pan is around that same age in this film, it could make sense that they bring her back, and it would be the first time she voiced Pan (outside of video games) since Kai, which would've been... Oh my God, like, 8 years ago? :shock: Very long time. So yeah, that's what I think, either Newer VA (like Jeannie Tirado) or Elise. But what do you guys think?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:49 pm

The designs for Trunks and Goten has been leaked: https://i.ibb.co/8MWZC23/gotentrunksdbssuperhero.jpg
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:22 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:59 am

This was being developed while Broly was being made? I don't recall that being revealed. In any case, the solution would be to hire more people. It's not like Broly didn't bring a lot of revenue. In fact, that might have not been needed since this will be a less action-oriented story.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:55 pm

LightBing wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:14 pm Pan powering up got me the most hyped, followed by Piccolo getting so much attention. I really hope Goku spends most of the movie punching Broly in Beerus planet and doesn't show up much.
I hope this too. I would like it a lot if the movie focused on Pan and Piccolo co. vs Red Ribbon on Earth while Goku, Vegeta and Broly train on Beerus’ planet.

Could this actually be the case? We know Gohan’s family will play a role. And possibly Buu too. But Krillin is also appearing, as well as Karin and Dende. This might really end up being focused on Earth’s forces without Goku and Vegeta saving them out, for once. Which would also explain the relatively low stake feel of Red Ribbon Army coming back once again.

Though it would be very unusual for Goku not to be central to the story.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:10 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:24 pm So I saw a very interesting question yesterday posed on Twitter by Dragon Ball Youtuber, Smugstick. And I wanted to get you guys' thoughts on it. Who might be the voice of Pan when this film eventually gets dubbed? Obviously, in the Japanese version even though she hasn't confirmed it herself yet, it's pretty much guaranteed that Minaguchi will reprise her role. But for English, this is a bit more of a toughie. I was thinking maybe it could be either one of the younger VAs at FUNi, maybe even Jeannie Tirado, who actually voices Baby Pan in Super, or they could bring back Elise Baughman. The reason I'm saying Elise is because she actually voiced Kid Pan in Kai (and I won't lie, her Kid Pan is actually pretty decent), and since Pan is around that same age in this film, it could make sense that they bring her back, and it would be the first time she voiced Pan (outside of video games) since Kai, which would've been... Oh my God, like, 8 years ago? :shock: Very long time. So yeah, that's what I think, either Newer VA (like Jeannie Tirado) or Elise. But what do you guys think?
Honestly, I'm a tad torn. I think Elise is a great VA. It's just that Pan's character was SO irritating in GT (ESPECIALLY in the English dub), that I can't stop thinking about her in that series whenever I hear Elise these days. Basically, as long as Pan gets a big overhaul in regards to her personality, I'm cool with Elise voicing a new (hopefully way more tolerable) take on Pan.

All the while, I absolutely LOVED Jeannie Tirado as Android 21, and after hearing that she's also the voice of Baby Pan in DBS, I actually really want to see just how well she can play a Pan who (more likely than not) will be talking WAY more than she currently does in DBS.

Speaking of Pan, I'm sure we've all seen her power up for a bit in Super Hero's trailer, but instead of Super Saiyan Pan, what if we end up getting 'Ultimate Pan'? I mean, she IS the daughter of Gohan (i.e. the [potentially] strongest individual in Universe 7, outside of Goku, Vegeta, Beerus, and Whis) and she's already been seen doing things as a BABY that even her dad couldn't even do until he was, like, 4.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:27 pm

I really don't like the CGI. But that crowd's gotten so damn toxic about it... There's a difference between not liking someone's style and downplaying the work and effort that's being put into something. It's gotten pretty disrespectful.