Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:36 pm

Once again, speak for yourself please. Don’t worry about “the casuals.” What do YOU want? Who are you, what is your name, what excites you, and why?

"Don't go from Broly to Pan." Yes, do EXACTLY this. I didn’t like the last movie. I’m Mike, and I’m excited for this upcoming one.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:48 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:11 pm The clear lack of interest in this movie compared to the interest of Broly.
Citation needed.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:36 pm "Don't go from Broly to Pan." Yes, do EXACTLY this. I didn’t like the last movie. I’m Mike, and I’m excited for this upcoming one.
I like the last movie, and I am also excited for Pan.
However, I think it is valid to talk about how "successful" DBSSH will be in terms of revenue, as long as no one is making overly opinionated arguments. I don't think it's gonna surpass DBS Broly, but it might surpass RoF.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:59 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:11 pm Yes because it worked. It was more successful than the previous two movies put together and was the most well liked of the three. All they had to do was emulate that again.

People loved the art style, so keep the art style, keep the action, put Broly back in it and put an emphasis on him and then have the new story and villain and what not.

Don't go from Broly to Pan.
If Toriyama want to do something new give the man a chance beacuse he earned it,plus right now Dragon Ball is direction less let the man have some fun who knows it might be huge blockbuster in japan like DS movie.This movie's target audience is japan first then world wide audience.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:07 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:48 pm
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:11 pm The clear lack of interest in this movie compared to the interest of Broly.
Citation needed.
Look at how low the view count is for the trailers. Not even 3 million for any of them. The highest is only 2.9 million views for IGN trailer over 2 and a half months ago. I remember Broly's trailer getting more in a single day.

Then there's this embarrassment.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... per%20hero

Even over the past three months, Super Hero is barely a blip on the radar.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:10 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:59 pmThis movie's target audience is japan first then world wide audience.
That's why this will fail.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:11 pm

OK, but so what? You're not the president of Toei Animation, nor (presumably) a stockholder.

I understand the interest in the financial side of things (as someone who's extensively covered the financial news of this franchise since before Bandai Namco was a thing), but at some point... like, to what end are you doing this? What's your investment?

I guess your investment is the overall success and health of the franchise? Right? That's what we all probably want?

But... again, so what? They're taking the opportunity to make a weird fun little side project movie thing. They almost certainly -- dare I say unlike a big lot of you here? -- have realistic expectations about how this is going to go. Everyone making this movie is well aware of what its probable reach and impact and revenue will be.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:22 pm

I hope the frame rate for the final product is higher. CGI can be done well (Disney and Pixar) but a choppy frame rate will make even polished CGI look awkward and distracting in motion.

Some parts of the trailer look fine, but others feel off.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:11 pmOK, but so what?
So what....what? Do you ask everyone who makes opinions about the movie whether good or bad this question?

If I had said that the movie will do well for X, Y and Z you wouldn't be asking this "so what" then. So why is it randomly being asked me?

I'm not breaking any rules by bringing the discussion up so really whatever investment I may or not may not have in the matter is my own business.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:58 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:51 pm So what....what? Do you ask everyone who makes opinions about the movie whether good or bad this question?

If I had said that the movie will do well for X, Y and Z you wouldn't be asking this "so what" then. So why is it randomly being asked me?

I'm not breaking any rules by bringing the discussion up so really whatever investment I may or not may not have in the matter is my own business.
You in particular seem to have this very forced, determined, unswayable, fixed position on how this all should be working out, so I responded directly to you with pushback on that from my own perspective.

I didn't say you were breaking any rules. I'm responding to you. In a forum thread. In a conversation. Just like you said.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:17 pm

My assumption is that this is basically what they are marketing it as - a fun movie, with what’s basically a side story which explores some characters not named Goku and Vegeta more. The fact it is 3D may also confirm my hypothesis that this will be mostly a fun fillerish story with no huge impact on DB as a whole (although basically most of the stories since Battle of Gods, aside from U6 and the ToP, are in this camp). 3D might, after all, just be a tentative and not something definitive. Moreover, Shintani was announced as the future of DB and handpicked by Toriyama so him not being lead CD is weird. Maybe he’s starting work on a new anime, alongside Sumitomo too who’s the music of modern DB?

My wish is that Toriyama wrote it as a bridge to then get past this 10 year gap in which all Super’s stories are based. Maybe the movie will link everything up to set-up the starting situation of EoZ, which is that of Goku and Vegeta casually chilling on Earth + Goku suddenly wearing a new gi? Nowadays they are either fighting someone or hanging with Beerus and Whis so an explanation could theoretically be needed to link up Super with the end of the manga better.

