Thanks for everything, Mr. Yanami.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Thanks for everything, Mr. Yanami.

Post by Tian » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:47 am

Six years after we heard his last performances in Dragon Ball Super...

On the past December 3, our beloved Joji Yanami (King Kai, Narrator) has passed away.

https://kotaku.com/dragon-ball-voice-ac ... 211342/amp

R.I.P. Mr. Yanami.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Thanks for everything, Mr. Yanami.

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:58 am

Rest in peace Yoji Yanami. His style of narration was both captivating and inspirational. Truly made Dragon Ball feel like the old folk tale Toriyama envisioned. Casting Yanami as Kaio-Sama was a wonderful decision too as the gravitas he brought was perfect for the lord of the north 7th universe. 90 was a great age. The work he did on the franchise will never be forgotten.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:09 am

Very sad. I'm feeling for his family and loved ones right now. I remember hearing that he was going through health issues which forced him to retire, but I'm glad he was able to live a good quality of life and make it all the way to a very distinguished 90 years old, which most people don't ever make it to.

His voiceover work, especially in Dragon Ball, is so iconic and will never be forgotten. His voice and narration-style were warm and inviting, while being epic at the same time, and I always look forward to hearing it whenever I watch an episode.

R.I.P., and thanks for everything, Mr. Yanami.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:21 am

Only familiar with his Narrator/Kaio, and what a memorable performance it was :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:03 am

What a legend among legends. His voice was there alongside Nozawa and Tsuru as our introduction to the animated version of this world and characters. For many, his was the first voice they ever heard in Dragon Ball. That voice carried us through four TV series before he had to retire, and I was grateful for every second he was part of it. I already grieved on a sense when he had to step down in Super, but that doesn't make this not hurt. After all, a person is more than the voices they provided for a cartoon, even if that's all I ever knew him for or could ever know him for. Still, I'm saddened that we lost our Narrator, our Kaio-sama. Yanami-san is and always will be the best.

Thank you for everything, Yanami-san. My heart goes out to your family and friends and I hope you rest well.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:07 am

Loved his voice as the narrator, Kaio (plus others like King Furry and Dr. Briefs) and even though he was ultimately forced to retire from voice acting partway into Super for health reasons he still lived a long and accomplished life. RIP Mr. Yanami, you will always be known as the voice of Dragon Ball!!!!
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:00 pm

Kaio-sama dies for real...
May he be remembered forever by his iconic narration and voice work.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:07 pm

I loved his narrator and Kaio voice and liked his Babidi but I do prefer the newer Japanese voice for Babidi.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:40 pm

In the same way that you knew you were watching a Star Wars film when you heard the iconic theme and saw a crawl, you knew you were watching an episode of Dragon Ball when you heard Joji Yanami's narration. An absolutely iconic performance, both in that role, and the many others he gave over the years in the DB franchise. The opening narrations of Super never felt the same without him, and he will be very missed.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:55 pm

Really sad that we have to get one of these threads every few months due to the age of the people working on the series. RIP.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:59 pm

A phenomenal voice actor whose fantastic narration of Dragon Ball's stories always elevated the intrigue of the scenario that was going to unfold.

Kaio-sama truly has passed now. :cry:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:07 pm

Fuck man, this hurts. A lot of people here primarily know him for his Dragonball narration and Kaio voice, but he was also absolutely LEGENDARY in his roles in the Time Bokan franchise, and it's absolutely impossible to separate Glocky, Bojacky etc from his voice.

Man was a legend.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:09 pm

Been sort of expecting it ever since his health declined to the point where he stopped doing voice work, but he still managed to hang on for quite a while.

Doesn't take away the fact that this news still stings. I am now imagining him narrating his own departure, closing out his final episode... Goodbye and rest in peace, dear sir.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:28 pm

Yanami Jōji IS Dragon Ball. The anime is inseparable from his voice.

I always felt like Toriyama was somehow speaking through Yanami and his characters.

I think that Briefs may have been my favorite out of them.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:51 pm

Loved his narration for Dragon Ball and his role as North Kaio. He also did great as Totosai in Inuyasha.

Rest in peace Yanami-san, and thank you for giving many people lots of great memories. 90 is a good long lived life.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:10 pm

Wow, what a voice. Sad to hear of his passing

RIP
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:18 pm

It's getting to be about that time when we're going to keep hearing about this. RIP
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:05 pm

Thank you Mr Yanami, for being the Narrator, Dr Briefs and King Kai. And than you for your memorable performance as Boyacky.

Rest in peace sir.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:57 pm

Also his Bobbidi is a nice villainous turn from his other characters. I particularly enjoy how he conveys that Bobbidi, unlike prior DB antagonists, is *truly* evil. He also gives the character a childish streak which overall creates a memorable performance.

Kuririn-sama

Post by Kuririn-sama » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:32 pm

Yanami-san was one of my favorites. I'm glad he was able to have such a successful and long life and career.

And he seemed like such a kind person as well. I've met a lot of my favorite voice actors, Japanese and English, but Yanami-san was always towards the top of that list.

I'm sad I wasn't able to.

ご冥福をお祈りします。
「オレだって最初は悟空なんか嫌いだった…」

My name's Oak, They/Them pronouns, please!

Other than Dragon Ball, I'm an encyclopedia on Yakuza/龍が如く

日本語/Eng