What are the major conventions for AMV ?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Wukong
Regular

What are the major conventions for AMV ?

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:34 pm

I know there are probably a lot of conventions but I'm just wondering which ones are really well known for their AMVs. The ones I know are Otakon and AnimeNEXT but are there any other ?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What are the major conventions for AMV ?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:02 pm

Son Wukong wrote:I know there are probably a lot of conventions but I'm just wondering which ones are really well known for their AMVs. The ones I know are Otakon and AnimeNEXT but are there any other ?
I wouldn't say AnimeNEXT is "known for its AMV contest" (I actually have no idea, and I'm incredibly biased and a poor choice of judgement on that, being that I run its contest). Perhaps it is...? That'd rock :D. I'd say, in my personal view, the "main" conventions/contests for AMVs, and my thoughts/reasons, are:

Otakon:
The number of people who will see your video if it makes the final contest. We're talking thousands upon thousands. Awards are audience popular vote, which means that the general population of the con gets to choose their favorite(s).

Anime Expo:
Also a huge number of viewers. This overshadows the general drama they tend to have (contests go missing, delays, flat-out cancellations... Castor could elaborate).

Anime Weekend Atlanta:
It's essentially a con exclusively for AMVs if you want to make it that. There's an entire room (called the "VAT"... "Video Art Track") that does nothing but play AMVs and AMV-related events (contests, panels, special projects, etc.). With one minor exception every other year, none of the three main contests (Exposition, Professional, Masters) are judged by the audience, and this is what helps set AWA apart from others. "Expo" is the send-anything-and-everything contest that is judged by the contest coordinators. "Pro" is peer-judged; entrants send their videos blindly (no credits), all other entrants are given ALL videos, and they are judged and voted upon by said entrants into categories and awards are given at the con. "Masters" is the high-level contest only for previous award winners, where a single video is chosen as the sole winner and the entrant is given a green "Masters" jacket.

Anime Central:
Never been, but it seems to be getting bigger and bigger with more and more AMVs being sent every year, along with a large group of the editors attending (but not rivaling AWA). I wouldn't put it up there with the above three, but it's growing.

Additionally, all of the contests mentioned above are ones that people specifically make videos for. That is... "This video is my Otakon video!" means that said person specifically goes out of their way to create an original video for the sole purpose of sending it to that particular convention, and possibly will send it to no other conventions at all.

There may be a couple others, but they're escaping my mind at the moment.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:40 pm

It's just that your and Meri's AMVs inspire me, and got me into the AMV universe, so I thought if Mike is the coordinator of the AnimeNEXT AMV contest it just has to be a major convention for AMVs :P

Thanks for the info. It's just what I needed to know.