Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:25 am

HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:06 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:22 am Considering the movie is coming out in April I am mystified as to why they haven't dropped more details about the film yet. And the lack of new content in the second trailer is also a major concern for me as Toei seem to be quite reluctant to give more a glimpse as to how the film looks when there is actual fighting. The trailers for DBS Broly had no problems showing that shit off.

The marketing for this movie, in general, has been pretty poor, and I have a feeling that Toei knows there isn't much to this story and are keeping the details as scare as possible to hide that fact.
Probably because most of Broly was fighting and showing off how awesome Broly is because it’s Broly.

If the movie is more plot focused than Broly, which honestly isn’t hard, they’re not going to reveal it now and people usually hide the plot because of spoilers. Not because of a lack of plot, especially in an anime like Dragon Ball where 90% of the audience don’t watch for the plot.

Personally think the marketing fine. It’s only hardcore fans like this site that is being overly negative about everything. But this isn’t the first time since this site exploded in rage when Broly’s return.
How were the trailers for BoG or RoF? Were they like the Super Hero trailer in that regard as you explained?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:26 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:59 am That was barely a trailer. :lol: A lot of those scenes were in the previous trailer, too. I'm starting to understand the "pop" element they're going for. Some of the action scenes looked really nice, but there were still a few shots that kinda stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm excited for all the story stuff, though!

EDIT:
Directior: Tetsuro Kodama
Animation director: Chikashi Kubota
Music: Naoki Sato

Sumitomo not coming back is surprising! Maybe they're going for a completely different vibe for this? Makes sense, since they've gone a different route with the animation, too.
Tetsuro Kodama???? who was a CGI sequence director in broly(that CGI looked awful),and he directed-Mardock Scramble: The First Compression movie, The Bears' School (movie), Eiga Kuma no Gakkō: Patissier Jackie to Ohisama no Sweets (movie) GOD HELP US ALL this is horrible.
Last edited by Mr_CINDER on Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:32 am

Pretty disappointing trailer, half of it was reused footage from the initial teaser trailer.

As much as people say this looks like a video game... is actually an insult to recent DBZ video games, cutscenes in DBZ Kakarot and DBFZ have looked waaaay better than anything they have shown off here.

I can't believe this film releases in four months and THIS is all they have to show for it?

The Gammas do seem like fun antagonists though, I really like their designs and poses. And out of all the DBZ films since BoG this will be Gohan's first big, main focus fight scene, it took nine years but good for him!

I think with how Gohan was treated in the ToP, Moro Arc and now in this film, Gohan is in a pretty good place at least he's no longer a fucking embarrassment like in Resurrection F.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:35 am

Pan will be 3 years old in this movie, so we are just before the 28th world tournament.

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1472 ... 84/photo/3

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:38 am

The CG doesn't look the greatest, I agree that FighterZ looks better, but I still think it will be a fun movie and overall fans will probably like it. I just hope this doesn't become a permanent thing and they go back to hand drawn animation; we need more movies like DBS Broly.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:39 am

Thoughts:
+the voice choices for Gamma 1 & 2. Mamoro Miyano and Hiroshi Kamina.
+for Gohan getting a bigger role for the first time in a long while. He's not my #1, but I'm happy for those who he is.
+a scene where it's raining, as that is also rare in db
+imagining how adding Broli to Goku and Vegeta's training will work.

-the cgi frame rate still looks really bad, imo.
-nothing new about the plot revealed.
-still disappointed at them having to use RR again.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:44 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:25 am
HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:06 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:22 am Considering the movie is coming out in April I am mystified as to why they haven't dropped more details about the film yet. And the lack of new content in the second trailer is also a major concern for me as Toei seem to be quite reluctant to give more a glimpse as to how the film looks when there is actual fighting. The trailers for DBS Broly had no problems showing that shit off.

The marketing for this movie, in general, has been pretty poor, and I have a feeling that Toei knows there isn't much to this story and are keeping the details as scare as possible to hide that fact.
Probably because most of Broly was fighting and showing off how awesome Broly is because it’s Broly.

If the movie is more plot focused than Broly, which honestly isn’t hard, they’re not going to reveal it now and people usually hide the plot because of spoilers. Not because of a lack of plot, especially in an anime like Dragon Ball where 90% of the audience don’t watch for the plot.

Personally think the marketing fine. It’s only hardcore fans like this site that is being overly negative about everything. But this isn’t the first time since this site exploded in rage when Broly’s return.
How were the trailers for BoG or RoF? Were they like the Super Hero trailer in that regard as you explained?
Resurrection 'F' was a fighting showcase with the summering being 'Frieza's back!'. But Resurrection 'F' didn't really a plot either.

Battle of Gods was also a fighting showcase. Which was kinda deceitful since that movie didn't have much fighting and more slice-of-life.

Broly, fighting showcase with the animators flexing with some story cues from when Broly was a baby.

Overall, all Dragon Ball movies do usually show fighting because outside of Battle of Gods, none of them really had a deep plot. This movie is hiding more, but I doubt it's because 'they're hiding the thin plot' when that has never been what casual fans care about. Them hiding it seems to speak that there is more going on than people think.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:46 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:38 am The CG doesn't look the greatest, I agree that FighterZ looks better, but I still think it will be a fun movie and overall fans will probably like it. I just hope this doesn't become a permanent thing and they go back to hand drawn animation; we need more movies like DBS Broly.
As someone who just watched a tournament with FighterZ for four hours, I have to wonder if you guys remember what the game looks like and this is the 'everything looks like PS2' effect. Because FighterZ's model are nowhere near as detailed as this movie along with the rain effects.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:05 am

HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:46 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:38 am The CG doesn't look the greatest, I agree that FighterZ looks better, but I still think it will be a fun movie and overall fans will probably like it. I just hope this doesn't become a permanent thing and they go back to hand drawn animation; we need more movies like DBS Broly.
As someone who just watched a tournament with FighterZ for four hours, I have to wonder if you guys remember what the game looks like and this is the 'everything looks like PS2' effect. Because FighterZ's model are nowhere near as detailed as this movie along with the rain effects.
The framerates were extremely choppy

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:15 am

There were some nice looking shots throughout the trailer that show a lot of promise:
Basically anything with Gohan looked great. :lol:

I don't think we've ever seen a fight take place in rain before, have we?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:24 am

Looks atrocious. Spoilt rich kid financin bio-warrior/android...biobroly M11 much? 2 "Androids" *cough...cough* design rivals Doltacki, Pig/Mole/Duck Shenrons frm legendary dbgt. Goes without sayin how epic & legendary the battle scenes, storyboarding etc gonna be☺️

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:25 am

I mean I think it looks better than FighterZ too but only slightly cleaner image quality slightly higher detailed models. Basically for a game like FighterZ that also runs on a switch if all things, this is waaaaaaayyyyy too close to what we’ve already seen visually in a fast paced- real-time video game render.

To put it more succinctly, it visually looks more like a higher quality cutscene then a full fledged movie.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:26 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:05 am
The framerates were extremely choppy
FighterZ having 60 FPS frame rate doesn’t mean it looks better. Especially since FighterZ’s frame rate tanks on certain stages.

Objectively, the movie has superior character models, animation since the movie has far more fluid movement despite the choppy frame rate, lighting, and effects than FighterZ. What FighterZ does have is a more stable frame rate which makes fights smoother. The movie is more akin to Kakarot’s DLC cut scenes, which it’s also better than.

In short, the worse than about Super Heroes is the frame rate. Which is an issue that hopefully will be fixed since the frame rate gets more stable in every trailer.
Kanassa wrote:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:33 am

TheMikado wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:25 am
I mean I think it looks better than FighterZ too but only slightly cleaner image quality slightly higher detailed models. Basically for a game like FighterZ that also runs on a switch if all things, this is waaaaaaayyyyy too close to what we’ve already seen visually in a fast paced- real-time video game render.

To put it more succinctly, it visually looks more like a higher quality cutscene then a full fledged movie.
It’s more than just slightly better. FighterZ just captures the fast movements better because of the 60 FPS frame rate. FighterZ’s character models aren’t the best, but they’re suited for a fighting game. Especially with the over large hands. The movie in general is closer to Kakarot’s cut scenes from the DLC. For reference, look at the Future Saga in Kakarot.

For Japan CGI, this is high-end. It looks ‘video game’ because that’s what most remember when they see anime in CGI.
Kanassa wrote:

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:35 am

HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:46 amAs someone who just watched a tournament with FighterZ for four hours, I have to wonder if you guys remember what the game looks like and this is the 'everything looks like PS2' effect. Because FighterZ's model are nowhere near as detailed as this movie along with the rain effects.
I'm referring to how the models are animated and how they are directed to create dynamic set pieces along with imaginative camera work and model distortion when necessary. I find the Dramatic Finishers (especially the DLC ones) to look more visually striking than what Toei have shown off thus far.

But this shouldn't even be a conversation, this film should look leagues above Fighterz and Kakarot in every regard... but it doesn't.
HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:44 amThis movie is hiding more, but I doubt it's because 'they're hiding the thin plot' when that has never been what casual fans care about. Them hiding it seems to speak that there is more going on than people think.
What makes you so sure of this? What "Grand plot" could this film even be hiding? From what we've seen the story can be easily surmised so far as:
  • RRA Returns and creates Superhero Androids
  • These Superhero Androids are fed false information that the Z-Fighters are bad guys
  • The Z-Fighters and Superhero Androids fight
I'm pretty sure they're not showing much because they're isn't much impressive to show, it sounds the film is even releasing sooner than staff were expecting.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:37 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:15 am There were some nice looking shots throughout the trailer that show a lot of promise:

The final part of the fight where Alternate Timeline Adult Gohan lost his life to two Red Ribbon Army Androids took place in the rain.
It's of course pure coincidence Main Timeline Adult Gohan will be fighting 2 RRA Androids in the rain in this movie or is it :think:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:38 am

Maybe it's not as detailed, but with FighterZ they managed to somehow make it look almost identical to hand drawn animation, while Super Hero doesn't look like hand drawn animation at all IMO.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:39 am

Any information about the release in other countries? Or do I have to wait months like with Broly?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:44 am

dbgtFO wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:37 am
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:15 am There were some nice looking shots throughout the trailer that show a lot of promise:

The final part of the fight where Alternate Timeline Adult Gohan lost his life to two Red Ribbon Army Androids took place in the rain.
It's of course pure coincidence Main Timeline Adult Gohan will be fighting 2 RRA Androids in the rain in this movie or is it :think:
Oh damn! I didn’t even pick up on that. Good catch!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:46 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:38 am
Maybe it's not as detailed, but with FighterZ they managed to somehow make it look almost identical to hand drawn animation, while Super Hero doesn't look like hand drawn animation at all IMO.
FighterZ is honestly not that close to hand draw animation. The game’s movements is too choppy for that, which isn’t the case with Super Heroes outside of the frame rate. Which makes sense since FighterZ is a button input fighting game and too much animation is bad. Same with the limited effects that can tank frame rates.

Super Heroes isn’t supposed to look hand draw. It’s a CGI movie and they’re embracing that fact. Which is why it looks like Kakarot over FighterZ that no one references when talking about great CGI game animation in Dragon Ball. Which is ashamed since Kakarot’s cut scenes are god-tier.
Kanassa wrote: