Making a Good DB Story v. Making a Good Story

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: Making a Good DB Story v. Making a Good Story

Post by super michael » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:30 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:12 am Goku’s monologue to jiren was NOT about “the power of friendship” at all. It was only about how Goku cares about his friends, not how he fights for them. Sure, it may have made Goku get put on a high horse over Jiren, but tell me how TF did he react to Krillin dying twice, seeing his other friends’ corpses before Nappa, and hearing about how Zamasu killed his family.
Goku seemed to care when Cell killed soldiers over the radio, it got Goku to go to Kami places to try and get Piccolo to return him into Kami/Piccolo to get the Dragon Balls back. Then since that didn't work he went to Namek to get Dende.

Goku got pissed and stopped Dr Gero from destroying and killing people in the Android Saga.

Goku wanted to revive Uppa father and got pissed off at Tao Pai Pai which he attacked.

Goku doesn't just care about his friends, he cares about strangers also.

Goku not caring that Master Roshi wanted to rape and molest her was out of character, especially since he encouraged him. Goku not knowing what to wish for in the ToP was out of character for him.

Goku not caring about King Kai dying and getting erased was out of character.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:17 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:12 am Goku’s monologue to jiren was NOT about “the power of friendship” at all. It was only about how Goku cares about his friends, not how he fights for them. Sure, it may have made Goku get put on a high horse over Jiren, but tell me how TF did he react to Krillin dying twice, seeing his other friends’ corpses before Nappa, and hearing about how Zamasu killed his family.
This was how I took it as well.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:32 pm

Again, it's about the wording, not the reaction.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:12 pm

I kinda thought the whole "power of friendship" speech was set up to fail. Like, yeah, Goku gives the whole speech, beats the bejesus out of Jiren, but then his power literally implodes on him. I kinda interpreted that as "fancy shonen speeches don't work." It's the stuff with Freeza and 17 in the next episode that actually works: people coming together and working together in a real, tangible way instead of the peanut gallery just cheering one guy on. It's a bit more striking when you consider that the people Goku's working with AREN'T EVEN HIS FRIENDS. One is a dude he met a day ago and the other is one of his mortal enemies, yet they did more to help him beat Jiren than his actual lifelong friends did by cheering him on. In that way, I guess you could say the idea is that trust has to be built on a more sturdy foundation than blind belief; everybody has to trust in each other and work with each other to accomplish anything. That's just my take, though.

To bring this around to the original topic, does this make for a "good Dragon Ball story," whatever that means? I dunno. I just liked this one.

P. S. The Last Jedi is a brilliant film and I wish Rise of Skywalker (which is just okay) carried its momentum.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:26 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:12 pm P. S. The Last Jedi is a brilliant film and I wish Rise of Skywalker (which is just okay) carried its momentum.
I wish I liked it more, I really do. There are bits and pieces I like and appreciate, but for me the whole is lesser than the sum of its parts. Rise of Skywalker is the worst of the franchise though, imho.

Bringing it back to Dragon Ball, strangely I feel GT is also lesser than the sum of its parts...sort of? But I still enjoy it.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:19 pm

Cool thread. I'm kinda burned out from the Super manga thread but there's plenty more to discuss and question. :wink:

I kinda made my position clear that although Toriyama is The Guy and always will be, he's not the sole voice in Dragon Ball, especially now that he's willingly taking a back seat while handing over the keys to other artists. Another user in the manga thread made a great point that Toriyama has never had a Larfleeze "WHAT'S MINE IS MINE, NOT YOURS" mentality to his work, he's always willing to allow others to have their creative freedom just as he has his own, partly because he has a certain disinterest in it. I've put forward the argument that without Torishima's suggestions and feedback, Dragon Ball would be unrecognisable and probably nowhere near as great. Without him we'd have: Goku looking like a chibi Sun Wukong, no Kuririn, no Tenkaichi Budokai, no Piccolo, etc. Toriyama certainly deserves the lion's share of credit for taking these ideas and making something of them with his unique creative signature, but it was never a one-man-show and rarely ever is with anything else. Maybe Toriyama would've always been the GOAT -- his later standalone works like Kintoki and Jaco are superb -- but who's to say he would've developed as an artist and storyteller in the same way? Nails in the road and all that.

With the revival, the last time Toriyama really came to assert dominance was with Battle of Gods. He's written longer screenplays since then, but they've either been A) somewhat creatively bankrupt to be as charitable as possible, i.e. Resurrection 'F', or B) once again heavily influenced by his editors and others' contributions to the franchise, i.e. Super: Broly. He's still an active force with the Super manga, but he was so hands-off with the anime that I can't blame Toei's staff for taking heavy liberties in places. The Tournament of Power was an insanely ambitious premise but he only gave them the barest minimum outline and about twelve new character designs (out of nearly a hundred) and didn't even explain basic stuff like Jiren's personality.

Re: the Power of Friendship stuff. I don't think Goku's speech would be bad in isolation, but the anime had been hamfistedly shoving that particular theme down our throats constantly since the Zamasu arc and never really stopped. So by that point, it felt less cathartic than they probably intended. That said, I don't mind that they gave Goku a loose arc of sorts, where he starts off as his exaggerated dumbass hick self and gradually evolves into a more serious and responsible 'Toei-fied' version of himself as he begins to understand the stakes. May not be anything Toriyama would've done but it was enjoyable.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:38 pm

I had more of an issue with Jiren suddenly going from Mr. Personality to "I'm going to kill your friends" in a drop of a hat than the Goku friendship monologue. Jiren obviously isn't an established character like Goku, but nothing about him previously indicated he would ever resort to that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:45 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:38 pm I had more of an issue with Jiren suddenly going from Mr. Personality to "I'm going to kill your friends" in a drop of a hat than the Goku friendship monologue. Jiren obviously isn't an established character like Goku, but nothing about him previously indicated he would ever resort to that.
Jiren's actions are based on his immaturity. His trauma has emotionally stunted him and it leads to him making irrational decisions he'd likely otherwise regret when he feels backed into a corner. With his constructed and fragile ideas about reality falling down before him I think it makes sense that he would take his powerlessness out of others. He needed to harm Gokuu's loved ones and take them from him because it gave him a sense of reassurance about his own internalized understanding of the world. Jiren internalized the lesson that his friends' death meant something because even as terrible as it was for his heart it still gave him something to believe in. Gokuu shattered that belief and thus his entire life was called into question.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:30 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:12 pm I kinda thought the whole "power of friendship" speech was set up to fail. Like, yeah, Goku gives the whole speech, beats the bejesus out of Jiren, but then his power literally implodes on him. I kinda interpreted that as "fancy shonen speeches don't work." It's the stuff with Freeza and 17 in the next episode that actually works: people coming together and working together in a real, tangible way instead of the peanut gallery just cheering one guy on. It's a bit more striking when you consider that the people Goku's working with AREN'T EVEN HIS FRIENDS. One is a dude he met a day ago and the other is one of his mortal enemies, yet they did more to help him beat Jiren than his actual lifelong friends did by cheering him on. In that way, I guess you could say the idea is that trust has to be built on a more sturdy foundation than blind belief; everybody has to trust in each other and work with each other to accomplish anything. That's just my take, though.
While I mostly do agree with Yuji, this is a great point! It also goes in hand with Jiren's eureka moment he has as he's being pushed out of the ring when he goes "So this is the power of trust?!". Hella cheesy but it makes sense, especially since his whole hang up was that he couldn't bring himself to fully trust his own team mates because of some of his past trauma's of older comrades bailing on him. Pretty cool send off in retrospect I just it had been built off more thoroughly throughout the entire arc and not just when Jiren got serious.

I also wish they elaborated more on what Jiren meant when he said "I seek what lies beyond strength". When he said I took it as though it was gonna be a huge talking point for the climax of the tournament but alas its more of a throw away line unless somehow "trust" plays into that, which it could but its never really mentioned again.
does this make for a "good Dragon Ball story," whatever that means? I dunno.
I was curious about this as well as I wasn't quite sure if you could separate the two. I mean, Dragon Ball as whole is a good story, its one of the top selling anime/manga franchises of all time. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out are there any examples of a bad story within a story or a good story within a story, like wouldnt that just be a "sub plot?" Unless you count some of the movies, for instance most people would agree that Movies 6 &7 arent really good stories but they are Dragon Ball related and on the other hand you have Trunks' and Bardocks' respective TV specials where most folk would say those are great stories but are they good "Dragon Ball" stories? I guess? or maybe not? considering that they're pretty dark in tone and have almost nothing to do with Dragon Ball's central character in Goku.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:41 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:30 pm Trunks' and Bardocks' respective TV specials where most folk would say those are great stories but are they good "Dragon Ball" stories? I guess? or maybe not? considering that they're pretty dark in tone and have almost nothing to do with Dragon Ball's central character in Goku.
They are good Dragon Ball stories, but they are one-off specials, not an entire show. And even in those specials, the story is ultimately driven by Goku and features Goku doubles.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:04 pm

Dragon Ball has had entire arcs that were fairly dark. I don't see how that's antithetical to Dragon Ball.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:15 pm

You could even make the case that the Black Star saga of GT is a good Dragon Ball story and maaaybe even a good story, but not good Dragon Ball.

Yes, I want these stories to retain Dragon Ball DNA, but ultimately the execution of the ideas is what matters most. I think most of OG+Z has good Dragon Ball stories, good stories in general and good execution.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:27 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:04 pm Dragon Ball has had entire arcs that were fairly dark. I don't see how that's antithetical to Dragon Ball.
True, i'm not really arguing against that more so i'm just throwing out different ideas to try to gain a full understanding of the OP.
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:15 pm You could even make the case that the Black Star saga of GT is a good Dragon Ball story and maaaybe even a good story, but not good Dragon Ball.
See that's what i'm not understanding, its a good story but not a story that fits thematically with the rest of the franchise? If so, Is it because characters dont act like themselves in one way or another?

Halloween 3 tells a pretty solid story on its own but because the Halloween franchise evolved into being solely about Michael Myers and not an anthology series under the same umbrella like the original creators intended, does that also mean its not a good Halloween story because Michael Myers isnt involved?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:38 pm

I don't understand Demon King Piccolo's point. How is something a good DB story and a good story but not good DB?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:44 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:27 pm See that's what i'm not understanding, its a good story but not a story that fits thematically with the rest of the franchise? If so, Is it because characters dont act like themselves in one way or another?
Yes, I think this is what the question is pertaining to. Tbh even if Goku felt out-of-character in the final two Super episodes, there was nothing that tore me out of it enough to say "This isn't Dragon Ball." I don't think Dragon Ball has had that type of shake-up or out-of-character moment in any of its series, at least not for me. And as Omega said, the "power of friendship" thing didn't amount to a victory anyway. If it had, I might have more of an issue.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:50 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:38 pm I don't understand Demon King Piccolo's point. How is something a good DB story and a good story but not good DB?
I think many would agree that Dragon Ball GT had solid Dragon Ball ideas but poor execution. And I said *maybe* a good story in general in the case of the Black Star arc, as I'm doubtful I'd even call it that. And I'm actually a fan of GT. But I'd still say the problems with that arc came less to do with the actual story itself, moreso with the execution.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:07 pm

I think ultimately, you can tell any kind of story in DB as long as it stays tied to the series' fighting ennui and thus is a conflict solved by fists, and most importantly, stays true to the characters, tone and established universe - but this is stuff any competent creative force will take into consideration.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:29 am

This thread doesn't really make too much sense because it implies any story that doesn't follow what Toriyama wants can't be considered a DB story.

DB has simply evolved beyond Toriyama to the point that he isn't even the only one who holds the rights to the franchise anymore.

So for instance, if DB Heroes made a genuinely good episode, it would be a good DB story. Toriyama doesn't dictate what is or isn't Dragon Ball :roll: And the way he writes DB isn't the only way DB can be written.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:46 am

DB didn't "evolve" past Toriyama, that makes no sense. Every piece of content still adheres to Toriyama's world, aesthetic, rules and style. Even if the man himself isn't directly responsible, every other writer is trying to emulate his style, to various degrees of success. The only piece of Dragon Ball fiction that comes to mind that wouldn't carry DB DNA is Evolution because it deliberately chose to shy away from what DB is.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:09 am

Yuji wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:46 am DB didn't "evolve" past Toriyama, that makes no sense. Every piece of content still adheres to Toriyama's world, aesthetic, rules and style. Even if the man himself isn't directly responsible, every other writer is trying to emulate his style, to various degrees of success. The only piece of Dragon Ball fiction that comes to mind that wouldn't carry DB DNA is Evolution because it deliberately chose to shy away from what DB is.
Yeah because then it objectively wouldn't be "Dragon Ball", it can't be Dragon Ball if it's not set in the 12 Universes of Dragon Ball, this isn't really an argument. It's like saying that Star Wars hasn't evolved in all these years just because it still takes place in a world created by Lucas, thank you, that's the bare minimum for it to be Star Wars.

Heroes is one of the most popular arcade videogames in Japan, countless people like it, and it has almost 0 Toriyama involvement with it. DB has evolved.