I don’t think it’s all too conjectural as there may be some hints of the story finally going past EoZ, namely Uub’s role in the Moro arc + final comments of Goku to Vegeta hinting at Uub’s future appearances in the story, and now this movie heavily featuring Pan who, like Uub, is an EoZ character for the most part. Therefore showing more of her may be helpful to set-up future stories post-EoZ.

Just my two cents and wishes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:03 pm

The 3D is just always going to be a problem for some fans. I would have much preferred a more traditional looking movie but I will give them a chance. Lupin the 1st was a awesome example of 3D anime, so it can be done. If this movie does give much of its run time to Gohan, Piccolo and Pan that will be awesome. I will take any Gohan and Piccolo love they throw our way. I know movies 9-11 have thier detractors but I do queit enjoy them for the fact that other characters get to have adventures. I only hope that Goku and Vegeta dont show up at the very end to save the day.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:28 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:39 am The Broly movie did well because it featured a massively popular character, not seen for a while, a new form for Gogeta who was also mia for a long time and it just looked cool due to the art style. Trailers really sold the movie.
This looks like a regular episode but in video game cut scene form.
Agreed contrary to popular belief Broly was an EVENT level DB movie. That is the type of movie you need to hook people back to your franchise that’s been cold for 3+ yrs and have moved on to other shows. This movie is in the tier of Res F where if you don’t see it you miss nothing of importance.

It’s still not too late for Toei to backtrack and say this was whole thing is an early April Fools joke & that they are working on a real DB movie. :D

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:32 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:07 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:48 pm
Citation needed.
Look at how low the view count is for the trailers. Not even 3 million for any of them. The highest is only 2.9 million views for IGN trailer over 2 and a half months ago. I remember Broly's trailer getting more in a single day.

Then there's this embarrassment.

Even over the past three months, Super Hero is barely a blip on the radar.

Give it a rest. You think the movie creators don't know what the revenue/views side of things will be? They've been spamming Goku/Vegeta for years, way too predictable. Trying something new should be applauded. I'm looking forward to this movie.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:52 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:10 am
capsulecorp wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:05 am I wish we could move beyond these meta-comments about how much money this movie might make, or how much it might appeal to "casual fans" and so on.

I'm not a casual fan and I honestly couldn't care less about casual fans. I also think Toei already has MORE than enough money and don't really care about their bottom line.

I'll see this movie though! Even though the new trailer wasn't as exciting as the first.
By your logic marvel already has enough money so they should also stop appealing to casual fans all over the world and make movies for only hardcore comicbook fans, sorry to say it but that's not how it works.
well, my point was more about how we, the audience, talk about these topics. it's not about what toei or marvel should do.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:53 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:28 pm It’s still not too late for Toei to backtrack and say this was whole thing is an early April Fools joke & that they are working on a real DB movie. :D
Super Hero IS the real movie, bitch!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:23 pm

This movie looks interesting. I'm hyped.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:35 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:50 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:36 pm "Don't go from Broly to Pan." Yes, do EXACTLY this. I didn’t like the last movie. I’m Mike, and I’m excited for this upcoming one.
I like the last movie, and I am also excited for Pan.
However, I think it is valid to talk about how "successful" DBSSH will be in terms of revenue, as long as no one is making overly opinionated arguments. I don't think it's gonna surpass DBS Broly, but it might surpass RoF.
I suppose it's "valid", but my complaint is that it's BORING. None of the people discussing the financial impact of this new movie seem to have any special insight about the topic, its just speculation and conjecture, and frankly its trite and tedious. It might be more interesting to put its numbers in context AFTER the film has been out awhile, but for now... there's literally nothing to say, and it shows.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:43 pm

omaro34 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:32 pmGive it a rest. You think the movie creators don't know what the revenue/views side of things will be? They've been spamming Goku/Vegeta for years, way too predictable. Trying something new should be applauded. I'm looking forward to this movie.
With that logic no movie would ever flop would it?

Them spamming Goku and Vegeta year after year didn't stop the movies increasing in box office with each one did it? Last time they tried not focusing on one of the main characters was Bio Broly which predictably dropped off at the box office compared to previous movies before then picking back up again with Fusion Reborn which spammed Goku and Vegeta again.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:16 pm

It’s redonkulous to directly compare the days of two movies per year that aired exclusively in Japan after debuting as double- or triple-feature screenings at Toei festivals all the meanwhile having the original serialization and broadcast going on... to the modern day films.

Again, I have to ask you: what conversation are you even having here?